• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
ACG gave it a "Buy" but definitely a muted recommendation. While he praised the game play and multiplayer, points were deducted for story and open world areas (which seems to be a common theme among the reviews).

Excellent Story driven games is not Microsoft's agenda anymore. Its about making games that fit into the Gamepass service agenda. Not really a shocker there, I really miss the old Xbox days of yore.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
People won't bitch around if is well made. God of War and BotW are good examples. A lot of things changed, but the core didn't. Point is how to change your game while maintaning the essence. Not a easy thing to do, but not impossible.

If you take a closer look at how Halo has changed, even between the Bungie games, you'll find a world of views. Gears is apparently too safe, changes too much. I don't think anyone can say it's badly made.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Watched Ninjas stream last night. I want to play this damn game, havent played Gears since 3 so even if it did look kind of samey I havent played it in years. Dont have an xbox though, shame.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
MS should not give out any review keys for their games anymore. With Game Pass, anyone can try for himself anyway.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
seems like fans will love it. those that never liked the formula or grew tired of it will be disappointed with no meaningful changes to the core gameplay.

i fall into the second camp. going in expecting a pretty but not amazing campaign. (no sarcasm) thank god for gamepass!

Feb 10, 2018
63wzvzJ.jpg

I guess it will finish somewhere similar to Gears 4...

It's interesting that the series has been on a dowards trajectory with reviews scores.
I proves my point, "formula fatigue" is a thing.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
And this is why people are saying "only" 85% (so far).

This was one of the Xbox franchises. Now the newest 2 are a bit better than Judgement...

As an old Gears 1-3 fan this blows.

Yes, according to reviews.

I'm sorry but for me Gears of War 4 isn't "a bit" better, it's in a totally different league of its own. I didn't even finish Judgment. It's all about what you think of it, and I am willing to bet I will like 5 a lot more than Judgment.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
And this is why people are saying "only" 85% (so far).

This was one of the Xbox franchises. Now the newest 2 are a bit better than Judgement...

As an old Gears 1-3 fan this blows.
You act like those reviews matter for your own enjoyment. I recently played through all of them and once the nostalgia is gone I enjoyed playing 4 by far the most. Don't worry what others say so much.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was not the one who said Gears controlled like ass though?
I said uncharted controlled like ass. Which it does compared to the fluid, fast and functional gears movement.

Uncharted/Last of Us wants to be punchy and realistic. Good to look at but in a competitive or game play environment not great.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want all of you Gears fans to know that Uncharted The Lost Legacy is sitting on a 84 MC and it is better than Uncharted 4 (93 MC), so yeah... dont freak out lol

I much preferred UC4. TLL whilst solid, for me lacked the same globe trotting sense of adventure, the same degree of spectacle and also as much narrative poignancy.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well good enough I guess.
Anything lower than this would have been a disappointment, lets be honest. Now, can't wait.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that we had some over 90 games doesn't change what i said. It's very very hard to reach that goal and only some of the best team in the world were able to do it. Nintendo , ND , Kojima productions , Capcom , Santa Monica , R* are ( part of ) the excellence of this industry.

Ok but I just named 8 franchises with 4+ games each with the latest entry over 90 this gen. Gears is supposed to be an MS pillar IP just like all those other franchises are pillars for their respective publisher, its not my fault MS didnt hire a "world class" developer to make Gears games. Same for Halo. At least Playground is hitting the mark consistently

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Gears would have turned into a horror-ish series like what we got a taste of in 1. That would surely bring in the 90+ scores.

Oh yeah I remember a couple of the scenes where you'd kick a door open and you get the Psycho shower sound effect and a couple of hung bodies or a massacre. Wonder what would happen if they ramped the difficulty back up to 1's too.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
im playing through the campaign of the other games, not done with 2-4 yet. But I should be able to jump here for MP right?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
True when viewed in vacuum, but I'd say changing tastes and trends in the game industry are likely a bigger culprit to Gears 5's lower score than the actual comparative quality of the game.
Agreed with this whole-heartedly.

I still think Gears 4 was pretty close in quality to the original trilogy, but the Gears-style shooter just isn't really en vogue anymore. I saw a lot of people dismiss Gears 4 as "just another Gears game" and not bother trying it or paint the similarity to the original trilogy as a negative.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I want all of you Gears fans to know that Uncharted The Lost Legacy is sitting on a 84 MC and it is better than Uncharted 4 (93 MC), so yeah... dont freak out lol

I never understood why TLL got such low scores, especially compared to UC4. I remember many reviewers subtracting points because to them it felt and played so much like UC4, and not much new was happening. But TLL wasn't supposed to be UC5, at first it wasn't even supposed to be a stand alone game. Bringing back what all the reviewers loved one year prior in UC4 and even improving upon that in several areas, how can that be worse?

