• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which input method are you using?

• Keyboard and mouse

Votes: 161 37.6%
  • Controller

Votes: 235 54.9%
  • Both

Votes: 32 7.5%

• Total voters

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Damn it, I bought this game mostly to play in splitscreen but apparently it only works on the campaign and NOT in multiplayer. Blah!

I think I'm going to refund and wait for a discount to eventually play the campaign then.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Is there any trick for the hdr on pc? I have like a white fog on screen, do you have some optimal setting for windows or the game itself?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any trick for the hdr on pc? I have like a white fog on screen, do you have some optimal setting for windows or the game itself?
If it looks washed-out it may be because HDR is not properly enabled.

You have to enable it in Windows first, then in the game (started after enabling it), you should have a setting to enable HDR, then it should look nice, even in the menus.
The default settings are good enough (50/140/1000) but then you might want to set them to fit your TV and playing conditions (my TV expects 4000 nits so I set the last setting to 4000 and the second to 120-160 depending on ambiant lighting).

If it's still washed-out, do other games have good HDR ? Mostly UWP games like Forza Horizon 4.

Also, if you have some overlays injected into the game, maybe they don't support HDR well and mess with it ?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone playing on a 1660 Ti with settings recommendations? Ie if I set it to ultra what should I turn down to keep 60fps without dynamic res kicking in? I was hovering at about 55-60 with everything at Ultra and I felt like turning the Dynamic Res on made distant stuff look just a little bit too soft.

Actually I haven't checked for drivers for a week or two, should probably do that.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
If it looks washed-out it may be because HDR is not properly enabled.

You have to enable it in Windows first, then in the game (started after enabling it), you should have a setting to enable HDR, then it should look nice, even in the menus.
The default settings are good enough (50/140/1000) but then you might want to set them to fit your TV and playing conditions (my TV expects 4000 nits so I set the last setting to 4000 and the second to 120-160 depending on ambiant lighting).

If it's still washed-out, do other games have good HDR ? Mostly UWP games like Forza Horizon 4.

Also, if you have some overlays injected into the game, maybe they don't support HDR well and mess with it ?
I have hdr enabled on windows and in the game but i'm really the worst at regulating hdr setting because i don't even know how a good hdr image is supposed to look onestly (i'm fairly new with this technology).
I tried hdr on horizon, gow and spidey woth gow being the only one where i notice some noticeable improvement in the lava area, not really a fan of hdr for now. (And my tv is the best oled of 2018 so i know that the hdr is great on my tv).

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have hdr enabled on windows and in the game but i'm really the worst at regulating hdr setting because i don't even know how a good hdr image is supposed to look onestly (i'm fairly new with this technology).
I tried hdr on horizon, gow and spidey woth gow being the only one where i notice some differents, not really a fan of hdr for now. (And my tv is the best oled of 2018 so i know that the hdr is great on my tv).
Did you use HDR on your PC before Gears 5 ?
It may be just a cable or setup issue, is your PC directly connected to the TV via an HDMI 2.0 cable ?

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
So I also had the 'stuck at 70%' issue and tried what was suggested here including rebooting multiple times and reinstalling the game from scratch to no avail.

As a last ditch effort, I tried relocating the game installation from the primary C drive to the secondary D drive and that seems to have done the trick. It started at 70% as usual, but the percentage started to progress after about 20 seconds in.

To relocate the game installation files...
1) Type "Add or Remove Programs" in the Win10 search bar
2) From the list of installed apps, locate Gears 5
3) Click the Move button
4) Select the drive you want to move it to and click Move to confirm

This is the Windows Store version by the way. Hope this trick works for you. GL!

I didn't change region again, still the one allowing playing.
I also tried a different pc, same story, no download, stuck at 70%.
I guess I'll have to wait, there's nothing I'am aware of I can do.

I'm guessing Ultra textures being stuck at 70% is a thing...?

[/QUOTE]
Any new updates on the ultra texture pack? Just sits at 70% and keeps stopping/starting on the MS store from what I can see.

Anyone playing through Game Pass have any luck installing the Ultra textures? I'm still getting the problem where in-game it's stuck at 70% and then in both the Game Pass app and the Windows Store it shows Gears 5 infinitely looping between "downloading" and "finished installing".

However, they need figure out another way to allow the texture pack download for the Windows store. In game is not cutting it, it did not even start from 0%, it started at 70% and looks to be stuck there.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have sound during the intro screens, sound during the main menue, go to launch campaign and no sound. Anyone else? Google says I'm the only person with this problem.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not been through the entire thread so apologise if its already been posted, is there any comparisons between regular textures and the ultra ones? Ultra download was only about 3GB and didnt really have time to see what difference, if any, they made.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Not been through the entire thread so apologise if its already been posted, is there any comparisons between regular textures and the ultra ones? Ultra download was only about 3GB and didnt really have time to see what difference, if any, they made.
One of the few ultra texture packs that actually makes a noticeable difference.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So I also had the 'stuck at 70%' issue and tried what was suggested here including rebooting multiple times and reinstalling the game from scratch to no avail.

As a last ditch effort, I tried relocating the game installation from the primary C drive to the secondary D drive and that seems to have done the trick. It started at 70% as usual, but the percentage started to progress after about 20 seconds in.

