• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Visuals are top form, love how Gears this looks.

Those XCOM mods make me burn for this:

pyGZN4G.png

R05VyMf.png

I never even beat XCOM2 but this makes me want to reinstall it and just play it as a Halo game haha.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Xcom could use some competition.

You know, it just occurred to me that both of Firaxis' main game series have serious competition now. Civilization is being taken on by Aplitude/Sega's Humankind and XCOM is being taken on by Gears Tactics.

I hope both games are worthy competitors, not that Firaxis ever needs a kick in the butt.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know, it just occurred to me that both of Firaxis' main game series have serious competition now. Civilization is being taken on by Aplitude/Sega's Humankind and XCOM is being taken on by Gears Tactics.

I hope both games are worthy competitors, not that Firaxis ever needs a kick in the butt.

XCOM also has Phoenix Point now IIRC.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This definitely moved to the top of my list. What a match made in heaven, XCOM and gears of war.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Getting a Mutant Zero vibe. Loved that game. Really looking forward to this. The trailer is fantastic.

0xBADC0FFEE

Principal Gameplay Programmer @ Splash Damage
Verified
Dec 2, 2017
London
I guess I can reveal I'm working on this game :) all the comments here and elsewhere are making my day

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been asking for an XCom style game for Halo for years.
Stinkles

Come on Frank!

You mean "Halo Laser Squad?" I've pitched something similar several times based on linear and ballistic sandbox weapons so that you use isometrics for height and splash damage calculations as well as line of sight. Still turn based, but with a metagame of saving power ups to use as amplifier/defenders per turn (bubble shield, turrets, active camo etc). Oh and a very rigid hurry up clock to make it feel more tense and pressured.

One of my first ever jobs as an adult was taking screenshots of Laser Squad on the Amstrad CPC464 (and actually typing and debugging entire user-submitted BASIC games). I loved that game.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
You mean "Halo Laser Squad?" I've pitched something similar several times based on linear and ballistic sandbox weapons so that you use isometrics for height and splash damage calculations as well as line of sight. Still turn based, but with a metagame of saving power ups to use as amplifier/defenders per turn (bubble shield, turrets, active camo etc). Oh and a very rigid hurry up clock to make it feel more tense and pressured.

One of my first ever jobs as an adult was taking screenshots of Laser Squad on the Amstrad CPC464 (and actually typing and debugging entire user-submitted BASIC games). I loved that game.

That would work.

Or just contract out Firaxis and have them do Xcom Presents: Halo ODST Gamma Squad

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've been playing through Phoenix Point which has made me want XCOM3 even more, this will do nicely until then.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Any news on mod support? I generally find these type of games underwhelming out of the gate and it takes a mod community to bring out its full potential.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually kinda worried when we hadn't heard anything on it in a while but that was VERY encouraging!

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
The game looks surprisingly good. Are they using the Unreal engine for Gears Tactics as well?

And I like that they try to create a story driven and cinematic XCOM game. But I wish the characters would be a little less Gears stereotype.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, this looks incredible.

Like, I'm actually kind of blown away - as much as I love the Firaxis XCOM games, they weren't ever really lookers like this is. And the systems seem cool too... man, I'm hyped.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I was actually kinda worried when we hadn't heard anything on it in a while but that was VERY encouraging!

Yep, i was thinking they'd stick with a smaller-scaled XCOM-like game set in the Gears universe but what has been shown so far looks even more than promising. If i finally get into these types of strategy games, it might legit end up being my GOTY :D

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
" Gears Tactics is the fast-paced, turn-based strategy game set 12 years before the first Gears of War. Cities on the planet Sera are beginning to fall to the monstrous threat rising from underground – the Locust Horde. With the government in disarray, a squad of survivors emerge as humanity's last hope. Play as Gabe Diaz, recruiting, equipping and commanding your squads on a desperate mission to hunt down the relentless and powerful leader of the Locust army: Ukkon, the evil mastermind who makes monsters. Against all odds and fighting for survival, outsmart your enemy in uniquely brutal, turn-based tactical combat. Experience the intensity of one of the most-acclaimed video game sagas in an exciting new way. "

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I figured it'd be coming to console. Tactical strategy games can be done on controller, pretty easy.

I find it really weird that the Gears series has the super console-controller focused mainline games, and now the super PC-mouse focused tactics game (games?).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I figured it'd be coming to console. Tactical strategy games can be done on controller, pretty easy.

I find it really weird that the Gears series has the super console-controller focused mainline games, and now the super PC-mouse focused tactics game (games?).
Think its kinda cool really.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
1. This is the best looking strategy game ever
2. If they make good touch screen controls, this will be an Xcloud showpiece

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Think its kinda cool really.
In a way, I suppose it is.
It's a little annoying to me, someone who struggles to get into normal Gears and Halo games, but is also awful at strategy/tactics games. And a large part of Microsoft's catalog since they started bringing games to PC, until very recently, has either been those old-guard games that play far removed from anything I'm used to, and strategy games, which seems to kinda be Microsoft's quick answer to what a "PC game" is. It'd be nice if they made, say, a Halo spinoff that played like a retro FPS, with a much looser weapon limit and all that.

Last edited: