• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I can't take a review of just a campaign seriously. Especially if that shit goes on metacritic and you half assed your job. No MP? No review. Wait goddamnit

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Obviously the game is good but people want a home run from a first party Microsoft title, it's not rocket science.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Man this review thread is great. All the things you expect. Console wars, saying if it wants to score more it should play more like this other game, "I only give my time to games with x score or above", gotta love the reset era tropes. Game looks beautiful and I love gears gameplay. So satisfying and visceral. Even better it's on game pass the value on that service is unmatched. Looking like a great start to a fun fall lineup of video games.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this review thread is great. All the things you expect. Console wars, saying if it wants to score more it should play more like this other game, "I only give my time to games with x score or above", gotta love the reset era tropes. Game looks beautiful and I love gears gameplay. So satisfying and visceral. Even better it's on game pass the value on that service is unmatched. Looking like a great start to a fun fall lineup of video games.
As long as I get my Heaven smashing 90+ Doom Eternal I'm happy.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people crying bout the crying are just as bad when half of them are just latching onto the one random post saying it's a flop.
Nope, because its not a flop, thats factually incorrect. It should be pointed out as it has no purpose but to derail and misrepresent its critical reception.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Why do so many sites straight up ignore the multiplayer? A good chunk of these score should be tagged as a campaign only score. I can appreciate IGN splitting them so they have time to actually play the parts of the game that the vast majority of Gears fans care about.

MP playerbase in pre-release is pretty small and scattered around the world so what do you want reviewers - the people so many posts in this thread say suck at MP and it doesn't matter what they say about it - to do?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Monetization concerns aside, Gears 5 is the perfect Gears of War experience. The Gears 5 campaign delivers everything fans would want from a Gears of War story, with shocking moments, epic set-pieces, and actual character development for a change. Multiplayer and Horde offer compelling experiences that will keep players engaged for the long-term, and the promise of free DLC (like Batista as a playable character, for instance) should ensure that the game has even more legs than past Gears of War titles. After the slightly disappointing Gears of War 4, Gears 5 shows that the series is back with a vengeance, with what is the best Gears of War game yet.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
'course

I am actually fundamentally against review scores - how can I on earth quantify my fun?!

;)

There are 2 DF vids - mine covering the PC, and john is doing the full treatment on consoles. We also have a tech interview going up separately.

A man of great taste, new review scores is the dream! Make people read reviews to get a sense of what you think is the way forward.

HYPE! Excited for all, but the PC video is the one I'm really looking forward to. I want to see the game running with all the bells and whistles.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Because someone said that Gears should change its controls and cited UC4.
Gears controls extremely tightly, feels great to play.

The only problem I ever have had so far is a conceit tons of games have that map a single button to multiple actions based on context. A couple times I would pick up a weapon instead of doing something else I wanted to do.

IMO, a game designed around a keyboard would not have that happen.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
From Game Rant on Horde mode:

Horde mode also returns, and it offers the most value out of all the game modes besides the campaign. This time around, Horde has a lot more enemy variety, even reaching back to Gears of War 4 enemies that aren't seen in the Gears 5 campaign to keep players on their toes. Every 10 waves is punctuated by an intense boss encounter that will push players to their limits and offer a genuine challenge, forcing them to think strategically about how they spend their points on upgrades and the like.

Oh my god, this sounds amazing. I love Horde mode, my favourite mode in Gears.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's not bad, but it's definitely disappointing. Microsoft's first party stable really needs a standout title. And given the chances at it are few and far between (or have been over the last few years given limited AAA releases), it's particularly disappointing when another one fails to meet that standard. It's also particularly disappointing because Sony and Nintendo's first party efforts have been on a hot streak, and have fairly consistently reached higher standards. People like me just want to see Gears or Halo achieve something on the level of GOW 2018 or Zelda BOTW, basically. Does it need to? I guess not, but it sure would be rad.

GOW was early 2018, though. By your logic, there's no 'hot streak' from Sony since Spider-Man landed at 87, lower than the 88 that Ori sits at, Detroit and Days Gone are in the 70s. But ask many here and you'll hear that many of these games are much better than the pictures their metacritic scores paint them as. Days Gone and Detroit have tons of fans here.

Read reviews. Decide which one falls more in line with your tastes. And then play the game for yourself and judge. Especially when you see the common theme in these reviews is that many critics wanted the gameplay to change drastically just to be new.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
giphy.gif

What's wrong? You don't put food on your family? How do you expect them to eat?!

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Just to add on,I'm starting to take most of these reviews as for the campaign and other modes are just icing. Imagine halo multiplayer was just a mode that you can ignore.

Plus the idea of big or overhaul change is never good on an established franchise that have a larger multiplayer fan base . Halo 4 was the biggest departure with load outs and perks (reviewers said it was a great change for the multiplayer) and look at what happen. What if counter strike went for a more realistic shooting model, imaging the outrage of that.

For the people saying look at god of war. It was one of my most disappointments of last year. Yeah the combat was fun and different in the beginning but it just became dull later on. Solve a puzzle, fight mobs rinse and repeat. The boss fights were ehh due to some the repetitive fights (looking at you trolls). The story was fine but the journey to it was unfulfilled.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Neither of those two games had a MP element to it. A complete revamp of Halo and Gears would mean a complete revamp to their MP system, which isn't going to happen as it would completely alienate existing fans of the franchise. And like I said, maybe play the game before calling it disappointing. Reviews aren't everything.
I don't think it's true at all that they would need to revamp the MP. Why would it force their hand to do that? And what if they did? Why is that a sacred untouchable thing? I don't get your train of thought at all here. And yeah, it's always better to play the game to judge for ourselves, but that's not an option at the moment. The reception can be disappointing in and of itself. It sure is disappointing to me! I wanted this to make an impact. I thought the marketing campaign was very lackluster, and knowing Gears 4 didn't sell quite well enough last time, I was rooting for them to learn from the mistakes on that one and make a big impact with this. After low-key marketing and buzz, the previews seemed to reverse the steam and I was excited. Reviews are like a cold shower, even if it's true that the game might still be great. I just don't think these reviews will help it much.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Nope, because its not a flop, thats factually incorrect. It should be pointed out as it has no purpose but to derail and misrepresent its critical reception.

It was clearly a bait/troll post so giving it attention doesn't help at all. That's worse than people focusing on Gamespot genuinely giving the game a 7.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's not a bad score, but...the first three games scored in the 90's. Hopes were high that this would bring the series back to those glory days.

I mean look at the prediction thread. Over 70% of people thought it would score higher than this.

I rather think review scores are a commentary on current thinking rather than a relative measure of a game.

Trends move and shift. I think Gears has evolved which probably irks those who loved the old games but seemingly hasn't moved enough to warrant a return to former glory for those looking for more.

Its scoring really well and looks a solid game - which is what you'd expect of something that has been iterated on over 3 years. I think HI will need to be bolder given the time it has had.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
What's weird is how so many of those games are super cliche. Like, God of War, right? Pretty standard current-gen Dark Souls control scheme, pretty typical current-gen map, pretty typical rainbow loot system (white/green/blue/purple/orange/etc), pretty typical three-tier skill system, and so on and so forth. Mechanically, there's not a lot of excellence there. But then you have reviewers going "wow it's a contiguous camera, a single shot game, no one's ever done this before" like Dead Space 2 didn't do that all the way back in 2011. That was the most critically acclaimed video game of 2017 and literally nothing it was doing was new, it was just very pretty and very self-serious. It played okay, I guess? But you had people acting like the single-shot thing was some Huge Achievement.

But if you actually go look at what most of those people said about it, it's like "wow, it did this thing, that's really new." They just kinda parroted the marketing about how it was a cool idea.

It certainly feels like a game being self-important and pretending to do something new is a big deal. Those gamescom awards were so weird. There was that horror game, Gylt, that was pretending that a horror game about guilt had never been done before (Silent Hill 2 exists, folks, and the theme is pretty common in horror movies, like The Ritual on Netflix), or Hideo Kojima basically standing on stage claiming he invented sidequests. There were a couple others where people seemed to be taking tried and true concepts and pretending they were some remarkable leap forward and it was just odd.

But people buy that.

So we're seeing these Gears reviews where people seem to be going "is this new? no? if it's not new, it's bad." That's weird. It's a weird standard.

Is it excellent at what it does? That's all that matters.

Pretty much this.

I don't trust reviewers one bit. And after the MGSV fiasco, Damn. That game didn't deserve a 10 nor a 8.

Finished GOW when it came out and my brother couldn't finish it. Beside the graphics I didn't get what the fuss was about.

I buy games because I like them, not because someone else's like or dislike them.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
The critique that it is "gears" - is for me an incredibly silly critique point. If you apply that to any other game and genre then it becomes silly I think. Docking points for a flight sim ... since it is a flight sim.

