• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lol Steam gets Gears 5 instead of Epic, how ironic.
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ferikkain%2Ffiles%2F2012%2F07%2FGabe-Newell-3.jpg

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Aren't they saying there's 20 games already and they're adding more, not that they're adding 20?

Correct, but they are doing Steam (Win32) builds of previously released Windows Store/UWP titles. Age of Empires 1: DE is the only one announced so far, but others are coming.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
My chances of purchasing Gears 5 go way up with this announcement. Reminds me that I need to play Gears 4 at some point soon.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The bigger the the userbase the bigger the revenue becomes the more they can reinvest into the platform as a whole.

This is a win win for everyone.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Literally the only way this is true is if the game has original Dark Souls quality keyboard and mouse support.

It's incredibly difficult and counter-intuitive to do any of the advanced movement mechanics on a KB/M setup.

Ah I don't think so. Movement is maybe a bit harder to learn on M/K but in the end of the day you still just need to click on heads. For example, the sniper was pretty OP in Gears 4.

Power weapon contesting involves being proficient with the Gnasher though to start with

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I wish MS would put out either a totally gamer centric version of windows .. get rid of all the uneeded back ground services, and they created a standard front end for it that all stores can tap into. also put out their own steamlink.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I wish MS would put out either a totally gamer centric version of windows .. get rid of all the uneeded back ground services, and they created a standard front end for it that all stores can tap into. also put out their own steamlink.

The 'unneeded background services' do not actually exist, that is just perception among certain semi-technical types. Microsoft offers stripped down SKUs of Windows for large enterprise, for POS devices and the like. They do not perform meaningfully different, they just take up less disk space.

A federated game launcher/installer/updater is a great idea, but not one I see Valve ever supporting. Epic would be on board, but who else?

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Pretty cool, but I assume it won't have cross-buy/save on Steam? Because that's the big selling point for me as an owner of both platforms.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Pretty cool, but I assume it won't have cross-buy/save on Steam? Because that's the big selling point for me as an owner of both platforms.

Cross buy is complicated when you are giving a chunk of the sale away to a third party, but it could be done if Microsoft were willing to do license assignment to the first-used Xbox LIve account with that specific game. Without Valve adding new functionality to Steam, that is the best they can do. I doubt they will do so, they have not done so thus far.

True save sync is coming to the Win32 Xbox Live feature set, but it's not here today. It may arrive in time for it not to be missing from upcoming Steam MGS releases.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Cowardly move from Microsoft. This is not how you retake control of your platform.

Windows Store isn't the platform for them. Xbox/Xbox live is. With Xcloud coming out and their Game pass push the steam releases are almost irrelevant for them. Console owners are going to buy it from MS , PC gamers who wouldn't have touched the game because of MS store will get it on Steam or will sign up for Gamepass. So the games sell more overall which is great for MS.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Windows Store isn't the platform for them. Xbox/Xbox live is. With Xcloud coming out and their Game pass push the steam releases are almost irrelevant for them. Console owners are going to buy it from MS , PC gamers who wouldn't have touched the game because of MS store will get it on Steam or will sign up for Gamepass. So the games sell more overall which is great for MS.

The PC is a Microsoft platform, that was the platform I was referring to. I see the logic in this leading to increased sales, but I also am concerned about how it enables a consumer to end up with no Xbox license for a title just on account of buying said title from the wrong store. That messes with the console side of things in the event that the consumer buys an Xbox at some point.

And they will continue to be there when you allow them to be. Shipping your titles on Steam gives license to people to exist there forever, to not look outside the store for those titles.

Microsoft is a platform holder. The PC is one of those platforms. Giving 30% to Valve is beneath them, and I am saddened they made the decision to do so.
Bro are you a shareholder of Microsoft?

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
wait what?
if death stranding also comes to pc i'm gonna scream

gears of war 5 coming to steam is a megaton news for me, love how valve and microsoft are officially bros now

Its not confirmed. That poster is speculating.

I still think this move from MS is not ideal and they should have worked on just improving their store but happy for steam owners.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
And they will continue to be there when you allow them to be. Shipping your titles on Steam gives license to people to exist there forever, to not look outside the store for those titles.

Until someone actually gives them a reason, why should they?

People love to say "let the market decide", but it's a real problem when the market does just that.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Until someone actually gives them a reason, why should they?

