• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc.../420753/monthly-founders-membership-sold-out/

6-month memberships still available, but these are in "limited supply".

Some background info:

The service has seen a seemingly huge increase in users since the release of Cyberpunk 2077, which is available on GeForce Now to owners of the game on Steam, Epic and GoG - it's also the first GoG Galaxy game available on the service, with more titles planned to be available in future.

GeForce Now has 2 tiers to its service - 'Free' and 'Founders', the latter costing £4.99 a month. Free users can use the service as much as they like, but are limited to 1hr sessions, cannot use RTX features and need to queue at busy periods. Founders have none of these restrictions.

It is usually not uncommon for Free users to queue for rig at busy times, but it is literally unheard of for Founders. Upon release of CP2077 there were huge queues, often multiple hours in duration - for all users.

This lead to widespread complaints from disgruntled Founders, with many unable to play ANY game on the service in the period following CP2077's release. Thankfully the service seems to be functioning a lot better now (at least for me).

Having said this, Nvidia are clearly trying to play catch-up here and were caught with their pants down!

I wonder how many people subbed when they realised their rig wasn't going to cut it performance-wise?

Last edited:

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Damn I got 2 1-year codes with my cards, I want to try it out on my MacBook sometime. Wasn't too impressed with the Google streaming when I tried AC odyssey.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Just signed up for this and kinda regretting it. Didn't realize they dont support resolutions above 1080p. Just started cyberpunk on it which plays fine but that res is just meh. wish I'd had gotten it on Stadia, even if you can only play it on stadia, at least you can stream in 4k.

Playing on my macbook pro and the client is fine. Those extra logins with the captchas to the other services can eat shit.

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Damn I got 2 1-year codes with my cards, I want to try it out on my MacBook sometime. Wasn't too impressed with the Google streaming when I tried AC odyssey.
Think you may still be good if you have a code to redeem? Worth checking out too, I had a rough time with Stadia, but GFN has been a game-changer for me.

Just signed up for this and kinda regretting it. Didn't realize they dont support resolutions above 1080p. Just started cyberpunk on it which plays fine but that res is just meh. wish I'd had gotten it on Stadia, even if you can only play it on stadia, at least you can stream in 4k.

It's true that Stadia offers 4k output. GFN however has all the features of the PC version of the game, whereas you get less control with Stadia and often get less in the way of visuals and performance (console equivalent settings etc.)

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I signed up for this yesterday just because I got an nvidia shield pro or whatever and I wanted to test it out.

Had no idea they were so slammed, haha.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Despite hearing glowing reviews for Geforce now, I've only looked at it briefly.I remember looking a long time ago, and it seemed like there was pricing based on the amount of time you uses it. ie: hourly. Looking at the site now, it seems like 4.99 a month all you can play? That sounds amazing.

There's very few games I want to play on PC that require better hardware than I have. But those that do would involve hundreds of dollars in upgrades. I love to rent hardware for streaming like this, yet keep the game on my steam account for the day that I can run it no problem. The pricing here looks like a hell of a deal.

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Despite hearing glowing reviews for Geforce now, I've only looked at it briefly.I remember looking a long time ago, and it seemed like there was pricing based on the amount of time you uses it. ie: hourly. Looking at the site now, it seems like 4.99 a month all you can play? That sounds amazing.

There's very few games I want to play on PC that require better hardware than I have. But those that do would involve hundreds of dollars in upgrades. I love to rent hardware for streaming like this, yet keep the game on my steam account for the day that I can run it no problem. The pricing here looks like a hell of a deal.
That's right, no other charges. I imagine the price will increase in the future though!

It works great and the performance is fantastic in terms of hardware. I posted the following in another thread the other day, but this is the spec sheet for the different 'rigs':

vyiUYn4.png

Rig assignment is on a per game basis, i.e. certain games only run on certain rigs (1 or more).

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
It's true that Stadia offers 4k output. GFN however has all the features of the PC version of the game, whereas you get less control with Stadia and often get less in the way of visuals and performance (console equivalent settings etc.)

If they offered 1440p I'd be pleased as a peach. 1080 to 1440 is just enough of a jump for me at least that I'd be satisfied.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That's right, no other charges. I imagine the price will increase in the future though!

It works great and the performance is fantastic in terms of hardware. I posted the following in another thread the other day, but this is the spec sheet for the different 'rigs':

vyiUYn4.png

Rig assignment is on a per game basis, i.e. certain games only run on certain rigs (1 or more).

Thanks for the info! This may be the option that I've been looking for for those particular games.

What are the options for the client? Can you do it through a browser? Anything for Android or linux?

Wait wait wait I've decided to do 10 seconds of my own research LOL. Looks like it's working through chrome and chromium browsers on linux. Anyone tried it?

https://www.androidcentral.com/nvidia-geforce-now-quietly-starts-working-linux

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
If they offered 1440p I'd be pleased as a peach. 1080 to 1440 is just enough of a jump for me at least that I'd be satisfied.
I'd be shocked if this isn't in the works. They seem to be taking things one step at a time so far.
Been playing cyberpunk on this and outside the queues it's pretty great
I am planning to play my first playthrough on GFN next week (I have to wait :( ), how has performance been for you so far?
Thanks for the info! This may be the option that I've been looking for for those particular games.

What are the options for the client? Can you do it through a browser? Anything for Android or linux?

Wait wait wait I've decided to do 10 seconds of my own research LOL. Looks like it's working through chrome and chromium browsers on linux. Anyone tried it?

https://www.androidcentral.com/nvidia-geforce-now-quietly-starts-working-linux
Nice! I have only used the Win 10 client, but have also downloaded the Android App which also seems to work fine.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10

I got a 1-year code with my new card and I've found the lag and visual quality with GFN worse than the Google streaming beta of AC Odyssey. For me it's only suitable for strategy, RPGs, slow puzzle games and the like where installing locally is not an option (i.e. work PC). But as with all these streaming services there are a multitude of factors involved that determine your experience.

I wonder how much of the huge demand is driven by the codes given out with new GPUs?

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I got a 1-year code with my new card and I've found the lag and visual quality with GFN worse than the Google streaming beta of AC Odyssey. For me it's only suitable for strategy, RPGs, slow puzzle games and the like where installing locally is not an option (i.e. work PC). But as with all these streaming services there are a multitude of factors involved that determine your experience.

I wonder how much of the huge demand is driven by the codes given out with new GPUs?
It's clearly hugely variable like you said. Honestly, for me it is nearly indistiguishable from native/running on local hardware. I must be hella close to the data center lol.

Good point about the codes as well, definitely a contributing factor.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017

The lag was fine on my current plays (im in socal) but the visual quality is sub par as you said, it's a very soft, almost hazzy picture. Crazy they offer RTX support yet can't get a sharp image. I vastly prefer a higher res and better clarity then mediocre ray tracing.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
i forgot to redeem my free year code. i don't think i'd have much use for it right now but in the off chance i do i'm gonna regret that mistake.

GFN needs more pubs to make their titles available. Tons of big titles are missing.

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
The lag was fine on my current plays (im in socal) but the visual quality is sub par as you said, it's a very soft, almost hazzy picture. Crazy they offer RTX support yet can't get a sharp image. I vastly prefer a higher res and better clarity then mediocre ray tracing.
YMMV I guess - was this on Win 10? I found I also had issues like this, but tweaking some of the advanced settings helped clear it right up. Turning off 'Adjust for poor network connection' was a big one.
GFN needs more pubs to make their titles available. Tons of big titles are missing.
Definitely a weakness at the moment for sure.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
YO I was just thinking about snagging one of these last night and had my finger on the buy button but was like, my computer is right here and I'm always around it.

But it's sold out or getting sold out so of course I fucking want it.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
The lag was fine on my current plays (im in socal) but the visual quality is sub par as you said, it's a very soft, almost hazzy picture.

I'm talking about straight-up compression artifacts. One recent example is Far Cry 2. I decided I would play this on GFN as I haven't played it in a while and it's the kind of thing I knew I would probably just play for a couple hours and be done with it so I didn't want to actually install it and get it running. So you're running through the jungle and while it is probably playable the lag in your first-person camera movement is definitely noticeable. Furthermore, the clear blue sky often showed macro-blocking style compression artifacts. These are hard to notice on detailed surfaces but a clear sky will show it off very quickly.

I wonder if they adjust the compression ratios on a per-game basis? It may be the case that they lower the settings for old games like this they don't think most people are going to play.

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm talking about straight-up compression artifacts. One recent example is Far Cry 2. I decided I would play this on GFN as I haven't played it in a while and it's the kind of thing I knew I would probably just play for a couple hours and be done with it so I didn't want to actually install it and get it running. So you're running through the jungle and while it is probably playable the lag in your first-person camera movement is definitely noticeable. Furthermore, the clear blue sky often showed macro-blocking style compression artifacts. These are hard to notice on detailed surfaces but a clear sky will show it off very quickly.

I wonder if they adjust the compression ratios on a per-game basis? It may be the case that they lower the settings for old games like this they don't think most people are going to play.
This was my experience with Stadia, but literally the opposite of my GFN experience. Image quality is pristine, even in dark scenes.

Did you change any of the options in the app? I recommend disabling 'Adjust for poor network conditions'. I had that enabled when I first used the service, noticed IQ issues, changed that option and never looked back. Disabling it didn't introduce any other issues either.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
GFN was fine initially. It actually seemed to run better than my current PC (1080 Ti, 3700x) when I first started the game but when I reached the city, performance kind of just fell apart especially if you have raytracing enabled. Even when using stuff like DF Alex's optimized raytracing settings, it still felt like that 2080d on GFN was struggling a lot. Went back to my 1080 Ti when I realized that it runs much more consistent on it with optimized settings, though I will miss out on RTX :(

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Did you change any of the options in the app? I recommend disabling 'Adjust for poor network conditions'. I had that enabled when I first used the service, noticed IQ issues, changed that option and never looked back. Disabling it didn't introduce any other issues either.

I just checked and I did have that turned on so I will turn it off and see how things go.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I think you should be fine, they are sold out of "monthly" codes, and running low on "6 month" codes, doesn't say anything about yearly codes.