• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

squilliedee

Jan 4, 2019
Weird times we are living in... If reviews arent perfect, all hype gets lost , its weird... hope to see some of you folks on line next week, cant wait to enjoy this game!!!

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
User Warned: Platform Warring
I asked the Waypoint reviewer on twitter and he replied that essentially it's too hard to find people to play with pre-release. I get that, but that's also why reviews should be "in-progress" and completed once you can or just wait and do the review once it's complete. This covering 1/3 of a game shit is nonsense.
If this was Sony they wouldnt pull such shit... but since its MS hurray...

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just so glad to see an Xbox first party game hang in there with the big guns. This is the first time we've seen this arguably for the entire generation.

Extremely positive sign of things to come.

Aug 23, 2018
MP playerbase in pre-release is pretty small and scattered around the world so what do you want reviewers - the people so many posts in this thread say suck at MP and it doesn't matter what they say about it - to do?

Look to my original statement- do what IGN is doing and split the scores with the intent of making an aggregate score after you had time to play all the different game modes? MP should've had enough people for them to play at least a few matches in each mode. If not, don't put up a review score without either making note it's campaign only or it's pending once you've had time to play.

Not a new concept at all, we've seen this since 2013-2014

Oct 28, 2017
Every game is repetitive, but only MGSV has the greatest gameplay in the history of gaming.

Shouldn't you be sticking to the topic here instead of peddling conspiracy theories about corrupt games journalists?

Seriously, there's a lot wrong with Metal Gear Solid V but its almost entirely related to the plot and story. Most notably how the plot is told from entirely from the point of view of Venom Snake (hell, the cutscene direction even does its best to maintain a single shot) and therefore leave a lot of other characters either MIA for huge stretches of time or entirely undeveloped. In other Metal Gear games you'd get a lot of cutscenes of Skull Face doing shit for instance but instead you see him in like three missions in total.

The gameplay itself is one of the few open world games where there's enough goofy hardware and mechanics that you can use some degree of lateral thinking to complete your missions. The Man on Fire boss is a pretty decent example, a lot of people ended up having the rain bail them out or using the water tanks but with some thinking you could ram him off the cliff with the jeep 80s action movie style, blast him into the pool by rigging the fuel tank with C4 and baiting him towards it, or blasting him with a water pistol. Not to mention its finally a Metal Gear game that doesn't feel remotely clunky at all and actual gameplay experience is really good even on pretty bad PCs.

The repetitiveness and general aimlessness of the gameplay is really mostly plot related in my opinion. The actual skeleton and mechanics of the gameplay is simply top notch.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About what I expected. Not reviewing horde mode in a Gears game is really werid though.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
giphy.gif

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people acting as if 86/85 isn't a good score...? If anything, it should be rather impressive considering this franchise is on its 6th entry (counting Judgement).

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone got really bad reviews and I ended up loving it, I have no doubt it'll be the same for Gears 5 which is getting good reviews so far.

But the actual gameplay is god-tier, that's the difference.

And I liked having an open world that wasn't just flooded with checklists and pointless collectibles.

MGSV deserved it's scores.

Yup, I agree on the gameplay part. It was great.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Good score, I didn't expect The Coalition to surpass the original trilogy anyway.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
Any game where I can blow some ugly abominations to gory bits with a Gnasher is a 10 to me

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
90 is always such an unrealistic place to set your expectations considering how many games actually get scores like that (not many). The OpenCritic 2019 hall of fame has only Resident Evil 2, Sekiro and Shadowbringers at 90 or higher. 3 games all year. Astral Chain, Control, Fire Emblem... all games currently being raved about and all in the mid (to high) 80s. That's good company to be in.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Gamespot & IGN score is provisional? I expect that to rise then.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Mid-80s which is expected...

Mid-80s is good, people. Come on, don't be salty.

I'll be in the heavens if my exam result is 85/100.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Will pick this up someday.

Still need to beat Gears 4.

I haven't gotten to read reviews yet, but have been skimming through the thread. I haven't seen any mention of this but for Gears of War, I think the series would have benefited from implementing some sort of contextual melee system and that Uncharted 4 and TLoU have. This would lead to a ton more dynamic gameplay moments. I mean it's Gears - they could do so much brutal stuff with a system like that

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Depends. On MC probably 30% and on Opencritic 50%
Gears 4 got in total 100 reviews.
Less than half. Many of those remaining will probably be weighted less in the Metacritic rankings though (quite why one person's opinion is weighted more than another on there is beyond me though).
Control had about 140 reviews in open critic. Gears 5 has 47 reviews right now.

So percentage-wise it still has a ways to go.

So it could get closer to 90 or 80.

