• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I'm seeing a lot of negative sentiment about Xbox regarding this, but how would this be any different from Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo being timed exclusive to PS5? At least in this case, you'll still be able to play Yakuza 7 on your PS5 with the PS4 version. Xbox owners can't play those two games at all.

It's not like Xbox paid Sega to keep Yakuza 7 off the PS4, while Playstation paid Bethesda to keep Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo off both Xbox platforms.
Why would my feelings about it be different if it were the other way around?
Moneyhatting is moneyhatting.
Except for specific cases in which the publisher (Sony, MS or Nintendo) played a crucial role in the development of the games they made exclusive.
Anyway, I don't think there is moneyhatting in this situation here, probably just a matter of communication.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I REALLY wouldn't put much stake into there not being a PS5 version. The rating having X1/XSX I think is fully due to how the game is marked on the box.

71HxdqczJpL.png

As the game isn't even listed as having 4K or HDR on XSX as of right now.
www.xbox.com

Optimized for Series X|S | Xbox

Games Optimized for Xbox Series X|S will showcase unparalleled visuals.

So it doesn't seem the XSX version of Yakuza 7 is going to be this earth shatteringly different experience than when you put your PS4 disc into the PS5.

It HAS to be rated by ESRB since "XBOX SERIES X" is on the case.

PS4 disk case has no reference to PS5, thus doesn't need the rating.

PS4 disk can still give you the a "PS5 upgrade patch" since that doesn't fall under ESRB. But The Xbox version needs the rating since it's being sold as an Xbox One/Xbox Series X product.
It's 100% these. Not sure why people are so dead set on spinning conspiracy theories over this.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
And Sega have decided the game stands a better chance of being noticed as part of a launch lineup when people tend to splurge and they have a fairly unique product.

I'm sure it will get a PS5 patch too but if not, you can always just buy a Xbox Series X if next-gen enhancements for this game are important to you.
honestly, I don't even know if it has so much to do with Sega deciding shit. Localization takes time and certainly doesn't happen overnight. Yakuza script sizes are quite sizeable, and I believe 7 has one of the bigger scripts in the series.

The games come out when they're ready in the west, and even if it weren't for the Series X marketing deal, I'd bet this game would have still come out this holiday season.

localization is something that is often not discussed enough, and it's a grueling task, that takes time. it's a thankless job and the fact that some are blaming MS and Sega for why it isn't coming out around the time previous Yakuza games have come out is kinda shitty.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting anything other than PS4 and PS5 w/ BC, so I'm not really missing anything.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's because PS users are the only ones that have played the whole series and the ones that supported it when SEGA didn't even care to localize the games last gen ; )

Not all PS players are single console owners and, equally, not all PS5 buyers have been playing every Yakuza game over the last 15 years.

When a series has been going this long there's not a lot of worth in talking about 'PS owners' or 'Xbox owners'. A lot of Xbox owners also have PlayStations and vice versa.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
There's a whole lot of gatekeeping, entitlement and conspiracy theories going on in here and it's really embarrassing.

I'm just happy the game is coming this year. The demo was extremely fun.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Crash 4 has Series X on the box and no Series X rating, so no, that's incorrect.
Could just be that SEGA decided that it was enough to file for rating and Activision didn't. Or Activision didn't, and might get in trouble for it.
I would lean towards the latter, since you need to rate for advertised platforms,

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That wouldn't be the case though. Crash 4 has Series X on the box as well but it's not under the Series X Optimized list.

6413923cv11d.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

If it was simply just BC, there wouldn't be a Series X Optimized badge on it.

I don't understand this kind of thing since most Xbox One games won't have Xbox Series X text on it, or a stamp that says "Xbox One Game Playable on Xbox Series X," which could create the thought in a consumer's mind any Xbox One game without said stamp aren't playable on Xbox Series X, when in fact they are. If it's an Xbox One game, just leave it at that and make sure to properly advertise the fact that your new system also plays Xbox One games.

Just my two cents. I'm not a marketing expert or anything though so don't mind me.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It's 100% these. Not sure why people are so dead set on spinning conspiracy theories over this.
Nope crash 4 has xsx on the box but nob rating for it. This is an exclusive xsx version that Ms probably paid for as part of the game pass deals. XOX also had some exclusive enhancements. Not sure why people think Ms couldn't possibly money hat stuff.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Could just be that SEGA decided that it was enough to file for rating and Activision didn't. Or Activision didn't, and might get in trouble for it.
I would lean towards the latter, since you need to rate for advertised platforms,

Or, there's not a Series X specific version Crash 4 and there is for Yakuza.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Literally one sentence would clarify this situation. Really think it is lame that this has been a question a lot of us have been wondering about for months now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Current gen is out. Next gen is not. It's gonna take some work to take advantage of that next gen tech. Maybe Microsoft helped?

Sega has completely refused to talk about Playstation regarding Yakuza 7 for months now when they used to be on the PS Blog all the time for previous releases.

It's extremely, extremely clear they held the game back to launch with XSX out of some desire to "associate" the Western release with Xbox. Microsoft probably snagged the marketing exclusivity as well.

This isn't exactly an uncommon practice, but it's FRUSTRATING given the cloudiness around the PS releases.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, not something I would assume, given it has that "Optimized for series X" badge and not marketed as a separate thing.

The Optimized for Series X badge implies there is Series X specific updates being added. If there wasn't, it would just be an Xbox case with no mention of Series X Optimized, just like Crash 4.

You wouldn't need Smart Delivery if there wasn't Series X specific updates to deliver to the system vs the code for Xbox Ones.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
We'll see what happens. Right now, I'm pissed off that Sega is refusing to even talk about the subject. If the PS5 and XSX versions are the same, there's no harm done. Just tell us.

But if they're upgrading the game for XSX and the PS5 version is literally just the PS4 version with no changes, I just won't buy the game period. I'm not supporting exclusivity on next-gen upgrades in any way.

Well so far there is no PS5 version at all being talked about, and isn't included in the press release for this western launch "this year".
I would argue the XSX version isn't getting some specific "upgrade" because it's a new console, but rather like most "cross-gen" games is getting as much of the PC features as it can muster.

From Xbox's own website info on the game - Yakuza Like a Dragon is not 4k, HDR, 60fps or with any other "next gen marketed features (ray tracing etc). However - this is entirely in line with what we know the engine is capable of at that spec.

Kiwami 2 on PC with the same engine can't reach 4k native, 60fps on a reference 2080ti at "ultra", but is pretty close. Run it at a slightly lower resolution and its quite substantially better than "current gen" consoles. Whether that is "next gen" enough I'm not sure.
My guess is that XSX will take the same fidelity improvements from PC but go for 1800p. Either it will do 60fps gameplay and 30fps cutscenes (like 0 and Kiwami 1) or it will be 30fps throughout.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
much earlier? They actually pushed the game back. It's already out in Japan.

It came out in January. How quickly do you think localization happens in a COVID landscape? It took 8 months for them localize Kiwami 2 and that was without a horrible disease screwing with everything. Yakuza 6 took a year and a half.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I would bet that Microsoft's money not only got them the next-gen exclusive update but also got the game to launch alongside the new consoles.

It would be a 11 months wait compared to Judgment's 6 months. By the time it comes out, the next game would have already been announced and couple months away.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I REALLY wouldn't put much stake into there not being a PS5 version. The rating having X1/XSX I think is fully due to how the game is marked on the box.

71HxdqczJpL.png

As the game isn't even listed as having 4K or HDR on XSX as of right now.
www.xbox.com

Optimized for Series X|S | Xbox

Games Optimized for Xbox Series X|S will showcase unparalleled visuals.

So it doesn't seem the XSX version of Yakuza 7 is going to be this earth shatteringly different experience than when you put your PS4 disc into the PS5.

If it doesn't have 4K or HDR support, then what does "Optimized for XSX" even mean? I guess 60fps? Like, what else is left?

Is the suggestion here that "Optimized for XSX" is basically the same as whatever enhancements Sega's already made for, say, the PS4 Pro? (Though I tried looking up what the PS4 Pro enhancements were for Y7 and didn't find anything concrete, so I'm not sure what to compare the potential XSX improvements to in the first place.)

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I don't understand this kind of thing since most Xbox One games won't have Xbox Series X text on it, or a stamp that says "Xbox One Game Playable on Xbox Series X," which could create the thought in a consumer's mind any Xbox One game without said stamp aren't playable on Xbox Series X, when in fact they are. If it's an Xbox One game, just leave it at that and make sure to properly advertise the fact that your new system also plays Xbox One games.

Just my two cents. I'm not a marketing expert or anything though so don't mind me.
The range of features that can garner an optimized badge seems pretty broad. In the end is just a buzz word were the optimizations could be anything or everything.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not quite sure what is going on with Sega/RGG Studio and Xbox for this title - but it does seem like some sort of deal has been made. It strikes me as out of place since Sony has brought tremendous support to the series.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The range of features that can garner an optimized badge seems pretty broad. In the end is just a buzz word were the optimizations could be anything or everything.

I was talking about Crash 4, which is a regular non-optimized Xbox One game, not the games that are Optimized for Series X.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

The biggest thing is that if there's a Series X Optimized badge on the box, it means there is specific Series X code vs Xbox One code that would just be played via BC. Like you mentioned, the extent of the changes can be very broad but at the very least it means the devs built a XSX specific version.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
I know it says "Optimized for Series X" but do we know what kind of enhancements are we getting? So far we know it ain't 4K nor 60fps so... Better graphics, loading times or some increase in resolution?

