• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expected mid-to-high 80s, it's a Gears game in 2019 after all. But it also is the most ambitious title to date so there's that. I do find kind of funny that in an era of remasters, remakes and definitive editions, stuff like Smash Ultimate gets praised for including so much, but here the fact there's old ideas reused here and there is worth knocking points off for. Good thing I'm not too interested in the score itself: the game will be playable on Game Pass in less than 24 hours, I'll see for myself if this is the evolution the series needed or not.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not trying to start anything, but can someone explain to me how an 85 is a bad or disappointing score when other games will get heaped praise for similar scores

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
a review in progress that gives a score but doesnt take into account anything other than the campaign will always just feel pretty bleh to me tbh.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Pretty good scores, but I only like to spend my time with 85+ games because my time is precious. Hoping it reaches that score so that I can give it a try, last time I went below my criteria of only 85+ games was Days Gone and it immediately reminded me why Metacritic scores are very much on point for me.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Woo...I was expecting more. Will MS ever get a 90+ first party game besides Forza. It doesn't seem like it.
In a world where not even HZD and Spider-Man could break 90, I think Gears would have to have been a complete radical gameplay changing reboot from the ground up to hit 90+ akin to God of War or BotW. And they weren't going to do that at this point at least, because of Gears' fanatical multiplayer community.

I think Ori WotW has a real chance of being their non-FH 90+ game this gen.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I've said it once and I will say it again for gears to break 90, it needs to control more like uncharted 4.

I don't think so. What it does need is more combat options and encounters like introducing verticality rather than the bog standard stop and pop shooting like its been doing for years.

Also needs a half decent cohesive narrative.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Wheres that guy that was said it was impossible for this to score under Gears 4 lmao

Anyway this looks like a good time. I'm sure I'll dig it. Can't wait to play soon as I'm done with Days Gone...that one is fine too.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Give me a break. We know why you're here. And did you actually look at the games above it on opencritic? I just did and not even half have a chance of getting GOTY and you know it!
Give you a break about what? I'm not sure how you can have the gall to question my place in any threads given what you do and continue to do in other threads.

I posted that this is a great result for Gears 5 and it is. It has scored like a quality game. You missed that huh? I corrected your overestimation that it's GOTY quality and gave you some figures to show how. That isn't problematic.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
damn. I got carried away by the hype in this forum and reddit. I predicted an 88/100 - I was way off

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Give me a break. We know why you're here. And did you actually look at the games above it on opencritic? I just did and not even half have a chance of getting GOTY and you know it!
Uh based on what I've heard from people at these outlets I can certainly tell you that games like Resident Evil 2, DMC5, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem. and Outer Wilds all have a better shot at GOTY than Gears 5 at this point.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I too am surprised it is scoring the same as Gears 4. That said, I really enjoyed Gears 4 and would be okay with just more of that. I'll always hope for more, but am happy it seems to at least maintain the level of quality of prior entries.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The one thing I don't like is what some say about the open world parts, just for open world sake. I was a little afraid of that.

Still, I'll see for myself if I agree with that or not.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Wow, the meta is lower than i thought. I thought for sure it could at least get an 89.
83 right now.
I hope Tim is alright.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Based on the 1.5 to 2 hours of footage I saw, I guess this is roughly where I expected it to land. Low to mid 8's average.

I have to be honest, I didn't post many impressions based on what I saw because so many on here are so quick to attack any opinion that isn't outright blind positivity, but sometimes I do think the perception on here from some users is somewhat out of sync with reality. I think the review prediction thread says it all really.

I'm still not really sure why some expected some 90+ masterpiece, because based on all the footage, this wasn't it.

I think a lot of people assumed that the super low key marketing for the campaign mode is because they're hiding massive changes to the core of the game. While there's some pretty significant changes, it still ultimately feels, plays and looks like classic Gears from what I've read. Which is good... but it doesn't really carry that wow factor. So mid 8's sound about right.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Not trying to start anything, but can someone explain to me how an 85 is a bad or disappointing score when other games will get heaped praise for similar scores

Probably because Gears is a flagship franchise with a ton of resources put behind it and it's also currently below Gears 4 which was just solid at best.

Still going to be a good game but people want a home run.

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone expecting God of War kinda sequel will sure be disappointed. It's another Gears for better or worse.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
These are some good ass reviews. Can someone who's never played a gears game jump in?
I guess I wouldn't know because I haven't played 5 obviously, but I think 4 is the important one to have played since it leads directly to 5. Although every game gives off story for the background world and the world of Sera is actually pretty interesting.

It sounds like from the IGN video there's a "previously on" video at the start of 5 that runs through, at least, 4 so it' might be fine to just jump in, but there really is some great moments in the series that I'd doubt wouldn't be referenced.

Can't wait! Happy for Coalition to see such good scores, this is one of my most anticipated games
This has been my most anticipated game all year. I can't wait to play through the campaign and tackle horde with friends.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Great scores for any other game, but for the biggest XO release this year? I feel like it's a bit underwhelming.

Still gonna enjoy probably the shit out of it as it's on GP.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
To me, it seems like most people are just over Gears completely and the scores are more about that than anything else.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Based on the 1.5 to 2 hours of footage I saw, I guess this is roughly where I expected it to land. Low to mid 8's average.

I have to be honest, I didn't post many impressions based on what I saw because so many on here are so quick to attack any opinion that isn't outright positivity, but sometimes I do think the perception on here from some users is somewhat out of sync with reality. I think the review prediction thread says it all really.

I'm still not really sure why so many expected some 90+ masterpiece, because based on all the footage, this didn't seem like it was it.
very much this.
i liked gears 4 so i know this one will be good too, but i didnt see any of the reasons to think that this is a 90+ huge game that everyone was talking about.
the combat is the same as previous games, only now with a pre battle stealth, but not any change to the base combat, and without this major shakeup, gears wont get the high scores people were expecting.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Our review: https://cogconnected.com/review/gears-5-review/

"The structure is very familiar, and there are bugs here and there, but this is an ambitious package that's polished in almost every way. No matter what your experience level is with these familiar faces, Gears 5 is the most accessible title in the line, and is ultimately successful in trying to be something for everyone."

Score: 87/100