• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which input method are you using?

• Keyboard and mouse

Votes: 161 37.6%
  • Controller

Votes: 235 54.9%
  • Both

Votes: 32 7.5%

• Total voters

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
No exclusive fullscreen mode in the MS Store version of the game, even if it's "Win32". At this point, just release it as UWP, seriously.

That error notification is usually tied to issues within the core system files and settings, it's a very telling sign that something is wrong with your Windows install.

Recent clean install of 1903. Never had any issues. Only happens with Gears 5 and Unavowed - the only two Win32 games downloaded from the MS Store that I have installed. MS is restricting permissions just like with UWP.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Not having good luck trying to download this texture pack. I queued the download from the Graphics menu in game, but both the Windows Store and Game Pass are just repeatedly flipping between downloading and not downloading

Edit: Restarting the game/my machine isn't working either. Maybe it's time-zone related, and for some reason the texture pack download knows that I'm not actually in New Zealand. Hopefully this gets sorted out by tonight cuz the textures without the pack look pretty terrible

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
If you have a high end PC, the insane option to use in general will be "screen space reflections" - it looks a lot better than high or ultra since it is variable glossy.

Oct 25, 2017
quick comparison of Ultra texture pack.

High - game was installing texture pack while i was playing
hI6yxUC.png

Ultra
zy7jJKo.png
Yo wtf, this is kind of a huge difference.

Is 6GB of VRAM enough for that pack?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, that's a good point. UWP games are borderless only, which is why they aren't able to switch HDR on/off as that requires exclusive fullscreen. It makes sense now :D
So I tried during my lunch break and if HDR is not enabled on Windows the game won't force it, it also won't offer the HDR setting.
You even need to restart the game if you enable HDR in Windows after starting the game for the setting to appear.

But as in the beta, it looks really great in HDR.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
There is dynamic resolution by setting the "output resolution" and a "minimum framerate" of 30, 60 or 90.

It is in general very good, but currently has a problem regarding high GPU utilisation.

Sounds great. I am hoping that I will be able to run this in 4k/60/hdr on 1080ti with dynamic resolution.
Too optimistic?

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Start of Act 1 Chapter 3 and the stuttering while loading continues. Even goes as far as messing up the lip sync during cutscenes. I have to work in 20 minutes so I'm going to leave it for now, but hopefully someone works out a fix by the time works done.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Dictator Have you noticed any diagonal artifacting on shadows/AO? You can see it clearly here along where the ice meets the ground, and where the character's knee obscures the ice. This was rendering at 1440p with max settings (including the first shadow setting that has an Insane option)

48682394913_7be0203ed2_o.png

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Dictator Have you noticed any diagonal artifacting on shadows/AO? You can see it clearly here along where the ice meets the ground, and where the character's knee obscures the ice. This was rendering at 1440p with max settings (including the first shadow setting that has an Insane option)

48682394913_7be0203ed2_o.png
What settings are those for ao and shadows?
Probably just some usual rendering artifact with how things are filtered

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Windows store won't let you play gears 5 on gamepass unless you have a certain version of Windows update, absolute joke imo, I thought it was a win32 executable?

The newest windows update adds another 1 min to my windows boot up (10 seconds on my current version, 1 min after update) breaks 1440p support on my TV and adds a weird mouse acceleration that isn't possible to remove even with 3rd party fixes.

I have tried fresh installs, in-place upgrades and even done the upgrade on a seperate PC, all show the same issues so I know it's something the update has broken.

These are known issues in the community and windows team haven't even acknowledged they will fix them but yet they require you to update to play games on gamepass, annoying.

Guess I will be either buying the steam version (provided that even works on older versions of windows) or playing on xbox one x.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will try to max this out with my 9900k/2080ti combo but i don't know if i should play this with HDr in 4K on my 55 Oled or without HDR but in Ultrawide on my 3440x1440p screen...

4K+HDR+Oled or Ultrawide in 3440x1440p?

First world problems i know.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I will try to max this out with my 9900k/2080ti combo but i don't know if i should play this with HDr in 4K on my 55 Oled or without HDR but in Ultrawide on my 3440x1440p screen...

First world problems.

