• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
www.ign.com

Gears Tactics Preview: Gears of War Meets XCOM and We're Here for It - IGN

Gears Tactics is shaping up to be more than a Gears-themed reskin of XCOM. Our first hands-on preview with the tactics game showcases how key Gears of War mechanics shake up the strategic gameplay.

Game sounds great. I'm a big XCOM fan, so I'm excited to play this.

My goodness, everything I keep reading makes me that much more excited for this game. It really does sound great!

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
In development for 4 1/2 years? I really hope it does well, it would be great if Gears had its own Forza Horizon like spinoff.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a joke to me that its not on xbox at launch even though a giant game like gears 5 was perfectly easy to put on steam and windows at launch.

Not port begging beacuse we already know its coming to xbox, just dont understand The coalitions thought process here. I guess they want less sales and exposure?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
No better value or than pc gamepass. Microsoft seems to be getting content out on a pretty regular basis.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
System Req

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i3 Skylake | AMD FX-6000
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 260X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 45 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i5 Coffee Lake | AMD Ryzen 3
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 570 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 45 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
www.resetera.com

Gears Tactics - Bit of gameplay from GDC talk and small look at graphics options. PC version will be optimized like Gears 5 and improved

Gameplay. Not the best quality. As its downloaded from a livestream. This is the "gameplay" used for the benchmark mode btw. Benchmark mode like Gears 5 Some settings Full interview can be found here. Wich shows also the settings in a live way and a very interesting talk with the devs...

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
I have never been able to get into Tactical shooters but I love FFT and tactics games. I also love Gears so I am very pumped for this. I hope it makes it to Xbox shortly after PC Release.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who loves the missions of XCOM and dislikes the base building parts, this game sounds like a dream, can't wait to play it.

Oct 31, 2017
Looks good, but hearing that there's not a management phase (or "meta-campaign" as the reviewer calls it in the PC Gamer preview) is a bit of a bummer.
And having a campaign entirely focused on a linear sequence of scripted missions with cinematic cutscenes being the glue between them is more or less what I was afraid about.

Guessing this will be just a fun time-waster and I'll have to wait for XCOM 3 for another "real deal" in tactical combat.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I was initially going to wait for the console release but that early presentation talking about low-spec PCs has me curious. I suppose there's not much to lose by testing it on my desktop with Game Pass.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't realize this was so soon. Definitely going to try it out on PC Game Pass, sounds like it should be right up my alley. I'm a big Gears fan and enjoy X-Com a good bit.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
Looks good, but hearing that there's not a management phase (or "meta-campaign" as the reviewer calls it in the PC Gamer preview) is a bit of a bummer.
And having a campaign entirely focused on a linear sequence of scripted missions with cinematic cutscenes being the glue between them is more or less what I was afraid about.

Guessing this will be just a fun time-waster and I'll have to wait for XCOM 3 for another "real deal" in tactical combat.

yep. sounds like a more casual, mainstream xcom and thats prolly smart biz imo.

will definetely be playing on gamepass looks fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I forgot this was coming out so soon. Between this, Bleeding Edge, and Ori, it's great to see MS adding games to Game Pass at a constant rate.

Never got into Halo Wars, despite loving Halo. XCOM 2 is one of my favourite games of the generation, so I'm really looking forward to this.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not really a fan of the Gears universe, but I'm big on XCOM. And with Game Pass and Corona going on - yeah, I'm gonna try this.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Y'know, this is what I was thinking reading the PCGamer preview. In the same way that Mario + Rabbids took Mario staples and turned them into really effective XCOM mechanics, the way they're using executions, high enemy counts, and emergence holes to encourage risky play and forward momentum really makes me think they've brought Gears into XCOM in a great way.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who isn't typically into these games, this is looking really cool and I like what I've seen. Will play it with game pass.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
This looks great! Really interested. No hint of the free aiming they showed off in the initial trailer though huh? Phoenix point has something like that recently.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, this is what I was thinking reading the PCGamer preview. In the same way that Mario + Rabbids took Mario staples and turned them into really effective XCOM mechanics, the way they're using executions, high enemy counts, and emergence holes to encourage risky play and forward momentum really makes me think they've brought Gears into XCOM in a great way.

Yep, this pretty much nails why it looks to great and unique to me!