Jan 15, 2018
Looks like it'll settle around 86 like I thought, really sounds like it would have been higher if that had nailed the more open areas.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
It's only 0.1 points away from being a good game on Opencritic. Come on good sis, you can!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I asked the Waypoint reviewer on twitter and he replied that essentially it's too hard to find people to play with pre-release. I get that, but that's also why reviews should be "in-progress" and completed once you can or just wait and do the review once it's complete. This covering 1/3 of a game shit is nonsense.
It just confirms what I've always said which is that unless it's a multiplayer only game, many critics basically just review and score the campaign with the multiplayer as an afterthought. But obviously multiplayer is anything but an afterthought in Gears, it's literally half the game, and the portion that will get by a gigantic mile the most hours spent on it compared to the one and gone campaign.

It doesn't affect me, as I'm primarily interested in the campaign. But for the Xbox division, it highlights the importance of having a strong campaign to back up your multiplayer game, or not having one at all. Luckily in this case it seems Coalition has delivered on both fronts with a very respectable MC score, and vast majority of reviews being 9+.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Happy to see all the positive reviews. Slightly lower than my prediction but still a great score.

I'm looking forward to playing this once I'm done with Control.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Scores look good, and I really enjoyed the feel of the gameplay in the tech test. Looking forward to tomorrow night!

Shame that it doesn't seem like the open world sections have panned out (at least for reviewers). I was skeptical on that, since I really disliked them in UC4 and LL. Was a waste of time in God of War as well. It works when the open world is the crux of the game, like Spiderman and RDR2, but it doesn't need to be in goddamn everything. It's okay to make a tight linear AAA game.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
The Gears series and Halo series are the ones i miss not having an Xbox all gen, I remember having a blast doing all Gears campaigns with friends in 1/2/3.

Good to see it still scores well.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Every game is repetitive, but only MGSV has the greatest gameplay in the history of gaming.

Shouldn't you be sticking to the topic here instead of peddling conspiracy theories about corrupt games journalists?
Can we drop the conspiracy narrative? It's ok to say reviewers aren't consistent in their judgment or that you disagree with the values they score a game on. That's not the same as saying Sony has IGN in their back pocket or whatever nonsense you find in a comment section.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Holy shit, Spider-Man was an 87? It was my game of the year last year (above God of War and AC:Odyssey). It was also one of my favorite games of this entire generation.

Just for comparison, in the Xbox 360/PS3 Gen I see that there were around 50 games with an MC score of 90 or above. For this gen I see about 30, and while this number might still grow, we're at the tail end of the gen, so we'll end up with a pretty significant reduction. So an 87 score is actually pretty good.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Lag sure, but define bad. Does a reviewer find it bad if they are not good at it?

Good or bad, MP has always been huge for gears, it should count for more than .5
It should count for alit more.

it's very possible and on more than one occasion Jeff Gerstmann would talk about he never found it fun to go into a Gears MP game and get Gnashered all day long.

If you're not into the MP and get half decent at the movement mechanics like wall bouncing and the shotgun play then it can be incredibly frustrating. shit, even the head of the studio Rod Fergusson struggled with it and for that very reason introduced the Retro Lancer and Sawed Off Shotgun to combat those who where much better at the game.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I literally answered your question in the very post you're quoting. Please if you can try to actually read and understand people's posts before responding to them. Unless of course you don't know what franchise or gameplay fatigue is, in which case I'll try to break it down in more layman's terms.

Essentially, many people get tired of or bored of the same old thing, so studios and developers often switch things up in more notable ways (such as the examples I gave in my post you responded to), especially if it's a sequel to a franchise that has been around for a while thus has more familiarity or fatigue. Studios/devs do this in order to give gamers more fresh and hopefully fun experiences that ideally don't seem too repetitive, samey or similar to experiences they've had in the past.
People are not tired of Uncharted.
People were not tired of Metal Gear Solid.
People were not tired of Assassin's Creed.
People are not tired of Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter.
People are not tired of Spider-man.
People begged Activision to go back to the boots to the ground Call of Duty series....dump Advanced Warfare.

I have been playing Mario since the late 80's, seen turn based RPG's from that era and still people want those in current day.

If Gears and Halo are not for you as they are currently being made, then that is fine. You cannot have a game for everyone.

To put it in layman's terms, you cannot effect changes into game play for the sake of it. Not in a game where multiplayer is core to the experience and longevity of the title. This is the reason why examples you give have no weight, not RE, not UC4. When they add competitive multiplayer, that is strong, that endures the test of time, you will have a point.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
These scores seem really good? Was nervous after seeing so little of the campaign but looks like my fears were unfounded from the previews and reviews

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see that the Coalition couldn't get the coveted 90, but 85 is absolutely a great score. It is weird to see some of the reviews ignoring all but the campaign though, but anyway. Congrats to the team, excited to play it.

Last edited: