• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how big a part this dude had in Judgement?

He's the main villain. So its hilarious to just expect them to push his character model away as if its no big deal. He's fantastically acted throughout the game so just removing that character model, which looks fantastic (especially with the actors facial mannerisms) would be throwing away a huge part of the game, both in terms of plot and impact. Getting rid of his voice and/or likeness would be a massive blow to the game.

Sep 28, 2018
SEGA really honestly have the worst luck... They make excellent games that don't sell half as well as they deserve and then things like this... This must be devastating for Toshiro Nagoshi and the Ryu Ga Gotoku team...

I have the game pre-ordered... Seriously hope it's fine...

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
"Just realized how serious drug are in Japan"

Over 70 thousand Americans died in 2017 in drug abuse. Seems to me the US needs to get more serious.

Dude, how old are you? 12?
It's super obvious that you don't know shit about drugs. Some of the things you said here are just plain wrong and out of touch with reality. Better stop making yourself look like an ignorant and very uneducated person.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
U guys are killing me with your bias. So if that's the case the US has a relatively low alcohol problem too because it comes in at #48 which isn't much higher stats wise than Japan's 71 since we are factoring in 191 countries. And any major US city's downtown you're going to see binge drinking, besides his one hyperbole statement of 'half'
I was about to reply to you about the wild generalization made in the oiginal post by zakatana, but I see you've edited that part.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I was about to reply to you about the wild generalization made in the oiginal post by zakatana, but I see you've edited that part.

I put it back in, im multitasking too hard. Outside of him saying 'HALF' which is obvious and intentional hyperbole in one sentence, I don't see what's wrong with his statement where there's plenty of alcohol abuse in the country...when there's plenty of alcohol abuse in the country. There's news articles, documentaries, etc.

My issue is that Japan approach to law enforcement and things like this tends to be more about suppression (hence the reason of the post) than nuanced evaluation (my previous gripe on their unnatural prosecution rate)

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Can you give examples? Which games do you think could've been removed from shelves for these reasons?

In Japan, women in Japan get harassed en masse if they speak up. We saw that during the japanese #metoo equivalent, to the point they now use #wetoo to show they're not alone. A woman in Japan that speaks up at the workplace usually assumes *she* will be the one in trouble. We won't have many named examples unless the culprits are so ridiculously gross that they sound more ridiculous than parody.

We do have the latter. Like, say, the case of the idol that had to apologize after being harassed(clearly, the problem was her speaking up, of course). Or how about Yutaka Yamamoto, who was not only fired twice for his sexual harassment (including of minors!), but who has stated multiple times he'd just continue harassing women. Not a single series of his was pulled in response, even though his actions are far worse than hard drug usage (which is absolutely bad, btw).

Or how about advisors to the prime minister, who stated such in public:

"The deepest suffering belongs to the men who are plagued with the symptoms of train groper syndrome in which his hand automatically moves when he steps on a packed train and catches a whiff of a woman. Repeated offenses show that it is an uncontrollable urge stemming from the brain. Shouldn't society protect and reserve their rights to grope [women]? Oh, you'll probably say we should think of the the shock it causes for a woman. If you want to talk about shock, well, the sight of the honorable LGBT walking in the streets in mainstream media is shocking to me. Shocking to the point of a being deadly threat to me."

(underlining and bold mine)

These are the guys the prime minister surrounds himself with.

We can observe a very clear pattern, where sexual harassment is protected and defended, and only if it gets so bad it's beyond parody bad, the person responsible gets individually sacked (usually without even stating the reason publically, like in Yamamotos first firing), without affecting the work. Drugs are certainly bad, but we don't see men like Ogawa stating that drugs need to be protected and that he'd take drugs in public, now do we? But we do see him state that rape's fine and the rapist is the real victim.

It has a reason he dares to do so.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Man, Sega invested hard on a new fun IP, only for it getting middling sales in Japan and now -- before the Western release -- this happens. Worst luck.

For such a well regarded nation, Japan has a ton of social problems. Being forced (by society) to ostracize people for dumb things like cocaine possession is one of many.

Last edited:

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
He's the main villain. So its hilarious to just expect them to push his character model away as if its no big deal. He's fantastically acted throughout the game so just removing that character model, which looks fantastic (especially with the actors facial mannerisms) would be throwing away a huge part of the game, both in terms of plot and impact. Getting rid of his voice and/or likeness would be a massive blow to the game.
Ah shit, this is never coming out, lol

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
And using draconian methods to deal with the issue of users doesn't fucking help and only creates more problems. But sure, attempt to get in the saddle of that high-fucking-horse that you think you have.
Do note I'm not agreeing with going hard on users, I believe users do need help rather than harsh punishment. I specifically have an issue with people in the thread acting like cocaine isn't that bad and the only person hurt by it is the user.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Funny how in most Asian countries excessive consumption of Alcohol is OK, but any other drugs, nope.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Really hope they just leave it alone for the West. I can't imagine the actor taking drugs impacts the game in any form over here.

