• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which input method are you using?

• Keyboard and mouse

Votes: 161 37.6%
  • Controller

Votes: 235 54.9%
  • Both

Votes: 32 7.5%

• Total voters

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad! Only have 85% of full res with my settings in 1080p and gtx 970 with this benchmark.

FWIW I've got my 970 at stock speeds for my model, which is 1410 MHz on core clock (and my CPU is an i5-4690k at 4.4 GHz). All settings are at high, except for character models on ultra, screen space reflections on ultra, volumetric fog at medium, lens flare at medium, DOF at medium and animation quality at auto. I haven't played much of the compaign yet though. I suspect I'll have to adjust at least SSR down.

Last edited:

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I am still getting GW502 error, I refuse to update my windows because 1903 breaks so much that it's simply not worth it and yet the steam version of the game (despite claiming you don't need the most recent windows update) refuses to work without it, you have to suffer through crash after crash, even tried the most recent Nvidia drivers and still isn't working.

Issued a refund.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait with this new Nvidia driver until there's some more feedback. I don't seem to be having any performance issues or the stuttering it's supposed to address. 436.15 is working just fine so far.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Both with and without! Runs really well. In the bench it only drops (to 55) for a few moments during the parts where stuff is exploding when the characters run through it (98.5% full res). I've turned it on in the campaign and I can't really notice when it happens, but I haven't scrutinized it too much.

It'll run great throughout. There is only one section that had performance issues and they were so anomalous that I do not think it had anything to do with the card.

edit: I think I ended up on high with lense flares ultra, ssr to medium, volumetric fog to medium, ao strength 13, nvidia sharpening enabled. Locked 60 basically always.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I've got my 970 at stock speeds for my model, which is 1410 MHz on core clock (and my CPU is an i5-4690k at 4.4 GHz). All settings are at high, except for character models on ultra, screen space reflections on ultra, volumetric fog at medium, lens flare at medium, DOF at medium and animation quality at auto. I haven't played much of the compaign yet though. I suspect I'll have to adjust at least SSR down.
I'm currently playing on a 970 and am getting away with 1080p, everything High except Ultra Character model, bloom, lens flare and cone step mapping, SSR on Insane and DoF and Volumetric Fog on Medium and I'm managing a pretty good 60+ up to the end of the Act 2 Ch 1 (although Gsync is definitely helping to smooth out any slight drops).

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
Performance is excellent for me now with everything on ultra/insane and the texture pack all installed at 1440p with a 2080 getting 80+ fps.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started the campaign, I think the Ultra textures are causing very light stutters here and there (and seemingly at the start of every camera cut in a cut scene), nothing that feels offputting mind you, its over quickly, and im extremely sensitive to them so most people probably wouldnt notice em.

No stutter without the Ultra textures though. Game looks great as expected ..... combat seems a bit bland so far, not a fan of health indicators over some enemies heads and the crazy large hit marker crosshair things going on (I guess they needed them with the lack of enemy hit reactions ......).

Certainly seems like a brilliant versions of the game, cant knock this PC version.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Started the campaign, I think the Ultra textures are causing very light stutters here and there (and seemingly at the start of every camera cut in a cut scene), nothing that feels offputting mind you, its over quickly, and im extremely sensitive to them so most people probably wouldnt notice em.

No stutter without the Ultra textures though. Game looks great as expected ..... combat seems a bit bland so far, not a fan of health indicators over some enemies heads and the crazy large hit marker crosshair things going on (I guess they needed them with the lack of enemy hit reactions ......).

Certainly seems like a brilliant versions of the game, cant knock this PC version.
You can turn off health indicators and hit markers, just so you know.

Mar 27, 2019
playing campaign and I seem to be locked to 60fps. Running a 2080 and a 165hz monitor. unlocked frame rate. Not sure whats up.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Downloaded the driver and everything is great now. Stutters are completely gone, no hitching cutscenes and that's with ultra textures on. I could even boost the resolution a little bit and keep pretty much locked 60.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Is the issue where collectible tracking is totally hosed unique to PC or present on all platforms? I feel dumb looking for them at this point, but the jack upgrades are in similar places, so...

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Damn, they actually have new details in there rather than it just being a bit sharper. Take it this is mainly for character models rather than the entire world (going by it only being 3GB)?

Yeah, general world textures don't seem to be affected. In this quick and dirty comparison I've slapped together, you can see Kait's character model is slightly sharper with the pack installed but the door is identical.

Is the issue where collectible tracking is totally hosed unique to PC or present on all platforms? I feel dumb looking for them at this point, but the jack upgrades are in similar places, so...

I was experiencing that issue at first and stopped playing because of it, but as of yesterday it's been smoothing sailing skiffing.

Edit: Bah, of course the first collectable I find since posting this isn't counted.

Last edited:

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I felt real dumb when I first started it up. Couldn't figure out why I was getting 60fps almost locked at 4k max settings.....still had 60 as the minimum. My PC will punch above its weight from time to time but that's asking too much. As soon as I removed that minimum I was getting just above 30.

Currently playing through at 1440p max everything (ultra textures, best animation, insane SSR) at mostly 60 with some dips and hitches occasionally but not enough to keep me from enjoying it. Benchmark still says I'm GPU bound which is surprising since my CPU is getting on 6 years old. Debating on which Ryzen 3 to go with at the moment or to wait for Intel 10nm
i5-4570 @ 3.2GHz
GTX 1080 FTW
24 GB DDR3
installed on an SSD

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
God dammit I was so excited for the new driver because I had some stuttering during cutscenes, but now my game crashes every time a map is loaded

:(

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Ah thanks how do I change the windows setting refresh? My nvidia control panel is also set to 165 hz
Assuming you're on Win10, right click Desktop > Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings > Display adapter properties for Display 1 (assuming you have 1 monitor) > Monitor tab > Screen refresh rate dropdown under Monitor Settings

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Game was playing as smooth as butter for me (other than cut scenes being choppy) but once I get on the skiff it's stutter city. Anyone else?

I'm seeing some talk of uninstalling ultra textures, but I'm assuming that's just the steam version, that even possible on the Xbox game pass PC version?

Using the latest Nvidia drivers btw.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Game was playing as smooth as butter for me (other than cut scenes being choppy) but once I get on the skiff it's stutter city. Anyone else?

I'm seeing some talk of uninstalling ultra textures, but I'm assuming that's just the steam version, that even possible on the Xbox game pass PC version?

Yes, it is possible to install or uninstall the ultra textures on the GamePass version.

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
razer blade advanced pro with 16gb ram, rtx 2060 here.
getting stutter after it heats up a bit... I have a liteon nvme m.2 500gb thats like 90% full so maybe thats the issue?

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017

To uninstall them on the XGP version, you need to do it in the video options menu. The same place as you installed them. The game will restart when to do.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Has to be one of the most performant PC ports yet. Getting an average of 80-90fps with almost all settings ultra at 1080p on a 2060/2600 combo, looks and plays fantastic.

I get redic stutter in cutscenes though, strange.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is possible to install or uninstall the ultra textures on the GamePass version.
razer blade advanced pro with 16gb ram, rtx 2060 here.
getting stutter after it heats up a bit... I have a liteon nvme m.2 500gb thats like 90% full so maybe thats the issue?
Ah alright, I see now, thanks. Guess I never had them installed in the first place. So, that's definitely not the cause of my problems then.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's technically not UWP but it shares a lot of the same traits. No exclusive fullscreen, forced sync when running it in anything than native res, Windows Store download, locked down files.
So what the difference if every flaws of UWP still remains? Seems like more a PR move from Microsoft.
I'm not sure what you two are trying to say here... well yes, if you buy games on MS Store you download them on MS Store. Did you expect anything else? What a weird point to make. Also, what flaws? I mean sure, MS Store isn't as advanced as Steam, but it gets the job done. I haven't had any issues with Gears 5 in relation to MS Store.

What do you mean forced sync? The MS Store version of the game has vsync settings just like any other game. Are you sure Steam version has exclusive full screen mode? DX12 natively doesn't support exclusive full screen anyway, again, nothing really to do with UWP or MS Store.

For me there aren't flaws but benefits on MS Store. I get 2 versions of game for the price of one. PC and XBX.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
This is one of the best PC ports.

I expect large fps drops during large scale fights because of my 6500.

Also like the SSR here. It can look good but there are times when It doesn't match up to the scenery.

1T1SeKT.png

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
I'm not sure what you two are trying to say here... well yes, if you buy games on MS Store you download them on MS Store. Did you expect anything else? What a weird point to make. Also, what flaws? I mean sure, MS Store isn't as advanced as Steam, but it gets the job done. I haven't had any issues with Gears 5 in relation to MS Store.

The Gears 5 PC version is great and probs to the Coahlition but all I'm saying is that there's a lot missing from what you'd expect in a win32 version. There's just these small little problems for example Steam overlay not hooking or the Afterburner screenshot feature not working correctly that hamper the experience a bit.

What do you mean forced sync? The MS Store version of the game has vsync settings just like any other game. Are you sure Steam version has exclusive full screen mode? DX12 natively doesn't support exclusive full screen anyway, again, nothing really to do with UWP or MS Store.

Every UWP game I've played had this peculiar feature that when you run the game in anything but native res the game will sync to your monitor refresh rate. Even with Vsync off you'll get no tearing, meaning that Windows droppes frames to sync to the screen refresh rate. You can try yourself by changing the rendering resolution in the graphics menu. This is something I've only encountered in UWP games.

I seriously considered buying the game on Steam to get the QoL improvements but it's just too expensive to justify considering I'm playing for free with game pass.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Every UWP game I've played had this peculiar feature that when you run the game in anything but native res the game will sync to your monitor refresh rate. Even with Vsync off you'll get no tearing, meaning that Windows droppes frames to sync to the screen refresh rate. You can try yourself by changing the rendering resolution in the graphics menu. This is something I've only encountered in UWP games.

I seriously considered buying the game on Steam to get the QoL improvements but it's just too expensive to justify considering I'm playing for free with game pass.
The game should 100% tear, but it will only tear at the resolution of your desktop. So you need the game to be your desktop res for it to tear.

For me the game hooked properly with RTSS (I used it in the review constantly) - but never tried the steam overlay because I honestly always have it turned off (cannot be bothered by people in game while recording or because it can induce odd game behaviour in some titles).

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
The game should 100% tear, but it will only tear at the resolution of your desktop. So you need the game to be your desktop res for it to tear.
Yeah I wanted to run the game in 85% res scale and it introduced a lot of stuttering so I just put it back to 100% and lowered some settings.

For me the game hooked properly with RTSS (I used it in the review constantly) - but never tried the steam overlay because I honestly always have it turned off (cannot be bothered by people in game while recording or because it can induce odd game behaviour in some titles).
RTSS hooks fine but the screenshot feature just captures a black screen for some reason. I tried to use steam overlay as a workaround so I can take screenshots with my controller shortcuts.

edit: Found the problem. Starting the game via Big Picture seems to interfere with the screenshots somehow. Works if I start Gears from the desktop. Ugh.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
8700K/RTX 2080/16 GB RAM, Ultra HD textures, 1440p, almost all maxed settings, new Nvidia driver:

Old benchmark for comparison:

I... lost a few frames? But have slightly more VRAM and memory usage, and way higher CPU framerates. Interesting. Seems more stable so far, will have to see how it holds up.

EDIT: Overclocking the GPU to 1875 MHz, turning off tiled resources, reducing volumetric fog quality to Ultra, and lowering particle spawn rate to 10 gets me about 82 fps average, for no perceivable tradeoff in visuals.

Last edited:

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Game Pass
Windows up to date
436.30 constant GW502 errors ( What even is this? )
436.15 game ran pretty good

I had to roll back just to play the game. Gears 4 had some wonky driver issues for a while. I guess this one is going to be the same.

GTX 1070
I7 6700k
16GB
Game on an SSD

Mar 27, 2019
Assuming you're on Win10, right click Desktop > Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings > Display adapter properties for Display 1 (assuming you have 1 monitor) > Monitor tab > Screen refresh rate dropdown under Monitor Settings

Thanks, yeah I looked there and in nvidia control panel and they both say 165hz. Still capped at 60 with unlocked fps in game and no min frames, no vsync. Weird. I'm playing on Game Pass if that makes a difference. Maybe its gsync issue?

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Alt-tabbing literally hard locks my PC to a BSOD on this. Newest Nvidia drivers and normal channel W10 updates.

What a dumpster fire.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
Just ran the benchmark at 4k insane settings on 2070 super and ryzen 2600 and found out dynamic res was on lol. Only 66% full res rendered. Was saying how amazing it runs at 4k feel stupid now. I get 37 fps with dynamiç res off. Game still looks great though.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I no longer have big hitches in cutscenes but now sometimes characters are flickering with bright colors (in cutscenes). :(
I've had the flickering in cutscenes since launch. I just did some testing: Only character models are affected, it doesn't matter if you've got HDR on or off, it only affects cutscenes... And it's caused by the dynamic resolution scaling.

As long as the scaler kicks in the flicker will occur.