• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
www.gematsu.com

Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai: A Hero’s Bonds coming west

Square Enix will release DeNA-developed team action RPG Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai: A Hero’s Bonds for iOS and Android in the west, the publisher announced. Pre-registration is availab…
Square Enix will release DeNA-developed team action RPG Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai: A Hero's Bonds for iOS and Android in the west, the publisher announced. Pre-registration is available now for Android via Google Play.

Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai: A Hero's Bonds was first announced in May 2020 in Japan, where it is known as Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai: Tamashii no Kizuna and planned for release sometime in 2021.

Square Enix will host an Android closed beta test for the west from April 7 to 15. Registration is available now until April 4.

Here is an overview of the game, via its official website:

Story
Fight on, Disciples of Avan!
In a world tormented by the forces of evil, a swordsman and his companions set out to defeat Hadlar, the Dark Lord.
It has been many years now since The Hero restored peace to the land…
On an isolated island in the southern seas, a boy named Dai lives among monsters, yearning to become a hero himself someday. However, everything changes when the Dark Lord is revived.
With another crisis facing the world, Dai makes a promise to his mentor, encounters new friends, and slowly learns about his own inescapable fate… This is the beginning of Dai's adventure, and his quest to become a true hero!
Characters
  • Dai – Washed ashore on Dermline Island as a baby, Dai was raised by the lump shaman Brass. More recently his latent talents have flourished under the tutelage of Avan, the hero who once saved the world from Hadlar.
  • Popp – An admirer of the hero Avan, Popp became his apprentice to train as a mage. He gets carried away easily and has a tendency to run away when things get tough, but he also has a compassionate side.
  • Maam – She defends her hometown of Nayle with the magic bullet gun given to her by the hero Avan. Maam is a strong-willed girl who means business, but she's full of kindness on the inside.
  • Avan – This former hero serves as a mentor to Dai and his friends. In the past, he defeated the Dark Lord and saved the world. Despite his mischievous side, he has an unshakeable will, and is a kind teacher.
  • Crocodine – The commander of the Dark Army's Furfang Legion, a contingent of vicious monsters. Bold and proud, he has no fear of death on the battlefield.
  • Hyunckel – The commander of the Dark Army's Undead Legion, a corps of warriors who have transcended death itself. He fights with the Dark Armor Blade, which can repel offensive spells cast its way Although he was Avan's first disciple, he harbors a deep-seated resentment toward his former master.
  • Hadlar – Once known as the Dark Lord, his army of monsters was strong enough to threaten the entire world. Some time after being defeated by Avan, he was revived by Vearn, the Dark King.
Two Worlds
Travel between two worlds, forge bonds with your friends, and fight!
  • A Classic Story: Dragon Tracks – The Dragon Tracks storyline follows the story of the original Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai series. Complete quests to add familiar characters to your team!
  • A Fresh Adventure: Bonding Journey – The Bonding Journey is an all-new story written under the supervision of Riku Sanjo! It is set in the mysterious world of Milladosia, which bears a striking resemblance to the world seen in The Adventure of Dai. Pinky the pink Dracky (design by Koji Inada) guides our hero. Pinky is a bit clumsy, which often causes some problems…
    • The star of the story is you—the Luminary Leader! – Join Dai and his friends as you fight to protect the two worlds and the many bonds that unite their inhabitants! You can change your hairstyle, face, gender, and more! Customize your character and adventure in style!
    • Change vocations and gain the upper hand! – As the Luminary Leader, you can switch to a variety of vocations such as warrior, martial artist, mage, and more! Choose the one that suits your play style the best!
Battle
  • Push forward with your allies in dynamic three-lane battles! – Engage in dynamic, intuitive three-lane battles! Unleash powerful attacks as you enjoy simple yet deep gameplay! Play co-op multiplayer with up to three players and conquer your enemies!
Gameplay
  • Boost your equipment and skills and take on new quests! – Strengthen weapons, armor, and characters' skills and abilities. Complete quests, power up, and take on fierce foes!
  • Strengthen your allies with the Bonding Halo system! – Get closer to your allies by adventuring together! When a character's Friendship Level is raised, they get even stronger, and you'll also unlock special scenes with them! Bolster your bonds and grow together as a team!
Watch a teaser trailer below.
English

French

Japanese

Chinese (Traditional)

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Are we talking about the same thing? I'm referencing when the trademark for "A Hero's Bonds" showed up and people started speculating if it was the FFXIV expansion title.
Oh, I suppose not, I thought you were referring to this

www.thegamer.com

Square Enix Trademarks Infinity Strash — Dragon Quest: The Adventure Of Dai In Australia

Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai - Infinity Strash is coming to the West, as Square Enix has trademarked the Infinity Strash name in Australia.