IMO, approach a game on its terms and what it sets out to do, and evaluate it from there - then maybe theorise above and beyond its horizon to see what other games could be made from that content.
What? Stagnation, which is what the "It's Gears" comments are getting at, is a perfectly valid criticism, and it's not exclusive to Gears either. It's especially weird this is brought up because we are talking about a game that is reviewing very well.

May 25, 2019
London
It's not a bad score, but...the first three games scored in the 90's. Hopes were high that this would bring the series back to those glory days.

I mean look at the prediction thread. Over 70% of people thought it would score higher than this.

Those were different times. It was inventing/re-inventing the cover shooter genre at the time. People expect more now

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes this quote killed my hype:

"Gears of War 5 isn't a bad game, it's just the worst game in the series (I quite liked Judgement). It promised to bring new ideas to the series, and it does, but to the detriment of the game as a whole with how poorly designed they all are. The open-world levels are empty and boring, the story is lackluster after a great first act, and the new Escape mode is a fleeting distraction at best. Gears of War needs changes, but not like this."

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Shouldn't have read so many pages of this thread :p

I think game reviews should always review the full game, and yes, this includes multiplayer. How is this not a standard? It's simply because people want to get the scores out to generate the clicks. Why not call it a 'review in progress' then? Too little sites are doing it. The multiplayer an important component of the game after all. Gears 5 is launching with a LOT of content and if games can get lower scores for 'too little content', shipping with such a complete package should also be praised.

Also, I've been saying again and again that a score system of 0-5 is much, much better. Gears is obviously a clear candidate for 4/5. It's a great game, way above average, but probably not an ultimate game of the gen 5/5 contender. That being said, I hope Gears 5 can still creep up a little towards the 90s mark on MC. I can't take that 6/10 score seriously, for instance.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

"Gears of War 5 isn't a bad game, it's just the worst game in the series (I quite liked Judgement). It promised to bring new ideas to the series, and it does, but to the detriment of the game as a whole with how poorly designed they all are. The open-world levels are empty and boring, the story is lackluster after a great first act, and the new Escape mode is a fleeting distraction at best. Gears of War needs changes, but not like this."

That's the only review that has said it's worse than 4, so I wouldn't exactly put all your eggs in that basket.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
GOW was early 2018, though. By your logic, there's no 'hot streak' from Sony since Spider-Man landed at 87, lower than the 88 that Ori sits at, Detroit and Days Gone are in the 70s. But ask many here and you'll hear that many of these games are much better than the pictures their metacritic scores paint them as. Days Gone and Detroit have tons of fans here.

Read reviews. Decide which one falls more in line with your tastes. And then play the game for yourself and judge. Especially when you see the common theme in these reviews is that many critics wanted the gameplay to change drastically just to be new.

Hmm, see I hold new IP to a different standard than existing franchises. If the new GOW got an 85 and was following the same formula as the previous ones, I would have called it disappointing, because the room temperature was that people were tired of that franchise and that it needed a shakeup. If the general word was "heh, it's more GOW", that would have been disappointing. Now, if we're looking at Spider-Man or Horizon as new IPs (and I agree about Detroit and Days Gone not being part of that hot streak), I think it's more impressive for those to be in the high 80s. It just doesn't come with the sting of "it's good but we're tired of these", basically. I don't think the score alone is what you need to look at, of course, but context really matters. I'm more worried about the reviews saying it's just more Gears than I am about the score.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty much this.

I don't trust reviewers one bit. And after the MGSV fiasco, Damn. That game didn't deserve a 10 nor a 8.

Finished GOW when it came out and my brother couldn't finish it. Beside the graphics I didn't get what the fuss was about.

I buy games because I like them, not because someone else's like or dislike them.

I don't trust them at all but that's because they over score virtually all big AAA franchise games, not because they underrate them. Gears 4 is a prime example, a safe Gears game that was nothing special is sitting at 84.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It really wouldn't hurt to have a new character feel a little bit different to play.

Watching these reviews and seeing that same animation for picking up ammo that I've seen, no exaggeration, a million times took me back to that feeling of boredom playing Gears 4. It makes me feel like I'm going to be bored again playing this.

Look at all the 3D Zeldas apart from Majora. All of these games feel unique when you move around in them.

Well, we're different.

I cannot imagine how the character animated having a massive impact on how engaged I am in the world and action around my character, but to each their own.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Any mention on whether we can switch shoulders for aiming on the fly or is the only way I'm gonna aim left handed gonna be when I pop out of the left side of cover?

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
So, so glad to hear they didn't shoehorn Horde more into the campaign again. I hated those sections in 4 with a passion.

Can't wait to try this tomorrow night!

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019

These reviews are just weird...... all over the place