• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Forza Horizon is great, but when I say big guns I mean big AAA titles that steal all the headlines & gain significant mindshare. Forza doesn't do that.
That's exactly what I mean. It's a racing game so it doesn't count. It's a great game but it's racing so it doesn't matter how good it is or scores it's doesn't have an in depth story mode so it gets ignored.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good score, should be fun. I'm not really interested in the MP too much as I've established I'm really fucking bad at it but the SP should be fun and looks like some good action awaits!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realistically what's played more the MP or the SP?
I'm going to say the MP
But yeah you're right, all these scores are telling half the story imo

12 million people playing it at some point is now insignificant

Alright, Forza is a blockbuster AAA title that's stealing all the headlines and that's why Xbox is selling so well.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find the concept of video game reviews in general mystifying. Like if you were to review a clothes washer it can be based on fact alone. Product A cleans clothes better than product B and thus deserves a higher score. Games not so much.
Recently I played MGSV and I really struggled with it as the game is just not for me at all. On the flip side I just played a few hours of Crackdown 3 as it was on gamepass and have been having fun with it. But at the same time it would be silly to say Crackdown 3 is the better game of the two even though I enjoy it more.
Uh...so you don't believe in media criticism at all? Film reviews, music reviews, etc?

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
85? Great score. They'll be getting their bonuses then. Most bonuses linked to MC use 85 as the higher level bonus threshold so good news for them.

I imagine that the MP will nudge the provisional scored upwards slightly for things like IGN. So it'll land an 8.9 or 9.0.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we drop the conspiracy narrative? It's ok to say reviewers aren't consistent in their judgment or that you disagree with the values they score a game on. That's not the same as saying Sony has IGN in their back pocket or whatever nonsense you find in a comment section.

This was on the same page as your comment.

If this was Sony they wouldnt pull such shit... but since its MS hurray...

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I find the concept of video game reviews in general mystifying. Like if you were to review a clothes washer it can be based on fact alone. Product A cleans clothes better than product B and thus deserves a higher score. Games not so much.
Recently I played MGSV and I really struggled with it as the game is just not for me at all. On the flip side I just played a few hours of Crackdown 3 as it was on gamepass and have been having fun with it. But at the same time it would be silly to say Crackdown 3 is the better game of the two even though I enjoy it more.
Art criticism has existed as long as art has. It's not a new or mysterious concept.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Gears was never going to get above an 85. I sincerely don't know why they give these games to reviewers. It's not an artsy fartsy game. It's a game where you shoot aliens and swear

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds solid enough but I'll be honest, I can't help but feel like this further supports the idea that Coalition/343 can't quite reach the heights of 360 era Gears and Halo.

I don't really need another "great" Gears game myself after enjoying 1-3, I'll probably pass on this one.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Destructoid Review-In-Progress: "Evolution for evolution's sake"

destructoid remains to be one of the worst reviewers, god damn

"A lot of the campaign feels like a rehash of earlier Gears games" From Gamespot.

So do they say that for every sequel?

so one says its to different, and another says its too much of the same?!

what the heck

Feb 10, 2018
Holy shit haha

Now you're trying to passive aggressive insult me? You're too much man lol. Your love of UC is making you say some ridiculous things.

How's it a passive aggressive insult, when you ignore most of what I say and misrepresent what I say..

If you read what I post you would know UC4 is just an example other tps could be used to, and it does not need to be exactly like UC4, the animations would be different and the climbing and jumping mechanics don't have to be the same, you would know this if you read my post, you are being really over defensive for gears 5, and if u check my post history you will see I'm a big gears fan, u can see the great praise I've given gears 4.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed that it doesn't have a 90-metacritic but that's an irrational disappointment. The game will likely (from what I've seen) be a game of the gen experience from me. Will play it this weekend and hopefully enjoy it. And having said that, 85 metacritic is a very good score.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
How's it a passive aggressive insult, when you ignore most of what I say and misrepresent what I say..

If you read what I post you would know UC4 is just an example other tps could be used to, and it does not need to be exactly like UC4, the animations would be different and the climbing and jumping mechanics don't have to be the same, you would know this if you read my post, you are being really over defensive for gears 5, and if u check my post history you will see I'm a big gears fan, u can see the great praise I've given gears 4.

