• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
still hyped to play this at the weekend, despite the scores coming in lower than I thought they would

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And singleplayer looks fantastic. Multiplayer section is already in review and still is a 7. Like i said, you don't know that. It's not like "IMO" anymore when you said "IT WILL" before.
We had no idea of SP though, we did have some idea about its multi and all signs points to it being universally praised. Im saying its "likely" to go up because the 7 doesnt include its multiplayer yet. I dont know why your objecting to this reasonable outcome.

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Console Warring
Meh With all the hype Xbox fans glamoring I was expecting some sort of God Of War level of quality. Seems like a good game but nothing special. Perfect for gamepass.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
Betty I hope this game doesn't disappoint you since you bought an X for this. 85 is still a very good score though. Hope you find some value from Gamepass...

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good scores, especially considering a game filled as much content as this one that you offer a lot of value but also there are more places to find faults.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care for scores for a gears game. You know what to expect at this point. Will cost me nothing to playthrough thanks to the gamepass trial. Gonna have a blast in the campaign hopefully. I don't do gears MP, Never found it fun so impressions for that aren't gonna sway me either way

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Uh...so you don't believe in media criticism at all? Film reviews, music reviews, etc?
No not at all.
Take music for example. I have tried listening to Radiohead over the years and try as I might I just cannot get into them. But man put on some Fidlar and I crank it up to 10. Does that mean Fidlar is better? The facts are Radiohead has better vocals, writing, and instrumentals. I mean that's really not debatable but for some reason I just do not enjoy them as much as a band that is lower in every category.
Do you rate the game/music/film on facts or enjoyment?

Jan 17, 2019
We had no idea of SP though, we did have some idea about its multi and all signs points to it being universally praised. Im saying its "likely" to go up because the 7 doesnt include its multiplayer yet. I dont know why your objecting to this reasonable outcome.

It's not reasonable outcome when you said to other "IT WILL" and it sound like you know and guarantee it. You don't know that! My objecting is legit.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Not taking shots here but I never expected this game to get 90+ simply because it's not a heavily narrative driven experience like God of War. Let's be honest that game has kinda set a new standard for single player action games and In my personal opinion it's for the worst. The original Gears trilogy got 90+ scores across the board and they were hardly amazing narrative driven experiences. Fast forward to today and if a game like Gears 1 (94 Meta) came out I would bet my house it wouldn't get anywhere near that score simply because of the standards that have been set by Sony with games like God of War. The problem I have is games will start changing to be more like the God of War style story heavy narrative driven experience to gain a new audience and it will eventually result in these games becoming almost unrecognisable to the core fans who loved the originals. Gears has always been the gritty, gore-y, blood everywhere, brown experience with an impending doom as the world is at war. These new games feel nothing like that and I believe it's because of what I mentioned earlier and the new standards which have been set.

Some questions for Gears fans:
What made you love/enjoy this franchise in the original trilogy? Do the new games look and feel like the old trilogy to you? Are you happy about that?
(I would like to ask the same to God of War fans but I won't seeing as this is a Gears thread)

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
So, no shake up ala GoW. Solid gameplay, and a looker, but just more of the same. I'll give it a try via gp... perhaps.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Betty I hope this game doesn't disappoint you since you bought an X for this. 85 is still a very good score though. Hope you find some value from Gamepass...

lol, hardly, I'm hyped to play though in co-op with my bro, which I haven't done all gen, and finally play Horde and versus which i've missed since the 360 days.

Plus I want to see all those 4K films I own on an actual 4K player on my 4K tv for once.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I feel like this is the case for many devs nowadays, and it is also the case for coalition. They got absolute mad skills, but they got no vision. They have no real sense of what makes a game perfect. They can only strike good because many of their ideas feel like they aim for working well enough. Perfection sits in the details imo. In how the levels are constructed and how everything is put into perfect place. There is something I really dislike about the new gears which is instant healing from teammates when down. I dont know if this has always been part of the franchise but to me t hat is bad game design and is a perfect example of the coalition and their lack of sense towards perfect game design. For good balance there would be an animation to help someone up but the player goes from down and injured instantly into standing up. And more refinements like that are missing from coalition's vision. Instead they have the typical bigger is better mentality. More money more investment should make the game better. No that is not the case

