• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Gears has been a game big on single player was the multiplayer good sure but single player is what started and made the franchise hot and lol yes we have We have seen gameplay from Death Stranding, more so than Gears 5 gameplay
Lmao absolutely no one knows what you even do in Death Stranding. We've barely seen anything.

Gears on the other hand we have seen a small glimpse of the campaign last year and there's lots of footage of the Escape mode and we get to play the PvP in a few days.

I mean c'mon it's Gears 5. It's going to play like a Gears game with some (minor) changes here and there. The real big changes should be level/world design, mission structure and storytelling. And maybe they want to keep that under wraps. Who cares? Wait for reviews or try it on Game Pass.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I get that when a dev keeps quiet people start assuming the worst, but damn, I love secrecy when it comes to story. Movies and games have been showing too much before release. That little tease last year was plenty good.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Lmao absolutely no one knows what you even do in Death Stranding. We've barely seen anything.

Gears on the other hand we have seen a small glimpse of the campaign last year and there's lots of footage of the Escape mode and we get to play the PvP in a few days.

I mean c'mon it's Gears 5. It's going to play like a Gears game with some (minor) changes here and there. The real big changes should be level/world design, mission structure and storytelling. And maybe they want to keep that under wraps. Who cares? Wait for reviews or try it on Game Pass.
Rather not get another warning for odd reasons you wana debate pm me im all for it

Oct 29, 2017
One thing I'll say is that Microsoft has a pretty bad track record for hyping their 1st party titles and under delivering. I specifically remember having an argument with Stinkles about Halo 5 on the old board about how all of the early Halo 5 media suggested that the campaign was pretty linear and looked like at best it was just a series of different paths you could select from. The lackluster Halo 5 campaign and its linear nature are pretty widely acknowledged at this point, yet at the time pretty much everyone was yelling at me telling me how unfair I was being to Microsoft and Stinkles.

In the end, this is just a videogame board and this quote is fair game to discuss, but I would seriously take anything coming from Microsoft with a grain of salt until you've actually seen what it looks like. At the very least it seems likely that with Gears 5 we will have some sort of loot pve mechanic where you start in a hub world and then travel to destinations. For some this could read: "big" for many Gears die-hards this reads, turning the Gears IP into something that it's not.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'll say is that Microsoft has a pretty bad track record for hyping their 1st party titles and under delivering. I specifically remember having an argument with Stinkles about Halo 5 on the old board about how all of the early Halo 5 media suggested that the campaign was pretty linear and looked like at best it was just a series of different paths you could select from. The lackluster Halo 5 campaign and its linear nature are pretty widely acknowledged at this point, yet at the time pretty much everyone was yelling at me telling me how unfair I was being to Microsoft and Stinkles.

In the end, this is just a videogame board and this quote is fair game to discuss, but I would seriously take anything coming from Microsoft with a grain of salt until you've actually seen what it looks like. At the very least it seems likely that with Gears 5 we will have some sort of loot pve mechanic where you start in a hub world and then travel to destinations. For some this could read: "big" for many Gears die-hards this reads, turning the Gears IP into something that it's not.
I think the die hards are more in the MP then the SP. Think changes to the SP are more welcome by alot of people.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can kinda tolerate the gameplay. Are any of the sequels less gray? I was expecting the game to look better (yes, I know it's a 360 game that was updated, but still...), but the gray-ness of everything became old very quickly

Yes, more color is added to the games as they go on.

But yea, if you enjoy the gameplay itself and just want more color/interesting locations the later games do experiment more.

However, don't play 2->3->Judgement->4 because by the time your done you will be burnt out on the core gameplay. Best to just jump in with the new one if you're interested imo.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
No, you don't.

It's not Gears fault the one game has only one mode to show - and the other one five.
Indeed.
And all modes are 4k60 on Xbox One X if I remember correctly.
But a designing a fun multiplayer mode is not easy, it is therefore understandable that other so-called AAA games often do not have a multiplayer mode at all.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for another Gears campaign, probably going to go in dark at this point even if they do put out footage. I've come this far already.

