• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sfen

Nov 12, 2019
Does anyone know if all of the characters are named, or if you can create your own soldiers? One of the most fun aspects of XCOM for me is playing with friends, and making ourselves into soldiers to see which one of us misses 90% shots like an idiot...

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if all of the characters are named, or if you can create your own soldiers? One of the most fun aspects of XCOM for me is playing with friends, and making ourselves into soldiers to see which one of us misses 90% shots like an idiot...

We don't know really know anything about what happens out of combat aside from the armor/weapon customization of the existing characters. It does seem that there is a chance you'll have other deployable troops though, trailer shows a failed sub-objective for not deploying a scout unit, and also shows an objective stating characters x, y and z must survive.

Where is it confirmed that the game won't be coming to Xbox One until after April 2020?

Rod Fergusson tweeted it.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
We don't know really know anything about what happens out of combat aside from the armor/weapon customization of the existing characters. It does seem that there is a chance you'll have other deployable troops though, trailer shows a failed sub-objective for not deploying a scout unit, and also shows an objective stating characters x, y and z must survive.

Rod Fergusson tweeted it.

Thanks, that's a shame.

0xBADC0FFEE

Principal Gameplay Programmer @ Splash Damage
Verified
Dec 2, 2017
London
Gratz!
But can you talk about it?🤔🤔
I'm afraid I can only repeat what's already being said/shown :)

Do you know if there will be any sort of beta?
I guess I can "answer" this one because I have absolutely no idea, the game is single player though so I don't know if something like that would have any use

You mean "Halo Laser Squad?" I've pitched something similar several times based on linear and ballistic sandbox weapons so that you use isometrics for height and splash damage calculations as well as line of sight. Still turn based, but with a metagame of saving power ups to use as amplifier/defenders per turn (bubble shield, turrets, active camo etc). Oh and a very rigid hurry up clock to make it feel more tense and pressured.

One of my first ever jobs as an adult was taking screenshots of Laser Squad on the Amstrad CPC464 (and actually typing and debugging entire user-submitted BASIC games). I loved that game.

I'm a big Laser Squad fan too, played the original speccy version and the dos port to death

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Tactics is also getting a standalone artbook. Nice to see since Halo Wars 2 never managed to get one.
ZyjHyE3.jpg

Gears Tactics is the fast-paced, turn-based strategy game from one of the most-acclaimed video game franchises – Gears of War. Outnumbered and fighting for survival, recruit and command your squad to hunt down an evil mastermind who makes monsters.

In this lavish book, the full development process of the characters, weapons, armor, enemies and environments of the game is uncovered. From initial sketches through to beautiful final production art, the evolution of Gears Tactics is revealed, accompanied by fascinating insight from the artists and developers. Take a step into the war-scarred world of Sera and experience Gears of War from a whole new perspective.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"The ESRB has now rated the Gears Tactics video game that will be out later this year. The summary tells us more on what the full game will have.

Gears Tactics is rated M for mature players over the age of 17. The content descriptors say the game features "Blood and Gore, Intense Violence and Strong Language".

The rating summary says: "This is a strategy game in which players lead a squad of soldiers to stop aliens from destroying humanity. From a 3/4-top-down perspective, players use pistols, assault rifles, shotguns and grenades to kill enemy creatures in turn-based tactical combat. Battles are accompanied by realistic gunfire and screams of pain; combat intermittently depicts close-up camera angles—soldiers killing creatures, resulting in decapitation, dismemberment, and large blood-splatter effects. Soldiers can also perform finishing attacks (e.g., chainsaw kills, head stomps, neck snaps) on weakened enemies, highlighted by zoomed-in views. Cutscenes depict additional acts of intense violence: creatures shot in the head at close range; a creature impaled through the chest by a bayonet. The words "f**k," "sh*t," and "a*shole" are heard in the game."

Jup is Gears.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Bleh at the ultra violence :P
But the gameplay looks solid, and I just finished Mario + Rabbids today and was just searching for something with similar gameplay, will definitely check it out

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Bleh at the ultra violence :P
But the gameplay looks solid, and I just finished Mario + Rabbids today and was just searching for something with similar gameplay, will definitely check it out
I think with Gears games they usually have a turn off blood or gore option in the settings. Still not Mario, but it helps tone it down. I suspect Tactics will have something similar.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think with Gears games they usually have a turn off blood or gore option in the settings. Still not Mario, but it helps tone it down. I suspect Tactics will have something similar.
Yeah okay, I'm just annoyed at the trend in gaming regarding violence, it's a bit too much sometimes.

The game looks good though!
I have kinda missed it for some reason, have they talked in depth somewhere about how it works? Do you have action points to spend on movement and action? Do you choose your gang at the start and do the characters have individual skills?
They could totally make a Warhammer-like IP from this, I'm getting vibes from my youth playing 40K, Mario + Rabbids pulled those strings as well, love the strategic side of it all.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah okay, I'm just annoyed at the trend in gaming regarding violence, it's a bit too much sometimes.

The game looks good though!
I have kinda missed it for some reason, have they talked in depth somewhere about how it works? Do you have action points to spend on movement and action? Do you choose your gang at the start and do the characters have individual skills?
They could totally make a Warhammer-like IP from this, I'm getting vibes from my youth playing 40K, Mario + Rabbids pulled those strings as well, love the strategic side of it all.
No idea. I don't think they have talked about it much. I think they have really only showed the game a couple of times. E3 2018 and the most recent game awards.