I have the same basic build and monitor choice. I'll just tell you this, either way those framerates are going to be delicious!

Nov 8, 2017
R7 2700
16GB (2x8) DDR4 @ 3000mhz
RTX 2080

Tried Boot Camp so far - At 1440p with "recommended" (max or near max?) I seem to get 90-110 fps. I have capped it at 90.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultrawide is awesome though...

Is the HDr good in Gears 5?
HDR is great in Gears 5!

If you want ultrawide + HDR, try using an ultrawide resolution on your TV, you'll get black bars but UW + HDR :D

Back in the days I played games in 16/9 on my 19" 4/3 CRT PC monitor, I did got used to the black bars quite quickly.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019

I'm in an almost identical situation except my UW has hdr as well. I've grown so accustomed to 21:9 I find it harder to be play without it. Plus moving my PC to my TV would be a pain lol. I still prefer UW regardless.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Big ass TV any day of the week. Playing games on a tiny PC monitor isn't immersive at all.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
The Ultra texture pack is about 3 GB (that's what the Windows Store is telling).

The game now has a dynamic resolution setting with target FPS, like Gears 4.
I don't get how to install it.
As soon as I select "ultra texture", it says "downloading 70%", but it stays like that forever.
Nothing is downloading from the store.
I have no texture pack reference in the store too, should I see something there?

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
That error notification is usually tied to issues within the core system files and settings, it's a very telling sign that something is wrong with your Windows install.
Mmm.... no. That's just a regular behaviour of a UWP app.

Can we stop eating MS bullshit about Win32 versions of their games in Windows Store now? Thank you!

No exclusive fullscreen, locked executable.. if that's their version of "win32 is now allowed in our store!" they can take it back.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Do not increase the ao amount - that just makes it darker and less accurate imo - unintended aesthetic and probably Shows the ao flaws more. Just use the default intensity setting, what ever that may be
Ah, so maybe that's what's causing the artifacts to be more prominent. I'll move it back down to 9 (the default). Thanks

As soon as I select "ultra texture", it says "downloading 70%", but it stays like that forever.
I have no texture pack reference in the store too, should I see something there?
This is what I'm seeing as well. It's possible that the download wont work until the 9PM in your timezone when the game is really supposed to unlock.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It should be downloading.
It also started at 70% here, it weights 3 GB so it may take some time depending on your network speed.
Check from time to time if it moves.
Also check in the Task Manager if there's some network activity in the Performances tab.

It may not appear in the Store as it's some kind of hidden download, mine showed it with no name and no image.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Ran through Gears 4 on the weekend on the weekend on my 1080ti at 4K60 ultra with no real issues besides the odd pause in transitions sometimes. Gears 5 looking better and running fine 4K60 ultra and I'm not getting those hitches anymore, plus HDR and ATMOS. This is one very optimised game.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Mmm.... no. That's just a regular behaviour of a UWP app.

Can we stop eating MS bullshit about Win32 versions of their games in Windows Store now? Thank you!

No exclusive fullscreen, locked executable.. if that's their version of "win32 is now allowed in our store!" they can take it back.

Exactly. This is just a reskin of UWP. UWP in Win32's clothing, if you will.

I didn't even know it was possible to do such a thing. Why aren't more people talking about it? Microsoft promised Win32 games in their Store and deliver this? Extremely disappointing, to say the least. I honestly regret signing up for Game Pass now.

Can anyone confirm if the Steam version runs in DX11? Because the MS Store one is DX12.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So, how much VRAM do you need for the texture pack? I'm on a 980 ti so 6GB of VRAM. I feel like most packs these days are for 8+ GB of VRAM folk but figured I'd ask.

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What settings can I expect to run this on with a 1080ti, 8700k, with 16 gb of RAM? Already have it preloaded on Steam. Very excited to try it!

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Ran through Gears 4 on the weekend on the weekend on my 1080ti at 4K60 ultra with no real issues besides the odd pause in transitions sometimes. Gears 5 looking better and running fine 4K60 ultra and I'm not getting those hitches anymore, plus HDR and ATMOS. This is one very optimised game.