Edit - Saw the update. Yeah, I could see this impacting the West now and a big patch happening depending on how internal SEGA feels.

Last edited:

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I put it back in, im multitasking too hard. Outside of him saying 'HALF' which is obvious and intentional hyperbole in one sentence, I don't see what's wrong with his statement where there's plenty of alcohol abuse in the country...when there's plenty of alcohol abuse in the country. There's news articles, documentaries, etc.

My issue is that Japan approach to law enforcement and things like this tends to be more about suppression (hence the reason of the post) than nuanced evaluation (my previous gripe on their unnatural prosecution rate)
No problem, I agree completely with the rest of your assessment of the issue here.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
So am I crazy or did Best Buy never update the release date on their page? Cus it currently says Dec 31 for me.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Damn that's scary, it's not only the voice actor of the protagonist this time but also his actual face is in the game.

What would they have to do to make it ok? Change the dude ??? lol

It might actually get cancelled

Edit: Nvm it's not the protagonist my bad i'm brainfarting

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how in most Asian countries excessive consumption of Alcohol is OK, but any other drugs, nope.
I mean, China did get flooded with Opium that helped destroy its country. Obviously, everything is a lot different now, but you could see why asian countries would be wary of drugs.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Damn that's scary, it's not only the voice actor of the protagonist this time but also his actual face is in the game.

What would they have to do to make it ok? Change the protagonist??? lol

It might actually get cancelled
Side character not protagonist. But he's in it enough for it to be a problem to simply remove and replace

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
They'll delay the release just long enough to be massacred by the big holiday games

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Do note I'm not agreeing with going hard on users, I believe users do need help rather than harsh punishment. I specifically have an issue with people in the thread acting like cocaine isn't that bad and the only person hurt by it is the user.

Which only a few users in this thread have actually postured, who you could have responded to directly instead of making a blanket statement to avoid direct engagement.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Oooooof yeah that's gonna be a redo and recast for sure, Japan's hella not down with drug stuff whatsoever

It'll be a months long delay

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Some people sounds like they think a dude randomly doing cocaine a night in a party is suddenly an addict and already needs treatment.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Could it be Yakuza Studio already scrambling meeting right now to replace Pierre Taki?

It's an unexpected development, and shame to let Judgment marketing go to waste; all that Englsih voice acting & such...

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Could it be Yakuza Studio already scrambling meeting right now to replace Pierre Taki?

It's an unexpected development, and shame to let Judgment marketing go to waste; all that Englsih voice acting & such...

I'd bank on it yeah

They can keep the English dub but they have to redo his likeness and Japanese VO for sure

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? We already have confirmation from NHK to the press that every episode of various drama series Taki appeared in is getting pulled, Sony Music has made public statement that they're pulling all Denki Groove CDs, and Disney has also made public statement about changing VA.
None of these are quietly removing stuff unannounced, and this is only a start and I'm sure more are to follow.

Holy shiiiiit

Music itself shouldn't be responsible for musician's crimes

Fuuuuuuuuuuk

P.s.
What about Forbidden Siren 2? He had cool character there

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It should be noted that drugs are super illegal in Japan. So if a celebrity gets (allegedly) caught with them, all their work gets immediately removed from the public eye, which is why Sega is doing this. This is a pretty standard procedure. I'm sure Judge Eyes will eventually go on sale again, but it's still a pretty bad situation for now. I really, really hope this won't affect the western release.

the pretty fucked thing is that he didn't get brought up on possession charges. They found nothing. He failed a urine test, so they arrested him. They arrested him on usage...

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
"Just realized how serious drug are in Japan"

Over 70 thousand Americans died in 2017 in drug abuse. Seems to me the US needs to get more serious.

The US sees drug addicts as victims that need help instead of criminals that need punishment.

The opioid crisis is killing people, I don't think we should respond by arresting the users.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
This fucking sucks. If it was only going to effect the Japanese release, whatever. But clearly it's going to be wider than that.

No amount of cultural relativism will convince me that Japanese drug laws are anything but barbaric and it's scary that this 1984-like personal deletion is just accepted there.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
"Generalization".
https://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/pn.38.23.0012

If you haven't lived in Japan and especially in a big city like Tokyo or Osaka, you literally do not know what you are talking about.
I'm Japanese and live in Japan and work in Tokyo so I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Edit: and that article you linked is from 2003, that's 15 years ago and situation has drastically changed over that time.
Here's the latest government report on alcohol consumption in Japan, and overall consumption has come down by over 10% in the last 20 years, with drastic reduction with people in their 20s.

Last edited:

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks, and I feel bad for Sega. It's going to take months, and a lot of money to replace him.

It'll be wild if they Benoit this game.