• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
With many reviewers using 1 to 5 scale vs 1 to 10 it also can skew the final numbers a bit. Most would probably choose a 4 vs a 5 even when they think it's probably higher than an 80... so 86 is a very good score.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Score keeps getting better since the last time I checked, at this rate it might get close to 90.

This thread is embarassing though, PS fanboys acting like idiots just because the game didn't crack 90 and XB fanboys feeling insecure trying to downplay PS exclusives and accusing critics of being biased.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I mean it's a valid point though? I didn't play the game but several critics pointed that part out. If there's nothing in them then what's the point of it. Seems to only hurt the pacing for no real reason outside of marketing reasons.

Many reviewers loved it. Some others had some mixed feelings about it.
What other reviewer claimed it was absolutely boring, handled horribly and ruined the game completely?

Not sure where you got the BS that this was put into the game for 'marketing reasons'. Source?

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I'm talking on a technical level.
Character models in AAAs third person action games are very similar on a technical level.
Ahhhh I gotcha, that's definitely true. Animation and art style is what really sets stuff apart now.

I'm sure I'll just be lost in the overall visuals and the characters will grow on me once I'm actually playing because those one x direct feed screens looked real good

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Mid-80s averages now are basically like low-90s score averages from the last decade. Nothing wrong with an 86.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this thread got embarrassing... From both sides.

Like if you're not going to play the game or prefer the blue box, y'all need to stop being children. 85/6/whatever is a great score. The Xbox has a great game released, and fans of the series and the green box have every right to be happy for this.

If you are playing the game, why the fuck do you care if it didn't hit 90? How does 3 points make any difference to how the game plays? Why bring up games from the blue box and try to bring those down? How does that make this game better? Not every game hits 90+ and that doesn't matter.

Sometimes it's threads like these that make people feel embarrassed to say they play games more than just casually. This is some schoolyard childishness coming from a bunch of adults.

Feb 10, 2018
Ahhhh I gotcha, that's definitely true. Animation and art style is what really sets stuff apart now.

I'm sure I'll just be lost in the overall visuals and the characters will grow on me once I'm actually playing because those one x direct feed screens looked real good

Unfortunately the movement style of Gears does kind of dictate the gameplay animation of the characters.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Many reviewers loved it. Some others had some mixed feelings about it.
What other reviewer claimed it was absolutely boring, handled horribly and ruined the game completely?

Not sure where you got the BS that this was put into the game for 'marketing reasons'. Source?
My god you even went out of your way to edit out how happy I am for the game doing well. What's the point of this? Don't be so freaking defensive. I didn't even know the guy who I thought might have a point was a toxic reviewer. I only read the post here, not his review.

SkillUp said he thought the open segments were pointless as there was absolutely nothing to do in them.
The whole God of War comparison came to mind when talking about marketing. People like hearing when something isn't a strictly linear experience. It's also great footage for trailers, at these segments look stunning.

I simply shared my thoughts, I'm really sorry for not being 100% positive all the time. Calm down please.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
Score keeps getting better since the last time I checked, at this rate it might get close to 90.

This thread is embarassing though, PS fanboys acting like idiots just because the game didn't crack 90 and XB fanboys feeling insecure trying to downplay PS exclusives and accusing critics of being biased.

It's basically the same as any exclusive title's review thread. Look at how Astral Chain on the Switch did with Metacritic. People are jealous of what they can't get. At least with Xbox titles, petty people can play them on PC as well but if they're not willing to dish out the money for an Xbox, it's highly unlikely they have a decent PC to run the game.

Console wars will never end unfortunately.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
What's your psn id? Cause I'm willing to bet you have a lot of games with trophies earned that dont fit into your highly exclusive bubble.
TJa9x3t.jpg

I know right?
What multiplayer game are you playing that has over a 90 Metacritic? Don't tell me that you're able to find time to enjoy a gaming experience with under a 90 Metacritic.

