• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You simply do not know what you are talking about. Again: there are key hardware and software differences, from the completely different EFI implementation to the SMC to the logic board that doesn't even come close to meeting Windows Logo requirements to custom interconnects used for the custom security processor to countless things that you are erasing to make the meaningless argument that 'anything that has an X86 chip in it and can be used for general computing is the same thing as a Windows PC'.
Sorry mate, but you're the one who's confused here.

PCs outside of macs have endless hardware and software differences, the foundation of your argument is flawed from the start.

A Mac is a personal computer. It is a PC.

You have fallen hard for the marketing.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
You simply do not know what you are talking about. Again: there are key hardware and software differences, from the completely different EFI implementation to the SMC to the logic board that doesn't even come close to meeting Windows Logo requirements to custom interconnects used for the custom security processor to countless things that you are erasing to make the meaningless argument that 'anything that has an X86 chip in it and can be used for general computing is the same thing as a Windows PC'.
So you went from Macs arent PCs to Macs arent windows PC

So by your logic, if a PC isnt a Windows one, isnt a PC at all.

Lmao.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Macs are PCs, just not the ones that you like.

Macs are computers. I like Macs. I am using one right now. I only use my PC to play games.

Macs are not IBM PCs. They are not relatives of the IBM PC. They do not descend from the IBM PC. They do not comply with the rules of the road for building an open (Windows) PC. They are their own thing and just happen to use Intel processors. For the moment.

The term PC means something. It refers to what most people think of as the IBM PC. What is being left out is that Microsoft took over leadership of that thing - the IBM PC - post IBM mattering as a company.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Macs are computers. I like Macs. I am using one right now. I only use my PC to play games.

Macs are not IBM PCs. They are not relatives of the IBM PC. They do not descend from the IBM PC. They do not comply with the rules of the road for building an open PC. They are their own thing and just happen to use Intel processors. For the moment.
They're computers but they're not "personal" computers?

It doesn't matter if they're not descended directly from the first PC, they are still PCs outside of marketing spin.

This level of fan spin is fun, but it's outside of reality.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019

Lmao.

The PCs that are not Windows PCs are Chromebooks and Macs, as far as I can think of. There are some edge cases, but by and large the computers that you can buy, that you can build, that people own were built to pass Windows Logo and have embedded software designed to do just that. From your graphics card to your motherboard, the device was designed to run Windows.

A PC being a Windows PC does not mean that it actually runs Windows. Microsoft kind of took over the platform post-IBM and made changes to the platform as they felt appropriate. By sheer force of being the only operating system vendor with a real consumer operating system to run on generic X86 hardware, OEMs did as Microsoft asked. Because the hardware is designed to run Windows, because Microsoft dictates how that hardware is designed, the package is the Windows PC - hardware designed to run Windows.

It is possible to take the Intel X86 platform and make a PC that cannot run Windows. You can ignore the Microsoft guidelines and make something vastly different. And you can buy that in stores today - they are called Chromebooks.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
In any case, I'm glad Microsoft gave up on the horror that was UWP and gave us the choice to not use Windows Store. Seeing that going forward they release every of their stuff on Steam and maybe other platforms is the way to go.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

Macs are not IBM PCs. They are not relatives of the IBM PC. They do not descend from the IBM PC. They do not comply with the rules of the road for building an open PC. They are their own thing and just happen to use Intel processors. For the moment.

Lmao.

Basically.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No, they are personal computers with a marketing spin.

"PC" outside of mac have endless hardware and software differences. The basis of your argument has 0 weight.