People love to say "let the market decide", but it's a real problem when the market does just that.

Right, I don't blame anyone for staying inside Steam, I blame Microsoft for allowing that.

I don't say pro-capitalist stuff like 'let the market decide'.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Very happy about this

Its not that I'm against any other platform against, steam as I enjoy origin, epic, and I play even. Its just windows store literally doesn't work for me. The interface and download speed is horrendous

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's really odd to me that Microsoft is becoming a platform-agnostic publisher, with very little worth publishing.

I suppose that changes in the future, with their recent purchases.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's completely new to me and I'm incredibly curious on what makes you of anyone else would say that.
Me of anyone else? I'm a little unsure what you mean...

Third person shooters are known to control well with a gamepad, to the point many players on PC prefer to. Just like Gears.

Been a thing for as as long as I can remember, certainly not a new thing.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
It's incredibly difficult and counter-intuitive to do any of the advanced movement mechanics on a KB/M setup.

Power weapon contesting involves being proficient with the Gnasher though to start with
I don't really see how movement is more difficult on M/K than on controllers. The only real difference I see is that console players have had over a decade of experience while PC players needed to learn from scratch. We never saw how high the skill ceiling was on PC because Gears 4 MP was dead pretty fast.

For competitive play the PC will be the preferred platform anyway regardless of input method due to high refresh rates and the ability to customize everything.

Third person shooters are known to control well with a gamepad, to the point many players on PC prefer to. Just like Gears.

They can definitely be more fun with a controller I agree but we were arguing about proficiency.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Must be a typo, surely the meant epic game store.
I'm guessing Microsoft is probably way more interested in that customer reach rather than a "bigger share of the pie." I don't see how there's any reason at all for them to put it on Epic, when they already have their own store.

I play Gears 4 on PC with an elite controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right hand.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Anything with free aiming is generally more accurate with mouse and keyboard. People just use gamepad for convenience.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm guessing Microsoft is probably way more interested in that customer reach rather than a "bigger share of the pie." I don't see how there's any reason at all for them to put it on Epic, when they already have their own store.

They'll want the Fortnite crowd to play Halo.

(and some will, after Ninja religiously streams it)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They can definitely be more fun with a controller I agree but we were arguing about proficiency.
Third person games using a gmepad has been a thing forever. They just feel better than M&KB a lot of the time, even if the latter would still be more precise. The weight of controlling a body instead of a camera feels really good on game pad. It just lends itself better to analog control.

ALL my PC friends have a gamepad too, TPS is one of the main reasons. Loads of peopel in our TD2 clan use a pad instead of KB&M, for example, but use the latter for FPS.

Anything with free aiming is generally more accurate with mouse and keyboard. People just use gamepad for convenience.

Not just about aiming with a TPS, it's about the camera angle. This is not a hidden thing, just ask in the PC thread if you want. Using a gamepad for TPS has been a thing on PC forever, and while that's obviously not going to be everyone it is a pretty common thing.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah, that's too high for a platform holder. I get why Microsoft is doing this and I understand that it is largely temporary; xCloud and a thing that will be announced at E3 but has not leaked yet will rule the day long term, but I still think shipping on Steam trains the consumer that Steam is a place to buy Microsoft titles long term, and I don't think it *should be*.

Unless Valve adds a way for Microsoft to assign Xbox licenses for those titles (Play Anywhere) and for Microsoft to offer PC Game Pass via Steam. Otherwise MS is chopping off parts of their offering, making it possible to for future Xbox customers to buy the wrong SKU of a game. Blah.

I guess they understand where Steam is coming from with the 20% if anything as they have to host a lot of stuff for them. Which Microsoft already does so I can see that them not caring about the cut is because they know why their doing it.

I don't think tho they are reinforcing that notion that Steam is the only place to play games, since it's coming on MS Store and their making changes that can already be seen to it.

I think their plan is to have everyone use an Xbox account so no matter where you are you're always gonna be connect to everyone on the Xbox network. So possibly Linking your Steam account to your Xbox Live account to let you buy gamepass or something along those lines can be entirely possible.

They'll want the Fortnite crowd to play Halo.

(and some will, after Ninja religiously streams it)

With Ninja being a former pro this is most definitely going to happen