To relocate the game installation files...
1) Type "Add or Remove Programs" in the Win10 search bar
2) From the list of installed apps, locate Gears 5
3) Click the Move button
4) Select the drive you want to move it to and click Move to confirm

This is the Windows Store version by the way. Hope this trick works for you. GL!
Hey, that actually worked! Thanks! That is so strange. In a world where many people have their OS installed on their fastest drive, it's crazy that bugs like this can exist. I wonder what could possibly be causing it

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

quick comparison of Ultra texture pack.

High - game was installing texture pack while i was playing
hI6yxUC.png

Ultra
zy7jJKo.png

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Well, maybe. I just disabled dynamic res and playing in 1080p (with 60 fps cutscenes, feels so smooth)

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Nvidia Game Ready Driver released : 436.30

Windows 10 64-bit
Windows 10 64-bit DCH
Release Notes

Provides increased performance and the optimal gaming experience for the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare PC Open Beta, Gears 5, and Borderlands 3.

Fixed Issues in this Release
  • [Fortnite][CS:Go]: Eliminated cases of stutter when Ultra low latency mode was enabled. [2682105]
  • [Forza Motorsport 6/7]: The game may crash during gameplay. [2686338]
  • [World of Warcraft]: The game may flicker at the character-selection screen. [2684628]
  • [Notebook][GeForce GTX 970M]: The GPU clock speed on some notebooks is stuck at the base clock speed and does not boost. [2683147]
  • [GeForce RTX 20 series][Forza Horizon 4][Gears of War 4][Gears 5]: Colored corruption may appear on some surfaces throughout the game. [200544234]
  • [Firefox][G-SYNC]: When G-SYNC is enabled, flickering occurs with YouTube full-screen video playback on FireFox when hovering over the timeline. [200544130]
  • [Control][DirectX 12 ][Pascal GPUs]: Blue-screen crash occurs pointing to nvlddmkm.sys when in-game software Ray Tracing is enabled. [200543646]

EDIT: SaintBowWow looks like your issue with textures is listed as fixed here.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Game ready driver released today and this was in the fixed section:

[GeForce RTX 20 series][Forza Horizon 4][Gears of War 4][Gears 5]: Colored corruption may appear on some surfaces throughout the game. [200544234]

Woohoo. So it wasn't my card afterall.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I did not see any difference in performmance on an RTX 2080 Ti by the way with this driver and the benchmark - first bench run actually ran worse than the last driver. Still no async compute in the settings menu for Turing as well.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
How big is the ultra texture pack? Can't find any solid info on this.

Also, this runs unimaginably good on my 970 at 1080p. I am legit stunned that it can push out such amazing visuals still.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Is it worth downloading the ultra texture pack if I can only play at 1080p ? (With everything maxed)

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Is it true that the new update breaks HDR? Saw a few people claim it on the Nvidia subreddit.

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
updated the drivers and played some campaign. Havent gotten any of the stutters. Waiting for a multiplayer match to start and got an error about my video card not working all the sudden.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
With dynamic res enabled? Because maybe you got upscaled image from much lower resolution after all =)

Both with and without! Runs really well. In the bench it only drops (to 55) for a few moments during the parts where stuff is exploding when the characters run through it (98.5% full res). I've turned it on in the campaign and I can't really notice when it happens, but I haven't scrutinized it too much.

Last edited:

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
How is Gears 4 144 GB on the Windows store and Gears 5 only 68 GB on Steam?

They slowly made more stuff for the base game. It was only ever multiplayer stuff they added though.

As a single player only player it always annoyed me I had to put up with a load of storage space being taken up for a part of the game I never touched. Not to mention a missive download every time I went back to play it.

Expect the same over time with Gears 5.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Hey, that actually worked! Thanks! That is so strange. In a world where many people have their OS installed on their fastest drive, it's crazy that bugs like this can exist. I wonder what could possibly be causing it

Awesome! Glad to hear it worked for you. That being said, no idea why this solved the problem in the first place.

I might try re-transferring the installation back to the OS drive this weekend to see if that fixes the original problem. Like you, I prefer running off of an SSD for faster loading times. :)

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Had to uninstall the texture pack. Game runs perfect with it on then cutscenes for somereason frezze, hitch and sometimes just crash. Lots of people having the same problem so I wouldn't recommend the texture pack. Looks no different anyway

eDIGI

Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Running the game on a gtx 1080, had stutters before the latest Nvidia driver update. Now the stutter seems to be gone for me. But now I seem to have a weird flickering shimmer on characters during the cutscenes. This happening with anyone else?

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Downloading the new 436.30 Drivers - previously, my PC version had the GW502 error - "This means that the graphics card in your Windows device has stopped responding and was reset by the operating system."

Should I expect this to be fixed? I was really enjoying playing at 32:9....

agiantsheep

Oct 27, 2017
Holding out hope that this new driver will magically fix the campaign texture issues for us poor souls with <3gb VRAM.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Both with and without! Runs really well. In the bench it only drops (to 55) for a few moments during the parts where stuff is exploding when the characters run through it (98.5% full res). I've turned it on in the campaign and I can't really notice when it happens, but I haven't scrutinized it too much.
Not bad! Only have 85% of full res with my settings in 1080p and gtx 970 with this benchmark.