That's it.
What a silly thing to argue about. Yeah technically PC could be used to describe a Mac but nobody does so. PC is used to reference a Windows computer.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Forza on steam tho??? I'd be all over that. This sounds kinda crazy lol. Gears 5 on Steam is an easy buy. I'd rather play it on pc than my regular xbox one.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Semantics over wtf is a PC in a Gears 5 Steam announcement thread with the new Death Stranding trailer music playing in the background felt like I glitched out in the matrix, many laughs were had. Thanks.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): drive-by trolling
Funny when this happens in the reverse and steam gets a game EGS doesn't nobody is whining and crying about it. 🤔🤔🤔

Yet everyone claims this is all about "choice" and not some incredibly dumb allegiance to steam.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope! Not sarcastic. I think it's important for Microsoft to build up the Windows Store and shipping on Steam hurts that effort.
If they sell things outside of the windows store why is it important to build up the windows store? Especially at the expense of more software sales and being able to boast about "consumer choice"?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Funny when this happens in the reverse and steam gets a game EGS doesn't nobody is whining and crying about it. 🤔🤔🤔

Yet everyone claims this is all about "choice" and not some incredibly dumb allegiance to steam.
My "allegiance" to steam is not "dumb", certainly. The platform has tonnes of great features and is the most painless to use launcher of all of them.

The Steam Vs EGS debate is a valid one. EGS strong arming their way in instead of earning it via great support and features is really lame.

Oct 27, 2017
I hate Macs now thanks guys
GOOD.

Well, you can still buy Gears 5 on the Windows Store AND Steam now. Plus, Valve didnt pay Microsoft to get Gears 5 (that we know of, but it is extremely unlikely). Microsoft is more than welcome to put Gears 5 on the EGS if they wish.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

If Valve are paying Microsoft to keep the game off EGS and also subsequently come out with nonsense that they're doing it for the customer's sake, then it it will be the reverse

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I didn't realize Steam was the only store to purchase Gears 5 on PC because Valve paid for a period of exclusivity for it 🤔🤔🤔

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

Perhaps it's because Steam is much better in a huge number of tangible, factual aspects? And therefore people enjoy using it?
Or perhaps it's because in this case no one is being paid specifically to keep the game off competing platforms?

No, surely it must be "some incredibly dumb allegiance". Users simply preferring the superior platform is impossible.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't really partner with steam as Gabe already said. They just did the same process anyone else has done on steam to submit a game.
I meant partner as in publish the game there. The main idea is the same: their main reason to publish games in Steam is to improve their image with PC gamers, an audience they have failed to attract due to previous MAJOR gafes.

Sorry for not being clear enough at first.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Gears was the ONLY Xbox exclusive title I'd have put on my list. Knowing I can get it without dealing with their store on the PC is amazing.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Well damn. I'll definitely buy on Steam if this releases after my Game Pass expires, which I think it does.

Get out of here with this bullshit.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
You said "we hardly knew you", insinuating UWP is gone/dead. That's just not true. https://www.onmsft.com/news/build-2...g-uwp-apps-and-the-windows-10-microsoft-store
Ok...cool I guess. I think we've established that I am coming to this from the perspective of a PC player. I don't know why you are bringing up this stuff. As far as games go, UWP is pretty much over. I don't care if somebody, somewhere is technically still using the UWP format.

Nov 14, 2017
Surprised the put one of their flagship titles on steam. Halo collection was older games, this is the next gears.

It makes sense though if you want PC gamers to play it. Keep the multiplayer separate. Though be very hard to do the gears unique movement with the keyboard and mouse.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still going to buy them on the microsoft store thanks to crossbuy, but is great that these games are going to appear on steam, that way they will have a healtier playerbase

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

You must've missed this part:

". We also know that there are other stores on PC, and we are working to enable more choice in which store you can find our Xbox Game Studios titles in the future. "

Now tell me, what else it could be than EGS? GoG doesn't accept games with DRM, so that's out.

Why would anyone cry about if they're working on it?

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft supports Steam with older titles that were previously released on the windows store, do you think they will provide a steam key for people who bought it at the windows store?

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite surely will follow suit too. At least even MS knows that UWP is shitty and is giving us other options.

Vakuf

Oct 25, 2017
81PdIfQ.gif

So good.

Gears on steam is hype!

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
still have some lingering questions.

- does this support cross-buy across all three platforms?
- does this support cross-progression?
- will we still be able to use the Xbox App on PC with the Steam version and get the same party/invite features?
- will cross-play be enabled in the Steam version also or will it be limited to Steam only users?