• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which input method are you using?

• Keyboard and mouse

Votes: 161 37.6%
  • Controller

Votes: 235 54.9%
  • Both

Votes: 32 7.5%

• Total voters

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
It doesn't need KB4512941 does it? Thats the optional update that apparently causes high CPU usage.

The last update I have installed is KB4512508 and I was able to run the game just fine.

It has Atmos? I was planning on playing it with mouse keyboard and 1440p monitor but if it has Atmos I might suffer through using a controller and my tv.

It does. Just make sure to change your speaker setup on desktop before starting the game.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
quick comparison of Ultra texture pack.

High - game was installing texture pack while i was playing
hI6yxUC.png

Ultra
zy7jJKo.png
Hmmm this is perhaps the first time where default game textures look so bad compared to the ultra texture pack. It looks like ultra pack is mandatory. Do we know if XBX comes with ultra textures? That would be interesting why they decided to split better textures into a seperate pack on PC, which usually implies it goes above console quality, which it probably doesn't in this case?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm this is perhaps the first time where default game textures look so bad compared to the ultra texture pack. It looks like ultra pack is mandatory. Do we know if XBX comes with ultra textures? That would be interesting why they decided to split better textures into a seperate pack on PC, which usually implies it goes above console quality, which it probably doesn't in this case?

As far as i know they said Xbox One X has only the high textures.

Ultra is PC only.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to get rid off tearing when I play on TV? ;(
You just have to enable vertical sync. I don't get any tearing when playing on my TV.

Note, there was an old bug in Nvidia drivers that introduce tearing on one of the mirrored screens if using multi-monitors or TV with mirroring enabled.
Are you using mirroring or TV alone ?

If you are in dual-screen and refresh rate of the monitor is different it can also be a cause.

Or another cause, do you force adaptative sync in the drivers ?

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
You just have to enable vertical sync. I don't get any tearing when playing on my TV.

Note, there was an old bug in Nvidia drivers that introduce tearing on one of the mirrored screens if using multi-monitors or TV with mirroring enabled.
Are you using mirroring or TV alone ?

If you are in dual-screen and refresh rate of the monitor is different it can also be a cause.

Or another cause, do you force adaptative sync in the drivers ?

Vsync is enabled and I'm using the TV alone. Is there something in Nvidia control panel I have to enable or disable? I'm not near the computer right now so I don't know if forced adaptive sync is on or not.

If you also can't stand the input lag introduced by Vsync, you may want to take a look at this thread. ;)
I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
PC w/ high res texture pack has much higher quality textures than X1X. They do require a lot of VRAM though... 8 GB at 4K.

Late gen games lately are looking much more like medium, low, or lower than low for a lot of variables.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vsync is enabled and I'm using the TV alone. Is there something in Nvidia control panel I have to enable or disable? I'm not near the computer right now so I don't know if forced adaptive sync is on or not.
In the NV Control Panel check if adaptative sync is enabled or not, you can chose to let programs do what they want.
Does it happens with other games ?
In Gears 5 does it still happen if you set a maximum FPS setting ?

Final game has dynamic res right? The tech test didn't.
Yes it does :)

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
PC w/ high res texture pack has much higher quality textures than X1X. They do require a lot of VRAM though... 8 GB at 4K.

Late gen games lately are looking much more like medium, low, or lower than low for a lot of variables.
Anyway to get this running 4k/60 on a 1080ti without losing any noticeable image quality from max settings?

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Did you change the region setting after launching the game ? Mine is still set in a region where the game is unlocked.

Try to cancel and try again, also, quit the game to see if the download starts, maybe some online stuff in the game block the download ?

See if there's Windows Updates waiting, do them first if so.
Try just restarting the Windows Update service or your PC.

Or it's just a temporary problem on MS's servers side.
I didn't change region again, still the one allowing playing.
I also tried a different pc, same story, no download, stuck at 70%.
I guess I'll have to wait, there's nothing I'am aware of I can do.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You need to change CINEMATIC SCALING MODE option in Video settings to Letterbox for proper cutscene aspect ratio and 21:9 gameplay.

