• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.gematsu.com

Rumor: Dead Space revival in development at Motive [Update]

Electronic Arts will announce a Dead Space revival during its EA Play Live digital event on July 22, according to VentureBeat writer Jeff Grubb in the latest GamesBeat Decides podcast, which was pi…
Gematsu has also separately heard that a Dead Space revival is in the works at Motive, which is said to be a reimagining rather than a sequel to the existing trilogy.

salromano gives some new additional details on the rumored project so i thought it warrants its own thread

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The original is basically perfect and still holds up today.

Give us a new story in the same universe.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
For the best, probably, the series went in a messy direction so it'll be good to be dial it back and give the new team a fresh canvas.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I always figured if Dead Space came back it would be in the form of a reboot/soft reset.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the success of Fallen Order has shown EA that linear, single-player action games can be worth it.

But…we'll see!

Jan 11, 2018
The original is basically perfect and still holds up today.

Give us a new story in the same universe.

I just replayed the first one recently and I agree... It's nearly a perfect game. Currently 2/3 of the way through DS2 and it's reaffirmed it's position as my least favorite of the trilogy sadly. Still pretty good though.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
Hmm will cautiously wait to hear more details in the future, but for now I'm still more excited about how the Calisto Protocol or whatever it's called turns out. Looks like it'll be the spiritual successor

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
And former Dead Space folks are also making something like a spiritual successor with Callisto Protocol. Dead Space fans eating lol

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everyone here still makes comments like it's 2011 whenever it's a game published by EA.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I don't expect EA to balance horror and action well plus i think it will be more action focused than the original dead space which automatically makes it not AS good as the original.

I hope EA prove me wrong and go full horror with great combat, etc..

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Re-imagining is cool, as long as it's not just a retread of Isaac on the Ishimura! Hope we get a solid cinematic trailer to sell us on the premise

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense considering the story just got too crazy at the end. Hard to salvage that especially if you want newcomers. I'll be sad If this means no Isaac though

Oct 27, 2017
would have been cool to see them bifurcate the series imo

- the old school dead space for horror fans
- a new second line (set during the 100 year prequel events of DS3) that is built around the co-op action of 3.

Best of both worlds. We'll see how this plays out but I'm someone who loved 3 and its co-op so i won't complain either way.

Oct 27, 2017
Dead Space 2 in Hard Core mode was one of the best survival horror experiences I've ever had so I hope they go back to its single-player roots.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, humans had been in space for a long time and had plenty of colonies. Earth getting eaten doesn't really preclude a continuation if that's what the devs wanted.

That said, if this is a reimagining, I hope they go back to the portrayal of the marker in the first game, where the its purpose and motives were much more ambiguous, and it seems to want help Isaac stop the Necromorphs rather than the whole convergence nonsense from 2.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
You guys really think they will bring it back just to be like what nobody wanted and killed the franchise?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Good

When the writers hit you with "It's like the Flood PLUS the Reapers and HOW WILL WE SAVEMACGUFFIN THE DAY FIND OUT ON THE NEXT EPISODE"

The answer is 'throw that shit in the garbage bin'

I've thought about this before and the answer is set it like 200 years after humanity went full thermonuclear apocalypse and now it exists only as several million scrappers in space living in centuries old ships holding on by their fingernails trying to get a foothold to rebuild civilization under constant threat of some necromorph fragment spinning through space making contact with a ship at any moment and destroying everything

assuming the dumb excessively convoluted dead space lore that im not going to deep dive into can accommodate this

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can't it be both a sequel and a reimagining? Not that I mind. I'm down for more Dead Space one way or another, it's the only game of its nature that I've ever enjoyed as much as the GOAT Resident Evil 4

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
'Our alien stalker enemy is too weird for people to get attached to like RE8's Tall Lady. There are too many tentacl-'.

'EA's latest Dead Space game just made 8 billion dollars'.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Almost sounds like a reboot. I will be down for any kind of Dead Space as long as it follows the template of the first 2 rather than 3.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Noooooo

Dead Space 1 is perfect the way it is, except sure it could have better graphics nowadays, but the audio design is PERFECT.

I don't think there is literally any way for them to reboot/reimagine DS1 and make it "BETTER" than OG DS1.