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Huh... really surprised this is PC-only at launch. I like Gears, so I'm interested in this. Not sure if or when I'll have time to check it out though. I still need to play Gears 5 at some point.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I would also recommend checking out this book that comes out on April 21st if you are into Gears, as I really enjoyed Jason's 'Ascendance' book that was a prequel to Gears 5.

https://www.amazon.com/Gears-of-War-Bloodlines/dp/B084Y17JLD

The new novel set within the action of the Xbox Game Studios video game Gears 5, by New York Times best-selling author Jason Hough

Tied into the record-breaking Xbox Game Studios video game Gears 5, Gears of War: Bloodlines reveals a mission that takes place within the events of the game.

Stinging from a defeat by the Swarm and the grievous injury of her best friend, JD Fenix, Kait Diaz finds herself forced to choose between following her mother's Outsider ways, or her duty as a Coalition of Ordered Governments soldier like her father, Gabe Diaz: hero of the upcoming Xbox Game Studios video game Gears Tactics.

As Kait learns of Gabe's choices during the Battle of Gatka Ridge, the brutal mission that defined his Pendulum Wars legacy, she discovers how his actions shaped her future - and prepared her for war against the Swarm.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
might sound like blasphemy to some, but this looks way more appealing than a regular Gears game.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Great reads. And turn based strategy is my bread and butter.
This following the news that Splash Damage is doing stadia exclusives... Feels like Double Helix situation all over again?
Although Splash Damage is apparently pretty big. And we don't really need a tactics game every 2 years.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
might sound like blasphemy to some, but this looks way more appealing than a regular Gears game.
Isn't that the point of this game? To expand the Gears brand and appeal to a wider audience not necessarily fans of the fast paced core gameplay loop of the third person, cover based shooting in their mainline games by making a slower paced, strategic tactical game that remains true in spirit of Gears.

Last edited:

TRios Zen

Oct 25, 2017
Have recently finished Wasteland 2 and Mutant: Year Zero, working on my playthrough of XCOM2 now. I've been training for this!

Between Wasteland 3 and this I will be spoiled.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Tactics_PCSpecs.jpg

Throughout the development of Gears Tactics, The Coalition worked with Intel and the Xe-LP architecture to optimize the game. New to Gears on PC is support for Variable Rate Shading (VRS). Async Compute capabilities have been improved, and content has been built to scale across a wide range of devices. VRS, a relatively new technique, reduces the pixel complexity of a scene to effectively give Gears Tactics a performance boost without sacrificing visual fidelity. Async Compute allows for certain graphics workloads to be run in parallel, allowing the game to perform more back-end graphics processes to keep your session running smooth. And with new Intel hardware compatibility, that translates to fantastic performance across the upcoming Intel Xe architecture.

news.xbox.com

Microsoft Joins with Intel to Optimize Gears Tactics for PC - Xbox Wire

Soon, you can experience the next chapter of the acclaimed Gears of War series built from the ground up for PC. Combining deep, tactical turned-based gameplay and a powerful story of leadership and sacrifice, Gears Tactics will send you back to the front lines at the dawn of the Locust War. In...

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like we get a great pc version. Everything from Gears 5 moves over from settings to benchmark and more. Kinda expected nowadays from Coalition. But still.
Also Splash Damage offcourse. We are primary PC focused devs.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we get a great pc version. Everything from Gears 5 moves over from settings to benchmark and more. Kinda expected nowadays from Coalition. But still.
Also Splash Damage offcourse. We are primary PC focused devs.

Yea, from everything we're hearing it sounds like Tactics is going to be great.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It utterly shits me that Xbox has keyboard and mouse options but they seem to forget this and just palm it off as "Hey you'll get it some day" makes zero fucking sense.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh, It looks neat but I'm really bummed about hearing the lack of management options.

I'll probably still try it, but the less complex a game is, the faster I'll get bored of it. Happened with Mario + Rabbids as well.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God this looks really good. Gears + XCom is such a great pairing.

Great reads. And turn based strategy is my bread and butter.
This following the news that Splash Damage is doing stadia exclusives... Feels like Double Helix situation all over again?
Although Splash Damage is apparently pretty big. And we don't really need a tactics game every 2 years.

I don't think it's a similar situation. Double Helix was bought by Amazon which removed the ability to work with Microsoft anymore. Splash Damage is working with Google, but they're not an independent studio so there's not the risk of Google buying them. Them working on Stadia games doesn't remove the ability for them to continue working with Microsoft.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
As a fan of xcom 1 I'm excited to try this. Has there been anyone saying how long the game will be?