• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I wish there was a Gears Tactics sequel. The first game wasn't perfect but, you could see how they could make something even more awesome with a sequel.

Things the game did really well, especially for a tactics game:

• Great graphics, it's probably the best looking game of its ilk
  • It had a nice cohesive story with well made cutscenes
  • It had new gameplay ideas that also helped to translate Bears into a new genre. Specifically I am talking about the combo system here
  • Plays even great with a pad
  • Great difficulty settings which I think make it very approachable for new players, but you can also bump it up for a nice challenge
  • Armor system to customize your characters was pretty good
What it could improve on:

• More maps, there are some repeats in there
  • Add meta layer like an Xcom, where you manage some kind of base. That to me is the biggest miss. While the missions are cool, this would add a lot more meat to this game
  • while I like the story based campaign, maybe pull a Total War Warhammer and offer one with less story that is more open ended, where you could get wild with the meta layer stuff.
I just really love Gears Tactics and because to me it's somewhat obvious how you could make it even better it's frustrating that we haven't heard anything about a sequel.

Oh well, guess I'll wait for Midnight Suns or give Warhammer 40k Chaosgate a shot once I have bought myself a new PC.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I was really enjoying it, but never finished it. I just got burned out, it was too long and kind of repetitive. Still, I agree that it laid the foundation for an incredible sequel that they could build on, and tighten up a bit (or throw more in there to justify the length).

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Yes. It needs more budget to flesh out everything about it. The core is very strong, but it rapidly fell apart after the first chapter.

It legitimately had a the most interesting Brumak fight of the franchise.

Logsi

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it! Got hit by a car when on a motorbike last year and it was one of the few games I could play one handed.

It passed the time until I could get the wires out of my other hand.

Just wish X-Com got a 60 fps patch as it's really hard to go back to after Tactics!

Treythalomew

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it as well. I hope they get to make another. The boss fights were really cool and tense.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Preach it. There are some improvements to be made (I hated the last boss fight) but I think Gears moves over to the Tactics field very well.

I hope we do get a sequel one day.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Would love a sequel. You're right about base management and I wonder if it was initially in the design for the first? Really thought when you find the mobile base you'd be able to manage things there but it's more of a quick menu.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really good fun. I loved that they captured the sheer power of guns - a fully upgraded gatling gun dude is a thing to behold, just blasting fools.

Loved the changes they made to overwatch.

Would love a sequel with base management as you've said.

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
Gears Tactics really raised the bar on a lot of things. It was drop dead gorgeous with fun gameplay and a pretty decent story. It's kind of shocking how good it looks when you compare it to just about any other tactical or top-down game. Sort of makes you realize that Firaxis and Blizzard have been resting on their laurels for a while now.

Edit - Just look at this:
DXUWK2J.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I had a lot of fun with the game, but the boss fights left a lot to be desired. As did the mission repetition. It did scratch that tactics itch, though. But yeah, the boss fights are the one thing I wish were drastically different.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If Mario and Rabbids didn't already confirm every game should have an x-com style spinoff then this game did.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Preach it. There are some improvements to be made (I hated the last boss fight) but I think Gears moves over to the Tactics field very well.

I hope we do get a sequel one day.

Gears ended up morphing into an Unreal-style fast paced shotgun fest, but I feel like the core pitch for the series was always a slower paced tactical shooter. It makes sense that a legitimate strategy game based on it would work well.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I really enjoyed my playthrough and personally, I kinda liked that it was a more "simplified" X-com. I wouldn't mind some base elements but I wouldn't want it to get as in-depth as that game.

With that said, the game's biggest shortcoming was the lack of Maps/Missions. During the parts where you had to complete them until the next story mission popped up. A lot of stuff definitely repeated and you got into a rhythm pretty quick on what options were typically the best.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't realize this was a turn-based game, I thought it was more small-scale RTS like the Warhammer games. Adding it to my wishlist.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The thing that turned me off on this game is the same thing that happens with many of these tactic style games: the mid play expansion of the map and additional encounters. Like, I plan my mission for what I see and know and then the game blindsides you with additional bullshit, often when you have completed what you set out to accomplish. It almost seems designed to make you play a map multiple times just to plan for all the additional hidden BS that gets sprung on you from nowhere. I just hate that.

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
It's pretty decent though the boss battles are boring and awful. Hopefully they could improve that in a sequel.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I think my biggest issue was the lack of strategy layer to it. Not sure exactly what it's called, but like the aspect between XCOM missions where you're doing research, upgrading your base, and so on. It's a nice change of pace from the missions.

I think a sequel to Gears Tactics could be really good.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I've never finished the last 20% of the game, but the first 80% was a good time, the production values blew me away, and the game difficulty was perfect, challenging and tense without feeling annoying.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Yep loved it but was upset at the last Boss and how long and hard it was,I realise its the final Boss of a game but it shouldnt have been that frustrating and a pain to start over,way too long,so I never finished but overall had tons of fun.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Gears Tactics and Halo Wars were cool, big-sh budget for the genre games, even if both (3) didn't quite stick the landing

Now give me Fable City Builder and Forza Motorshop

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it but they wanted it to be a game more like gears of war than like xcom. I liked it, never finished, but it's not the xcom style game sequel I want to get my hands on right now.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Yup. Awesome game. I just missed something useful to do between the missions. Other than that I had a blast.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
  • Add meta layer like an Xcom, where you manage some kind of base. That to me is the biggest miss. While the missions are cool, this would add a lot more meat to this game