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I would bet that Microsoft's money not only got them the next-gen exclusive update but also got the game to launch alongside the new consoles.

It would be a 11 months wait compared to Judgment's 6 months. By the time it comes out, the next game would have already been announced and couple months away.
to be fair, I don't believe Atlus had, another game they were working on localizing in that 6 months for judgement.

With this situation Sakura Wars came out 2 months ago and resources were probably split between the two projects.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well so far there is no PS5 version at all being talked about, and isn't included in the press release for this western launch "this year".
I would argue the XSX version isn't getting some specific "upgrade" because it's a new console, but rather like most "cross-gen" games is getting as much of the PC features as it can muster.

From Xbox's own website info on the game - Yakuza Like a Dragon is not 4k, HDR, 60fps or with any other "next gen marketed features (ray tracing etc). However - this is entirely in line with what we know the engine is capable of at that spec.

Kiwami 2 on PC with the same engine can't reach 4k native, 60fps on a reference 2080ti at "ultra", but is pretty close. Run it at a slightly lower resolution and its quite substantially better than "current gen" consoles. Whether that is "next gen" enough I'm not sure.
My guess is that XSX will take the same fidelity improvements from PC but go for 1800p. Either it will do 60fps gameplay and 30fps cutscenes (like 0 and Kiwami 1) or it will be 30fps throughout.

Right. And I know what you mean, the Dragon Engine runs like shit on the PS4 in its current state. Its instability is honestly part of why I haven't enjoyed Yakuza 6 or Kiwami 2 as much as previous installments. The frame issues hurt my head.

That's why I'm saying if the PS5 version is JUST the PS4 version with no upgrades, I won't be buying the game at all. I'm not supporting one console getting updates while another doesn't. It's stupid.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The reason this isn't being rated for PS5 is likely because there's no PS5 SKU, whereas the Xbox SKU is for both Xbox One and Xbox Series X. The PS4 game will run on PS5 via BC, most likely, and then they'll just patch it. I doubt there's a conspiracy here. Why would Microsoft money hat a next generation version of Yakuza 7 when it's still available on the platform that it will sell the most on anyway (PS4)?

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
The biggest thing is that if there's a Series X Optimized badge on the box, it means there is specific Series X code vs Xbox One code that would just be played via BC. Like you mentioned, the extent of the changes can be very broad but at the very least it means the devs built a XSX specific version.
I'm actually very skeptical what it means XSX specific version. Could be a very simple patch to take advantage of the new hardware.

I think we will see a lot situations like Gears 5 were the devs will make a lot of effort in taking advantage of the hardware but we will get some were the differences with the last gen versions will be minimal.

In the end DF must be very happy they got a lot of work on their way and I'm ready to consume it all 😁

lemonade

May 8, 2018
to be fair, I don't believe Atlus had, another game they were working on localizing in that 6 months for judgement.

With this situation Sakura Wars came out 2 months ago and resources were probably split between the two projects.

During the IGN showcase, when asked what type of enhancement Series X would have, Sega could not say anything. They were saying they are still planning and nothing is set.

Pretty sure that means this whole next-gen upgrade thing was paid by MS and is clearly extending the localization time.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Small reminder that the Series X version had 0 enhancement to it as of last mont.

Timestamp: 13:50

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually very skeptical what it means XSX specific version. Could be a very simple patch to take advantage of the new hardware.

I think we will see a lot situations like Gears 5 were the devs will make a lot of effort in taking advantage of the hardware but we will get some were the differences with the last gen versions will be minimal.

In the end DF must be very happy they got a lot of work on their way and I'm ready to consume it all 😁

That would still be XSX specific vs Xbox One base code running in BC.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Excited for it, I hope to see the other games on PC as well.

But if it was moneyhatted for XBX, then stop that shit.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It came out in January. How quickly do you think localization happens in a COVID landscape? It took 8 months for them localize Kiwami 2 and that was without a horrible disease screwing with everything. Yakuza 6 took a year and a half.
That would be a fair explanation for why it's only Series X for now, but it doesn't explain why they're not being more transparent and specific about the circumstances. It was officially announced a whole year out from release that Sony was working with Sega for the western release of Yakuza 5 for PS3. We're less than 6 months from launch here. We could probably lose the weird tiptoeing around from these corporations in the ways that suits them and only them.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
You'll get the PS5 patch anyway.

ESRB doesn't need a PS5 rating since the PS4 box has no mention of PS5.
ESRB just rates native versions, not BC. The Zelda Oracles had GBA features that were advertised on the box way back when but it's only rated for GBC.

ESRB rating Yakuza 7 for XSX means it's for a native XSX build and release of the game. Not a boosted or patched One version that runs on XSX, a native port.