• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
83 MC is a great score. That said, is there a specific reason why so many people thought this was going to break 90 MC? There was a prediction thread and a lot of people were sure about it. Were the previews glowing or something?
It seems like some people thought that just b/c the game was adding some bigger spaces and a vehicle you can control freely that guaranteed it a 90+ rating. Kind of silly.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Play it yourself, before saying something is disappointing.
Well I loved Gears (1 to 3) but I was still expecting a better return to form for Gears 5 after all the hype. I still think the serie needs a fresh start.
I'll give this a shot on game pass but eh, I'm not sure I want a "more of the same" episode after how mediocre Gears 4 was.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will wait until I play it to see I agree with the overall reception. Not gonna lie' I was expecting way higher scores than these.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Unless you've played both extensively, I don't know how you can make a statement like this.

I just finished Gears 4 yesterday, and all of the material for this game makes it look far more ambitious in terms of story and campaign. If it was scoring worse I would completely understand (what they did add sucked and detracted from the core of series) or somewhat/significantly better than 4 (what they added is great).

Being like "Nah it all just pretty much evens out" is a surprise to me.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I see people disappointed about the score and honestly I think y'all should divert that energy to playing the game instead. What really matters is if you enjoy it. Hours of posting on a video game forum over a score are hours of your life wasted.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
ACG gave it a "Buy" but definitely a muted recommendation. While he praised the game play and multiplayer, points were deducted for story and open world areas (which seems to be a common theme among the reviews).

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I'm pretty shocked this is scoring only about as well as Gears 4. That just doesn't seem right

I think expectations and thereby standards for reviews are constantly rising. A lot has changed and shifted perspectives since Gear 4 released.
I'm sure Gear 5 is a better game, as most reviews state, but doesn't mean it will score higher.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a world where not even HZD and Spider-Man could break 90, I think Gears would have to have been a complete radical gameplay changing reboot from the ground up to hit 90+ akin to God of War or BotW. And they weren't going to do that at this point at least, because of Gears' fanatical multiplayer community.

I think Ori WotW has a real chance of being their non-FH 90+ game this gen.

The only unexpected thing about this thread is people discounting Forza Horizon for some reason

Exactly. Halo is another example. People bitch about how "it's not the same"

You can innovate without changing the core identity of something. Also "bitch" is gross.

Oct 30, 2017
Lower than my 91 prediction, but it seems to be a great game nonetheless. Excited for the campaign and Horde mode. Is it released on GP tomorrow night or Friday?

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
83 MC is a great score. That said, is there a specific reason why so many people thought this was going to break 90 MC? There was a prediction thread and a lot of people were sure about it. Were the previews glowing or something?
As someone who is only casually following the discussion here, people were excited about the new direction the series was taken and expected it to review better.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Tell that to Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Persona, Zelda, Mario, God of War, Resident Evil...
The fact that we had some over 90 games doesn't change what i said. It's very very hard to reach that goal and only some of the best team in the world were able to do it. Nintendo , ND , Kojima productions , Capcom , Santa Monica , R* are ( part of ) the excellence of this industry.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the 1.5 to 2 hours of footage I saw, I guess this is roughly where I expected it to land. Low to mid 8's average.

I have to be honest, I didn't post many impressions based on what I saw because so many on here are so quick to attack any opinion that isn't outright positivity, but sometimes I do think the perception on here from some users is somewhat out of sync with reality. I think the review prediction thread says it all really.

I'm still not really sure why so many expected some 90+ masterpiece, because based on all the footage, this didn't seem like it was it.

From what I saw it seemed like step up in each pillar of the experience, and Gears 4 was a 84 Metacritic game.

I was expecting 90+ from the perspective of it being as good as a reviewer would expect/want a Gears game to be.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
And this is why people are saying "only" 85% (so far).

This was one of the Xbox franchises. Now the newest 2 are a bit better than Judgement...

As an old Gears 1-3 fan this blows.
thats one way to spin it...by that logic its only "a bit worse" than Gears 3.

Game is sitting at an 85 on OpenCritic which is 6 points behind this image of Gears 3 and 6 points ahead of Judgment.

but then again at that point we are counting points so who the fuck cares

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Exactly. Halo is another example. People bitch about how "it's not the same"
People won't bitch around if is well made. God of War and BotW are good examples. A lot of things changed, but the core didn't. Point is how to change your game while maintaning the essence. Not a easy thing to do, but not impossible.

Oct 25, 2017
Reading a couple of impressions, I'm a bit dissapointed that the new direction harkens so much to the old.

I was hoping for a bit more of a drastic jump, but ah well.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Anything reviewing as an 8 or up is definitely top tier. I look forward to playing this one.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
ACG gave it a "Buy" but definitely a muted recommendation. While he praised the game play and multiplayer, points were deducted for story and open world areas (which seems to be a common theme among the reviews).

Yeah, it became obvious that the open world areas weren't going to be popular with reviewers after watching some extended footage. There's precious little to do, the navigation requires you to explore (sometimes hitting dead ends) and there's just a sense that you're skiffing around aimlessly.

I'm excited to try it, but I can see why some didn't like it.

Feb 26, 2018
Gears 4 were highly overrated on meta so comparing them is kinda pointless. Gears 5 probably gonna settle on 85 and be a leap from the mediocre 4

Oct 25, 2017
I want all of you Gears fans to know that Uncharted The Lost Legacy is sitting on a 84 MC and it is better than Uncharted 4 (93 MC), so yeah... dont freak out lol
This actually is a good point, because while Gears 4 wasn't rated nearly as high as Uncharted 4, a lot of fans feel like it got way too generous scores. I think that's part of the reason behind some people feeling disappointed. They're comparing the scores to Gears 4's scores, and thinking "if THAT game is 84, and this is even worse...", but it may be a lot better and still score lower.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
MC is already back up to 85, fyi. And as someone who really liked Gears 4 it sounds like I'll probably love this one.
I want all of you Gears fans to know that Uncharted The Lost Legacy is sitting on a 84 MC and it is better than Uncharted 4 (93 MC), so yeah... dont freak out lol
This is an accurate statement.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Thats actually what I would love to see regardless of whatever score this game got. Release Gears 5, work on Perfect Dark or something brand new and then come back and finish this trilogy in Gears 6
I'd like to see that too, I think there's so much talent id be interesting to see what they can come up with.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
And this is why people are saying "only" 85% (so far).

This was one of the Xbox franchises. Now the newest 2 are a bit better than Judgement...

As an old Gears 1-3 fan this blows.

True when viewed in vacuum, but I'd say changing tastes and trends in the game industry are likely a bigger culprit to Gears 5's lower score than the actual comparative quality of the game.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So one of the big things The Coalition were pushing with this game to differentiate it from the earlier entries was the open arenas. However, this was also one of the main problems reviewers had with the game.

That's a shame honestly. Introducing new elements into long-standing franchises to freshen it up is always a risk, shame it didn't pay off.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Not trying to start anything, but can someone explain to me how an 85 is a bad or disappointing score when other games will get heaped praise for similar scores
The score is great, many were simply expecting more since it'd been a while since the last game of this scope from MS and it got really good previews.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
And to absolutely no surprise, this thread is already an embarrassment. Console warring everywhere. Calling it a flop. Since when was a game rated in the 80s a flop? Maybe play the game for yourself before calling it a flop. It's like all people do in today's world is read reviews and call it without ever bothering to actually experience it for themselves.