• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it worked for me, it didn't

So even after launch time I can't even install the game. This app is nothing but shit sometimes.

It worked for me but I tried many other fixes as well so it might be one of them. Reset Windows Store. Clear Windows Store cache. Reinstall the Xbox App. Restart PC.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Guess who didn't actually finish download the preload and now has a 30gb download to do.

This idiot right here.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I haven't played yet, but from the benchmark test it seems like a pretty good port. 100 fps 1080p with a 5700 and 3600x.

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Finished the first chapter... I think I'm really gonna like this one :)
Performs well enough on my laptop which in no way is suited for high-end gaming but it does the job nicely.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Man, they weren't kidding about this being a regular Gears game with a higher camera. It's great, and I dont even like turn based that much. HDR in this game is INSANE as well. Very odd DF didnt even touch it.

Deleted member 36749

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
Game is flames, man they killed the transition to strategy.

I was skeptical as hell lol, but now i'm happy i'm off today. I told my wife I aint doin nothin, i aint goin nowhere, and tell that damn dog to walk emself lol

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
With a controller the camera controls are quite cumbersome and probably not what one might expect. You move around with the right analog stick, but rotate with the d-pad and have a cursor on the left analog stick that will also move the camera when leaving the center of the screen.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
All pre-loaded and....

IKaOSeA.png

Windows Store remains a massive load of shit.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All you people talking about how good it looks and it looks like shit on my rig ='(

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
With a controller the camera controls are quite cumbersome and probably not what one might expect. You move around with the right analog stick, but rotate with the d-pad and have a cursor on the left analog stick that will also move the camera when getting nearer to the edge of the screen.
I've spent the past 50 minutes tinkering with the graphics settings trying to get the best visuals at just the right resolution, but I intend to play on the controller. I'm on a big screen, but I find the lap keyboard to be too cumbersome.

Just like Gears 5, the graphics settings are filled to the brim and show what each setting does in a small screen cap. PC games all over should learn from this.

I have an i7-3930k @ 4.6 GHz with a 2070 Super overclocked to 2080 levels. I can run the game on Ultra at 1800p 60 fps, only turning down ambient occlusion and shadows down one notch EDIT and screen-space reflections down a notch, sorry. . This is all according to the built-in benchmark, but, regardless, I am loving the performance!

Now to actually start the game...

Last edited:

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Subbed to gamepass for this. I'm a fan of XCOM 2, but only played OG Gears so I'll be lost on whatever lore and weapons are in it.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Bummer...Did you install with the Windows store of the Xbox app? I have never had an issue installing a game via the Xbox app.

Xbox app...pressed 'Play' and nothing happened. Jumped over to the store app to see what the issue was and was greeted with the error.

Luckily my internet isn't awful so I should be playing in an hour

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent the past 50 minutes tinkering with the graphics settings trying to get the best visuals at just the right resolution, but I intend to play on the controller.

Oh it seems fully playable from what little I've seen (tutorial section), just cumbersome and using a set-up I wasn't expecting. I would imagine it being changed in the console version, because it's clearly trying to adapt something, instead of feeling tailor made at least in the mission themselves (haven't gotten to the customization menus). It will also randomly forget you're playing with a controller and display keyboard prompts when a tutorial pops up, until you make an input on the joypad, making it switch instantly.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
It will also randomly forget you're playing with a controller and display keyboard prompts when a tutorial pops up, until you make an input on the joypad, making it switch instantly.
Yeah, I've gotten that just by hopping through the menus. Also, for whatever odd reason, I can't adjust HDR settings with the controller. Seems an odd oversight.

A little off topic, but what are your clock settings. I have a 2070 Super but I have not really tried OC'ing it since I wasn't sure what was reasonable. I know it varies per card.
This is on a Founder's Edition card:

Core Clock: +100 MHz (hovers around 2 GHz)
Mem Clock: +1000 MHz (for a nice round 8 GHz)

Off to Serra I go now!

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Damn. How has this year been so good to us on games already? Like this may be the best year since 2007 for games and were only a third through it!!

Ori, Half Life, and Gears Tactics have been my highlights of the year so far!

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the first mission and... Oh boy I'm in for a ride... Game feels so good! I do really missed original Locusts.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Subbed to gamepass for this. I'm a fan of XCOM 2, but only played OG Gears so I'll be lost on whatever lore and weapons are in it.

Thankfully from what ive played so far, the game doesnt need any prior knowledge. Its start pretty much at the start lf the overall story and has seperate characters and lore.

Might take you a few seconds to adjust andlearn the enemy types.

Playing so far and having an absolute blast

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm not a big fan of shooters so this will be my first Gears game. Hopefully it's a bit approachable for newcomers to the franchise.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I died in the part where the game introduces the e-hole, more specifically the second wave after the hole. Unless I missed something the game restarted me from the complete beginning the game, no checkpoint at all. That's lame. I was expecting to restart after the bank vault cutscene at least.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've gotten that just by hopping through the menus. Also, for whatever odd reason, I can't adjust HDR settings with the controller. Seems an odd oversight.

Yeah, there are some small quirks with a controller, but that aside it runs extremely well for me (60fps at 1080p on my five year old i7-6700k/GTX 980Ti with a mixture of high and ultra settings) and seems to understand and capture the Gears universe better that one could have hoped for at least based on my very limited playtime.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
After playing this quite a bit so far I'm actually surprised it didn't score a lot higher. I'm not a huge fan of the genre but this plays really well.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks incredible. When this was first announced I definitely wasn't expecting these kinds of production values.