One of the reasons I like this game so much was the fact it didn't have the above lol. Xcom just got way too complicated for me at a certain point where I lost interest. I liked the simplicity of Gears Tactics personally.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I played a couple of missions and it seems quite good, just a lot of other games to play at the moment.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Gears Tactics doesn't get enough praise, it kind of just came and went which is unfortunate. If I'm not mistaken the developer got acquired by Embracer? So hopefully their relationship is still good with Microsoft and The Coalition.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Amazing game, and I totally agree that the lack of base management was a bummer.
Even more considering how much "on the road" the crew is.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great game......until about halfway through the campaign. Then it just gets VERY repetitive. Still finished it, though, and enjoyed it overall, but they really ran out of ideas beforre the end. The whole final Act is just the same thing you've done before, over and over. Could even say the same for a lot of Act 2 as well.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed my playthrough and personally, I kinda liked that it was a more "simplified" X-com. I wouldn't mind some base elements but I wouldn't want it to get as in-depth as that game.

With that said, the game's biggest shortcoming was the lack of Maps/Missions. During the parts where you had to complete them until the next story mission popped up. A lot of stuff definitely repeated and you got into a rhythm pretty quick on what options were typically the best.

Yeah same.

It could have some base management stuff, but IMO what a sequel needs more is some more mission variety.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I will forever be sad about this game, and say it everywhere I can...

Because a year later, there is still a game-breaking bug that happened to me during the very last phase of the final boss, and everytime I try to finish the phase characters at some point stop moving and I can't do any actions.

@ The Coalition
@ Splash Damage
Pls fix it.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Fans of Gears Tactics should check this out
store.steampowered.com

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters on Steam

Lead humanity’s greatest weapon, the Grey Knights, in this fast-paced turn-based tactical RPG. Root out and purge a galaxy-spanning plague in a cinematic, story-driven campaign, using the tactics and talents of your own personalised squad of Daemonhunters.

It had a few hiccups at launch, but 6 patches later it's in good shape and really channels X-Com. Suffers from a few quality of life issues that would score it highers, but it's not gamebreaking. Great looking and fun tactics game.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I absolutely love Gears, the third person franchise.

But I couldn't finish the second mission out of sheer boredom in Tactics.

I dont know what happened, I have finished Final Fantasy Tactics, some Super Robot War games, etc.

Maybe is the fact that its "gears in a different mode", a mode that didn't resonate with me (I wanted to just control my characters the regular way)

Last edited:

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The game is too long, but the core gameplay is fantastic. It got me into the tactics Genre. It feels really good to set up overwatch in this game and watch everything just run in and get gibbed. Also, I really enjoyed a lot of the boss battles.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see a sequel. The way they switched to an entirely new genre, but still made it feel like Gears without skipping a beat, was masterful. Some changes I'd like to see:

1: Revamp the recruit system. You can litterally take a created character on missions and they'll still be weaker, than new recruits later on. Why invest time in then them then.

2: I'm perhaps in the minority that don't think the game needed a meta game between the missions, but I'd like to see them leaning more into the lore and character side of things. Let us visit places and talk to people between the missions, so it becomes more like some SRPGs, with more development between battles than just a short cutscene. It's a Gears game, make the world matter. Tell me what and why I'm in some specific location and how it relates to the rest of the world and lore.

3: Don't make side missions mandatory and especially not more and more of them, as chapters go on. Focus on main story content, with some optional side content for those that want more.

4: If upgraded equipment is still a part of the game, instead of having a million items Diablo/Borderlands style, have the upgrades matter, when you find something new. Don't give me extra numbers so small, I feel I'm wasting my time optimizing.

But even if they don't change a thing, another Gears Tactics would be more than welcome.

Last edited:

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
It got a little needlessly tought towards the end but I was genuinely shocked at how good the majority of the game was. I like X-Com style gameplay but the world of X-Com itself just doesn't interest me, so seeing it the Gears universe was cool and I liked how they still made it feel very Gears with the executions actually giving you more AP and stuff. The custom armour/guns in cutscenes was great aswell

It's nice to see franchises have spin-off titles. If Sony were to every bring Killzone back, which they won't, I hope they would look to this (and X-Com) for ideas.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I loved it but it had some negatives that really soured the experience for me, levels were all very same-y and repeated very quickly, story characters that were forced in to your party and were not allowed to die resulting in a game over and the insane difficulty spikes.

I had tried that boss with the rocket launchers around 8 times, put it to easy and still got destroyed no matter what tactic I tried. It was constantly one guy dying and the other charcters trying to revive them. I had to use a trainer to get passed it but once done I've had my fill of that game.

That said, if they adressed those things and let us play with just replacable squads I can't wait for a sequel. The gameplay and graphics were killer and playing a non-janky and glitchy XCOM was a nice change.

OP
OP
Xater

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Indo also agree with you guys on the bosses. The last one especially wasn't great. That seems also like something that should be fixable though.

One of the reasons I like this game so much was the fact it didn't have the above lol. Xcom just got way too complicated for me at a certain point where I lost interest. I liked the simplicity of Gears Tactics personally.

I mean it is not bad without it, but that extra layer usually makes these games more replayable. Especially if we add generic squadies with per a death. Like I said I could see like a second more open ended campaign doesn't have a story at all and is just about the management and missions to achieve a goal.