• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I remember a lot of people saying that Microsoft would not do this in previous threads when I said that they very possibly could, given their plans for xCloud.

Just like almost every other publisher that has pulled their games has also announced some plans for their own cloud service.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Platform warring; long history of similar infractions
Based Phil am I right 😂

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i can only hope all these publishers own cash grab streaming services fucking fail miserably.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Oh, right, Xbox. Of course they wouldn't want their games to be on a rival platform when they are planning to push xCloud as the place to play Xbox anywhere.
Well, obviously

But it is more complicated than that for all publishers.. Geforce Now somewhat blurs the lines of whether it is its own platform or not. By design, the entire premise is based on a loophole.. On one hand, you're buying/playing Steam games, but on the other there is a payable subscription to Nvidia for Now, as a streaming platform. So how does that affect licensing and royalties for games? Is it another platform or not? It leaves the door open for disruption. It's a licensing nightmare and it's no surprise publishers have been dropping like flies since given Nvidia has put no effort in to licensing agreements given they didn't think they'd need to - ignorance, denial, stupidity?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
its literally another computer to play the fucking games on. What the fuck is these companies problems? You going to remove the game cause I want to play it on another computer?

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
I mean you have to imagine Xbox has been catering to all devs who are currently featured on Xcloud. To have someone walk in and just do it for free is bound to cause issues. The problem is if everyone can do it like this I am sure Microsoft and everyone else would be as well.
Tbf they're going to be launching their own streaming service.
And they also had their own store and service when they took the initiative to sell XGS games on other PC storefronts (Steam and EGS for one game atm).

Meaning that their pro consumer policy is only bound to one thing, money.

If you're afraid that your service is not good enough to compete with the one that gives you the freedom to play your owned games, you should rework it instead of removing the option from players to do so on the platform they own the game.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

If you're afraid that your service is not good enough to compete with the one that gives you the freedom to play your owned games, you should rework it instead of removing the option from players to do so on the platform they own the game.
I don't think they're afraid their service can't compete, I think they just figure if money is going to change hands for their games to be streamed that money may as well be going to them

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Well, obviously

But it is more complicated than that for all publishers.. Geforce Now somewhat blurs the lines of whether it is its own platform or not. By design, the entire premise is based on a loophole.. On one hand, you're buying/playing Steam games, but on the other there is a payable subscription to Nvidia for Now, as a streaming platform. So how does that affect licensing and royalties for games? Is it another platform or not? It leaves the door open for disruption. It's a licensing nightmare and it's no surprise publishers have been dropping like flies since given Nvidia has put no effort in to licensing agreements given they didn't think they'd need to - ignorance, denial, stupidity?

You pay Nvidia for the computer to run the game on.

Just like you pay Amazon to run a game on AWS or Microsoft to do the same on Azure.

There is no licensing complication here. It's pretty straightforward. Nvidia could flip everyone the bird and be fine, but the hardware business is worth a lot more than the cloud business for Nvidia at this point and it's not likely to want to harm those relationships.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense. With Stadia, PlayStation Now, xCloud and an Amazon streaming platform in the works the rights for streaming games will be valuable.

It's another anti-consumer move. If the GPD Win 2 was a threat to making a deal with Nintendo for a Switch port you would probably see games made unplayable on that too.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to know where people got the idea that their purchase included apermission to use in this way.

I do think people have been mislead here, but by Nvidia, not by Microsoft or WB.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
And they also had their own store and service when they took the initiative to sell XGS games on other PC storefronts (Steam and EGS for one game atm).

Ok, I get you, but wheres that logic when theyre not putting their games on playstation and the majority of their games on switch?

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If that wa true no xbox game would miss playstation and a bunch more of them would be on switch.
It was kinda a rhetorical question, it was just something Spencer always would tell his twitter followers whenever they got angry about a previous Xbox exclusive that would be ported to PC. Turned out to of course just being PR smoke.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Technically you don't own any of your games

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't this effectively Nvidia purchasing a single license for a video game, and serving each respective license to multiple people over time at a profit?