Overly defensive of Gears 5? You sure about that, bud? Care to point that out? Smh.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Why are you so mad? I'm just saying the community would know how good the multiplayer is more so than a reviewer who spends a handful of hours with the game while trying to meet a deadline. That's just common sense.
I understand that, it's a broken system. It's like reviewing a few episodes of a season of a show or half of a movie. You're not getting the entire picture by limiting a review to just 1 part of a game that is equally focused on the different aspects.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly what I mean. It's a racing game so it doesn't count. It's a great game but it's racing so it doesn't matter how good it is or scores it's doesn't have an in depth story mode so it gets ignored.

Which is just a completely stupid way to look at games. You see it with MLB The Show every year as well, its consistently excellent yet disregarded by everyone but the fans. This idea of story-driven, oscar bait archetypes for GOTY as the only games that count needs to stop. Ultimately it should come down to which game you enjoyed the most, and that could be literally anything.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Forza Horizon is great, but when I say big guns I mean big AAA titles that steal all the headlines & gain significant mindshare. Forza doesn't do that.
Alright, Forza is a blockbuster AAA title that's stealing all the headlines and that's why Xbox is selling so well.
stealing from who? Why can't they just be positive headlines, as Xbox has been doing the last year or more with all their initiatives? With new consoles around the corner Microsoft is building confidence with their current base of players.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Art criticism has existed as long as art has. It's not a new or mysterious concept.

I feel as though the slavish adherence to it by some within gaming is different, though (and that a lot of the criticism, as anywhere, is seriously poor).

Personally, I never read music reviews. Ever. They are meaningless to me, in terms of guiding my behaviour or learning from them. Almost completely meaningless in that sense. Films a little less so, but still not much there either. I don't not value them in terms of their being expressions of criticism and such, but rather they don't mean much to me.

I suspect this is fairly widespread, although of course not universal, nor should it be. Yet games reviews seem different to me: the attention paid is different, dramatically, to how other criticism works. Music is so vast you can never read a review and revel in whatever and it's not the point and nobody will care. If you're considering a modernist composer's position, sure, then you get more serious and pay.more attention, but these are two different fields that happen to share 'music'. Gaming still feels cloistered and limited and narrow in this sense. Maybe anecdotal, maybe too 'hardcore' focused.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I get this these reviews are somewhat underwhelming for a tent pole first party exclusive but with Game Pass who gives a shit? I'll play it this weekend and if I don't like it I can just drop it with absolutely no remorse. It's wonderful.

what a horrible precedent to set...

this was said when Crackdown and Sea of Thieves came in with middling scores. why are you lowering your expectations because "It's on Game Pass, who cares"

welcome to mediocrity if that's how you judge MS' game standards from now on.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
87 is a good score. Not a great score. But yes, Spider-Man was fantastic and much better than an 87.

As I'm sure many people will think Gears is a fantastic game and more deserving than the 8- the final MC score settles on. Perhaps don't take the numbers on a website so seriously? If you enjoyed the game and think it's fantastic, who is to say you're wrong?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But you can still wreck shit with a chainsaw gun. I don't understand the criticism, when that's still a core element of the Gears gameplay.
You should actually read the review. They state that the combat is still great but that the open world stuff is a gigantic pace breaker.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
As I'm sure many people will think Gears is a fantastic game and more deserving than the 8- the final MC score settles on. Perhaps don't take the numbers on a website so seriously? If you enjoyed the game and think it's fantastic, who is to say you're wrong?
That's the point I am making, lol.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I feel as though the slavish adherence to it by some within gaming is different, though (and that a lot of the criticism, as anywhere, is seriously poor).

Personally, I never read music reviews. Ever. They are meaningless to me, in terms of guiding my behaviour or learning from them. Completely meaningless. Films a little less so, but still not much. I don't not value them in terms of their being expressions of criticism and such, but more that I feel how they are treated is different, dramatically, to how games reviews are by my peers. Maybe anecdotal.
Games require a much larger investment of time and money than checking out a song or a movie does. It therefore makes sense that people would value reviews higher.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
destructoid remains to be one of the worst reviewers, god damn

so one says its to different, and another says its too much of the same?!

what the heck
From the reviews it sounds like there are very distinct sections where it either plays like old Gears or has the newer elements in it, with the newer stuff not showing up until later in the game.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

It isn't complicated. Reviews in aggregate give a fairly accurate estimation of how good a player will find a game. You can find individual reviewers whose past impressions match your own and get a good idea of how a future title will match your tastes.