• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I doubt it's a port of that old collections. Probably a new collection with a similar name.
dd0.jpg

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
These are absolutely the old ports.

MGS1 has the bad texture filtering of the PC port.

MGS2 is 4:3 and has the 2003 copyright date of Substance on PC.

MG1 had a 2006 copyright from the Subsistence inclusion.

The Castlevania and Contra collection is a rerelease of this ancient 2002 CD-ROM rom dump: https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Konami_Collector's_Series:_Castlevania_&_Contra
Good observation, though I find myself even more baffled how and why they are going through the effort of extracting that from a PS2 game. Let alone not porting that version of Metal Gear 2 as well.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If they don't want to do the work for these, at least bring Castlevania Requiem, at least that one will sell.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Konami just port all of them. They will sell and having a version of MGS4 not stuck on the PS3 would be very welcome. I'd like to play that game but it is a terrible experience on that console.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Probably just the same old MGS PC ports but now on digital storefronts.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't the Castlevania news I've been hoping for... we'll never get that 2nd Anniversary Collection with the GBA and DS games, will we?

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I think the s reenshots in the article are.just from the old games, just to provide a visual reference. They are non from the new collections.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope these are modern remasters/ports, not just straight porting the originals with no enhancements. I have very low expectations though, especially if they seem to be solo releases. Please Konami. :(

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I find it crazy that a ton of studios don't go back and just dump emulated versions of their old games on Steam or something. The fact games like Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy Tactics aren't on there is a fucking shame. And I'd honestly probably pay a good $20 a pop for them.

I played it a few years ago on a legit PSOne on a CRT. I was surprised that I still enjoyed it. I found it super easy as an adult, which was definitely not the case for 12 year old me.

I also played Mega Man Legends for the first time ever. I wound up fucking loving it, once I got over the weird controls. Gotta get to the second one one of these days.

there is a publisher that puts PS1 games in emulated containers on steam. (https://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Console Classics) More publishers should do it. Just because Sony forcefully refuses to make old games available doesn't mean others can't.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
God I hope we get to a point where the entire series is playable on PC. It would be nice to have Peacewalker also.
I mean, it kind of is.

We should never discount emulators, even if they're not PC native. PCSX2 and RPCS3 are both capable of running MGS2, MGS3, and every PS1 emulator on Earth can handle MGS1 and the games before it. PPSSPP handles Portable Ops and PW, and PW works great on RPCS3, too. Coupled with the MGS5 native PC version, the only thing that can't be reliably played on PC is MGS4.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
please don't be shit ports
If that's legitimately the PC version of MGS, then I hope it's not just a direct "port" or re-release, either. The stealth camo effect is really taxing on the engine and destroys performance unless you toggle a simplified effect that just makes the "invisible" person too easy to see. Also, the FAMAS is straight-up busted during the sequence when you have to make it up the stairs in the tower in alert mode.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Surely they have to do something to these ports if they want to charge money for them in 2020. Surely.

I'll be completely unsurprised if they don't

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Who was asking for that old 2002 Contra+Castlevania NES game collection when the Anniversary Collections are newer with more games?

Rereleasing that instead of Silent Hill 2-4 (which already have PC ports) is so peak Konami.

Still bears repeating that I am still very excited that MGS1 is out of PS1 prison to be purchased in this day and age.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hideo Kojima is still in the credits and stuff in the games. They might yank his name off of the credits.

I doubt they're putting even that much work into these releases. These are likely just the original ports being made available digitally for the first time. Thankfully fans have fixed MGS2 over the years.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do they need to take the main theme out of MGS2? I forgot what the situation was with that.

No. Kojima made the decision to stop using the theme on his own. There was never a legal battle or anything.

It'll likely be the PS360/Vita/Nvidia Shield version of MGS2, not the PS2 version. Those versions have KojiPro branding everywhere like the later games.

Not likely. If they were going to use those versions, MGS3 should also be here. MGS1 and 2 being the only ones rated essentially confirms that they're re-releasing the old pre-existing PC ports.

Jun 4, 2018
Do they need to take the main theme out of MGS2? I forgot what the situation was with that.

Probably not-- the main theme became an issue years prior to MGS4, and the theme was present in the MGS HD Collection, so no worries on that front! Besides, I don't believe it was ever really as big of an issue as it was an embarrassment for Kojima (and Konami, I assume).