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
I wonder what the legal implications would be if Sony or MS put the competitor hardware into their cloud streaming services and let you stream games you owned. For example, MS puts PS5 hardware into Azure and let's you basically log into your PSN account and stream PS via xcloud.

I wonder what the legal implications would be if Sony or MS put the competitor hardware into their cloud streaming services and let you stream games you owned. For example, MS puts PS5 hardware into Azure and let's you basically log into your PSN account and stream PS via xcloud.
sued for billions, looses lucrative cloud contract for the #1 console Maker.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Under what licenses? PS5 games would not ever be sold under a license that would allow for this scenario.

But you'd be playing games you already own and paid for.

Define the legal concept of ownership in the context of digitally purchased games. Then consider what implications that has for what rights to use games you have bought a license for in this context.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Era was a pro-consumer forum...?
I don't know what utility suggesting that billion dollar company Nvidia are beyond criticism has for consumer advocacy.

Can't you already play your PS4/Xbox games remotely? This would be a similar concept except you are logging into someone else's device.

You can remote access your own games on your own console, under terms offered by the respective platform holders. Not sure what relevance that has to your previous post.

Nov 28, 2017
XGS was just a matter of time, with the XCloud beta opening up to the east recently, and so was WB Games to be honest, because, well, they're WB Games.

Klei's and Codies' exit are the most surprising though.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Wouldn't happen as there would have to be binding agreements in place before to avoid those stuff ups.

to be clear xcloud is the name for Xbox over azure basically. Sony's azure contract would just provide better stability to PSNow which they already have out in the market

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Not disagreeing with it being the next big war, but that's not a fair comparison. Microsoft didn't open the floodgates to allow all their titles on Steam / Switch, which is what they're doing here, closing the floodgates. Instead, what you see on Steam / Switch are choice partnerships where it makes sense, eg Cuphead and Minecraft.

Fair point. I'll be surprised if they enter a partnership here though.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
So much about the consumer's choice and then doing this, thanks Phil.
I mean they have a business to run at the end of the day, he/MS doesn't need to bend to every whim. It's nice when they do good things same as anyone but this probably has to do with more then just being good to consumers. Don't forget they have there own service to launch plus with everyone else leaving as well there's something nvidia needs to do not just blame every pub.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Is Nvidia paying a rental license fee for these titles, similar to how Blockbuster or Gamefly had to, or are they just taking a retail copy and serving it up onto a paid service?

Oct 26, 2017
This sucks, just started trying the service a few days ago and have found it to be better in EVERY single way than Stadia. I could barely tell I was playing a stream of a game whereas on Stadia while it was serviceable, lag and compression was super noticeable. Not to mention I don't have to rebuy my own games GN. And even then I'm still buying them from the devs/publishers to play them in the first place.

It's honestly less like a game streaming service and more just like a remote PC streaming thing.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Is Nvidia paying a rental license fee for these titles, similar to how Blockbuster or Gamefly had to, or are they just taking a retail copy and serving it up onto a paid service?
We have head that, for example, in the case of Activision/Blizzard, they were seeking to arrange a "commercial partnership". We did not hear the terms of such a partnership.

Looks to me like only Ubisoft accepted their terms (unless they have any other major publishers on board that I missed).

So when I rip my CDs and put them on Spotify and listen to them using Spotify's servers I'm in the wrong?

Spotify have most likely negotiated allowing that with record labels.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I find it hilarious that nobody seems to ever put nvidia at fault here and instead blames the devs, pubs, and now Phil Spencer. Clearly if everyone is leaving there's a bigger issue.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
For those thinking it's an issue of devs pulling games has to do with their cut do expect MS to resell you your games on Xcloud? Would you be ok with that since Nvidia are allegedly the "greedy" ones here. I thought the goal of streaming was to play your games anywhere at anytime.