• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Just started and petty impressed so far, wasn't expecting to have as much cosmetic customisation as it does, but will glady give all my units very bright yellow armour all day long

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
As an XCOM fan I like this game a lot it's well optimized (unlike XCOM 2 sigh) that runs 4k 60fps no prob on my outdated rig, great graphics and gameplay. Love all the customization options too.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
completed act 2
corpser gave me less trouble than the brumak, cleared it without a downed soldier

thread lacks squad pictures
that's Mikayla, Gabe, Sid and Archibald "Bug" heavy recruit

iKuKlo2.png

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Not really liking the Brumak fight, I think the problem is that the game wants you to be on the move (basically 1 AP every single turn dedicated just for moving), but due to the way the fight works the arena becomes kind of tiny.

What I mean by this is that you can't be too far from Brumak else you can't target him, you can't be too close to him else he'll stomp, but you also need to split your team on two opposite sides in order to hit his tank properly, add to that part of the arena available to you becomes a bad spot every turn due to missiles, so there aren't a lot of places you can go to if you want to consistently keep damaging the boss, you can play it safe but it'll just drag the fight even more.

Changes I'd have made to the fight would be to maybe make the arena a square and a bit larger, and have the total number of missiles fired not be more than 2.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
completed act 2
corpser gave me less trouble than the brumak, cleared it without a downed soldier

thread lacks squad pictures
that's Mikayla, Gabe, Sid and Archibald "Bug" heavy recruit

iKuKlo2.png
Nice!
With all that customization G Tactics is becoming the Warframe of strategy games.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Not really liking the Brumak fight, I think the problem is that the game wants you to be on the move (basically 1 AP every single turn dedicated just for moving), but due to the way the fight works the arena becomes kind of tiny.

What I mean by this is that you can't be too far from Brumak else you can't target him, you can't be too close to him else he'll stomp, but you also need to split your team on two opposite sides in order to hit his tank properly, add to that part of the arena available to you becomes a bad spot every turn due to missiles, so there aren't a lot of places you can go to if you want to consistently keep damaging the boss, you can play it safe but it'll just drag the fight even more.

Changes I'd have made to the fight would be to maybe make the arena a square and a bit larger, and have the total number of missiles fired not be more than 2.

This is why killing the arm cannons is essential. It increases the available space by removing the need for cover. Also, a sniper helps, I had one on the other side of the map, could nail the tanks!

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
im really loving what im playing. im a few ch into act 2 and its really got me hooked. i even picked up XCOPS at launch and shelved it almost immediately. just didnt care for the extra XCOM fluff. this game is just all meat and potatoes and thats what i like

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Gotta say the difficulty is really ruining it for me and my friends. I have around 600 hours in xcom 1 and 2 but for some reason this game is just ridiculously hard. And I'm only on normal. Theres little point to use chainsaws or bayonets because most enemies hit you as soon as you get near.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say the difficult is really ruining it for me and my friends. I have around 600 hours in xcom 1 and 2 but for some reason this game is just ridiculously hard. And I'm only on normal. Theres little point to use chainsaws or bayonets because most enemies hit you as soon as you get near.

That's interesting, because this is my first ever turn based tactics game and I am actually finding Intermediate difficulty to be mostly pretty easy, especially now that I'm really far into the skill trees. Not a flex! Just an interesting observation. I'm currently nearing the end of the game, and I can wipe out whole encounters in one turn with synergy between my squad giving each other extra actions.

Maybe your Xcom veteran status is causing you to make decisions based on what would work in Xcom, but Gears takes a different play style to succeed? And my totally clean slate is making it easier to adapt the Gears style.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
That's interesting, because this is my first ever turn based tactics game and I am actually finding Intermediate difficulty to be mostly pretty easy, especially now that I'm really far into the skill trees. Not a flex! Just an interesting observation. I'm currently nearing the end of the game, and I can wipe out whole encounters in one turn with synergy between my squad giving each other extra actions.