Oct 29, 2017
I think the die hards are more in the MP then the SP. Think changes to the SP are more welcome by alot of people.

It'll likely be the "welcome" flavor of the week, where a year from now we will wonder why all of the big AAA studios felt the need to create health bar bullet sponge enemies, a poor substitute to complex AI and interesting level design.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
The talk about how great the campaign looks compared to previous Gears, oh wait we cant.
Ok, so from the ONE (and the other two with Faz the new character and the scene with Marcus jd Faz Kait and dell) campaign trailer they showed we seen the skiff, a vehicle we get to use to travel sera, new enemy types about the swarm taking over technology, brand new environments instead of GREY GREY GREY brown GREY GREY black GREY. The new weapon and enemy type (the dude with the hammer and diamonds on his shoulder that's massive) with a glimpse of the new krill that was elaborated with escape. Red Desert landscape, snowy landscape, and jungle one. We know it has 3 player split screen, and that's about it. We know that much form THAT little they've shown us and you reaction to all of this is it's going to be bad because they didn't blow there entire load in a day?? An lol we still don't know whit about death stranding wtf are you smoking, known of use even know if the game is trying to be a MGS5 with stealth or if it's just like journey but with ghosts. Take this energy to neogaf you'll have more fun over there.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
Truth, and it's not like Gears 4 really assuaged my doubts about them being able to freshen the series up. Shit got real old, real fast. What saved it was playing with a friend that I don't get to see often, and just goofing around. The scenarios themselves were pretty rote for the most part.

Completely earned, warranted concern =/= concern trolling. "Now you can ride a skiff through a beautiful but empty map to get to the same copy paste combat arena against fucking robots for the 45th time" isn't really a selling point.
This right here.

Or maybe even pay $1 and try it yourself? I know people hate that that's an option... but it's an option.
Game Pass is fantastic, but it's becoming the default excuse for everything problematic related to Xbox:
  • Don't market your game properly? Well just play it cheap on Game Pass, no sweat! (Gears 5)

• Have a buggy, poorly optimized title? Well, it is only a $1 in Game Pass so don't hold that against it! (State of Decay 2)

• Release a tech demo at launch? It's alright, just subscribe to Game Pass while it gets updated! (Sea of Thieves)

• Finally deliver on what was a perpetually delayed, mediocre title top to bottom? It doesn't have to be a masterpiece since you can get it for just a buck! (Crackdown 3)

• Microsoft's lack of AAA titles as we inch closer to Scarlett's release? You don't need them! Look at all the value you're getting out of these smaller titles. (an actual argument from the Xbox OT)

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm all for it as subjective as that terminology is being. Part of me theorizes why they're holding off revealing campaign details presumably due to major spoilers at the beginning of the game. A good counter argument would probably be to skip ahead or something i guess too. I personally feel that I got enough campaign info personally to trust that i'm going to have a great experience either way, but totally get peoples' concern as well.

I swear to god if they kill off any of the original gears characters...

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well they did show off some very large environments a couple E3s ago. Could be a standard length game with very large outdoor areas.

Either way I'm excited to see more. "Largest" just doesn't do much for me as a descriptor.

• Microsoft's lack of AAA titles as we inch closer to Scarlett's release? You don't need them! Look at all the value you're getting out of these smaller titles. (an actual argument from the Xbox OT)

Overall I agree with you, but their lack of releases makes sense considering the Xbox One install base. One would expect they're gearing up for a big launch window/year for next-gen.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
When people bring up the robots and act like the whole game was only robots. My alarm always goes off thinking those people probaby didnt really play the whole game.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This right here.

Game Pass is fantastic, but it's becoming the default excuse for everything problematic related to Xbox:
  • Don't market your game properly? Well just play it cheap on Game Pass, no sweat! (Gears 5)

• Have a buggy, poorly optimized title? Well, it is only a $1 in Game Pass so don't hold that against it! (State of Decay 2)

• Release a tech demo at launch? It's alright, just subscribe to Game Pass while it gets updated! (Sea of Thieves)

• Finally deliver on what was a perpetually delayed, mediocre title top to bottom? It doesn't have to be a masterpiece since you can get it for just a buck! (Crackdown 3)

For sure, using GamePass as a cure-all excuse for any shortcoming is annoying. I love GamePass; I've played over a dozen games on it since subscribing a week or two ago. That doesn't make Crackdown 3 any less of an absolute piece of shit that I uninstalled with a quickness, and doesn't make any single other game on the service better. It minimizes the risk of trying it out, but people constantly using it to poo-poo criticism about games is tiresome.

Gears 5 isn't putting out near the kind of warning signs that several of the games you listed had, though. From what has been shown, it looks like an incredibly content-packed and feature-complete game. Your point about the complete lack of SP footage is well taken. At this point, one can only wait until they actually show it. I see no problem with speculation that it could potentially end up being lackluster, given the somewhat lackluster nature of Gears 4's campaign. I attribute a good amount of that to it being the Coalition's first game, and expect Gears 5 to be better.
When people bring up the robots and act like the whole game was only robots. My alarm always goes off thinking those people probaby didnt really play the whole game.
Played the whole game, took forever to not be robots. Robot lady was the primary bad guy through most of it, despite finally fighting locusts/transformed people. People exaggerate, but the point behind the words are still valid, IMO. Robot enemies were incredibly uninteresting, along with the environments all the way until the Phoenix mansion (and more than a few afterwards).

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
People love to forget Forza Horizon 4 tho always when making a list.
Not sure why FH4 would go on such a list, a list of games with obvious flaws and warning signs that had people defend them with "but GamePass!"
FH4 is an amazing title that didn't really have any doubters before launch. Why would one list that in a post specifically about people quieting criticism through GP?
Unless you're talking about exclusives lists, i.e. someone saying that "all MS exclusives suck" or whatever console war nonsense people get up to around here. People conveniently forget great titles in the service of list wars all the time.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why FH4 would go on such a list, a list of games with obvious flaws and warning signs that had people defend them with "but GamePass!"
FH4 is an amazing title that didn't really have any doubters before launch. Why would one list that in a post specifically about people quieting criticism through GP?
Because people talk about marketing, reasons games were "bad" because of Gamepass. And then forget a game wich did great with all those things. Seems selective to make a point.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Because people talk about marketing, reasons games were "bad" because of Gamepass. And then forget a game wich did great with all those things. Seems selective to make a point.
Ah, I see. I haven't really seen many people claim that games are bad because of GamePass, honestly. People that make such claims as you mention don't really deserve anyone's time. More often I see people respond to legitimate complaints with "but it's only a dollar to try" or something.

Either way, I'm excited to try this on GamePass when it comes out, which I got for a dollar lmao

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
This right here.

I know someone's going to reply to this and tell you why your wrong but I'll indulge it just a little bit. Forza horizon 4 wasn't gimped for gamepass which is probably why it was conveniently left out of your list despite wit being one of the first gamepass launches if I remember correctly, SOD was literally a AA from a AA team that even STILL, has major potential, I mean SOD 1 was on a shoe string budget and it was hailed as the best XBLA game last gen so I wouldn't write them off just yet especially now that they have a bigger budget.

CD3 was probably the biggest dev fuck up of the gen, gamepass wasn't even a thought when that was in development, the game was born to be mediocre (and I actually enjoyed it a lot sue me, it's basically gta where you get to run around and kill people but times 11, and since that's why I usually do in gta CD3 was right up my ally) so that point just flat out doesn't make sense.

And we can argue about SoT till your blue in the face, 2 months after launch and it was essentially fixed and to this day it's has a MASSIVE player base, we can cry about it but then you'd have to start crying about Ubisoft as well because one of the most played games of this gen (rainbow six siege, no mans sky, etc) started bare bones and ended up setting the world on fire, Hell fortnite was the same way and look where we're at now but that's modern day developing, don't bitch at gamepass for that. It's not a good trend that I say devs should follow but if you can fix your game then, do it, doesn't seem like much thought has to go into those reasons of doing so.

And wtf do you mean lack of AAA releases going towards Scarlett's launch? YOURE LITERALLY IN A GEARS 5 THREAD. Please explain to me how gears 5 isn't AAA when it has more content than MOST AAA GAMES?!?!? And for the gamepass getting games thing, it's the same argument as gold vs ps3 online, if people are enjoying a great service then yeah it'll be marketed and talked about, that's what happened with gold, Sony literally had to come out with a similar service because of 1. Money, and 2. It surely helped there god awful online capabilities going into ps4.

I'm getting the outter worlds, gears 5, Pyschonauts 2, bleeding edge and much much more for a sub I'm already subscribed to because 1, I have to play online since it's 2019 and all that, and 2, it's bundled with said online sub, so your damn right I'm gonna count that as a good thing. You think if psplus gave away spiderman people wouldn't be singing and praising psplus lol? And your honest to god telling me this tech test trailer wasn't good?? She threw a fucking grown sized monster into a flurry of mortars and I'm supposed to act like that's not good marketing?? If you spin anymore your going to get motion sickness dog.

Regardless of the point if it's good press or bad press, even the Sony side of YouTube like nxtgen gaming and foxy games U.K. STILL talk about gears on a week to week basis. Hell your helping said cause, and there's new threads about gears every week talking about new shit and yes believe it or not gears 4 is still in the top 50 games on Xbox not because of the campaign, online has undoubtedly become the most popular mode i gears since 2 so calm that shit down, and as gamepass has proven time and time again, it's a GREAT way to market games. You want proof? Go look at all the games you mentioned (besides CD3, that was just a flop. Had fun but it was BEYOND overhyped, but you don't see me talk about knack or the order every time Sony try's to drop a new game sooo can we give it a rest now? It's getting old) and what they did sales and player count wise.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's really substantial, I just played through the Gears 4 campaign recently and was pretty disappointed. It felt like the entire plot of Gears 4 would have just been the first couple of chapters in a different game.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people need months of notice to commit to buying a game, or in this case getting it on Game Pass?

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This right here.

Lol on god thats annoying truth. Gamepass taking too much credence IMO. Its cool but its a bandaid and didn't want to make me play those other games either

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Some people downplay gow 4 but it had a lot of creative gameplay ideas. Not just the same thing level after level. I would hope they would continue that with 5

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
All this show me campaign bitching is so weird.
Like...they have their marketing rollout-and campaign is to be shown a couple weeks before launch aka youll still have time to judge it before you commit to buying so wtf is the problem.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gonna need to know the quality of it before I consider this a good thing tbh. I mean, is it gear of war 4 quality? :/

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Some people downplay gow 4 but it had a lot of creative gameplay ideas. Not just the same thing level after level. I would hope they would continue that with 5
Yeah thought it was pretty good. The last couple of weeks i played all the Gears games again. And Gears 4 has by far the most difference in levels and setpieces.
I mean the other ones are older also so thats part of it. But i think the older games are looked at through different glasses. Wich is logical offcourse. But going back to them really shows how games have changed.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I know someone's going to reply to this and tell you why your wrong but I'll indulge it just a little bit. Forza horizon 4 wasn't gimped for gamepass which is probably why it was conveniently left out of your list despite wit being one of the first gamepass launches if I remember correctly, SOD was literally a AA from a AA team that even STILL, has major potential, I mean SOD 1 was on a shoe string budget and it was hailed as the best XBLA game last gen so I wouldn't write them off just yet especially now that they have a bigger budget.

CD3 was probably the biggest dev fuck up of the gen, gamepass wasn't even a thought when that was in development, the game was born to be mediocre (and I actually enjoyed it a lot sue me, it's basically gta where you get to run around and kill people but times 11, and since that's why I usually do in gta CD3 was right up my ally) so that point just flat out doesn't make sense.

And we can argue about SoT till your blue in the face, 2 months after launch and it was essentially fixed and to this day it's has a MASSIVE player base, we can cry about it but then you'd have to start crying about Ubisoft as well because one of the most played games of this gen (rainbow six siege, no mans sky, etc) started bare bones and ended up setting the world on fire, Hell fortnite was the same way and look where we're at now but that's modern day developing, don't bitch at gamepass for that. It's not a good trend that I say devs should follow but if you can fix your game then, do it, doesn't seem like much thought has to go into those reasons of doing so.

And wtf do you mean lack of AAA releases going towards Scarlett's launch? YOURE LITERALLY IN A GEARS 5 THREAD. Please explain to me how gears 5 isn't AAA when it has more content than MOST AAA GAMES?!?!? And for the gamepass getting games thing, it's the same argument as gold vs ps3 online, if people are enjoying a great service then yeah it'll be marketed and talked about, that's what happened with gold, Sony literally had to come out with a similar service because of 1. Money, and 2. It surely helped there god awful online capabilities going into ps4.

I'm getting the outter worlds, gears 5, Pyschonauts 2, bleeding edge and much much more for a sub I'm already subscribed to because 1, I have to play online since it's 2019 and all that, and 2, it's bundled with said online sub, so your damn right I'm gonna count that as a good thing. You think if psplus gave away spiderman people wouldn't be singing and praising psplus lol? And your honest to god telling me this tech test trailer wasn't good?? She threw a fucking grown sized monster into a flurry of mortars and I'm supposed to act like that's not good marketing?? If you spin anymore your going to get motion sickness dog.

Regardless of the point if it's good press or bad press, even the Sony side of YouTube like nxtgen gaming and foxy games U.K. STILL talk about gears on a week to week basis. Hell your helping said cause, and there's new threads about gears every week talking about new shit and yes believe it or not gears 4 is still in the top 50 games on Xbox not because of the campaign, online has undoubtedly become the most popular mode i gears since 2 so calm that shit down, and as gamepass has proven time and time again, it's a GREAT way to market games. You want proof? Go look at all the games you mentioned (besides CD3, that was just a flop. Had fun but it was BEYOND overhyped, but you don't see me talk about knack or the order every time Sony try's to drop a new game sooo can we give it a rest now? It's getting old) and what they did sales and player count wise.
Yup, their post was complete nonsense. Glad someone took the time to call them out.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019

Ohhhh boy could I dissect this easy, ill prob pm you so I dont get another warning

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna need to know the quality of it before I consider this a good thing tbh. I mean, is it gear of war 4 quality? :/
Why are you people acting like Gears 4 was dogshit? It was a super safe sequel with some flaws here and there. They have stated that they wanted to play it safe for their first game and they did. If only 343 did that. The multiplayer was still fantastic and I can't think of a better playing TPS.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember all that amazing pre release footage from GTA5 and RDR2? Me neither. We don't "need" to see a dam thing....especially when 24 hours from now we can play the dam game.

Rockstar is one of the very few who get away with it because they are a known quality. GTA, RDR etc, these are critically acclaimed tentpole ambitious darlings. Rockstar has earned that trust and faith over countless incredible releases, and we know to expect utmost quality from them. The same cannot be said for The Coalition, who's only release thus far is Gears 4, which whilst solid, was the worst critically recieved mainline title in the franchise (imo the worst campaign of the mainline releases too), thus they have more to prove.

Even then, Rockstar did actually put out more trailers than we've had from The Coalition regarding the campaign (3 prior to release, mostly showing cutscenes and visuals), including one gameplay centric one a few weeks from release.

