• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That GameSpot review is pretty damn bad. If you take a shot every time that Fortnite is name dropped or they mention how the game is essentially "move forward, kill enemies while in cover" (which, uh, duh), you'd probably be dead by the fifth paragraph.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
EDn3HLvU0AERzqk
Ohhhh...scores starting to come down. I jumped the gun. LOL! Well, I'll be checking it out on Game Pass to see what I think. This is why I love GP

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I do think its funny in retrospect how many people thought the idea that Gears 5 scores the same or worse than Gears 4 is impossible.
Solid scores, and I'm looking forward the campaign but this doesn't seem like the huge revolution to the formula that some of us hoped for. I've seen quite a few reviews actually criticize the open ended levels.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Expected better reviews after the previews and hype around here, but still an amazing score!

Oct 25, 2017
Any reviewers mentioned how long it took them? My Game Pass subscription runs out on the 19th, so I might have to put Control on hold to finish Gears 5 on time, since it appears to be longer, even though I'm loving Control so much.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
So far the average is a bit lower than what I expected after watching some of the campaign footage.

Still good ofc.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
"Gears 5 is unexpectedly phenomenal. It's the best game Microsoft has published in many years — perhaps not counting anything with "Forza Horizon" in the title — and it establishes The Coalition as a serious creative force. Even if you've never been interested in Gears of War, I'd recommend checking this one out on Xbox Game Pass at least. It's about as good as blockbuster shooters get." This sounds great from The Verge.
Nice. Can't wait to try it out.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Well for all the people wanting changes, there's always that funko Gears game to look forward to.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a great game. Will probably grab it on PC sooner or later, if I ever have the time to play through my copy of 4.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Was expecting a higher score, ngl. Still, Game Pass will do wonders for this game

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Am I hearing it right that if you play the campaign in co-op, it's 3 player and one of those players has to play as Jack (the robot)?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Not that I care what critics think but lower than Gears 4 is not a great result for Microsoft.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the game is going to be similar to Gears 4, as in, a good game but more of the same that doesn't break new ground. Honestly I'm okay with that as long as the game is fun.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I love the series, but I never bought the hype of Gears 5 being a dramatic evolution or anything. Gears is Gears and thats why I play it, if it has grown stale or just not to the liking of some people's tastes now they are never going to win them back. Looking at the reviews, I have to say its what I expected and still cant wait for tomorrow night to play it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Based on the 1.5 to 2 hours of footage I saw, I guess this is roughly where I expected it to land. Low to mid 8's average.

I have to be honest, I didn't post many impressions based on what I saw because so many on here are so quick to attack any opinion that isn't outright positivity, but sometimes I do think the perception on here from some users is somewhat out of sync with reality. I think the review prediction thread says it all really.

I'm still not really sure why so many expected some 90+ masterpiece, because based on all the footage, this didn't seem like it was it.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
As I saw yesterday in Ninja's stream, a good game but nothing spetacular. Think that Coalition should try to improve the original aspects of the game rather than move it from "open-world".

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't blame Rod and the team for it not hitting God of War levels. I'll say it again, why did this game only have a 3-year turn around from Gears 4? If you wanted something to reinvent the Gears formula it needed a longer dev time.