• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which series is your favorite?

• Gears of War

Votes: 715 65.2%
  • Resistance

Votes: 174 15.9%
  • Killzone

Votes: 192 17.5%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 16 1.5%

• Total voters

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Series-wise, Gears is the more consistently good one.

Shout out to both Gears and Killzone for having MP bots. We see that less and less.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I love Resistance but Gears had some legitimately incredible games, so my vote goes to Gears.

Also I'm pretty disappointed that Killzone has more votes than Resistance. Did not see that coming at all.

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
I voted Gears, but remember having a good time with Resistance 1 and 2. Was Resistance 3 any good?

Feb 23, 2019
Gears is the most consistent overall

But my favorite single game out of all of these is Killzone 2 for both MP and SP. Even to this day that game impresses the hell out of me.

Sadly I never played Resistance 3, but I enjoyed the SP of R1. R2 was garbage.

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Gears, don't care about Killzone, but had fun when I played the Resistance trilogy for the first time earlier this year. So Resistance got my vote.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 2/3>>Resistance 3>>>>>>any Killzone game.

Huge bummer that Sony seemingly killed the Resistance series with that absolutely horrible Vita title.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
As a complete package, KZ2 is still my favorite FPS of all time, too bad the series went downhill from there.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Never could get into Gears. Resistance was fine. Killzone 2 was legit one of the greatest FPSs of all time, so I vote that.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Killzone > Gears > Resistance

Killzone 3's multiplayer was so good. I loved operations mode. I got the platinum trophy and all the extra trophies that came with the DLC maps. I'd love to see the Killzone multiplayer make a comeback.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I like all 3 but I'd take a new killzone or Resistance over a new gears. Mainly because we haven't seen the others in some time.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
KZ2 was solid as hell and great, but 3 and Shadow Fall were pretty lackluster. If we're comparing entire franchises, Gears blows the other 2 out of the water and it's not close.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Killzone 2 had some of my favorite multiplayer modes ever. I really wish the longer maps with rotating game modes was more of a thing because I played countless hours of that multiplayer because of it.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Gears as a franchise (only played 360 entries)

Killzone 2 was the best singular package

Resistance 3 was the best campaign

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
KZ2 would comfortably be my favorite game. But Gears is easily my favorite series out of them, loved the original trilogy and really like both 4 and 5 and excited to see how this trilogy ends. It's also the only one that isn't dead.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
For me the Gears franchise was amazing with the first game and became a little less interesting with each game. I went from loving it, to liking it, to not caring, to hating it and now I'm just back to not caring. This series just isn't for me anymore.
Resistance was good but never reached it's potential. I think a reboot would do very well on PS5. Maybe after Spider-Man that would be something they'd want to do.
Killzone games are well-made but felt forced because PS3 needed an exclusive FPS. Like Gears, I doubt I'll ever play another Killzone tbh.

I'd rank them:
1. Resistance - Of the 3, this is the only one I have any interest in playing going forward.
2. Gears - Good games, but I'm over the series. Hope the studio moves on to new IP eventually.
3. Killzone - We have Horizon now. At this point, Guerrilla is too good for Killzone.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Gears 2 & Resistance 3 can go head to head for best single game of the bunch. But ima go ahead and give it to Gears of War. Gears 1 & 2 are 10/10 games. Shame the series has been drove into the ground. But hey.. tis wat it is.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
Killzone 2 destroys the entire Gears franchise and most shooters but the Gears series as a whole is more consistent.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot express how much Gears has over the other two for me. Gears was one of my favorite series last gen while the other two aren't even in the conversation of shooters I merely liked. Though I will say I never got to play R3 and it looked pretty good, I'd still check out a remaster or PC release of that sometime.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Gears by a MASSIVE margin. Only title in either other franchise that comes close is Resistance 3 and Killzone 2

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Resistance: Fall of Man is legitimately in my top 2 shooters of all time. It never gets any love but I guess I just connected with it for some reason. Wish a remaster would come to PC.