Maybe your Xcom veteran status is causing you to make decisions based on what would work in Xcom, but Gears takes a different play style to succeed? And my totally clean slate is making it easier to adapt the Gears style.
How are you handling your squad? Are you leveling all of your units evenly or just focusing on a core group? Im at the boss fight at the end of act 2 and no one is level 6 yet.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I like the scout's exertion ability. Getting a few extra action points can be quite powerful and you can typically make up for the damage with other abilities (heal when cloaking or similar). In general I'm not a fan of the recruitment system though. I'd rather have a hero of each class and use them in every mission. It also undermines the system a little that you can normally recruit level appropriate newcomers. Why spend time leveling them up, when another level appropriate character is just around the corner and you could give the XP to the heroes instead?

Getting rid of that and drastically reducing or even better entirely removing loot would make for much better pacing.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say the difficulty is really ruining it for me and my friends. I have around 600 hours in xcom 1 and 2 but for some reason this game is just ridiculously hard. And I'm only on normal. Theres little point to use chainsaws or bayonets because most enemies hit you as soon as you get near.
something else is going on. normal is VERY fair and probably even borderline easy. only specific enemies hit when you approach them or attempt to move when your already close to them. turn the tac thing on, it should tell you. you can also tell when theres a red circle on the ground surrounding them.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
How are you handling your squad? Are you leveling all of your units evenly or just focusing on a core group? Im at the boss fight at the end of act 2 and no one is level 6 yet.

My "dream team" is Gabe, Cole, Mikayla, and a scout trooper I recruited early on. I try to use them as much as possible, but if restrictions dont allow them, I have recruited a few level 5 soldiers to sub in and out. For what it's worth, I am about 6 missions into Act 3 and I think only 2 of my people are level 6.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
something else is going on. normal is VERY fair and probably even borderline easy. only specific enemies hit when you approach them or attempt to move when your already close to them. turn the tac thing on, it should tell you. you can also tell when theres a red circle on the ground surrounding them.
I mean. The big issues im having are technical based perhaps. Im getting awful checkpoints that are putting me in hopeless situations. And with all the grenadiers who shoot if you move, and i have multiple downed people, its literally impossible to progress through my checkpoint. The game should really have a multiple checkpoint system so you dont get placed at an impossible scenario.

And i do believe there are some confusing ideas implemented into some of the enemies that are not what youd expect in a gears of war game. For instance, the chainsaw and wretches go together like peanut butter and jelly, but you can't even chainsaw wretches in this.

I like the game, im just frusterated right now because I've died like 15 times on the 2nd boss on normal.

Oct 25, 2017

Once you figure out the mechanics it will be a breeze. Overwatch is super OP imo. And just do not try to melee the enemies that get attacks of opportunity represented by the large radial red circle that pops up if you try to move too close to one.

Grenadiers are easy to deal with. Once you shoot them they berserk. That stops their attack of opportunity, which means you can then 1 shot them with chainsaw or bayonet.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking the game quite a bit. I know people throw around XCOM comparisons, but this feels much more like a turn-based take on Dawn of War II to me (to the point where I'm probably going to transition straight to that once I'm done here). That all said, there's some stuff (like the checkpoint system, especially on the Brumack fight; chainsaws and bayonets feeling borderline useless given the only enemies that come in close are enemies you can't melee; inventory management; loot system) that could definitely be improved on in future entries.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I like the scout's exertion ability. Getting a few extra action points can be quite powerful and you can typically make up for the damage with other abilities (heal when cloaking or similar). In general I'm not a fan of the recruitment system though. I'd rather have a hero of each class and use them in every mission. It also undermines the system a little that you can normally recruit level appropriate newcomers. Why spend time leveling them up, when another level appropriate character is just around the corner and you could give the XP to the heroes instead?

Getting rid of that and drastically reducing or even better entirely removing loot would make for much better pacing.
I think this might be one area where another layer could help make the game more interesting. You have a deep pool of characters, but they don't all do much and thus they never get to level up. And the incentive is to toss the underused ones away to make space for the rest. At the very least, they should have a space where those Gears go, so they can be utilized in narrative. It seems very unlike Gabe Diaz to just toss soldiers to go fend for themselves.

Make them "work in the base", where they can maybe slowly gain levels, go out on supply missions, and automatically find loot for you. That might also allow you to make the side missions optional. You can send your squad to auto complete a mission or two, while you're taking on another mission. Their rewards will be less, but if you're not interested in one type, it doesn't drag. Conversely, if you prefer to power level and take on EVERY side mission yourself, this might be a way to allow some players to do that (within reason, like how xcom forces you to advance the world state).

