• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I get that you need to monetize somehow to keep the servers and staffing up, but this is a fucking first party game. I already pay for online services and servers via XBL, where does that money go?

As it has been stated several times already the revenue from these skins is funding the DLC which is going to be free for every player.

It's mind boggling some of you would prefer to pay for map packs that would inevitably fracture the community.
I saw that shit drastically reduce the online population of playlists in Halo 3 and Reach; i can deal with players running around with neon colored weapons if it means the game will have a healthier online population in the long run.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The "only cosmetic" call is always one of the worst.

"Only cosmetic" microtransactions is what led to the current AAA mess of lootboxes and premium currency.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
How does change MS first party games initially offering post launch maps for free without any mtx/loot box/map pack purchases?
I guess I misread your post I thought you said that this started with Gears of War 1.
I guess without numbers I find your statement meaningless? How much stuff did Halo add post launch does it compare to Gears 4?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
If there is no randomized element to the paid-for microtransactions, then the microtransactions themselves are OK. They are not disingenuous or exploitative.

You can make the argument of whether or not the game includes enough content for its initial purchase price but that's another argument entirely.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the purchasable skins are way too expensive and you don't get nearly enough iron from playing.
The season also doesn't have anywhere near enough characters and skins, multiplayer feels weird having such a tiny selection.

Oct 26, 2017
Personally, as long as I am able to buy the shit Devs try to peddle directly and have no gambling bs involved, then its fine for me. Shit costs money and unless you gain any competitive advantage I am fine with being fleeced for pure vanity.

Now of course there are caveats and a lot of the rotational BS can fuck off into the sun. Helps when Devs aren't too overtly trying to treat their customers like fucking cattle. Rare enough these days.

Nov 1, 2017
I have been happily playing Gears 5 without spending a penny because it is all cosmetic stuff. If they sold actual gameplay advantages then maybe you would have a point. It's very simple: The vast majority of people can play the game without needing to give a single solitary shit about any of the microtransactions that "need to be addressed" and those people/whales with more money than sense can spend to their hearts content which happens to support the developer. If you have a problem with the prices then take it up with Epic. They're the one's who have established these kind of prices for skins and useless tat with Fortnite. Put it this way: If game developer A (i.e. The Coalition) sees a whole bunch of idiots spending vast amounts of money on pointless shit that game developer B (Epic) puts out, why the fuck wouldn't they want to try and get a piece of the action? Meanwhile everyone seems to give Fortnite a free pass while they are making threads about how Microsoft apparently is the one responsible for ruining modern gaming. Fuck off with that nonsense.

I play Smite, a FTP game a fair bit. I used to spend a decent amount on various neat skins because they were reasonably priced and i felt like i was getting my money's worth with the amount of time i play that game. Then they started hiking the prices up to match that Fortnite bollocks and i stopped spending any money on the game. I am guessing they have enough whales to make it worthwhile, the rest of the players that have a problem with it can vote with their wallets.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
What is your point here? You are talking about how MSFT released maps/modes for free and I'm asking how they compare with the modern games.
Point is there was a time that games were shipped fully formed, or had free additions without scamming consumers with MTX/loot boxs/map packs.

Even the Doom reboot decided to just give it's multiplayer dlc away for free in 2017. There's nothing forcing publishers to nickle and dime their customers other (ontop of a fully priced game) than greed.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Nothing is pay to win, all maps and characters are free. No season pass to split the player base. I'm 100% fine with it.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I hate micro transactions with a passion. But I paid £3.99 for 3 months of gamepass covering Gears 5 and Outer Worlds. It saved me £96 not needing to buy them.

I think I'm ok with these high micro transaction prices.

