• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform Wars, Trolling, History of the Same
It's funny how 5 of the 90+ scores are from Xbox sites propping the score up.

Aug 23, 2018
Why do so many sites straight up ignore the multiplayer? A good chunk of these score should be tagged as a campaign only score. I can appreciate IGN splitting them so they have time to actually play the parts of the game that the vast majority of Gears fans care about.

Still excited about seeing so many 9's and overall positive reviews from the sites I care about though!

Some of you in this thread disappoint the fuck out of me though. This fanboy bullshit is so pathetic.
Seeing some of the normal negative, whiny posters talking about what can and can't be considered game of the year based on looking at a number is fucking weird. You certainly haven't played the game yourself. Hell, there is no way some of you even had time to actually read a review based on the sheer number of posts made in less than an hour. My ignore list has doubled since this morning.

Be better, ERA.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It's not bad, but it's definitely disappointing. Microsoft's first party stable really needs a standout title. And given the chances at it are few and far between (or have been over the last few years given limited AAA releases), it's particularly disappointing when another one fails to meet that standard. It's also particularly disappointing because Sony and Nintendo's first party efforts have been on a hot streak, and have fairly consistently reached higher standards. People like me just want to see Gears or Halo achieve something on the level of GOW 2018 or Zelda BOTW, basically. Does it need to? I guess not, but it sure would be rad.

Neither of those two games had a MP element to it. A complete revamp of Halo and Gears would mean a complete revamp to their MP system, which isn't going to happen as it would completely alienate existing fans of the franchise. And like I said, maybe play the game before calling it disappointing. Reviews aren't everything.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
if you search "horde" "pvp" "escape" you get no hits in that review and it's not "in progress". You're reviewing less than half the game, wtf is up with this? So many of these reviews completely ignore then multiplayer side of things.

That's how it usually goes as there often aren't enough players when they review to get a good idea of how MP works.

MP might get a review down the line, but I wouldn't expect it.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
That's how it usually goes as there often aren't enough players when they review to get a good idea of how MP works.

MP might get a review down the line, but I wouldn't expect it.
Which is insane to me, it's a huge part of the game. You can't just ignore it because reviewing it is too hard or something, that's ridiculous.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm not wrong though, as evident by the review score.
And just in case u or others have not followed my posts I'm talking about how gears can crack 90 mc.
It shouldn't have to be like God of War or whatever third person Sony game you're talking about to crack a 90.

I'm pretty convinced if Gears of War 1 came out today for the first time, these reviewers would still give it a 80-85 score. It's not about the game it's the time period. These people know the type of games they "consider 90+" and it feels like to them Gears is not worthy.

I rather Gears get a 79 than try to be an Oscar bait Video game equivalent.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews are great imo. Really hyped for this one and can't wait to play it tomorrow. But I also thought Gears 4 was amazing, so what do I know.

Maybe people should stop just looking at scores and read the damn reviews. Or even better, play the game and make up your own mind

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Dont care. Does it look pretty?!
'course
Dictator - 7/10

Add it to Metacritic!!

I'm honestly super excited for the DF video, when can we expect it?

I am actually fundamentally against review scores - how can I on earth quantify my fun?!

;)

There are 2 DF vids - mine covering the PC, and john is doing the full treatment on consoles. We also have a tech interview going up separately.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Now that it's at 85 rather than 84, this game has gone from being disappointing to great and the developers will get a bonus and afford to put food on their family.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. This is hilarious.

No matter how you change those animations, you'll still be hit with the same comments in reviews.

"It plays like Gears"

People keep complaining about familiarity when there's limited room to change. It's a third person cover shooter, and you can't drastically change things up without ruining your customer base and alienating fans. It's as simple as that.

Looks like reviewers pretty much reserve honors for predominantly story driven, SP games.

What's weird is how so many of those games are super cliche. Like, God of War, right? Pretty standard current-gen Dark Souls control scheme, pretty typical current-gen map, pretty typical rainbow loot system (white/green/blue/purple/orange/etc), pretty typical three-tier skill system, and so on and so forth. Mechanically, there's not a lot of excellence there. But then you have reviewers going "wow it's a contiguous camera, a single shot game, no one's ever done this before" like Dead Space 2 didn't do that all the way back in 2011. That was the most critically acclaimed video game of 2017 and literally nothing it was doing was new, it was just very pretty and very self-serious. It played okay, I guess? But you had people acting like the single-shot thing was some Huge Achievement.