In any case, only thing to do now is be patient about it. Because The Coalition don't appear to be changing course despite all the complaints and concern all over social media, including from some of Xbox's biggest YouTube fan channels (CrapGamer etc), so we'll just have to wait to a week before release, where hopefully they blow us away and deliver on some of the marketing spiel.

Last edited:

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
People love to forget Forza Horizon 4 tho always when making a list.
I'm not being selective. The entire point of my observation was to highlight how Game Pass is being used to wave away issues surrounding Xbox exclusives. I included all of 2018's larger titles and 2019's only major release. Understand that Forza Horizon 4 isn't on that list because it's a great game, but also that it's an outlier. I'm not claiming these games are bad because of Game Pass either, just that the service's amazing value is being leveraged to excuse said flawed games.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
i just don't understand tbh. We have the rough dates of when we will see (more) campaign footage. It will be before release. Chances are we will have various gaming sites/blogs/streamers who get impressions for the game, and we will get a campaign trailer. All this before release.

So what's the problem? I don't like this, but it's obvious to see they want to show different aspects of the game leading up to launch to keep the hype train rolling.

They aren't hiding anything. You will see (more) gameplay before launch. That's a fact. We saw Escape at E3 which did not interest me (and probably same with some of you). We can play the game tomorrow. Next month Horde. Shortly after that campaign footage and then the game will release. Meanwhile you can earn skins for Gears 5 by playing Gears 4.

So what's the problem? That you have to wait roughly 5-6 more weeks to see the campaign? Doesn't seem like a big deal to me :/.

Maybe someone can break it down for me?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, I don't see that happening and I'd ask why you seem to think it's likely?

Revealing that for Gears 5 would kill the series.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Ussr Banned (1 Day): unnecessary hostility, use of ableist language and meme
Ohhhh boy could I dissect this easy, ill prob pm you so I dont get another warning
If it's that easy then you would've done it lol. By all means Please Struggler, give us some insight on your amazing intellectual/argumentative abilities. I want to know just how disruptive gamepass is to MS games of the past present and future. I would LOVE to hear it... if you can find time in your busy schedule of bitching about "WHERES MY CAMPAIGN FOOTAGE REEEEEE." I know your doing important work. Also don't pm me, I won't reply, not because I'm an asshole but because I'm on mobile and I've never pm'd anyone before so idek how to lol. Keep thread talk in the thread, crazy I know, but I'm here others would love to hear it as well.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
i just don't understand tbh. We have the rough dates of when we will see (more) campaign footage. It will be before release. Chances are we will have various gaming sites/blogs/streamers who get impressions for the game, and we will get a campaign trailer. All this before release.

So what's the problem? I don't like this, but it's obvious to see they want to show different aspects of the game leading up to launch to keep the hype train rolling.

They aren't hiding anything. You will see (more) gameplay before launch. That's a fact. We saw Escape at E3 which did not interest me (and probably same with some of you). We can play the game tomorrow. Next month Horde. Shortly after that campaign footage and then the game will release. Meanwhile you can earn skins for Gears 5 by playing Gears 4.

So what's the problem? That you have to wait roughly 5-6 more weeks to see the campaign? Doesn't seem like a big deal to me :/.

Maybe someone can break it down for me?

There's a lot of talk about it being the biggest Gears campaign. Open world aspects, 20x campaign maps, controllable vehicle used to explore Sera as well as some stealth and melee additions to gameplay.

It's a whole new Gears, it's not surprising people want to see that shit in action.

Oct 29, 2017
Nah, I don't see that happening and I'd ask why you seem to think it's likely?

Revealing that for Gears 5 would kill the series.

I don't know for sure, but we have already seen it in the new Escape mode, where there are health bars and hit markers. Apparently they can be turned off, but if that loot style shooter feature made it into that mode, it would not surprise me one bit if it also exists in the campaign.