• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Took me a while but really liking what they are trying with Arcade.

It's gears for people who struggle with the shottys.

Has a very different feel and flow, I'm enjoying it.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Im baffled.....don't know where to start.

Controls tanky? It is and always has been the greatest controlling 3rd person shooter!

Gears controls like Gears. While I'm loving and looking forward to Gears 5.

There are other 'loose but responsive' 3rd person shooters that control better. I can think of one that no game has really touched but let's keep this thread on topic.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Game runs really smooth, and while the controls are snappier than they used to be, they're still too tanky for a competitive multiplayer. The weapon balance is also all over the place. I don't see myself playing this game's multiplayer a lot, it works but it really isn't a whole lot of fun with how inconsistent and tanky it still is. Them trying to push this as an eSport is... interesting.
There is nothing "Tanky" about gears MP honestly. Movement has always been about chaining slide transitions from cover to cover. Gears ranked mode as always been pure sweat, and nobody is moving "slow" or tanky in fights.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Game runs really smooth, and while the controls are snappier than they used to be, they're still too tanky for a competitive multiplayer. The weapon balance is also all over the place. I don't see myself playing this game's multiplayer a lot, it works but it really isn't a whole lot of fun with how inconsistent and tanky it still is. Them trying to push this as an eSport is... interesting.

Tanky?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So did they take out the target framerate/dynamic resolution feature? That sucks if so. I used that in Gears 4 to easily hit 144fps without micromanaging settings and resolutions.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Does Arcade mode have less health than the other modes? Its less than previous games right? The emphasis of non-shotguns might be messing with my mind though? Seems like downing someone is wayyy easier in Arcade

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Hit Level 20 today and I love what they did with the MP, especially Arcade. On the one side that mode is more casual but it`s also surprisingly strategic, team play is pretty important because you can`t just gnash your way through. Then again it can be a chaotic spectacle at times when people pull out the big guns, lol.
Besides that, I really enjoy Lancer-gunplay, feels like the first Gears-game I actually aim at the head, thank The Coalition for the hitmarkers, recoil and audible feedback!

Only negatives for me, so far: when DBNO and crawling, I always get stuck in an invisible wall. And I don`t like the pre-match-screen, characters look so static compared to that screen in Gears 4.

Oct 19, 2018
And I don`t like the pre-match-screen, characters look so static compared to that screen in Gears 4.
This is one of my few complaints too, in addition to the match mvp screen. I wish they had like a bunch of different options akin to how MK11 handles it. There could just be a bit more to the presentation to make more lively.

Gameplay wise I'm really liking it so far. The gnasher feels fabulous, and the new reticles and recoil aren't bothering me at all like I thought they might.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Just tried the game on PC after Xbox...nicely optimized (crackdown looks worse on my pc than gears 5). I haven't tried kb/m yet though. I'm sure that's why elenarie is getting all those headshots LOL (jk). Headshots are so satisfying.

Mouse and keyboard, of course. :p

I know a friend of mine had 2 people on one console in my squad last night, the second person registered as 0 ping.

Notice the names of those players. If they are something generic, they are bots. :)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I'm assuming people are still having trouble matchmaking for Arcade on XB1? Cause I'm either tossed from a server or it crashes to dashboard.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Took me a while but really liking what they are trying with Arcade.

It's gears for people who struggle with the shottys.

Has a very different feel and flow, I'm enjoying it.

This, one thousand percent. (You stole the lead to the article that I'm working on, jerkwad. ;) ) I look forward to the Coaliition tweaking the math of which characters start with which weapons/perks, or whether they add custom loadouts, but I'm already entranced.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just tried the game on PC after Xbox...nicely optimized (crackdown looks worse on my pc than gears 5). I haven't tried kb/m yet though. I'm sure that's why elenarie is getting all those headshots LOL (jk). Headshots are so satisfying.

I find KB+M as an interesting alternative to gamepad, not necessarily superior. The roadie run in particular has a different feeling on KB+M, more awkward, which I think is a solid tradeoff for the other obvious perks of mouse aim.

Jan 13, 2018
Tried going in with a Squad yesterday. Got kicked out of Arcade, for too many in Squad. It didn't specify max, but I'd assume two (same as GoW4 Quickplay). Reduced Squad to myself & one other. Different errors, but still couldn't get into Arcade. Could not get into KoTH or Escalation at all, no matter Squad count.

Dropped Squad and went solo. Was still never able to access KoTH or Escalation. Managed to get three rounds of Arcade in (in between many boots back to the menu). I was also re-launching the game (as recommended in News) if the game seemed to get stuck in Creating Game.

So in the 3 games I got in (in 90 minutes) : (The tutorial Boot Camp is pretty solid for new players, I thought, btw)

Arcade (Friday):
  • I love that the game is trying to make non-Gnasher weapons viable in PvP.
  • Some non-sniping weapons seem to have crazy headshot bonuses
  • TTK seems really short, even without headshot bonuses
  • That Swarm Hammer has a much larger impact (?) box than the actual graphic for it.
  • Wall-bouncing is nowhere near as crippled as I'd heard it rumoured.
Things I'm kinda confused by:
  • I bought a Weapon Upgrade mid-game, but not sure how the "points" to do so are earned.
  • Actual kills & plain Assists both count towards Eliminations score, it seems?
I'm starting it again today (Saturday) , hoping to get a Squad in. I don't know if there's any patching going on behind the scenes, but hoping it's a smoother ride today than yesterday.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So did they take out the target framerate/dynamic resolution feature? That sucks if so. I used that in Gears 4 to easily hit 144fps without micromanaging settings and resolutions.

Yeah I wish a option like this would still be available as well. Yes it's impressive that it's looking this crisp and smooth as can be at 60fps, but I see where they cut corners. I noticed how none of the foliage moves at all, all the trees and bushes are as static as can be, like it's Titanfall 2. I sure hope that won't be the case for campaign. Seeing foliage move in the wind just adds something to the experience.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Crackdown looks worse than most games on PC to be fair lol

But I seem to be having really bad stability issues where the framerate is fluctuating all over the place. It will go from 100 to 20 to 60 in a matter of seconds. Anyone else having this problem, particularly those with Nvidia 10 series cards?

EDIT: And it just crashed my whole PC. That's never happened before :/

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Things I'm kinda confused by:
  • I bought a Weapon Upgrade mid-game, but not sure how the "points" to do so are earned.
  • Actual kills & plain Assists both count towards Eliminations score, it seems?

Skulls (the currency to buy a weapon) is earned by getting an elimination which is either a kill or an assist.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
I don't like the new headshot sound. Gimme my old one back. Look at the difference in the clip below between original and edited

Racos

Oct 27, 2017
Arcade sucks so much but I don't feel like playing Escalation for these stupid skins. I hate this tech test so much, not even going to touch this mode in the full game if I get it.

Yea, I don't like escalation either. The choosing a weapon takes too long, and the match ends up lasting forever. Loving KOTH though, as always. I really like it so far, but don't have a full opinion on the inverse omen logo for when you are getting shot.

Last edited:

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Takes so long to get into a match that at least one person always seems to quit, which just makes it even worse 😡

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
make sure you are on the latestfirmware (1260.8) it fixes the HDR "gamma" tracking

Hmmm.

It seems I have the latest version then, when I go to About my TV it says 1260.8.

I saw your tweets to someone about ST.2084 at - 2 and contrast actually at 45. So 45 is better for HDR games/shows/movies instead of max at 50? Also would you change BT.1886 or leave at default?

Oct 27, 2017
I think that arcade is an interesting and welcomes new way to play gears. It's like a call of duty-fied way to play that is good for just hopping in and having some fun.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The few times this evening that Ranked worked for me I was reminded why I don't mess with Versus too much anymore. I got shotgunned to shit left and right.

Horde will always be my jam though, and I'll give Escape a shot come release. But at the end of the day? Campaign all the way.

Oct 26, 2017
Finally played some Arcade. Is anyone else using a controller on PC? I still can't get it to feel good. It either accelerates past my targets, or it goes too slow. I'm trying to find a middle ground with my settings.