• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Forza Horizon are racing masterpieces

I never loved Gears (cover based shooters aren't my thing) but reading reviews and having Gamepass, I will surely download and check it out.
Also, Microsoft has at least 1 current gen masterpiece and it's Forza Horizon 4. It's up there with Burnout 3/4 as my favorite racing game ever. Would it rock if they had more? Yeah but at least we have that!

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
The fact that Spiderman only has an 87% metacritic score and turned out to be an amazing game, makes me question not only the validity of the reviewers (and what they're "judging" a game on) but also reviews in general. Metacritic means nothing to me now.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Some questions for Gears fans:
What made you love/enjoy this franchise in the original trilogy? Do the new games look and feel like the old trilogy to you? Are you happy about that?
(I would like to ask the same to God of War fans but I won't seeing as this is a Gears thread)

It's been the MP from day one. and the new studio has, thankfully, embraced what Gears is and focused on over the top, CQC Gnasher gameplay.

the campaign has always been a brain-dead affair for me and my friends. shit, I didn't even touch Gears4 campaign until there was a reward to bring characters and items into Gears5.

the game plays and feels great from a moment/mechanics point of view, based on the Tech Test. I'll be playing the MP weekly for the next three years just like I did with every other game in the franchise. this is why review scores wont stop any fan from enjoying this.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I feel as though the slavish adherence to it by some within gaming is different, though (and that a lot of the criticism, as anywhere, is seriously poor).

Personally, I never read music reviews. Ever. They are meaningless to me, in terms of guiding my behaviour or learning from them. Almost completely meaningless in that sense. Films a little less so, but still not much there either. I don't not value them in terms of their being expressions of criticism and such, but rather they don't mean much to me.

I suspect this is fairly widespread, although of course not universal, nor should it be. Yet games reviews seem different to me: the attention paid is different, dramatically, to how other criticism works. Music is so vast you can never read a review and revel in whatever and it's not the point and nobody will care. If you're considering a modernist composer's position, sure, then you get more serious and pay.more attention, but these are two different fields that happen to share 'music'. Gaming still feels cloistered and limited and narrow in this sense. Maybe anecdotal, maybe too 'hardcore' focused.

I guess it's because games in general are a bigger investment in time and money so people are more picky.

It shouldn't be taken that seriously though.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The fact that Spiderman only has an 87% metacritic score and turned out to be an amazing game, makes me question not only the validity of the reviewers (and what they're "judging" a game on) but also reviews in general. Metacritic means nothing to me now.

Think it should tell you more about ('hardcore') gaming's perception and reception of scores as being not entirely helpful.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Not taking shots here but I never expected this game to get 90+ simply because it's not a heavily narrative driven experience like God of War. Let's be honest that game has kinda set a new standard for single player action games and In my personal opinion it's for the worst. The original Gears trilogy got 90+ scores across the board and they were hardly amazing narrative driven experiences. Fast forward to today and if a game like Gears 1 (94 Meta) came out I would bet my house it wouldn't get anywhere near that score simply because of the standards that have been set by Sony with games like God of War. The problem I have is games will start changing to be more like the God of War style story heavy narrative driven experience to gain a new audience and it will eventually result in these games becoming almost unrecognisable to the core fans who loved the originals. Gears has always been the gritty, gore-y, blood everywhere, brown experience with an impending doom as the world is at war. These new games feel nothing like that and I believe it's because of what I mentioned earlier and the new standards which have been set.

What made you love/enjoy this franchise in the original trilogy? Do the new games look and feel like the old trilogy to you? Are you happy about that?
(I would like to ask the same to God of War fans but I won't seeing as this is a Gears thread)

Uhh Gears was definitely a heavy narrative series, the writing and character work just wasn't of the same caliber as something like GOD OF WAR (2018). Let's not act like there wasn't a story and tons of cutscenes in those games. Gears 4 felt exactly like old Gears.

Think it should tell you more about ('hardcore') gaming's perception and reception of scores as being not entirely helpful.

Ding ding ding!
87 is a great score, people are nuts.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I traded in Gears 4 because of how boring it was and that game got pretty good reviews too. Now that I think about it most of them have been well reviewed but I can't remember enjoying one for a really long time. Maybe this ip isn't for me.

This is how I feel. I want so badly to get into this series but 3/4 ways into Gears 4 and I'm bored to tears. I'm forcing myself to finish it so I can play Gears 5 since I have gamepass on PC. I was hoping this would be the game to change my mind. They are saying the character development is better so I have some hope.

Feb 10, 2018
Well, 85 is still very good and it's an upward trajectory from gears 4. Will play it on the 6th, will probably like it more then 4 and 4 was a very good game.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So, this is pretty random, but I was just curious. I went through the critic reviews on metacritic and picked out all of the reviews in Spanish (of which there are 7). I then checked their review score and compared it to gears 4.

unknown.png

Please excuse the crappy notepad image. The score on the right is their score for Gears 4, while the left is Gears 5.

