• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand modern game developers these days on the stuff they choose to censor, take out, ect.

Like, why single out smoking in a game that's more than likely intended for mature audiences?
This is going to need to get posted five times per page

poor, poor bullied smoking in video games
what did it ever do to anybody just leave it alone!

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
User Banned (3 days): trolling
This is going to need to get posted five times per page

poor, poor bullied smoking in video games
what did it ever do to anybody just leave it alone!

Does he also know anyone that's been shot and it affected him? If so, maybe he should remove the depiction of guns in the game too.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is the dumbest goddamn whataboutism thread I've seen in a long time

Gears: We're taking out smoking entirely, something that wasn't really in Gears anyways
Gamers, who for some reason really care about smoking now: BUT WHAT ABOUT GUNS AND VIOLENCE
Me: Do you own a chainsaw shotgun or a rocket launcher that shoots aliens

Daft as fuck

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Does he also know anyone that's been shot and it affected him? If so, maybe he should remove the depiction of guns in the game too.
They should take all the straw men and slippery slopes out of gears of war too.
they're pretty tiresome and I'm sure the artists are sick of modeling, rigging and animating them.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

Gears: We're taking out smoking entirely, something that wasn't really in Gears anyways
Gamers, who for some reason really care about smoking now: BUT WHAT ABOUT GUNS AND VIOLENCE

Daft as fuck

Don't you know? Kids/youth are just as likely to chainsaw people in half as they are to try a cigarette.

Liam

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of it is getting lost in the sauce so to speak. I Guess I didn't think a studio comprised of some of the best in the industry working with an ip gamers hold near and dear were subject to the whims of some outside organization. People seem to be fixated on the smoking aspect, while to me that's beside the point. If you read the article it spells out that some outside organization mandated the change and it's that point, specifically, that I find alarming. I don't doubt that Rod was affected by smoking. I live in the UK where cancer affects 1 in 3 people. But the IP has included smoking since it's debut in 2006. With the change coming after their Eleague plans were threatened.

But I think that the ip means too much to some and so, any negative, is seen as a negative directed at the ip, here on era.

Outside of era the conversation the conversation about this topic is vastly different. At least with every XBOX gaming personality across the various social media platforms. But hey...
gears of war has NOT included smoking since it's debut in 2006, only in gears 3 dlc shadow of ram with one the character named barrick, there wasn't even smoking in gears 4... why are you lying? did you even played the games? and rod already said that smoking wasn't censored because it wasn't there in the first place because of personal reasons, but you believe otherwise...

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't think smoking was ever that noticeable in the game to begin with where it could have any sort of impact on the youth. People acting like it was like this
gow.jpg

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
gears of war has NOT included smoking since it's debut in 2006, only in gears 3 dlc shadow of ram with one the character named barrick, there wasn't even smoking in gears 4... why are you lying? did you even played the games? and rod already said that smoking wasn't censored because it wasn't there in the first place because of personal reasons, but you believe otherwise...

I'm pretty sure there was a line in one of the books that said cigarettes were pretty much all lost/extinct in Sera as well.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
If only they did this silently and evaded the huff puff. This pr stunt and weak sauce marketing has blown back in their faces.

The fact they highlighted they will remove all depictions of smoking has backfired. It is a solid stance, but they shouldn't have glorified the anti smoke stance.

Further more Campaign gameplay still up in smoke??? I didn't want to comment in this thread again, but I saw other news sites reporting about this whole debacle as well. This is going a bit viral.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Killing someone with a chainsaw is a mostly fantasy thing. You can do it, yeah, but it's not something you can emulate nearly as easy as you can just go to the supermarket and get some cigarettes.

Look Im not condoning smoking or anything, my comment was just making fun of how we treat violence in this country compared to things like sex and smoking. Its crazy to me that we have normalized violence so much but things like smoking are way too taboo to be on TV or in games.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Teens of today have already made up their minds and what with the negative vibe smoking has now combined with the pricing, kids aren't ready to put almost 2hrs pay into a pack of cigs.

Anyway, vapes are cooler and smell nicer.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If only they did this silently and evaded the huff puff. This pr stunt and weak sauce marketing has blown back in their faces.

The fact they highlighted they will remove all depictions of smoking has backfired. It is a solid stance, but they shouldn't have glorified the anti smoke stance.

Further more Campaign gameplay still up in smoke??? I didn't want to comment in this thread again, but I saw other news sites reporting about this whole debacle as well. This is going a bit viral.
They didnt remove anything.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
They didnt remove anything.
Then what in the world is all this drama about?? Why did this nonsense come to light.

How did it come to surface. They did make a public statement no? They didn't remove anything, but want +pr points.

Like I said the Marketing for Gears 5 is embarrassing. They are kinda following in EA's footsteps.

I quit smoking myself, but won't judge other smokers even though I wished my dear ones would quit. It is their choice.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Daft as fuck

Yeah, gonna have cosign this.

The responses to the story is a terrible look for the gaming side.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Teens of today have already made up their minds and what with the negative vibe smoking has now combined with the pricing, kids aren't ready to put almost 2hrs pay into a pack of cigs.

Anyway, vapes are cooler and smell nicer.

Number of people who smoke is slowly going down, but teens/young adults still make up a significant number of smokers.

I'm too lazy to look up European and Asian/SE Asian country stats.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Cigarettes are everywhere.

They're at virtually every convenience store.

I've had to sell cigarettes/chewing tobacco to a mom or dad who were obviously going to give it straight to their teenager.

They were easy to steal from your parents, I did it on multiple occasions and thankfully it never stuck.

There were usually people smoking in the school bathrooms.

Any party you went usually had a group of people smoking.

Grew up in the south, chewing tobacco is like candy to the boys in those schools. And some teachers/principals did not give a shit.

Vaping had not caught on yet when I was a teenager, but I can't imagine the problems that causes now.

Tobacco portrayal in video games needs to be toned back or at least carefully thought out. Never should a game actually portray tobacco use as cool and those stupid messages in MGS games and DMC5 don't solve the issue.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Cigarettes are everywhere.

They're at virtually every convenience store.

I've had to sell cigarettes/chewing tobacco to a mom or dad who were obviously going to give it straight to their teenager.

They were easy to steal from your parents, I did it on multiple occasions and thankfully it never stuck.

There were usually people smoking in the school bathrooms.

Any party you went usually had a group of people smoking.

Grew up in the south, chewing tobacco is like candy to the boys in those schools. And some teachers/principals did not give a shit.

Vaping had not caught on yet when I was a teenager, but I can't imagine the problems that causes now.

Tobacco portrayal in video games needs to be toned back or at least carefully thought out. Never should a game actually portray tobacco use as cool and those stupid messages in MGS games and DMC5 don't solve the issue.
For mgs4 they put an a placement while the game was downloading talking about the harms of smoking. To me its never been pushed as a cool thing, more of just a habit.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Held my mom's hand as she died from lung cancer. Take the glorification of smoking out of everything.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
In other news the Oasis classic Cigarette's and Alcohol will be renamed Cinnamon and Aloe Vera.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Arthur Morgan died mutiple times on my RDR2 playthrough. Guess which one affected me most?

You want to talk about the prevalence of guns in gaming? Sure go ahead.

But when I read that something as readily available and affordable as smoking tobacco, whose impact often results in a prolonged and undignified death for the user, gets its exposure in a videogame lessened because of creators actions, then I can't help but be pleased.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Why are people angry at this?! Smoking is a REALLY dumb thing to do to your body and most of the time affects other people too. We need MORE companies pushing against smoking.
Some of you guys need to spend more time with people with lung cancer.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Why are people angry at this?! Smoking is a REALLY dumb thing to do to your body and most of the time affects other people too. We need MORE companies pushing against smoking.

Or around anyone with rotting yellow teeth and a persistent terrible smell. Even the small, mundane things with smoking suck.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One question for people saying it was mandated to Rod from higher up .

He was the studio head during gears 4 .correct ? Did gears 4 have any smoking scene ? I would imagine no since he is so against it .so when something isn't even there how r u gonna miss it ?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Smoking fucking sucks, thats a fact.

I mean we totally don't have a violence problem
See the USA, then see the rest of the world, then see how nearly everywhere on earth has videogames, then look for school schootings around the world and gun violence on streets info. Then report back your findings.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I think that people in this thread downplaying issue of media making urge to smoke after quitting, far harder. To be honest I do not have this issue, but I have new liver from excessive drinking. Any sort of depiction of drinking, make me want to stick a bottle down my throat. So I guess that it's similar when you wreck your lungs by smoking, you no longer can, but sure as hell want.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
But it will have big ass guns tho...
All kidding aside, if its a teen rated game i am fine with them doing this.
No need to promote smoking to teens.

Yaqoub

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kuwait
As a past smoker now clean for 6 years I am all for this. Even if I still smoked I would find this to be a great move. This should NOT be controversial at all.

It's not like I'd be bothered from seeing a game with a character smoking in it, doesn't bother me at all. If they do choose to remove it as a way to send a message (in this case a good one; smoking fucking kills, no doubt) then I'm all for it. Characters can do whatever the hell they want given that they are included in a game that is targeting an audience who can differentiate between right and wrong and know what's good for them. That's why we have several rating systems to take care of shit like that.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Daft as fuck
If only you were still a mod, you could've brought the ban hammer.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
What's up with the tobacco lobby on resetera?

'Developer decides to not have smoking in a game because he doesn't like smoking''

''BUT IT'S M-RATED!! I WANT MUH SMOKING!''

Like.. why? Why depict smoking in interactive media when it's not part of the story in any way? Why depict it in a fantasy world? Why do so many people react so strongly to this?
I don't know, but you are one of the people reacting strongly to this.

The Hiveking

Oct 27, 2017
Having a character smoking in a work of fiction doesn't mean that you endorse smoking in real life.