• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Paid members are experiencing queues to access the service for all games, as Cyberpunk 2077 launched on GoG, Epic and Steam last night.

Multiple threads on Nvidia's official GFN forums are filled with posts from disgruntled users.

GFN supports the game on all three and is the first GoG release on the platform.

I am a Founder and personally have a queue of 48 minutes to contend with. This has never happened before. Queues are not uncommon for 'free' users, but Founders have priority access.

My potato hardware means this has been a lifesaver for me. I am cry.

EDIT: Thanks to the mods for the title change. I have changed the OP to better reflect the topic at hand!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So basically they currently have more demand than server space available and are pausing sales of memberships until otherwise?

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
So basically they currently have more demand than server space available and are pausing sales of memberships until otherwise?
Yeah that's the gist of it.

Must've really surpassed their expectations though.

I wonder how many people started panicking when they realised their hardware was struggling with CP2077 and decided to give this a go on a whim?

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
I guess cyberpunk would be the game to drive this, especially since very few actually have the cards to run it. Wonder if any crazies will be revving the conspiracy engine?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I got a year of GFN Founder free with my 3080. I played around with it just to test it out but I'll never seriously use it so you don't have to worry about me adding to your queue OP.

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
That post you linked is from march.

Yeah, but the thread is bumped with users now getting the message again. It's just a quirk of the rather obtuse Nvidia forums.

Having said this, I will request an edit to the thread title to remove the 'NA not far behind' part, as I believe that may not be relevant.

Maybe I have jumped the gun here /facepalm

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
What GPUs are they using for the Cyberpunk streaming? Has Nvidia stated such?

I might be tempted to try it out.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
They tried to add more 3080 cards to their servers but scalpers bots bought them first.

Geforce Now 'rig' specs
OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
What GPUs are they using for the Cyberpunk streaming? Has Nvidia stated such?

I might be tempted to try it out.
It's a 2080/Ti equivalent. They are using the '2080d' variant:

vyiUYn4.png

The app allocates you to a different 'rig' depending on the game you choose to play.

Some games have multiple rigs and performance can vary depending on which rig you get. For example Hitman 2 runs at ultra with 1.3x supersampling on the 1080c and runs at a pretty flawless 60fps. On the 2060c rig however, it chugs - so much so that I feel something is wrong with the 2060c's, as it's not just isolated to this game.

Thankfully, you can quickly identify which rig you are on when you connect and can keep cycling until you get your preferred rig. Not ideal, but never takes too long (not with these queues though haha!)

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
That post you linked is from march.

edit: Wow, that forum is a nightmare to navigate.
You mean the NVidia forum? It's not really a forum, but it's built like a real-time messaging service where threads are considered as notifications, and replies to said threads are "comments" appended to those notifications.

In other words, the activity is really fast paced. No developers would stick to that "forum" for troubleshooting advice.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Tried to mess with this last night and after waiting 10+ minutes to get matched with a PC, it would crash out and put me back in the queue. Been trying to figure out the best way to play the game, after being pretty disappointed with the look of the Series X version. (Stadia seems fine but roughly the same?)

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
I just signed up for the paid membership and it put me in queue just the same as before. Great first impression.

Not to mention I get absolutely pathetic connection speed when I test it in the app.

Oct 25, 2017
I had to wait in queue for 5 hours and then got kicked out of it for some reason. Extremely bad first impression.

I ended up playing the Cyberpunk prologue on US servers which weren't as busy. The input lag was less shitty than I expected but still made shooting very difficult paired with my poor shooter skills with a controller.

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Tried to mess with this last night and after waiting 10+ minutes to get matched with a PC, it would crash out and put me back in the queue. Been trying to figure out the best way to play the game, after being pretty disappointed with the look of the Series X version. (Stadia seems fine but roughly the same?)
I just signed up for the paid membership and it put me in queue just the same as before. Great first impression.

Not to mention I get absolutely pathetic connection speed when I test it in the app.
It's a shame, because honestly I can't stop gushing about how much of a game changer this has been for me.

Usually it offers me a really high quality image, fast frame rates and a stable, low latency connection.

I'm in London, UK btw

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it. It's alright, but considering it defaults to a max FPS of 45, clearly they're not targetting 60 at Ultra. You can go in the settings and tweak it though.

Is there a framerate overlay you can use to check performance?

My 6700K and 2070S seems to be running it better.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this thread and wanted to try it out (got 1 year of "free" founder status with my 3080).

First, I did the network test and all looked great.

unknown.png

Then it told me I only need to wait for ~7 minutes.

Awesome!

15 minutes passed and it showed an estimated remaining wait time of ~5 minutes.

So I turned it off.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's been a mess today trying to play Cyberpunk. I've had luck trying different server locations but everywhere in the EU is just swamped. It'd be one thing if the wait times were long, but the timers aren't accuarate at all. I was stuck on "less than a minute remaining" for over 30 minutes until I gave up

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It's a shame, because honestly I can't stop gushing about how much of a game changer this has been for me.

Usually it offers me a really high quality image, fast frame rates and a stable, low latency connection.

I'm in London, UK btw
I wonder if Nvidia had to pull all of the servers from other games due to demand.

Is there any game that doesn't queue you up right now?

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
My connection, just tested:

But Geforce Now gives me 16 Mbit and 8% packet loss. Doesn't make any sense. I tried all 4 Central EU servers.

