• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which input method are you using?

• Keyboard and mouse

Votes: 161 37.6%
  • Controller

Votes: 235 54.9%
  • Both

Votes: 32 7.5%

• Total voters

omark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I have a problem with the PC version (Windows Store). The game is unable to remove subtitles from the cinematics. I've settled them to OFF and despite it the cutscenes keep showing on the bottom

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Played for a bit and the cutscenes are terrible with stutter. Gameplay is typically fine but there are weird hitches here and there. I though maybe the ultra textures were killing vram but it hasn't really gone over 5500
Ill probably continue playing on xbox x

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Well, I had hopes but add this to the list of games that 4 cores simply cannot play. The tutorial and up to I think chapter 1-3 the game ran fine and then cinematics were a stuttering mess. Once I got control of my character in the city part the game stutters to the point of it being completely unplayable. This is with a 4690k @ 4.6ghz @ 1080p. Graphic settings don't change anything and I have a 2060.

Edit: Somebody earlier in the thread said to change animation quality to performance. I have no idea what this does because everything looks exactly the same but the stuttering seems to have stopped for now at least. Don't know about cutscenes.

Edit 2: Cutscenes are still unwatchable. Game is playable but it feels horrible because hitching still happens.

Last edited:

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
A weird graphical glitch appears for me in coop split screen. A black line stays in the middle of the screen... Anyone with something similar?

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Stunning textures, hdr looks incredible played on 1440p monitor with the resolution scale dialed up. But cant play now, even single player, thanks for fucking it up MS

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Steam version is very smooth for me.

I'm on a 980 ti/i7 4790/16 GB DDR3 RAM + SSD

At 1440p, Ultra on everything (including ultra texture pack) except a couple things notched down to high (Volumetric Fog, SSR, and Tessellation), I averaged 64 FPS in the benchmark and my 5% low was only 57 FPS. No stuttering or skipping issues so far in campaign either (albeit it's been like 10 minutes).

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
image.png

lawd

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks and runs amazing so far with a 1080 Ti and 3700x @ 3440x1440 all ultra + the texture pack. Hopefully the whole game performs this way.

ki2hGCq.png

I must say though: the Xbox One X version looks really, really good too. Makes the choice of where to play it a bit though since I have the One X using a 65in HDR TV and a better sound setup (dolby atmos) and moving my PC around just for one game sucks because of how heavy it is.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, reinstalled the game but didn't install ultra textures and my stuttering is gone. Very weird since I have 8GB of vram and it only uses half that at 1080p.

Must be a weird bug.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I7 6700
16gb ram
Windows 7
Playing at 1080p

The game defaulted to ultra settings, running benchmark and bootcamp it was in the low 40s. Turning everything down to medium and still can't maintain 60 in either. Updating gpu drivers atm to see if there is a difference.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing options menu.

An odd thing from the benchmark: at first I thought the game cpu threading was amazing, I was reading very low time counts for both cpu render and game, around 5 Ms.

I decided to put everything on low at 720 and the game is suddenly cpu bottleneck, av framerate about 125 fps. Game cpu time jumps to 7 ms

Still at 720 I change to high details and the cou game time jumps back to 4-5 Ms and the bottleneck is pure gpu, average framerate around 115 fps.

Odd.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
gears 4 was probably the most optimized game i ever played this gen, 4k30frame wih high details on a 1070, (or 1440p60 frame)

i hope 4k60 are possible with a 2070 super on gears 5.
its not unless you turn stuff down. I am speaking from experience here.. I have everything on ultra, fov highest, all highest textures etc @ 1440p I get 62-90 fps. Higher in less cluttered areas.

i should add, thats with an rtx 2080

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Oct 27, 2017
I7 6700
16gb ram
Windows 7
Playing at 1080p

The game defaulted to ultra settings, running benchmark and bootcamp it was in the low 40s. Turning everything down to medium and still can't maintain 60 in either. Updating gpu drivers atm to see if there is a difference.
I havent updated my drivers and I was running it at ultra, 90fps with a 1060 6GB, weird.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I have a problem with the PC version (Windows Store). The game is unable to remove subtitles from the cinematics. I've settled them to OFF and despite it the cutscenes keep showing on the bottom
There is two settings of subtitles, check if both are off.

Starting to think my 2070 is the problem. Fuck. I'll try out a different card.
After I uninstalled the ultra texture pack my stutters problems disappeared....

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I7 6700
16gb ram
Windows 7
Playing at 1080p

This might be your problem.

The Coalition even said that the game will perform worse on Win 7 and will require more power then the normal version.
The DX12 API for Win 7 just isn't that great.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I seem to be getting infrequent stuttering too even in act 1. Tried multiplayer and the stuttering was even worse there. Literally made the game unplayable until I got kicked out from the game (was it the game that kicked me out because it was stuttering like crazy?)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Had to update my benchmark since I didn't realize there was an "insane" setting or a "15" particle spawn rate.

image.png

I remember a day when my 2080Ti wasn't the bottleneck in my system. Those days have gone. Bring on the 3080Ti.

I seem to be getting infrequent stuttering too even in act 1. Tried multiplayer and the stuttering was even worse there. Literally made the game unplayable until I got kicked out from the game (was it the game that kicked me out because it was stuttering like crazy?)
As far as diagnosis goes, it may be helpful if you guys also specify if you're on the Windows Store version or the Steam version.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
This game is super vram hungry at 4k with ultra textures. Using over 10gb. The game runs amazing. The only issue is that alt+f3 doesn't open the filter menu. Has anyone tried it?

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
This might be your problem.

The Coalition even said that the game will perform worse on Win 7 and will require more power then the normal version.
The DX12 API for Win 7 just isn't that great.

Do you mind linking where they stated the bolded? I can't seem to find it googling. Had I seen that I wouldn't have bothered preordering it.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Misfortune pursues me
What the fuck is this shit??
Gears-5-05-09-2019-09-58-09-p-m.png

All act 1 has been the same
Even JD textures wont load.
My AMD drivers are up to date and the textures transmission speed is set to ultra
I don't know what to do.
Xbox PC Store version.

Last edited:

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Do you mind linking where they stated the bolded? I can't seem to find it googling. Had I seen that I wouldn't have bothered preordering it.

It wasn't an statement directly but they did specify this with the requirments.

I would upgrade if I were you.

Using Win 7 on a system like that is just holding you back, specially when support for it will end in 4 months.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I7 6700
16gb ram
Windows 7
Playing at 1080p

I'm having the same difficulty. Cant keep a solid 60 no matter what besides turning everything to low in the benchmark. it defaults to Ultra though.
I'm on R7 3700x
GTX 1080
16gb DDR4 RAM
also at 1080p but downsampling now at 1440p because it ends up performing the same anyway. Which is mostly in the 50s, hitting 60 at points and dropping into 40s at points.
I am on Steam version. Oh also my audio is fucked making weird static popping noises.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Misfortune pursues me

My AMD drivers are up to date and the textures transmission speed is set to ultra
I don't know what to do.
Xbox PC Store version.

Does toggling Tiled Resources under Video one way or the other make a difference?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
As far as diagnosis goes, it may be helpful if you guys also specify if you're on the Windows Store version or the Steam version.
I have the Xbox Store version via game pass. Stuttering seems to be random during campaign so far.

Misfortune pursues me

I don't know what to do.
Xbox PC Store version.
I've had the same issue with Gears 4 before, but I always thought it was because my old GPU (780) didn't have enough vram.

People who get stuttering - are you utilising Dynamic Resolution Scalling by setting a minimum framerate?
Didn't try it during campaign, but I did try it setting it to 60fps for multiplayer and it did nothing to help with the stuttering.

Xbudz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting terrible audio stuttering on PC when using headphones on an Xbox controller. Also, endless campaign loading issue. I even deleted the save in slot one, but it still won't load. Might be an issue with the actual save slot?

The games code needs work. It's not just servers fucking things up.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
It wasn't an statement directly but they did specify this with the requirments.

I would upgrade if I were you.

Using Win 7 on a system like that is just holding you back, specially when support for it will end in 4 months.

That link is only talking about the minimum requirements, which are slightly higher. My system is no where near the minimum for windows 7, hardware wise anyway. Settings at medium shouldn't be putting out this kind of performance.

I already planned on upgrading to 10, unfortunately, prior to the expiration of updates on 7, just not atm and certainly not for a game. As for 7 holding me back, Besides Ubisofts AC series and MHW on my prior gpu (970) I haven't really had to many issues on 7 with recent games and MHW fps was fixed upgrading to the 2070.

Either way, thanks for responding, I'll just refund and not bother for now, maybe it will be discounted during the winter sale and I'll try again.

I'm having the same difficulty. Cant keep a solid 60 no matter what besides turning everything to low in the benchmark. it defaults to Ultra though.
I'm on R7 3700x
GTX 1080
16gb DDR4 RAM
also at 1080p but downsampling now at 1440p because it ends up performing the same anyway. Which is mostly in the 50s, hitting 60 at points and dropping into 40s at points.
I am on Steam version. Oh also my audio is fucked making weird static popping noises.

That is unfortunate, hopefully they can do some patching to fix it up.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
That link is only talking about the minimum requirements, which are slightly higher. My system is no where near the minimum for windows 7, hardware wise anyway. Settings at medium shouldn't be putting out this kind of performance.

I already planned on upgrading to 10, unfortunately, prior to the expiration of updates on 7, just not atm and certainly not for a game. As for 7 holding me back, Besides Ubisofts AC series and MHW on my prior gpu (970) I haven't really had to many issues on 7 with recent games and MHW fps was fixed upgrading to the 2070.

Either way, thanks for responding, I'll just refund and not bother for now, maybe it will be discounted during the winter sale and I'll try again.

The reason that the performance just isn't up to par is that Gears 5 is still a DX12 game if I were to guess.

Microsoft ported the DX12 API for World of Warcraft on Windows 7 some time ago, but they also specified that it lacks major optimisations that are specific to Windows 10 and that it only fuctions at a basic level.

Not to mention that even on Win 10 at the start, DX12's performance was fiddly at best with the vast majority of games, only MS's first party managed to make proper use of it. ( Not from the start either since their first games sucked performance wise)

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Game has been smooth as butter so far. Running 2560x1080 at Ultra on 1070ti OCed, Ryzen 2600x and 16gb Ram. Have it locked at 75FPS. On my 4K TV it runs at 58-60 FPS at Ultra. Pretty happy with my results. Though I got to say, After installing the Texture pack, I get a couple of hitches and stuttering every once in a while. Never happened before the install.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Validating my files in steam seemed to fix my popping audio noise issue. Game still doesn't run at smooth 60 fps for me and also I can't even start the campaign. The loading symbol is just spinning forever? Anyone else have this issue?

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I can't figure out how to fix this endless loading bug to even start the campaign :( might have to reinstall because its a lot of my monthly data to install twice. This sucks. Validated files in Steam twice already.