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
True when viewed in vacuum, but I'd say changing tastes and trends in the game industry are likely a bigger culprit to Gears 5's lower score than the actual comparative quality of the game.

Yup. People are just over it. I mean, most reviews aren't even reviewing the full game here, just the campaign. But I guess that doesn't matter when most reviewers won't even give a fuck about multi.

Though some might care about horde mode.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
It seems like some people thought that just b/c the game was adding some bigger spaces and a vehicle you can control freely that guaranteed it a 90+ rating. Kind of silly.

I just dont understand why you're gloating on people's hope? Like you get joy in dragging people for hoping to having a good metacritic score. I mean, what do you get out if this? Is this all you have to look forward to?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Scores, reviews seem solid. I'm going to probably wait till next gen to play tho.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I wonder if scores would be slightly different if all the reviewers were playing on an X or a PC.

Playing this game in 30 fps isn't really the most ideal way to do it.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok but I just named 8 franchises with 4+ games each with the latest entry over 90 this gen. Gears is supposed to be an MS pillar IP just like all those other franchises are pillars for their respective publisher, its not my fault MS didnt hire a "world class" developer to make Gears games. Same for Halo. At least Playground is hitting the mark consistently
To be fair, Sony can't make a good multiplayer game let alone shooter to save their life.

Apparently neither can the 3rd parties anymore(except Doom).

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For me personally Gears 4 was just ok. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the first 3 games. And i played them trilogy again last year. THe games are still amazing. Ok, gears 1 is a bit dated but i had more fun than with 4.

I hope 5 is more like the first 3 and not more of gears 4.

You act like those reviews matter for your own enjoyment. I recently played through all of them and once the nostalgia is gone I enjoyed playing 4 by far the most. Don't worry what others say so much.

I don't.

4 was ok/good enough but not nearly as good as 2 or 3. And i played them all again last year.

The old trilogy rocks.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The benefit of people saying "meh" for 80's score, they can spend a few $ and play it on game pass and see if their personal opinion raises it by a few points, or if the review was accurate to their own personal thoughts. Dropping $60 to play a "Meh" game instantly makes people avoid it but Game Pass really lets people try out games that they may normally skip over. If they base all of their choices on review scores and MC numbers of course,

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Remove multiplayer, put all the effort in the campaing, a graphical showcase at 30 fps and 90+ guaranteeed. Fortunately Microsoft is different.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Not gonna disagree, but it was different from the other Gears games. They tried and people didn't like it, so go back to the previous formula and evolve from there.

But it was never going to be a new direction for Gears. It was just a prequel game that tried to stand out from the trilogy by doing a few new things. I don't even think it had typical Gears game budget and was made with less resources.

All I'm saying is that its new ideas that were cool didn't make up for all the underwhelming aspects of the game.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
It seems like some people thought that just b/c the game was adding some bigger spaces and a vehicle you can control freely that guaranteed it a 90+ rating. Kind of silly.
Maybe more like people thought a rock solid campaign and an insane amount of content released right off the bat would warrant higher scores?

Either way, the game isn't reviewing bad, just not as well as I'd have liked. But it is gears, so it'll always be divisive.

Feb 10, 2018
If you're asking me personally, I'd make far more of the cover destructible, forcing you to keep mobile and moving. I'd also offer more mobility options, for example an Incredible Hulk style super jump boost option that's on some sort of timer (have it linked to a special suit and upgradeable). Possibly also a cable cast that allows you to zip line onto stuff, that is also on a timer.

Essentially more abilities and tools to give players more freedom of choice and movement, as well as level design that's far more expansive, with more verticality and pathways, as well as AI that better navigates it.

This stuff doesn't necessarily even have to be incorporated into the MP, but at least put it in the campaign to open things up and make things potentially more fun and free.

I would imagine the coalition still have a fear of straying to far from the gears formula.

Imo another dev should do gears and just keep it the same for ppl who like it, make it AA. 5
And have the coalition do something else.
If they are not willing to make changes like you suggest then it's always going to be as good as the last good gears game.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I said uncharted controlled like ass. Which it does compared to the fluid, fast and functional gears movement.

Uncharted/Last of Us wants to be punchy and realistic. Good to look at but in a competitive or game play environment not great.

Uncharted relies on mobility and has far more dynamic encounters. It controls splendidly. This is not 2008 anymore.

Gears does not need to copy UC mechanics but it does need to evolve beyond the bog standard boring stop and pop encounter
design. Hopefully Gears 5 is doing that..