• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't the the "power level", it is that whatever console you offer needs to have some kind of desirability not already addressed by existing big players like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft which in turn should cater to an audience broad enough to sustain the business.
In short for Sega (or any other company) to re-renter the console business they need first to understand what they can offer that others doesn't and that can be successful (that is profitable in the medium/long term in a capacity that make worth the initial investment).
It's not cheap to launch a new "serious"* console.

* For "serious" I mean a console that could warrant actively new threads in here, not something like the Intellivision Amico that it's at best a curiosity.
Well none of the big 3 are offering Sega arcades nor Sega legacy series. Not even Sonic at this point. I mean, that's the point of this thread. Also audience broad enough means a lot of things. Niche markets exits. Power level discussion is about to keep investment "low". I know it's not cheap but it's not in the level Series X/PS5 investment.
And the idea came up considering Sega Genesis mini was a success. I don't know numbers but Imagine if that is the case. Maybe Sega hardware make sense somehow.
That being said, this is just a fun speculation/ idea.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It would take a miracle for Atlus to port mainline Persona games to other platforns.

QUMKzbR.gif

People have lofty expectation of Microsoft.

lol, and SEGA. I love them but I think a new console that isn't the same concept as a Mini Classic system would probably be dead on arrival. :/

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Well none of the big 3 are offering Sega arcades nor Sega legacy series. Not even Sonic at this point.
Neither were during the Dreamcast days (well if we exclude Sonic Pocket Adventure on Neo Geo Pocket Color), it didn't help much.

Also audience broad enough means a lot of things.
An audience broad enough to sustain the business.

Niche markets exits. Power level discussion is about to keep investment "low". I know it's not cheap but it's not in the level Series X/PS5 investment.
And the idea came up considering Sega Genesis mini was a success. I don't know numbers but Imagine if that is the case. Maybe Sega hardware make sense somehow.
That being said, this is just a fun speculation/ idea.
It depends on what you refer for Sega hardware.
Foe instance a new console is different from a cheap emulation box conceived to just run just a few dozens of legacy games.
I don't really consider the Mega Drive Mini as a proof of Sega can re-enter the console market.

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
The truth of the matter is that from a fan/consumer standpoint, if this "scoop" isn't that Sega is releasing a new console to compete with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo then the journalists claims are, and have always been BS. If it was a casual, "ohh I have some news. Check out the Famitsu issue", then ok. It could be something noteworthy. But the language used such as, "revolutionary" and "rile up the industry" draws that line in the sand so deep, that you either do have the news that a hardware challenge from Sega is coming. Or, you have just died completely on your arse.

Considering Sega have not even acknowledged this "news" in the slightest, means I am all in on the latter.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Yeah, the language used that this is a revelation similar to the Wired PS5 article suggests a platform announcement of some sort. A game reveal or catalogue of games isn't on the same scale, nor is a mini-emulation box, nor an arcade platform.

So the announcer has over-hyped it and needs a kick in the balls, or other possibilities:

1) Console market - unlikely, cost of entry too high.
2) Handheld market - depends. If competing with smartphones and Switch, tough market.
3) VR market - possibilities. The market needs more competition to drive adoption, and is in its infancy still on both PC and console.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I have doubts it'll be anything substantial, and it certainly wouldn't be in competition with the others at all.

If it is a device (which I'm sceptical about), it could be a small gaming device that does something completely different. I'm thinking more like the PlayDate, or as some have suggested a small console with their legacy titles on it for for people to buy. The latter of which is an extension of what they did with the Mini in some respects, so it's not too far fetched.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just looked at this thread now. People thought they were going to buy Sega?

Why is it when "Microsoft buys" it is nearly always a publisher? Nope not a studio inside Sega but the whole publisher.

It was Konami recently and another publisher which the name currently escapes me before that.

People have lofty expectation of Microsoft.
Also have they seen the devs that's been purchased by MS? They are small studios, perfect for quantity approach to XGP. I was honestly expecting a streaming service or some like a SEGA gamepass but this is.... not it lol

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither were during the Dreamcast days (well if we exclude Sonic Pocket Adventure on Neo Geo Pocket Color), it didn't help much.

An audience broad enough to sustain the business.

It depends on what you refer for Sega hardware.
Foe instance a new console is different from a cheap emulation box conceived to just run just a few dozens of legacy games.
I don't really consider the Mega Drive Mini as a proof of Sega can re-enter the console market.
fair points

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
Sega were always pushing and at the forefront for new features like cdrom, online gaming etc...

I hope it's AI/ML related. Or the revival of Sega Channel.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Sega really couldn't do anything that would rile the industry unless all their IP gets acquired by a big player. which... maybe?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I read earlier Famitsu stories usually leak the Tuesday right, so we should know today

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, the language used that this is a revelation similar to the Wired PS5 article suggests a platform announcement of some sort. A game reveal or catalogue of games isn't on the same scale, nor is a mini-emulation box, nor an arcade platform.

So the announcer has over-hyped it and needs a kick in the balls, or other possibilities:

1) Console market - unlikely, cost of entry too high.
2) Handheld market - depends. If competing with smartphones and Switch, tough market.
3) VR market - possibilities. The market needs more competition to drive adoption, and is in its infancy still on both PC and console.

It's likely to be just a game announcement and thats it. If sega were releasing hardware or it was Sega getting bought out/collaborating with MS theres no way it would be announced exclusively in Famitsu.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Please note that I have no insider knowledge on this topic and even if I did, I would not share it:

Stop thinking about Sega getting back into the console space, that isn't happening. Rumors of the Microsoft partnerships are absurd at best.

My crazy idea (since we are going with crazy ideas):

With that said, you know what would be a pretty major announcement that would be worthy of some hype, but still a bit of a letdown for some? If Sega announced that they were turning one of the engines into a publically available one, ala Unreal or Unity, to help developers transition to the new generation.

It meets all the criteria discussed within this thread and isn't nearly as dumb as any of the new console stuff (which I could be wrong about but I doubt it, this is not the messaging you'd want to use for that kind of announcement unless its something small).

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Please note that I have no insider knowledge on this topic and even if I did, I would not share it:

Stop thinking about Sega getting back into the console space, that isn't happening. Rumors of the Microsoft partnerships are absurd at best.

My crazy idea (since we are going with crazy ideas):

With that said, you know what would be a pretty major announcement that would be worthy of some hype, but still a bit of a letdown for some? If Sega announced that they were turning one of the engines into a publically available one, ala Unreal or Unity, to help developers transition to the new generation.

It meets all the criteria discussed within this thread and isn't nearly as dumb as any of the new console stuff (which I could be wrong about but I doubt it, this is not the messaging you'd want to use for that kind of announcement unless its something small).
Hmm. Sega did have ambitions for making the first Hedgehog Engine available as middleware but that never panned out. I don't see what any of their currently-used internally engines would do better than Unreal or Unity, though, and Sega would have to build out the infrastructure for supporting devs who buy into their middleware.

Certainly more plausible than a Sega Series X, though.

Last edited:

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Hmm. Sega did have ambitions for making the first Hedgehog Engine available as middleware but that never panned out. I don't see what any of their currently-used internally engines would do better than Unreal or Unity, though, and Sega would have to build out the infrastructure for supporting devs who buy into their middleware.

I mean if you scale back the idea, they could just be announcing their next-gen game engine period. I think that's all much closer to whatever will be announced than zany new consoles for 5 buyers.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
Would love this. Even better if it resulted in some old Saturn games getting localized.

Well, imo it's one of three things.

1. Microsoft and Sega partnership of some kind, I've seen others think maybe all future Sega games on GamePass day 1, which I could easily see and I'd be happy with that. But, if it's "industry shattering" I'm not sure this would fall in that neighborhood.

2. It's a retro mini console with an x amount of preloaded games with the capability to download more from a Sega Store type thing as the other poster said. This is a bit closer to "industry shattering" since that one would have a capability none of Nintendo's Minis did, a feature a lot of folks asked them to consider. If that's it and it includes Saturn, I'd positively buy it depending on what Saturn games it included or I could download. If it included the ability to buy Albert Odyssey, Magic Knight Rayearth, Legend of Oasis along with other RPGs plus a lot of the platformers I'd buy it right away.