The game is probably fantastic but looking at footage this struck to me a lot.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
what a horrible precedent to set...

this was said when Crackdown and Sea of Thieves came in with middling scores. why are you lowering your expectations because "It's on Game Pass, who cares"

welcome to mediocrity if that's how you judge MS' game standards from now on.
MS' output has been mediocre for while now, which is why I haven't been invested into their ecosystem until PC Game Pass. To me Gears is another game on the service I subscribe to, and who made it or how hyped it is is irrelevant to me. If I don't like it then whatever, I'll play something else. Between Game Pass and free games from EGS I've got too much to play anyway.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how people can be disappointed with such a score. 90+ scores don't come just like that. These days games are scoring in the 90s only
If they offer sth groundbreaking or extremely polished. Yes it's a shame that MS doesn't have a single title that might be considered a masterpiece this gen but last time I remember, Gears 5 gave a pretty mediocre impression during E3 and even so in the end it appears to deliver. It appears to be the best non Forza MS game in a long while.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at work so I don't have enough time to skim every review, what do the major consensus points seem to be? Especially interested in the campaign.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
As a side note, I really hate it when developers try and get creative with the titling of long-running series.

This is Gears of War 5, people.

And Saints Row: The Third is Saints Row 3.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
I don't understand how people can be disappointed with such a score. 90+ scores don't come just like that. These days games are scoring in the 90s only
If they offer sth groundbreaking or extremely polished. Yes it's a shame that MS doesn't have a single title that might be considered a masterpiece this gen but last time I remember, Gears 5 gave a pretty mediocre impression during E3 but in the end it appears to deliver.

Forza Horizon are racing masterpieces

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys need to come to grips with the idea that the main utility and useful function of review scores in aggregate is identifying total stinkers. If you're in the 80+ range, then what it means and how much that game will resonate with you is completely up in the air and will come completely down to your taste and mood. There are many games over 90 MC that I don't think are very good.

When you get into the 90 range, the main function of MC is... frankly... It frequently is a hype/fandom barometer.

And beyond all that, even -- on occasion -- games marked as stinkers by MC are actually good games

Just sayin!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Woo meta 85 is solid! And a 9 from Swedish Gamereactor, with a 9 as the second opinion as well! They gave 4 an 8. One more day for Ultimate subscribers, can't wait to jump in!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm at work so I don't have enough time to skim every review, what do the major consensus points seem to be? Especially interested in the campaign.
Great Gears game but side missions that use the open-world stuff are a little sparse and lifeless. Also many reviews don't touch much on the MP side of things.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Which is just a completely stupid way to look at games. You see it with MLB The Show every year as well, its consistently excellent yet disregarded by everyone but the fans. This idea of story-driven, oscar bait archetypes for GOTY as the only games that count needs to st
Which is just a completely stupid way to look at games. You see it with MLB The Show every year as well, its consistently excellent yet disregarded by everyone but the fans. This idea of story-driven, oscar bait archetypes for GOTY as the only games that count needs to stop. Ultimately it should come down to which game you enjoyed the most, and that could be literally anything.
Yup but is where reviewers and the industry are currently. Look at Geoff with his pandering to Kojima. It is what it is.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Are people really implying that 85 is a disappointing score now?

Game looks great and is reviewing well. It improves on the formula without changing it drastically. Seems like a lock for mid to high 80s. Unless there was a great narrative hook that they weren't showing, this was never going to get 90+

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
With gamepass PC there's no reason not for me to play this. The only thing that scares me is the download size.

Should I even bother completing Gears 4? I gave up halfway. Might just watch the cutscenes on YT.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Games require a much larger investment of time and money than checking out a song or a movie does. It therefore makes sense that people would value reviews higher.

I don't think this encompasses it though. The scores are taken as metrics of quality first and foremost. I am typing on phone so can't go into it much, but I think looking at this in an essentially economic sense (as if 'rational actor' is what's at stake in art criticism, heh) alone is missing a lot of the cultural and social oddities gaming has as compared to other art forms.

Anyway: this thread has a world of curios and interesting language, can't dig through it all. So many assumptions, clichés, received wisdom and hedging. I wish I was a sociologist sometimes.