But if you actually go look at what most of those people said about it, it's like "wow, it did this thing, that's really new." They just kinda parroted the marketing about how it was a cool idea.

It certainly feels like a game being self-important and pretending to do something new is a big deal. Those gamescom awards were so weird. There was that horror game, Gylt, that was pretending that a horror game about guilt had never been done before (Silent Hill 2 exists, folks, and the theme is pretty common in horror movies, like The Ritual on Netflix), or Hideo Kojima basically standing on stage claiming he invented sidequests. There were a couple others where people seemed to be taking tried and true concepts and pretending they were some remarkable leap forward and it was just odd.

But people buy that.

So we're seeing these Gears reviews where people seem to be going "is this new? no? if it's not new, it's bad." That's weird. It's a weird standard.

Is it excellent at what it does? That's all that matters.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
if you search "horde" "pvp" "escape" you get no hits in that review and it's not "in progress". You're reviewing less than half the game, wtf is up with this? So many of these reviews completely ignore then multiplayer side of things.

That was the first thing I noticed about it. Really poor form from Waypoint. No mention of multiplayer at all. Half the game doesn't even come into the equation for Waypoint which is pretty bizarre.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the one thing I will never understand. Change the gameplay to what exactly? And why should there be a revolution in what Microsoft does with Gears or Halo for a title to really have a 90+ rating?

I have always asked one question i.e. why are you making a change? That leads one to ask how users will interact with the game, especially on titles that have multiplayer embedded on every aspect of how the game plays. Why these games when there are long running titles that have not changed their formula but do not meet the same criticism? Metal Gear? Uncharted? Resident Evil? Devil May Cry?

Because franchise and gameplay fatigue is a thing. Also, the foundation of some games simply lend better to iteration and sequels than others.

To your point, MGSV, RE7 and UC4 all offered pretty notable changes in their subsequent releases. MGS went fully open world, RE7 went first person, and UC4 added open ended environments as well as gameplay tweaks that changed up environmental and combat mobility, not to mention a complete overhaul of gunplay. Even DMC5, whilst iterative, still has you playing as 3 completely different characters with entirely different gameplay mechanics.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll tell ya what the problem is. Look at the animations. The roadie run. The rolling. That plonk into cover. Even picking up ammo.

This shit hasn't changed since 2006. It's always going to feel like the same game I played 5 times before, no matter what gimmicks you dress it with.
Wow you're right, I'm gonna go email TC now.
Step 1: Screw over your loyal fanbase and completely change the way the game plays on a fundamental level
Step 2: See whether you get the fabled 90+MC
Step 3: whatdiditcostthanos.gif

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Objectively if the multiplayer component is as good as prior and even with added content, then this game is easily around a 90 level score for the overall game content. The single player campaign only games are on the shelf after a week of binge playing, so having awesome continued gaming content should definitely bump up scores on a game like this it would seem.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Running is super awkward. Jumping over cover is too and picking up ammo is old ass shit nobody wants. Throwing grenades is clunky too. I have so many issues with TD2s loot system but the game plays so well. Gears needs to get better no excuses.
Let's see how this game sells, I bet a lot of people like that part of the game, if not, they would be playing those other TPSs.

Its like people saying "nobody" wants turn based combat in pokemon.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
18 reviews >90
9 reviews >80
3 reviews with 60/100 70/100 and 73/100

so far on Metacritic.

People need to chill, the whole threads read likes the Crackdown or Days Gone review threads lol
You dare to bring MATH to a reviews thread?!?! HAVE YOU NO DECENCY?! If we're not hearing pontificating wildly about arbitrary numbers, then what the hell are we even doing here??

Lol. This is hilarious.

No matter how you change those animations, you'll still be hit with the same comments in reviews.

"It plays like Gears"

People keep complaining about familiarity when there's limited room to change. It's a third person cover shooter, and you can't drastically change things up without ruining your customer base and alienating fans. It's as simple as that.
Yep.. It's actually interesting that some reviewers are essentially saying "You know.. yea.. the linear parts and the core gameplay are really, really good. Imagine that. HUH." New stuff is awesome (and I'm SUPER pumped to skiff around and poke around the open world at my own pace - rather than on the time crunch that I'm sure these reviewers were under), but I think these scores prove that Gears isn't anywhere near as tired as people seem to think it is lol. What's surprised me the most are the people who came in pretty negative and/or dismissive of Gears overall who ended up blown away by this game on the other side. Skill Up is a great example.

Let's see how this game sells, I bet a lot of people like that part of the game, if not, they would be playing those other TPSs.