Theanine

Oct 3, 2020
The game looks so fun, can't wait to try it! I'm gonna need a better phone though... This definitely convinces me to upgrade.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm much more interested in the console game to be honest. Glad to hear that SE started to trademark it.

Really enjoying the show btw. Never watched the original, but this new one they did is very entertaining.

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA

Adum

May 30, 2019
Game is live! Playing through the intro now. Seems fun so far.
The game has a rating of 3.5 on Google Play with a large number of 1* ratings. Any idea why that is? Also how bad is the gacha? Just trying to get a feel for the game before I download it later today.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The game has a rating of 3.5 on Google Play with a large number of 1* ratings. Any idea why that is? Also how bad is the gacha? Just trying to get a feel for the game before I download it later today.

From briefly checking Twitter earlier, it seemed people were review bombing it because there wasn't a specific launch time listed. Before the servers went live, the app just indicated "9/27 PDT (9/28 JST)."

Not sure how bad the gacha is yet, as I'm really early into the game. Hopefully it's not too bad.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't mean anything just people not understanding that being able to preload a service game doesn't mean that the servers are live already.

Game is a high quality effort and seems to be experience for fans of Dai. Looks and performs great on mobile.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone playing this?

My friend code is nwFnuJyd
Alliance code is Wb3F3Vvj

Please add if interested 😁

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone playing this?

My friend code is nwFnuJyd
Alliance code is Wb3F3Vvj

Please add if interested 😁
I requested you (and NB/Zarian). I'm already in an alliance I found on the subreddit, but if there's enough interest here for an Era alliance I'm all in on that instead.

I'm enjoying it so far, it looks good but I'm concerned it will be grindy. It also looks to be quite a bit less generous than my current gacha (Romancing SaGa ReUniverse) - but since we're rolling for equipment and not characters, I'm not that bothered by it.

That said its battle system is more interesting and faster than Dragon Quest of the Stars which got canned pretty quick, and the auto-play (while not great) makes it marginally possible for me to keep up with the grind. Not invested in the tie-in here, just the Dragon Quest... and while this isn't super DQ-y engine wise, it's at least interesting.

Current party:
Hero MC, Maam, Event Hyunckel (Disciple), Popp
I'm not seeing many people healing in multiplayer, so I'm running with a healer partner + tanky hero to help out where I can while being able to pull weight damage-wise.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I requested you (and NB/Zarian). I'm already in an alliance I found on the subreddit, but if there's enough interest here for an Era alliance I'm all in on that instead.

I'm enjoying it so far, it looks good but I'm concerned it will be grindy. It also looks to be quite a bit less generous than my current gacha (Romancing SaGa ReUniverse) - but since we're rolling for equipment and not characters, I'm not that bothered by it.

That said its battle system is more interesting and faster than Dragon Quest of the Stars which got canned pretty quick, and the auto-play (while not great) makes it marginally possible for me to keep up with the grind. Not invested in the tie-in here, just the Dragon Quest... and while this isn't super DQ-y engine wise, it's at least interesting.

Current party:
Hero MC, Maam, Event Hyunckel (Disciple), Popp
I'm not seeing many people healing in multiplayer, so I'm running with a healer partner + tanky hero to help out where I can while being able to pull weight damage-wise.

So far they have been relatively generous about giving gems and stuff for bugs but you can really see the grinding needed go up if you look at how the quantity of materials to level up the boards of the characters. The stamina recovery is a bit slowly than I would like it to be. At least they return your stamina if you fail a quest.

This was my favourite shonen manga when I was a child so it means a lot to me😄 I'm hoping the console game will be a good one.

As for healing, the spell seems rather weak at level 2 so I think I need more materials and money to increase the skill level to make it a viable built.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
So far they have been relatively generous about giving gems and stuff for bugs but you can really see the grinding needed go up if you look at how the quantity of materials to level up the boards of the characters. The stamina recovery is a bit slowly than I would like it to be. At least they return your stamina if you fail a quest.

As for healing, the spell seems rather weak at level 2 so I think I need more materials and money to increase the skill level to make it a viable built.
At least it looks like there's some kind of pity mechanic (although at 65/100 on the grand opening banner, it's tempting to throw the rest of my gems at it to guarantee another dagger/sword given how powerful dupes seem to be). 30K to pity when (other than bugs) we're getting ~400 gems a day other than stage completions will be a rough thing to save for though!

The grind seems especially rough for event characters, since you have to kind of plan out the materials you need to make sure you get enough materials or skill upgrade scrolls. There might be a way to get more style crystals after the event, but I'm not going to count on it.

Healing is only a viable multiplayer build for me because I lucked out on a 4* healer staff, so I also have a strong finisher skill that heals.