3. I would normally dismiss it but I'm wondering if that rumor from a while back saying Microsoft is buying then out is it. That'd be much closer to "industry shattering". I wouldn't be mad at all. If they had Microsoft's funding, all Sega games GamePass day 1, and their retro catalog available on the Xbox Store I'd personally be happy.

There was also suggestion Microsoft and Sega may have cut a deal for Seya branded Xbox Series X in Japan to help get more sales in that market but I can't see that since Microsoft effectively left there long ago. Japan is probably lost to Microsoft now. I don't think it'd matter what name you slapped on it, I doubt anything would truly help them there now. However, I've read Sega is still fairly popular and has good name recognition in Japan with Sega arcades, etc so....I'm not writing this one off but imo it's still unlikely. We'll see in a few days what it is.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK

1. Microsoft and Sega partnership of some kind, I've seen others think maybe all future Sega games on GamePass day 1, which I could easily see and I'd be happy with that. But, if it's "industry shattering" I'm not sure this would fall in that neighborhood.

2. It's a retro mini console with an x amount of preloaded games with the capability to download more from a Sega Store type thing as the other poster said. This is a bit closer to "industry shattering" since that one would have a capability none of Nintendo's Minis did, a feature a lot of folks asked them to consider. If that's it and it includes Saturn, I'd positively buy it depending on what Saturn games it included or I could download. If it included the ability to buy Albert Odyssey, Magic Knight Rayearth, Legend of Oasis along with other RPGs plus a lot of the platformers I'd buy it right away.

3. I would normally dismiss it but I'm wondering if that rumor from a while back saying Microsoft is buying then out is it. That'd be much closer to "industry shattering". I wouldn't be mad at all. If they had Microsoft's funding, all Sega games GamePass day 1, and their retro catalog available on the Xbox Store I'd personally be happy.

There was also suggestion Microsoft and Sega may have cut a deal for Seya branded Xbox Series X in Japan to help get more sales in that market but I can't see that since Microsoft effectively left there long ago. Japan is probably lost to Microsoft now. I don't think it'd matter what name you slapped on it, I doubt anything would truly help them there now. However, I've read Sega is still fairly popular and has good name recognition in Japan with Sega arcades, etc so....I'm not writing this one off but imo it's still unlikely. We'll see in a few days what it is.
This news does not involve Microsoft - their involvement was ruled out from an earlier post, a source under NDA confirmed it is related to Sega though.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
It's not going to be the case, but I would love for this to be an announcement of Sega Sammy and Nintendo merging.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is it:

ufo.sega.com

【アーカイブ】セガ設立60周年特設サイト

セガ設立60周年特設ページです。わたしたちセガグループは2020年6月3日に設立60周年を迎えました。当コンテンツでは60周年を記念して販売される製品や物販の紹介、セガ60年の歴史、また皆様からいただいたメッセージを紹介しています。

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I wonder if this is it:

ufo.sega.com

【アーカイブ】セガ設立60周年特設サイト

セガ設立60周年特設ページです。わたしたちセガグループは2020年6月3日に設立60周年を迎えました。当コンテンツでは60周年を記念して販売される製品や物販の紹介、セガ60年の歴史、また皆様からいただいたメッセージを紹介しています。

It's so underwhelming it probably is lol.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Sega won't acknowledge it until the magazine is officially out imo, so I don't think it's that.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It is related to their 60th anniversary so I am guessing a classic nostalgia hardware.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

What is any of this based on?

Ankit Gaba

Banned
Mar 27, 2020
Out of curiosity regarding patent systems, how does something like this get patented exactly? Surely touch screen controls are demonstrably basic and widespread already to not be patentable? Or is there something in here that I'm missing is unique?
I'm not sure but the patent has this drawing which makes it seem like a cloud game streaming service

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
it's probably going to be Sonic related.

Wasn't SEGA Supposed to announce a sonic project at SXSW.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.