I make a blanket exception for games I play mostly for multiplayer, cos I never agree with reviewers on that particular issue.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
A real shame this has turned out less than stellar. Microsoft's first party offering has been incredibly weak this gen, they lost all the great momentum they built with the 360 and pissed it all away. They need to refocus and make at least three must have titles for Scarlett for launch.

Opencritic labels an 86 score as 'mighty'.
I'll take that over your warz inspired 'incredibly weak' rating.

On Xbox reviews don't even matter anymore, you got gamepass to try it out.

Yes, because every Xbox owner has GamePass. And because the developers don't care about feedback on the game they've made.
Sigh.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read all this thread and others may have pointed this out, but....

86 Metacritic (Gears 5) = shit.
87 Metacritic (Spiderman) = amazing

I think that's the gist of it......
I know this is a joke, but this perception is very real. People have been conditioned to view narrative 3rd person action adventures as the pinnacle, the Oscar bait of gaming, and shooters are for the unwashed.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
AAA exclusive review threads truly are this forums greatest gift.
Anyway,to those actually interested enjoy the game,it seems if you like Gears of War you will have a good time.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
My god you even went out of your way to edit out how happy I am for the game doing well. What's the point of this? Don't be so freaking defensive. I didn't even know the guy who I thought might have a point was a toxic reviewer. I only read the post here, not his review.

SkillUp said he thought the open segments were pointless as there was absolutely nothing to do in them.
The whole God of War comparison came to mind when talking about marketing. People like hearing when something isn't a strictly linear experience. It's also great footage for trailers, at these segments look stunning.

I simply shared my thoughts, I'm really sorry for not being 100% positive all the time. Calm down please.

I watched the SkillUp review and the Laymen Gaming review, he says he actually really enjoyed the open world segments for what they were. He also said they could be improved but as a first attempt they are solid and a good starting point.

Edit - not jumping on you, just wanted to clarify his opinion on that part of the game

I reckon it's how I will feel about their inclusion. Nice bit of contrast between all the action and set pieces

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched the SkillUp review and the Laymen Gaming review, he says he actually really enjoyed the open world segments for what they were. He also said they could be improved but as a first attempt they are solid and a good starting point
Really? I only watched the SkillUp one and the only thing I remember from there was how he said it was empty and nothing to do in there. I'll rewatch it later.

Oct 25, 2017
AAA exclusive review threads truly are this forums greatest gift.
Anyway,to those actually interested enjoy the game,it seems if you like Gears of War you will have a good time.

Pretty much. I think expectations got boosted too high after the campaign previews released. A couple of weeks ago most would have been wholly satisfied with these scores. The recent GOTY talk has skewed perception. I understand it though and I'm certainly not immune to it. You best believe I'm hoping Borderlands 3 scores a 90 or better. Will matter in the end? No, but it's still the result I want. On the flip side there will be lots hoping it flops because of the Epic deal and Randy Pitchford. These threads are rarely just about the quality of the game being scored.

chuey

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited for this now. Is there going to be an official OT this Friday or on the actual release date?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority who voted in the pre review thread voted for 86-90.

Seems most people expected this score. Not sure where the narrative of this thread being embarrassing or people having meltdowns is coming from.

The only really embarrassing post was by someone using an alt(?) to post fanboy bullshit.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
A real shame this has turned out less than stellar. Microsoft's first party offering has been incredibly weak this gen, they lost all the great momentum they built with the 360 and pissed it all away. They need to refocus and make at least three must have titles for Scarlett for launch.
Less than stellar would be like sub 70
What do you define as "must have"

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. I think expectations got boosted too high after the campaign previews released. A couple of weeks ago most would have been wholly satisfied with these scores. The recent GOTY talk has skewed perception. I understand it though and I'm certainly not immune to it. You best believe I'm hoping Borderlands 3 scores a 90 or better. Will matter in the end? No, but it's still the result I want. On the flip side there will be lots hoping it flops because of the Epic deal and Randy Pitchford. These threads are rarely just about the quality of the game being scored.