Oct 25, 2017
I have been happily playing Gears 5 without spending a penny because it is all cosmetic stuff. If they sold actual gameplay advantages then maybe you would have a point. It's very simple: The vast majority of people can play the game without needing to give a single solitary shit about any of the microtransactions that "need to be addressed" and those people/whales with more money than sense can spend to their hearts content which happens to support the developer. If you have a problem with the prices then take it up with Epic. They're the one's who have established these kind of prices for skins and useless tat with Fortnite. Put it this way: If game developer A (i.e. The Coalition) sees a whole bunch of idiots spending vast amounts of money on pointless shit that game developer B (Epic) puts out, why the fuck wouldn't they want to try and get a piece of the action? Meanwhile everyone seems to give Fortnite a free pass while they are making threads about how Microsoft apparently is the one responsible for ruining modern gaming. Fuck off with that nonsense.

I play Smite, a FTP game a fair bit. I used to spend a decent amount on various neat skins because they were reasonably priced and i felt like i was getting my money's worth with the amount of time i play that game. Then they started hiking the prices up to match that Fortnite bollocks and i stopped spending any money on the game. I am guessing they have enough whales to make it worthwhile, the rest of the players that have a problem with it can vote with their wallets.

Fortnite is free tbf

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Point is there was a time that games were shipped fully formed, or had free additions without scamming consumers with MTX/loot boxs/map packs.

Even the Doom reboot decided to just give it's multiplayer dlc away for free in 2017. There's nothing forcing publishers to nickle and dime their customers other (ontop of a fully priced game) than greed.

They also didn't have continuous content added over multiple years(or that you haven't shown yet).

Do you want Microsoft to release all the DLC for Gears 5 for free when it's dead, cause that's what Doom did, it was a last ditch effort so I'm not sure how it's really something that matters to the topic?

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Also should be noted no loot boxes, literally if you find one skin in particular you like you can buy it and be done. What you see is what you get and it never edfects gameplay and all maps and characters are free. I literally wish this was the model for all games.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It was also a time where games cost less and released in a state where day 1 patches didn't exist, yet here we are.
Games changed, development changed, costs rose, monetization is a thing.
The other thing that seems to be symptomatic is the perspective that customers cannot decide on their own whether they spend money on something or not. I mean, what? We are grown up people (mostly at least) so we can decide whether something is worth spending money and if one thinks that *costumes* or *skins* are too expensive in a game, just don't buy it, ffs.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is an area of Gamepass that makes me uncomfortable. The base value of it is incredible, but when a traditional £50 game is now available for £1, they have to make the money up elsewhere. Now throw in all the other games thrown in for 'free' and it's a race for MTX.

My personal opinion is that all skins should be unlockable in game without the need for topping up a currency. I'd also make it law that all MTX are displayed in local currency and that there should be a counter on the main screen on the game with the total real money spent in MTX.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
There's no need for microtransactions in a full price game. Just because lots of people got it through game pass doesn't change the fact that it's being sold for a lot more elsewhere.

People are so used to this crap at this point that they're actually thankful it's not loot boxes. Making the argument that Microsoft needs the money is just plain sad.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Theres expensive items all over the world targeting various things...if I want something I buy it. If I cant afford I dont.

Most people are chanting how they got the game for a dollar. A cosmetic could cost 100 dollars imo. Let a millionaire buy it.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
They also didn't have continuous content added over multiple years(or that you haven't shown yet).

Do you want Microsoft to release all the DLC for Gears 5 for free when it's dead, cause that's what Doom did, it was a last ditch effort so I'm not sure how it's really something that matters to the topic?
I want games to stop charging full price then having in place monetisation schemes especially when MS/Sony/Nintendo now charge for online play.

And no I don't bealive this sort of monetisation is to cover costs, it's pure profit seeking.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd delete MTXs from every game if possible but that isn't the reality we live in. Games having cosmetic MTXs means it's pretty damn optional, so there's not a lot to be addressed.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea how people actually want companies to fund game updates that are now expected.

Cosmetics that are individually purchasable and not in lot boxes are the best way. It's also fuck all to do with gamepass.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I want games to stop charging full price then having in place monetisation schemes especially when MS/Sony/Nintendo now charge for online play.

And no I don't bealive this sort of monetisation is to cover costs, it's pure profit seeking.
I mean it's both to cover costs and profit, you still haven't shown any game that was able to comparable content for free.

I agree that Gold is a relic and should be removed.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
I mean it's both to cover costs and profit, you still haven't shown any game that was able to comparable content for free.

I agree that Gold is a relic and should be removed.
What's the comparable content that you're arguing for, It's not part of my point so I feel no need to argue for a case I've not made.

But hey look at splatoon 2 and it's what 15 additional maps? Or don't as mtx are not for consumer's benefit.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
As it has been stated several times already the revenue from these skins is funding the DLC which is going to be free for every player.

It's mind boggling some of you would prefer to pay for map packs that would inevitably fracture the community.
I saw that shit drastically reduce the online population of playlists in Halo 3 and Reach; i can deal with players running around with neon colored weapons if it means the game will have a healthier online population in the long run.
If they're funding the DLC and maps then they're not "optional" are they? Someone HAS TO buy them, someone with less impulse control, for you and others to have free maps and modes. They're either mandatory for future content, or they're "optional" and does nothing beyond flaunting your character. You can't have it both ways.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
It charged for four of those at first I already posted this. Did you want that mode of receiving content updates?
It started with dropping 2 for free, after a argument with MS Epic then charged for 4 maps for 4 months(?) then gave them for free. Ergo Epic literally gave maps away for free.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Just don't buy them.

These items exist for people who want them and are not necessary to enjoy the game. I know this isnt a groundbreaking realization but it really is that simple.

How dare you release something that I cannot afford yet I don't need?! Monster!

Prices can always be lower but yeah, winning about cosmetic prices in games is like winning about why I cannot buy a Tous necklace or a Gucci purse IRL.

(I hate microtransactions too, don't get me wrong. It's just that if they don't affect gameplay I don't see a reason to be upset)

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah 2 maps for free that turn to 6 maps for free is a better deal for the consumer base, than obfuscating for a profit driven mtx scheme.
You can't say the 4 maps were for free, people paid for them, other consumers covered that cost just like with cosmetics.If you like that model that's fine but others like getting the maps day 1 with no cost.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I get that you need to monetize somehow to keep the servers and staffing up, but this is a fucking first party game. I already pay for online services and servers via XBL, where does that money go?

The money goes to keeping Xbox live running and to provide Games with Gold to subscribers.

I'm not sure why you think because a game is first party, it doesn't have to be financially viable.

Feb 26, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility and Inflammatory Generalizations; Prior Infractions for Similar Behavior
Judging by the amount of corporate bootlickers in this thread its perfectly clear why companies will keep adding this bullshit to their games

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Other than prices being a bit high and the cosmetics themselves not being fantastic I think the system is absolutely fine. There's no pay to win mechanics, no loot boxes and the store is never rammed down your throat.

Maybe I'm the dinosaur here but I really have no idea why any post launch content should be expected for free. There are presumaly plenty of costs involved in multi year support for a game to justify some cosmetic skins.

I do not want to go back to segregated communities due to map packs and season passes.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
The first page is littered with its completely optional as it's only cosmetics excuse. Is this is because it's their new favourite game? Where are these posters in every other aaa game that has mtx.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft has always been terrible with this. I never bought into this crap and even skipped Forza 5 when they slowed down game progression and started including the car tokens. Iirc the formula 1 car was like over a 100 Euros at that time. I also got a refund for Forza 7 when they changed the VIP benefits to consumables.

They changed both because of all the complaints.

People rave about Horizon 4 but the game annoys me with the prize wheels. If the next games include something like that they can fuck off for all I care.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
You can't say the 4 maps were for free, people paid for them, other consumers covered that cost just like with cosmetics.If you like that model that's fine but others like getting the maps day 1 with no cost.
Yeah I can say they were free as after four month's they were free for all users. Again I don't like the "current" model of various forms of micro transactions that are about squeezing profit out of user base that has already paid for the game.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Honestly I couldnt care less due to the fact that it doesn't effect game play.

As long as there isnt any competitive advantage and is purely cosmetic, Im fine with the mtx being $10,$100, $1000.