Its like people saying "nobody" wants turn based combat in pokemon.
FUCK Pokemon. Get that weak old-ass TIRED, PLAYED OUT franchise out of here. Nobody wants to select options from a MENU. What the fuck is that story? Oh I gotta catch them all? PFFTTT.

/s. Look, ma. I can be reductive and dismissive about a beloved and healthy franchise with a huge active playerbase too!

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that it's at 85 rather than 84, this game has gone from being disappointing to great and the developers will get a bonus and afford to put food on their family.

giphy.gif

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Some of these replies I legit can't say if they are trolling or not. Because fucking hell, you can't be serious with some of that shit.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

If the game gets an 87 it will be a GOTY contender, if it stays at an 85 it's a middling mess and Xbox will need to "go back to the drawing board"

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
Great scores so far. Congrats!

Haven't played a Gears game since 2 (don't remember if I played 3), so I'm hoping this game will wow me like 1 did.

May 17, 2018
Looking at the reviews so far...I just think to myself, WHAT THE HELL DO PEOPLE WANT FROM THE GEARS FRANCHISE? From what I have watched and read, it has everything in it and it runs at 60fps with amazing graphics? It's play anywhere, it is in Gamepass on PC and Xbox, it plays amazingly, it has tons of content, both single and multiplayer....The knocks on it are so petty and hypocritical IMO.

I hear you, but, to be fair, simply having tons of B+ content isn't the same as having less but constant A+ content. Jack of all trades, master of none kinda thing.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I only played first gears back in the day and it was pretty challenging and i am getting this one, but are you saying each game was getting easier and easier?

Not exactly. The first one was more difficult, then two was somewhat easier and since then they've all hovered around that mark, though I haven't played Judgment (I hate Baird). Of course you can change the game difficulty in the options but it's not quite the same.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Lol. This is hilarious.

"It plays like Gears"

Looks like reviewers pretty much reserve honors for predominantly story driven, SP games.

How many shooters have crossed the 90% benchmark this gen?
It really wouldn't hurt to have a new character feel a little bit different to play.

Watching these reviews and seeing that same animation for picking up ammo that I've seen, no exaggeration, a million times took me back to that feeling of boredom playing Gears 4. It makes me feel like I'm going to be bored again playing this.

Look at all the 3D Zeldas apart from Majora. All of these games feel unique when you move around in them.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's weird is how so many of those games are super cliche. Like, God of War, right? Pretty standard current-gen Dark Souls control scheme, pretty typical current-gen map, pretty typical rainbow loot system (white/green/blue/purple/orange/etc), pretty typical three-tier skill system, and so on and so forth. Mechanically, there's not a lot of excellence there. But then you have reviewers going "wow it's a contiguous camera, a single shot game, no one's ever done this before" like Dead Space 2 didn't do that all the way back in 2011. That was the most critically acclaimed video game of 2017 and literally nothing it was doing was new, it was just very pretty and very self-serious. It played okay, I guess? But you had people acting like the single-shot thing was some Huge Achievement.

But if you actually go look at what most of those people said about it, it's like "wow, it did this thing, that's really new." They just kinda parroted the marketing about how it was a cool idea.

It certainly feels like a game being self-important and pretending to do something new is a big deal. Those gamescom awards were so weird. There was that horror game, Gylt, that was pretending that a horror game about guilt had never been done before (Silent Hill 2 exists, folks, and the theme is pretty common in horror movies, like The Ritual on Netflix), or Hideo Kojima basically standing on stage claiming he invented sidequests. There were a couple others where people seemed to be taking tried and true concepts and pretending they were some remarkable leap forward and it was just odd.

But people buy that.

So we're seeing these Gears reviews where people seem to be going "is this new? no? if it's not new, it's bad." That's weird. It's a weird standard.

Bingo.

What happened to games being fun?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The critique that it is "gears" - is for me an incredibly silly critique point. If you apply that to any other game and genre then it becomes silly I think. Docking points for a flight sim ... since it is a flight sim.

IMO, approach a game on its terms and what it sets out to do, and evaluate it from there - then maybe theorise above and beyond its horizon to see what other games could be made from that content.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Objectively if the multiplayer component is as good as prior and even with added content, then this game is easily around a 90 level score for the overall game content. The single player campaign only games are on the shelf after a week of binge playing, so having awesome continued gaming content should definitely bump up scores on a game like this it would seem.
Why are the scores separated in the first place? The full package includes mp