Why hope for such a thing, especially if it ultimately doesn't matter? I assume you're buying BL3 regardless?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Actually, Sony has Bloodborne, God of War and Uncharted 4. Forgot about Bloodborne, which I got fairly early on.
Microsoft has Forza Horizon 3 and 4.
What did you actually read Metacritic? This is definitely Sony's best gen for reviewers games. It's way more than those 3.
Holy shit this thread got embarrassing... From both sides.

Like if you're not going to play the game or prefer the blue box, y'all need to stop being children. 85/6/whatever is a great score. The Xbox has a great game released, and fans of the series and the green box have every right to be happy for this.

If you are playing the game, why the fuck do you care if it didn't hit 90? How does 3 points make any difference to how the game plays? Why bring up games from the blue box and try to bring those down? How does that make this game better? Not every game hits 90+ and that doesn't matter.

Sometimes it's threads like these that make people feel embarrassed to say they play games more than just casually. This is some schoolyard childishness coming from a bunch of adults.
But ppl do this with phones and cars and Sports teams. I'm proud to be a gamer! Also, this thread ain't that bad.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
The vast majority who voted in the pre review thread voted for 86-90.

Seems most people expected this score. Not sure where the narrative of this thread being embarrassing or people having meltdowns is coming from.

The only really embarrassing post was by someone using an alt(?) to post fanboy bullshit.
Yeah not a bad review thread all things considered.

The dude who wrote that awful Phantom Dust review did stop by to scold us tho.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
86 is amazing. Will try this ty Gamepass. Also idk why people are upset about the review score? spiderman is 87.. 1 pt way and it still did well.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Only had time this morning to read the scores on some of the reviews and it is scoring very good. Then got home from work and started to read the thread and holy shit. You would think the game is getting scored in the low 5's with some of the comments. I been around a long time so I am not shocked but damn there are some really blatant fan boys posts and some really uncalled for things being posted. I just don't know why a game scoring as good as Gears 5 is that there is that much hate.

I would venture to take a guess that the majority, I give it a 70/30 split wont even be playing the game (the 70 percent part) and these folks post just to stir shit up.

Anyways some really good scores. Looking forward to the DF Article on the technical side of things....can't wait till tomorrow when it unlocks!

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Wow some folks are crazy. How can this be viewed as a bad score? I think it's a great score and this makes me even more annoyed I have to wait on this game. Can not wait to play it!

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Dam I thought spiderman was 89
Nope. Weak side content and bad stealth sections kept it from a higher score. It's only 1 point from this one, and may end up the same after multiplayer gets factored into scores (not sure if Meta or Open update review score numbers if the publication does).
Wow some folks are crazy. How can this be viewed as a bad score? I think it's a great score and this makes me even more annoyed I have to wait on this game. Can not wait to play it!
The amount of posters claiming this is a bad score is vanishingly small. The amount of posts accusing people of doing so is significantly larger.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
86 is amazing. Will try this ty Gamepass. Also idk why people are upset about the review score? spiderman is 87.. 1 pt way and it still did well.

Is 86 actually amazing? I think it's a very good score for sure, and it's really very hard to break 90 these days. It's right on where I thought this would land, and based on the votes beforehand a lot of others thought 85 - 89 was likely.

But, to me, that doesn't qualify as "amazing" scores. I just don't throw that word around too often or it loses meaning. It could be an amazing game, and hopefully it is for many people. These reviews are largely meaningless anyway because they are mostly only taking a single portion of the game into account, largely leaving the multiplayer side alone.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
86 is a great score, how are people pretending otherwise?

It's just one point away from Spider-Man and that was my favorite game last year.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Console warriors, copy/paste opinions from trash reviews and fanboy bs are something common on this threads, and that goes for the four sides (PC, PS, XBOX and Nintendo).

86 is a good score for this days, not GOTY material but maybe the best Gears since Gears of War 3.

Last edited: