• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami has announced Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution for Switch.

The competitive card game will allow players to duel against characters from the Yu-Gi-Oh! series and other players nationwide with the "New Master Rules," which are the latest rules of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Official Card Game.

More information will be announced in the April 2019 issue of V-Jump, which is due out on February 21. Stay tuned.

https://gematsu.com/2019/02/yu-gi-oh-legacy-of-the-duelist-link-evolution-announced-for-switch

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I should be more excited about this, but man, I've tried and it's hard for me to get into current YGO. Although it's definitely great to see card games on Switch. Good platform for them.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping this would come to Switch. I really enjoyed the PS4 game and have been thirsting for a handheld card game

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
A more up to date Legacy of the Duelist is good. The last DLC pack was released years ago. Hopefully the DLC isn't as dumb this time, though it probably will be.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean the Other LotD versions will get updates to the latest rules finally?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A few days ago, my brother described to me these "New Master Rules" and their implications, and from what I understand, this ruleset brings the game back to being closer in-line with how the game played when I was young, and further away from the more chaotic and gimmick-centric direction the game had been moving toward for some time now. I am so down for this, seems like this might get me back in the game.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A few days ago, my brother described to me these "New Master Rules" and their implications, and from what I understand, this ruleset brings the game back to being closer in-line with how the game played when I was young, and further away from the more chaotic and gimmick-centric direction the game had been moving toward for some time now. I am so down for this, seems like this might get me back in the game.

Great if true. My friends and I got LOST somewhere around the 3rd or 4th generation.

In the PS4 game, you could play through pretty decently sized story modes and I remember noting the moment I couldn't handle it anymore. Worse, the pace of the game changed with the later additions to the point that it didn't feel like the basic game I enjoyed anymore.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I still play Legacy of the PS4 best Yu-Gi-Oh since DS.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so this isn't just a port of the original LotD with additional Link based content? I gave up on the physical game when the Link format was announced but I'm all for another digital game if it is different enough from the original.

Although if we do see the pre Vrains crew, it will be weird seeing their signiture mechanics hampered by links. Like how would Yusei's decks even work when he can't summon Synchro after Synchro without any set up any more? I haven't kept up with the game though so forgive me if there's been Link support for potential issues like this.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
If this is a port of Legacy of the Duelist it will be disappointing. If it's something new, I'm cautiously optimistic. Story content in Legacy of the Duelist felt lackluster to me.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
So in layman's terms is it possible to explain how? I tried a demo of LotD, and there was something like pendulum monsters or something? Separate decks as well? I didn't purchase the full game, and while Forgotten Memories on the PS1 truly is a forgotten memory at this point, something more simpler would peak my interest.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Links overwhelm me and Dueling Book and YGOPro is shithouse so this interests me. Hopefully the phases are less janky than normal Legacy of the Duelist. Buinsess model aside ideally I want the presentation of Duel Links but with Advanced Format.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lost all interest in the card game after the meta became all about putting out an overpowered monster in the first turn and all that pendulum stuff and whatever.

how are those new rules? did they made the game any better?

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
If it has any of that Synchro summon pendulum stuff, I'm totally out.

Hopefully they have an old school mode.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 version was really fun. I know it won't happen, but it'd be nice to get any additional cards as PS4 DLC as well, rather than forcing players to move systems for a few new cards.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Lmao

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Ore no turn! DORO!

Great news. I wonder if I can replicate my dream Dark Magician Girls deck in here.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
This is 100% a port of Legacy of the Duelist which has been updated with the new rules. I hope the online isn't dead on arrival like it was on PS4/PC. Also getting cards was an absolute pain in an era where people use YGOPRO and have access to every card immediately.

Oh, so this isn't just a port of the original LotD with additional Link based content? I gave up on the physical game when the Link format was announced but I'm all for another digital game if it is different enough from the original.

Although if we do see the pre Vrains crew, it will be weird seeing their signiture mechanics hampered by links. Like how would Yusei's decks even work when he can't summon Synchro after Synchro without any set up any more? I haven't kept up with the game though so forgive me if there's been Link support for potential issues like this.

It doesn't. People thought it might slow the game down before the rule came out but it didn't. It's still as fast as ever with 4+ min turns where you sit and watch your opponent.

I'm not a huge fan of this youtuber but it sums it up:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
This is 100% a port of Legacy of the Duelist which has been updated with the new rules. I hope the online isn't dead on arrival like it was on PS4/PC. Also getting cards was an absolute pain in an era where people use YGOPRO and have access to every card immediately.

You mean you didn't like going into a match, surrendering, then soft resetting your game until the character pack drops what you want XD?

Edit: which reminds me: if you get a card you like, make sure you go into a match and surrender so it will autosave. The autosave system is really wonky, and I lost a few of the super rare drop cards because I switched the game off after getting them and making my deck, and it didn't autosave during that.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of surprised that they didn't opt for Duel Links, but I suppose this is probably a bit more friendly to casual/new-comers?

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Konami would release a new Tag Force game without the Pendulum and Link Monsters nonsense because I quit the game after the 5Ds era since I enjoyed the syncro summoning mechanic.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Kind of surprised that they didn't opt for Duel Links, but I suppose this is probably a bit more friendly to casual/new-comers?

An interview we have with Duel Links producer may interest you.

Specifically:

Q: Duel Links' Steam release was fairly well received. Is there a chance we could see it ported to other consoles like the Nintendo Switch?

A: We have considered this in the past, but currently have no plans to do so. The main reason being that Duel Links is a game that is constantly updated, and the slower pace of consoles would not be a good fit.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

This is proper Yu-Gi-Oh, not the shortened format. I don't think it's more beginner friendly, but then again, the short format of DL confuses me.

Anything past original rules gets confusing though, although Pendulum is probably the easiest to grasp in concept.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This is proper Yu-Gi-Oh, not the shortened format. I don't think it's more beginner friendly, but then again, the short format of DL confuses me.

Anything past original rules gets confusing though, although Pendulum is probably the easiest to grasp in concept.

Surely you mean the hardest?

Synchro, Xyz and Link are super easy to understand and anyone who says it's "super complicated" are just people that got scared when they saw a new card color

But Pendulum IS complicated and it's not as easy as "sum levels" "match levels" or "pay 1 monster for 1 arrow"

And I say this as a Pendulum Magician player

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Surely you mean the hardest?

Synchro, Xyz and Pendulum are super easy to understand and anyone who says it's "super complicated" are just people that got scared when they saw a new card color

But Pendulum IS complicated and it's not as easy ass "sum levels" "match levels" or "pay 1 monster for 1 arrow"

I would 100% agree that Pendulum is the hardest for new players to grasp, easily. I'd follow it with Links though.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
lost all interest in the card game after the meta became all about putting out an overpowered monster in the first turn and all that pendulum stuff and whatever.

how are those new rules? did they made the game any better?
Pendulum got nerfed from unique zones to your Spell/trap zone ends.

Fusion/Synchro/Xyz monsters got nerfed with Link monsters. You can either have one extra deck monster in your extra deck monster zone, or use a link summon to summon in monster zones that the Link Monster points to.

Jan 2, 2018
I wish they would go back to the roots. I liked Yu-Gi-Oh until they added too many new card types, but on the other hand, balancing was never the strong point of this game. If I remember correctly you could throw most of the cards of previous packs away as soon as a new pack released.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

It doesn't. People thought it might slow the game down before the rule came out but it didn't. It's still as fast as ever with 4+ min turns where you sit and watch your opponent.

I'm not a huge fan of this youtuber but it sums it up:

As someone who noped out near the end of the GX era, what the fuck is this?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
As someone who noped out near the end of the GX era, what the fuck is this?

A video exaggerating that YGO has changed and trying to frame it as the game dying when last year's tournaments and sales where some of the highest.

It's no less BS than Gladiator Beasts dominating the GX Era by spamming contact Fusions or Yata-locking an opponent after you just Delinquent Duo'd him like in the "good ol' days"

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
A video exaggerating that YGO has changed and trying to frame it as the game dying when last year's tournaments and sales where some of the highest.

It's no less BS than Gladiator Beasts dominating the GX Era by spamming contact Fusions or Yata-locking an opponent after you just Delinquent Duo'd him like in the "good ol' days"

Yeah I don't agree on the dying part. Yu-Gi-Oh! popularity has been getting strong within the last 3 years alone imo but I do think players will be in for a shock when they find that their opponents turns start to exceed the 2 minute mark.