• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
What's up with the PS5 version of this? Thought it was a given.

As was mentioned at the time, the press release mentioned all platforms except PS5 for this western release "this year". Presumably it's a thing next year, but for whatever reason they are not releasing a PS5 version this year it seems. I can only imagine some weird exclusivity, or some super special PS5 version (which makes less sense when considering MS are promoting the western release with XSX / XBO)

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'd wager Sega wasn't planning to do next-gen enhancements at all but MS paid for an XSX version. There really isn't any point in paying for next-gen console exclusivity while allowing a PS4 version.

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
PC date stat! Also can we hope for 3-6 coming out on other platforms also? And what's with the PS5 version?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Feels increasingly like Sega never intended to make next-gen versions of Yakuza 7 and possibly Microsoft gave them money to do so for XSX. I can't think of another explanation that cuts the PS5 out like this, unless this is all really just because some random PS5 announcement hasn't dropped yet.

EDIT: or what stealthyfrog said

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean at least you can play the PS4 copy on the PS5? Still sucks there is no native version.

I might go for the PC version if I can run it good.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Australia got its rating last month. Another R18+ for us

www.classification.gov.au

YAKUZA: LIKE A DRAGON

The Australian Classification website comprises information for general public and industry about the classification of films, games and publications.

Cool that Pegi and ESRB have rated it. Hope a release date is revealed this week.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Feels increasingly like Sega never intended to make next-gen versions of Yakuza 7 and possibly Microsoft gave them money to do so for XSX. I can't think of another explanation that cuts the PS5 out like this, unless this is all really just because some random PS5 announcement hasn't dropped yet.

I'm guessing SEGA didn't plan for a next-gen version until MS came along then?

Except that doesn't fit either, since the PC version is around, and that is very much expected to be similar to Yakuza Kiwami 2, a very significant leap over PS4/PS4 Pro. I don't really know where you want to draw the "next gen" line, but it fits as much as anything else "cross gen", where we expect better framerates, resolution, fidelity etc

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well, at least you should be able to play the PS4 version on the PS5 with backwards compatibility. Seems like there will be no enhancements though.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Other folks have already said, but it's more likely that a next-gen version wasn't planned and Microsoft went ahead and said, "Hey, here's the money to make an Xbox Series X version / patch."

Why is that "more likely"? Because it's what people want to believe and makes them feel better about the situation? What evidence is there that allows anyone to draw a conclusion either way other than the one they badly want to believe?

ClydeBonFrog

Apr 17, 2018
Really kind of surprised by this. Sony kind of supported this series for years, announcing the localization of Yakuza 5 at PSX for example. I want to say I read somewhere that the creator spoke about Sony's support. I have no qualms about it going multiplatform, just surprised Sega veered away from Sony quite a bit with this release.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely shitty that Sega seems to be ignoring the PS5 with this game. They have had EVERY opportunity to clarify and they've been dead silent as to why they're ignoring the PS audience.

I guess at this point I'm just gonna skip it until they put out a statement explaining why.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Why is that "more likely"? Because it's what people want to believe and makes them feel better about the situation? What evidence is there that allows anyone to draw a conclusion either way other than the one they badly want to believe?
lmao why are you antagonizing people for theorizing how a business deal went down

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope that the series version settings and whatnot is just a patch for the ps4 version on ps5 to get the same results without a seperate sku.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I REALLY wouldn't put much stake into there not being a PS5 version. The rating having X1/XSX I think is fully due to how the game is marked on the box.

71HxdqczJpL.png

As the game isn't even listed as having 4K or HDR on XSX as of right now.
www.xbox.com

Optimized for Series X|S | Xbox

Games Optimized for Xbox Series X|S will showcase unparalleled visuals.

So it doesn't seem the XSX version of Yakuza 7 is going to be this earth shatteringly different experience than when you put your PS4 disc into the PS5.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely shitty that Sega seems to be ignoring the PS5 with this game. They have had EVERY opportunity to clarify and they've been dead silent as to why they're ignoring the PS audience.

I guess at this point I'm just gonna skip it until they put out a statement explaining why.
Statement: Money

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Really bad decision from the Yakuza team if this turns out true in the end.
It doesn't matter if MS paid for a update or for a exclusivity patch.
Im pretty sure that with the money they already made from Yakuza 7 sales on PS they could do a PS5 patch.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I REALLY wouldn't put much stake into there not being a PS5 version. The rating having X1/XSX I think is fully due to how the game is marked on the box.

71HxdqczJpL.png

www.xbox.com

So it doesn't seem the XSX version of Yakuza 7 is going to be this earth shatteringly different experience than when you put your PS4 disc into the PS5.

Yeah, I'm with Jaw here.

This really just seems like a branding thing. Sega probably don't want to press seperate PS5 discs when it's just an enhancement (that the PS4 version will probably have anyway) whereas it's just one SKU on Xbox. It's not released for Xbox One and Xbox Series X, it's coming out for Xbox One/Series X. There's only one Xbox version.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks to see this generation starting with moneyhats. Microsoft with this bullshit and sony with there timed bethesda exclusivity.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It HAS to be rated by ESRB since "XBOX SERIES X" is on the case.

PS4 disk case has no reference to PS5, thus doesn't need the rating.

PS4 disk can still give you the a "PS5 upgrade patch" since that doesn't fall under ESRB. But The Xbox version needs the rating since it's being sold as an Xbox One/Xbox Series X product.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Day 1 on PC? That'd be nice.

This is already confirmed. It'll come out on PC at the same time.

news.xbox.com

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Launches Day One on Xbox Series X - Xbox Wire

Yakuza: Like a Dragon, an explosive new entry point in the acclaimed Yakuza series, will be releasing as a launch title on the next-gen Xbox Series X, with simultaneous releases on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC. We’re also excited to announce that Yakuza: Like a Dragon will support Xbox Series X...

Yakuza: Like a Dragon, an explosive new entry point in the acclaimed Yakuza series, will be releasing as a launch title on the next-gen Xbox Series X, with simultaneous releases on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Sega would just come out and explain this shit. Between this, the paid hard mode and new game plus (something that was free in the earlier games) and no news about wether we will get a brawler game or not, I am really worried for this series.

It was a good run...

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017

71HxdqczJpL.png

www.xbox.com

Oh man, didn't even think of it as simply as that. Have to imagine that's it.