All of these are in Spanish.

Feb 26, 2018
Not taking shots here but I never expected this game to get 90+ simply because it's not a heavily narrative driven experience like God of War. Let's be honest that game has kinda set a new standard for single player action games and In my personal opinion it's for the worst. The original Gears trilogy got 90+ scores across the board and they were hardly amazing narrative driven experiences. Fast forward to today and if a game like Gears 1 (94 Meta) came out I would bet my house it wouldn't get anywhere near that score simply because of the standards that have been set by Sony with games like God of War. The problem I have is games will start changing to be more like the God of War style story heavy narrative driven experience to gain a new audience and it will eventually result in these games becoming almost unrecognisable to the core fans who loved the originals. Gears has always been the gritty, gore-y, blood everywhere, brown experience with an impending doom as the world is at war. These new games feel nothing like that and I believe it's because of what I mentioned earlier and the new standards which have been set.

Did you even play old Gears? They were all narrative driven and had lots of cutscenes.
And 2 highest rated games of this gen (Botw and Odyssey) are fully gameplay focused so dont try to create the false narrative

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
So, this is pretty random, but I was just curious. I went through the critic reviews on metacritic and picked out all of the reviews in Spanish (of which there are 7). I then checked their review score and compared it to gears 4.

unknown.png

Please excuse the crappy notepad image. The score on the right is their score for Gears 4, while the left is Gears 5.

Both Multiplayer.it and MondoXbox are Italian

Oct 28, 2017
So I haven't read reviews yet just looked at scores. I will soon enough, but for now someone give me a quick lowdown. The open world and RPG stuff. Do I need to be concerned at all?

KKHN

Mar 7, 2018
The score is a good one. But I read a lot critics about campaign, I hoped Gears 5 will be the first game in the franchise with an excellent story and a convincing characters development.
Now I expect the classic Gears with a great lore and a half baked story.

BTW I'm in for tomorrow and I will play, like the previous GoW, Horde in the next years.

Multiplayer and MondoXbox are Italian.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Lost Legacy is the best Uncharted and got an 84. Shrug

Good chance this is the best Gears yet. A lot of reviews even say that...but it has an average lower than the originals (just like Lost Legacy).

So I'm basically "whatever" with this stuff, lol.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
my take on reviews:
- i use a select few who have similar tastes as me. if they like the game, then i probably will.
makes no sense to see a global score without reading every single review

game looks crazy fun and mp should be good

Jan 15, 2018
So I haven't read reviews yet just looked at scores. I will soon enough, but for now someone give me a quick lowdown. The open world and RPG stuff. Do I need to be concerned at all?

Not at all from what I can tell, most reviewers seem to wish they did more with the open parts, but I haven't seen anyone super down on it. It seems that Gears just doesn't lend itself as well to the structure as it's less based upon movement than other games that made the shift. This leaves the open hubs being more of a place where you go from place to place to do things but nothing really happens in the open world itself, if that makes sense.

The only RPG stuff seems to be for Jack and I haven't seen any complaints about it.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're living in a world where even an 85 is not good enough, some of you people on here need to get your heads checked. Guess I need to go finish the Gears 4 campaign.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
my take on reviews:
- i use a select few who have similar tastes as me. if they like the game, then i probably will.
makes no sense to see a global score without reading every single review

game looks crazy fun and mp should be good
For me reviews just mean investigate further, or proceed with caution. They wouldn't be the deciding factor in buying a game. A trailer is more likely to be a deciding factor than a review actually, you can usually tell how good a game will be from that.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Watching some reviews it's disappointing to hear that graphics are not top of the class and have Frame rate hitches. Both ign and gamespot review mentioned it.

Also does any one know when we're are getting easy allies reviews? Their reviews matches my opinion mostly

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Are people really implying that 85 is a disappointing score now?

Game looks great and is reviewing well. It improves on the formula without changing it drastically. Seems like a lock for mid to high 80s. Unless there was a great narrative hook that they weren't showing, this was never going to get 90+
I think it's an over reaction to the gamespot score. With a pinch of console wars sprinkled in.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Watching some reviews it's disappointing to hear that graphics are not top of the class and have Frame rate hitches. Both ign and gamespot review mentioned it.

Also does any one know when we're are getting easy allies reviews? Their reviews matches my opinion mostly
I would focus more on what DF says tho

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
If we're living in a world where even an 85 is not good enough, some of you people on here need to get your heads checked. Guess I need to go finish the Gears 4 campaign.
It's not so much that but the unbridled hype. Just check the old predictions thread. Some people legitimately thought this game would score in the early 90s.

The idea that it's an 85 just kinda adjusted those expectations.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
User warned: platform warring
Microsoft's search for a 90+ AAA continues....

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017

Its a 60FPS game, it wont look as good as 30 FPSs games (but I still think its a better choice), we should wait for PC reviews to see the real graphics.