• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
"Gears 5 is unexpectedly phenomenal. It's the best game Microsoft has published in many years — perhaps not counting anything with "Forza Horizon" in the title — and it establishes The Coalition as a serious creative force. Even if you've never been interested in Gears of War, I'd recommend checking this one out on Xbox Game Pass at least. It's about as good as blockbuster shooters get." This sounds great from The Verge.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so damn hyped. Already got it preloaded, and the launch trailer was excellent. Cannot wait to dig in!!

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Woo...I was expecting more. Will MS ever get a 90+ first party game besides Forza. It doesn't seem like it.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great result.

There are at least 10 games on Opencritic sitting above Gears 5. Be realistic Braaier.
Give me a break. We know why you're here. And did you actually look at the games above it on opencritic? I just did and not even half have a chance of getting GOTY and you know it!

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still in Act 2 but man, this is my favourite Gears ever... Seriously, I love the feel of the gameplay, gunplay, movement. And open sections are a nice break from fights and you can see some cool views and find some secrets. Although there is definitely less to do in this open areas than in GoW which is a bit shame. Like they didn't have time to make more content. I loved some references to Gears 2.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USGamer: 3/5

As the sixth game in 13 years, Gears 5 shows how relatively little the franchise has changed in over a decade. Subtle changes to multiplayer and the related game modes spice things up a little bit, and Gears 5's campaign resembles some of the best horror traits of the original game, but The Coalition's latest is mostly business as usual for the Gears franchise.

Gears 5 survives on its solid cover shooting gameplay and a campaign that isn't afraid to pose difficult questions about problematic topics. But the largely stagnant Horde mode and general mess of an Escape mode really pull the sequel back from being a bold step forward.

Meta is down to 83

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
EDn3HLvU0AERzqk

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
From what I gathered from the reviews with the lowest scores, they were expecting more changes to the formula.

Maybe they used God of War as a parameter, but I dont think they should

Also, Gamespot mentioned that after Act 2 the story becomes inconsequential.

That really sucks, because I play Gears for the campaign. Oh well ...

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great will pick it up when I (hopefully) pick up my new gaming laptop later this year. Scores so far about what I expected, voted for 81- 85 range for the aggregate on the other thread and that's a great score to hit. Looks like its mostly a quality game.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Eh I saw gamespots live stream and how they played it so I'm going to take there review with a grain of salt.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling
So 73% of Era thought this game would review better than it did.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No chance this breaks 90
Well, whaddaya know. Still a good score though, about as good as Gears of War 4.

For the record, the reason I didn't see this breaking 90 is because critics have been pretty harsh this year. Outside of Sekiro and Resident Evil 2, the year's top games have been in that 87-88 region.

4R3GTAz.png

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ehhh you're right. It might be Astral Chain. It is really that good. It takes a while to get going, but it definitely is a GOTY contender. There really has been no clear runaway contender for GOTY, like in more recent years. A lot of really good games, not many fantastic games.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Metro touched upon something I was worried about after watching some extended footage from act 2 this morning,

In Short: The attempts to innovate in terms of storytelling and structure feel superficial and ineffective, leaving Gears 5 to survive purely on its increasingly overfamiliar action.

Pros: The combat is still fun, with a meaty range of weapons and enemies. Plenty of content, whether you're on your own, with friends, or just randoms. Escape mode has potential and Jack is great.

Cons: In terms of gameplay there's very little new here and a lot of it is starting to feel quite old-fashioned. Weak plot, very limited characterisation, and the open world areas are largely pointless.

Score: 7/10

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/04/gear...to=article.desktop.share.top.link?ito=cbshare
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Seems to be rating alongside the previous one. 85 was my bet and I think I'll hit it.

I think I'll keep my criteria that, MS lift review embargoes earlier only for extraordinary games.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm still in Act 2 but man, this is my favourite Gears ever... Seriously, I love the feel of the gameplay, gunplay, movement. And open sections are a nice break from fights and you can see some cool views and find some secrets. I loved some references to Gears 2.

I know you can't give exact numbers, but would you say it looks as crisp as Gears 4 on X? Because man, that bad boy still looks so crisp I love it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Coming in around same or lower than Gears 4 from the big sites. Weird. Multiplayer alone is a bigger and more refined package.

6 and 7's?