I always love the feeling of progressing not just the individuals, but the whole effort. But I also like how generally streamlined Gears is. I would hate to add in a huge research or building component (because the story doesn't progress that way). To me, there are middle ground ways to maybe do a bit of both.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I literally just switched from my snub to my lancer and it triggered a nearby trip mine on the 2nd boss fight... i dont think that was supposed to happen.

Honestly 90% of the complaints on difficulty I have are based on the checkpoints on this 2nd boss fight. Its literally impossible to finish from this checkpoint and I dont really have the desire to replay the mission from the beginning.

eCPT8Aa.jpg

I mean what am I supposed to do with that? lol. Literally starting with a mine on my characters spot, and 90% of the map is covered. If I move her, she blows up and then gets downed by the boss's zone. How is it fair to place an unavoidable mine directly on your character?

Last edited:

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I'm finding it quite the opposite. Maybe later on I'll run into problems, but the combination of a) your soldiers are superhuman, b) execution kills gives you extra turns and c) overwatch is stupid OP makes getting through the missions a breeze so far.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just beat act 2 with everyone at level 5. For skill trees I prioritized anything that gives free actions. Been pretty easy tbh.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This is why killing the arm cannons is essential. It increases the available space by removing the need for cover. Also, a sniper helps, I had one on the other side of the map, could nail the tanks!
I had a sniper too, you still need to be somewhat closer as you can be out of range even with a sniper, especially if he Brumak chases after the team on the other end of the map.

I wish I was able to reselect my load out/characters before the fight though. Was kinda silly to have the boss fight immediately be after a rather dense level.

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
so is there any must haves in the skill trees so far? I just started to get skill trees. What should i be aiming for on my main guys?

Anything OP?

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
The sniper's critical shot and the scout's double shot helped a lot of blowing those arm cannon a ofd. Then it was just smooth sailing as you said as you don't need cover. Just need to make sure to plant a grenade on top of every emergence hole that pops up and it helped that I gave my whole squad frags.

Oct 25, 2017
I literally just switched from my snub to my lancer and it triggered a nearby trip mine on the 2nd boss fight... i dont think that was supposed to happen.

Honestly 90% of the complaints on difficulty I have are based on the checkpoints on this 2nd boss fight. Its literally impossible to finish from this checkpoint and I dont really have the desire to replay the mission from the beginning.

eCPT8Aa.jpg

I mean what am I supposed to do with that? lol. Literally starting with a mine on my characters spot, and 90% of the map is covered. If I move her, she blows up and then gets downed by the boss's zone. How is it fair to place an unavoidable mine directly on your character?

Have you tried just unloading everything into the boss? Even if it takes 2 rounds you may be able to pull it off.

And I think, although not sure, that you can move up the stairs to the left without triggering the mine due to line of sight?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just seems nuts to me seeing people complain about bayonets and chainsaws being "useless". They're a guaranteed kill on most of the enemies in the game and the talents you can spec into for them are great. Must be a playstyle thing.

Oct 25, 2017
It just seems nuts to me seeing people complain about bayonets and chainsaws being "useless". They're a guaranteed kill on most of the enemies in the game and the talents you can spec into for them are great. Must be a playstyle thing.

I was thinking the same thing. Even Theron guard can be 1 hit by a bayonet with 100% accuracy from pretty damn far and then your vanguard gets the action point back (if you have the skill for that) so you basically got across the map and killed something strong for no action points or ammo. Then of course after my vanguard kills something for free, it gets 50% crit buff for the turn (due to attachment) and does like 250% damage on a crit (another attachment) and every kill reduces the bayonet cooldown. Bayonet is insane and chainsaw is a weaker form of it but a lesser bayonet is still really strong.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
My sniper has achieved godlike status
Chain shot
Fast fingers
Ultimate shot
All my attachments are actions or crits

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
My sniper has achieved godlike status
Chain shot
Fast fingers
Ultimate shot
All my attachments are actions or crits

Yep! She wipes out whole enemy teams in one turn lol.

Also digging scout with stalker, extended cloak, free cloak, and with extra AP from exertion and Gabe's empower. With cloak, sprint, extra AP, and movement enhancing gear, she can get behind enemy lines and set mined and grenades all over the place. I love it.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
It was the global best seller on Steam on launch day.
So, on one particular day it was the #1 selling title on Steam across the globe. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for any success Phil Spencer's Xbox Division has, but is this really such a big deal? What else was released that day to compete against? And is it carrying high numbers subsequently?

I just completed Act 2. I wouldn't say that boss was easier than Act 1's boss. Positioning is key and I got screwed several times for not knowing when/where more enemies would enter the arena. Add to that a small arena, on top of the major mechanic, and I had to reload checkpoints a bunch. One time my Sid bugged out and was doing his "get to cover" animation over and over without ever actually getting to cover. I could not proceed the turn no matter what; I had to reload that checkpoint.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
So, on one particular day it was the #1 selling title on Steam across the globe. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for any success Phil Spencer's Xbox Division has, but is this really such a big deal? What else was released that day to compete against? And is it carrying high numbers subsequently?

It was the head of Xbox, taking a single tweet to give a public pat on the back to the people who worked to make the game, and thanks to the customers who are playing it.

Oct 27, 2017
I am still early, completed the mission they introduce enemy snipers. So far... it is really repetitive. The story is also a bunch of boring high production value characters babbling.

The biggest problem is the random drop-off points of the enemy units. It is usually unlucky the first try they drop, and if you have to repeat the checkpoint, it is a cakewalk when you know which side they attack from. There shouldn't be this much of the difference between 1st and 2nd tries.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I find baffling is how those "tug of war" capture point side missions instantly end when you get enough points. No evac, just an immediate victory screen.

Other missions with no real time pressure have an evac, though.

The evac situations are very inconsistent.

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I find baffling is how those "tug of war" capture point side missions instantly end when you get enough points. No evac, just an immediate victory screen.

Other missions with no real time pressure have an evac, though.

The evac situations are very inconsistent.

Oh yeah, that too. I even had a downed teammate when the mission just ended, and my guys were driving home.

I think that unless you finish that type of mission with the cutscene/cinematic showcasing the closure, the game should have asked to clear the area to end the mission.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I've gone from day 1-2 absolutely loving this game into a now more measured assessment.

this is a good first step into the genre for this team and has a good foundation for the future.
Pros
Combat pacing is good
Looks gorgeous
Fun abilities
Good synergies with gear attachments

Cons
Bugs
Lack of mission variety
Recruit troop system needs reworking
Enemy AI needs improving

There's lots more I could list for both but I think this is a really good 8/10 game and I can't wait to see what they do next

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I've gone from day 1-2 absolutely loving this game into a now more measured assessment.

this is a good first step into the genre for this team and has a good foundation for the future.
Pros
Combat pacing is good
Looks gorgeous
Fun abilities
Good synergies with gear attachments

Cons
Bugs
Lack of mission variety
Recruit troop system needs reworking
Enemy AI needs improving

There's lots more I could list for both but I think this is a really good 8/10 game and I can't wait to see what they do next

This is exactly where I'm at. It's an 8 out of 10 game with potential to be a lot more in the future. Solid foundation and does some things better than Xcom. At the very least, it offers a different take on Xcom which could be more appealing to some people.

I can deal with the enemy AI simply because Gears enemies have never been known for brains. The between missions stuff and samey environments are the main weaknesses. If they rework the macro stuff with an expansion and add some unique looking levels, this could be a 9 out of 10 game.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I like the scout's exertion ability
Yep! She wipes out whole enemy teams in one turn lol.

Also digging scout with stalker, extended cloak, free cloak, and with extra AP from exertion and Gabe's empower. With cloak, sprint, extra AP, and movement enhancing gear, she can get behind enemy lines and set mined and grenades all over the place. I love it.
I need to try that. Ive tried scouts on side missions and just couldn't grasp them. In xcom2 I always ran 2 rangers, loved them in that game. Here I usually run vanguard, sniper, heavy, and support.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am really liking it so far, but just 3 missions in.
It's harder than I thought on the normal difficulty (for now).

Really liking the customization, but really disliking the menus...

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Welp only 3 more chapters and the game will be done, I have enjoyed it so far, been playing it as a chill game which is odd considering a shooting grubs to bits lmao