Nov 8, 2017
Gears has my vote. It was actually great and had a good run on the 360. I really tried to give both series a chance but Killzone and Resistance were only ever OK, they were just the best available exclusive shooters on PlayStation. It was like these were the answers to Halo and Gears but neither came anywhere near the bar set. Killzone 2 was an especially huge letdown considering the hype surrounding it.

Most of all it was the gunplay that turned me off. Resistance had interesting guns but the enemies were such bullet sponges. Killzone went for a more "realistic" style but it felt cumbersome to move around and play the game. Gunplay and feel are some of the biggest factors for me (and many others it seems). I think it's very telling that almost nobody talks about either Resistance or Killzone and both series are all but dead. There is almost no interest outside of some PlayStation-only gamers and even for them, Sony thinks there is no point in doing anything with the series (new games or rereleasing old ones).

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears just has classic enemies and the world is incredible. Too bad the writing is shit

resistance wasn't memorable at all, KZ at least was unique

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I can't decide. Gears 1-3 was incredible, Resistance 1/3 were great while 2 stumbled a bit but was still good, and I think KZ2 is the only game worth a damn in that trilogy but it's soooo good.

Stillmatic

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Can't decide.

Killzone 2 is one of my all time favourite shooters, MP was soo good. Didn't think much of K3. The Killzone world is the most interesting of the bunch.

Resistance 3 was fantastic and gave me big Half Life vibes. I enjoyed R1 but R2 was a big letdown though.

Gears is the best franchise out of them due to being more consistently great. Gears 2 was really bad though.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Killzone 2 was fun and I enjoyed Resistance 2 but Gears overall is the better series. There's a reason it's lasted as long as it has

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Haven't played Gears of War but I have played Resistance and Killzone. Killzone 2 was great but overall I preferred the Resistance trilogy the most with Resistance 3 being absolutely incredible. Really sad that they didn't do a remaster trilogy for the PS4. I suppose we can always hope they do something on the PS5.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Resistance 3 campaign takes a dump on anything Gears or Killzone have ever produced.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
Best overall is probably Gears. It has very good story campaigns (although I think that Gears 1 is overrated) that support online and offline coop, it has competitive multiplayer (I don't like) and from Gears 2 onwards the series has the entertaining horde mode.

Resistance and Killzone are both really good series but both feel like missed opportunities.

That said I think Resistance 3 is the best game out of all 3 series.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I cant believe people think Resistance 3's campaign was noteworthy. It's a 6 on a good day.

Gears easily has my vote.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Gears 2 is perhaps one of the most impressive game that i played when it was out. Such a good memory for this game. Really loved all gears ( even 4 and 5 )

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
out of three Resistances and four Killzones, R3 still has the best campaign. I agree that R3 isn't as good as any numbered Gears though (mayyyyybe it's on par with Gears 4)
Yeah, I'll agree with the campaign in Resistance 3 was better than all the Killzones and prior Resistance titles. I'll say it's on par with GoW Judgement.

Some people in here have posted how it's the best FPS campaign around and I just dont know what I missed when I played it.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't vote because I didn't play Gears that much. I trust Era enough that everyone who has voted, has played all three. šŸ§

Resistance 1 with the campaign and multiplayer, was bliss. Also had dedicated servers for up to 40 people duking it out. I think the only game from the 3 choices, correct?

loved Killzone 2 and 3 for campaign and multiplayer.

Resistance 2....well.. it had ALL the features you could ask for... hell 6 player co-op. But the graphics or gameplay just seemed different than part one. I don't know what it was but I didn't like it as much as the others.

Resistance 3.... well I was hoping for a remaster. I owned it but never started it. Heard great things about the single player.. so if I don't hear any rumors about a remaster or PS3 BC with enhancements anytime soon... I'm going to finally start it during dead time.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 1-3 was some of the most consistently good a trilogy has been next to Halo 1-3, Mass Effect 1-3 and Uncharted 1-3.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
KZ2 was the best game, but Gears was the best series.
I loved Resistance 2, but it wasn't on par with KZ/Gears despite a really cool co-op mode.