Aww yes! Thank you! Wow, they really did think of everything.

On Act 2 now, this is really a step up on the other Gears campaigns. All running smoothly on my 1080ti w/ R7 1700 at 3.7GHz. Great job by the Coalition.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I really, really wish there was a way to skip the splash screens. They take over 30 seconds!

If you start counting the second you click on "Play" in the Xbox app or the MS Store, it takes almost a minute and a half to get to the game's actual menu (which only loads after pressing "Start" in the empty title screen). And this is on an NVMe SSD.

If this were truly Win32, as promised by Phil, I would've already deleted the intro videos from the game's folder.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
So I guess I'm the only one with the random loading stutter eh? Well that's annoying. Wonder how I'm gonna fix it

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Did the tech test had hi res texture? Worried that my 2080 8gig vram isn't enough for it. If xbx is stuck with high even with 9 gigs of vram 8 gigs might not be enough.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I really, really wish there was a way to skip the splash screens. They take over 30 seconds!

If you start counting the second you click on "Play" in the Xbox app or the MS Store, it takes almost a minute and a half to get to the game's actual menu (which only loads after pressing "Start" in the empty title screen). And this is on an NVMe SSD.

If this were truly Win32, as promised by Phil, I would've already deleted the intro videos from the game's folder.

I'm pretty sure the steam version is Win32.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Any US peeps able to get the download working for the high res textures? When I tried it before work the Texture Quality graphics option in-game was pinned to 70%, and Game Pass/Window Store both just had Gears 5 infinitely looping between 'Downloading' and 'Finished Installing'. Was wondering if it's related to the unlock time, and not taking into account the region setting in Windows

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did the tech test had hi res texture? Worried that my 2080 8gig vram isn't enough for it. If xbx is stuck with high even with 9 gigs of vram 8 gigs might not be enough.
I noticed 5 to 6 GB usage (of the 11 of my 2080 Ti) in the graphics benchmark with everything maxed out and ultra textures, 4K resolution, I don't know if it will use more in real gameplay, I haven't checked yet.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Any US peeps able to get the download working for the high res textures? When I tried it before work the Texture Quality graphics option in-game was pinned to 70%, and Game Pass/Window Store both just had Gears 5 infinitely looping between 'Downloading' and 'Finished Installing'. Was wondering if it's related to the unlock time, and not taking into account the region setting in Windows
That happened to me. I just played and enjoyed it.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
On my 2070 I got an avg of 61fps at 75% rendering resolution of 4k (so 1620p) with all ultra settings except SSR on insane using the benchmark. So not much headroom though I did have Nvidia's sharpening filter on which may have dropped a few fps.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
if anyone is playing with a 1080ti & 6700k combo please let me know what performance you are getting :)

Gears 4 performed wonderfully on my rig.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I'm pretty sure the steam version is Win32.

Well, yeah, but Phil said that they'd be "enabling full support for native Win32 games to the Microsoft Store on Windows". He also said that this would "unlock more options for developers and gamers alike, allowing for the customization and control they've come to expect from the open Windows gaming ecosystem".

Not being able to launch the game directly from its executable, change its permissions, or even run it in exclusive full screen doesn't seem like allowing for much control and customization in an open gaming ecosystem. What's the benefit, to end-users?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Getting excellent performance. Have everything at Ultra with screen space reflections turned up to insane at 4k and it's pretty much a locked 60. Game is extremely well optimized.

2080ti
16GB Ram

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
Well, yeah, but Phil said that they'd be "enabling full support for native Win32 games to the Microsoft Store on Windows". He also said that this would "unlock more options for developers and gamers alike, allowing for the customization and control they've come to expect from the open Windows gaming ecosystem".

It's the developers choice. They can choose to encrypt or unencrypt their Windows store app.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
gears 4 was probably the most optimized game i ever played this gen, 4k30frame wih high details on a 1070, (or 1440p60 frame)

i hope 4k60 are possible with a 2070 super on gears 5.