Patrick Klepek

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago

I'm in London, UK btw

It'll get sorted soon. I really do think this will be the best way for me to play Cyberpunk, so I'm gonna be patient.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I played control on Geforcenow last night there was an 11 mins est. wait that was more like 5 mins. Tonight will be worse no doubt.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
It'll get sorted soon. I really do think this will be the best way for me to play Cyberpunk, so I'm gonna be patient.
Looking at this post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nv...-to-unprecedented-demand.342184/post-53702593
The Stadia version should have more horse power, also no one is using Stadia, so might be worth a try.

Also easy to refund, they have Steam's policy:
  • You can request a refund within 14 days of your purchase if there is less than 2 hours of play time across all accounts (family and personal). Games may only be returned one time, so if you return a purchased game for a refund and subsequently re-purchase it, you will not be entitled to a refund. This refund is only available for purchased games, and not for add-on content or services.

Patrick Klepek

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Looking at this post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nv...-to-unprecedented-demand.342184/post-53702593
The Stadia version should have more horse power, also no one is using Stadia, so might be worth a try.

Also easy to refund, they have Steam's policy:
  • You can request a refund within 14 days of your purchase if there is less than 2 hours of play time across all accounts (family and personal). Games may only be returned one time, so if you return a purchased game for a refund and subsequently re-purchase it, you will not be entitled to a refund. This refund is only available for purchased games, and not for add-on content or services.

I played with the Stadia version for a little bit. It seemed fine? On par with the next-gen console versions?

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I got founders today to play CP in the UK.

Works so good, i can't tell the difference between local and this, I honestly can't.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
I asked this in another thread but maybe I can get an answer here.

The native windows app and phone apps work flawlessly.

The web client has horrendous latency and is unplayable.

Is there a known issue with the web client?

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I got founders today to play CP in the UK.

Works so good, i can't tell the difference between local and this, I honestly can't.
I know right?

I implore anyone who tried streaming maybe a few years ago but wrote it off because of latency or IQ issues to give GFN a try.

99.9% of the time it is near-on indistinguishable from playing on native hardware.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I know right?

I implore anyone who tried streaming maybe a few years ago but wrote it off because of latency or IQ issues to give GFN a try.

99.9% of the time it is near-on indistinguishable from playing on native hardware.

Yes, but keep in mind in a small place like EU means we have amazing latency to our nearest server in most cases so YMMV in bigger places like America, no idea how far away the servers are from you guys.

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I wonder if Nvidia had to pull all of the servers from other games due to demand.

Is there any game that doesn't queue you up right now?
Hitman 2 didn't queue me just now, although it was the 2060c rig, which I doubt is being used for CP2077. Hitman 2 also uses the far superior 1080c rig, which I usually try to get.

CP2077 is likely running on 2080d only. Maybe 1080c for non-founders.

Yes, but keep in mind in a small place like EU means we have amazing latency to our nearest server in most cases so YMMV in bigger places like America, no idea how far away the servers are from you guys.
Very true. I imagine I am close to a data center for sure.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hitman 2 didn't queue me just now, although it was the 2060c rig, which I doubt is being used for CP2077. Hitman 2 also uses the far superior 1080c rig, which I usually try to get.

CP2077 is likely running on 2080d only. Maybe 1080c for non-founders.

Very true. I imagine I am close to a data center for sure.
This "rig rolling" is something I knew nothing of until this thread, it's fascinating but I feel like I'd get annoyed as a user if I kept rerolling a lower tier GPU.

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
This "rig rolling" is something I knew nothing of until this thread, it's fascinating but I feel like I'd get annoyed as a user if I kept rerolling a lower tier GPU.
The difference is profound in some games, I was surprised too. Only found out myself after investigating why my performance in certain games was so inconsistent between sessions.

I do feel like the 2060b/c rigs are underperforming in general though - perhaps some reconfiguring is needed server side. It's still fairly early days for the service.

1080c and 2080c/d perform fantastically well. Most games it's 1080p60 ultra settings, no sweat.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Does this mean Nvidia can't get enough of their own product (3080s) for their own service ?

From what I understand, GeForce Now has the best quality of all cloud gaming services, including Stadia.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The difference is profound in some games, I was surprised too. Only found out myself after investigating why my performance in certain games was so inconsistent between sessions.

I do feel like the 2060b/c rigs are underperforming in general though - perhaps some reconfiguring is needed server side. It's still fairly early days for the service.

1080c and 2080c/d perform fantastically well. Most games it's 1080p60 ultra settings, no sweat.
Well at least it's pretty cool that Nvidia doesn't hide the GPUs from the users.

Does this mean Nvidia can't get enough of their own product (3080s) for their own service ?

From what I understand, GeForce Now has the best quality of all cloud gaming services, including Stadia.
They haven't even begun updating GFN with Ampere. The shortage is too great.

OP
OP
RAWRferal

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK

Ampere is confirmed as coming, but no firm date. Turing came to GFN around 6 months after the 20XX series cards were released. Could be longer this time!

Well at least it's pretty cool that Nvidia doesn't hide the GPUs from the users.
Yeah definitely - just have to hit Ctrl+Alt+F6 once you connect and a little overlay quickly pops-up. At least this is simple - although ideally you'd want all the rigs to perform nicely ;)

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Happening again today. Over the last few days I've had no issues, but now after almost an hour (With a paid membership) I'm only 550 in the queue.

It also won't even let you join the queue if it reaches 1000, just boots you back and tells you to try again later.

Hope the surge in memberships will get Nvidia to get some more hardware in place.