With dynamic resolution enabled, I assume? I can only get a locked 60fps on my 1080 Ti in 3200x1800, and that's with a few settings set to "high" (Dynamic Shadow Quality, Capsule Shadow Quality, Ambient Occlusion Quality and Volumetric Fog Quality - the ones I found had the least impact on image quality).

i7-7700K and 32GB of RAM.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm just on Chapter 2 of Act 1 and absolutely loving this game.

My only gripe is on my 1440p UW monitor, it seems to just zoom in on cutscenes to fill the screen, rather than staying the same distance and rendering the new parts of the scene to the sides. I'd much prefer if they just made the cutscenes 16:9 with black bars to either side, rather than zooming all the way in to fill the 21:9 aspect ratio. Guess I'll play on 16:9 (2560x1440) with black bars either side for the first playthrough.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
It should be downloading.
It also started at 70% here, it weights 3 GB so it may take some time depending on your network speed.
Check from time to time if it moves.
Also check in the Task Manager if there's some network activity in the Performances tab.

It may not appear in the Store as it's some kind of hidden download, mine showed it with no name and no image.
Unfortunately it won't move even after half an hour.
I guess there's nothing I can do.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
With dynamic resolution enabled, I assume? I can only get a locked 60fps on my 1080 Ti in 3200x1800, and that's with a few settings set to "high" (Dynamic Shadow Quality, Capsule Shadow Quality, Ambient Occlusion Quality and Volumetric Fog Quality - the ones I found had the least impact on image quality).

i7-7700K and 32GB of RAM.
Nope I'm at 100% resolution at 4K, got 32GB and a 7700K like yourself, odd, it wasn't holding up this well in the beta, I didn't touch any of the particle sliders and nothing is on insane, might be the difference!

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately it won't move even after half an hour.
I guess there's nothing I can do.
Did you change the region setting after launching the game ? Mine is still set in a region where the game is unlocked.

Try to cancel and try again, also, quit the game to see if the download starts, maybe some online stuff in the game block the download ?

See if there's Windows Updates waiting, do them first if so.
Try just restarting the Windows Update service or your PC.

Or it's just a temporary problem on MS's servers side.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Nope I'm at 100% resolution at 4K, got 32GB and a 7700K like yourself, odd, it wasn't holding up this well in the beta, I didn't touch any of the particle sliders and nothing is on insane, might be the difference!

That is odd. I didn't change anything except for the settings that I mentioned, and have nothing on "insane", either.

Would you mind sharing screenshots of your settings, so that I can replicate them?

Also, are you playing the MS Store version?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Windows store won't let you play gears 5 on gamepass unless you have a certain version of Windows update, absolute joke imo, I thought it was a win32 executable?

The newest windows update adds another 1 min to my windows boot up (10 seconds on my current version, 1 min after update) breaks 1440p support on my TV and adds a weird mouse acceleration that isn't possible to remove even with 3rd party fixes.

I have tried fresh installs, in-place upgrades and even done the upgrade on a seperate PC, all show the same issues so I know it's something the update has broken.

These are known issues in the community and windows team haven't even acknowledged they will fix them but yet they require you to update to play games on gamepass, annoying.

Guess I will be either buying the steam version (provided that even works on older versions of windows) or playing on xbox one x.

It doesn't need KB4512941 does it? Thats the optional update that apparently causes high CPU usage.

Nov 8, 2017
Playing with resolution / framerate target settings and benchmarking. The amount of data you get out of this bench is an erotic experience, and Gears 4 was already industry leading.

I think the framerate cap is subtly wonky, but in general I'm very pleased with the ability to set reconstruction thresholds for resolution. It looks very convincing even while subnative / temporally up-scaling to 1440p. My only real complaint/desire would be to have more fine grained control - 30/60/90 is okish but 72 as a target would be nice, and arbitrary targets would be phenomenal.

Oct 27, 2017

It has Atmos? I was planning on playing it with mouse keyboard and 1440p monitor but if it has Atmos I might suffer through using a controller and my tv.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 1080ti, 3700x, 32 gigs of RAM, and a 4K/144hz monitor.

Good thing there are so many options. I am going to need to know what to tweak to get a good framerate.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
So I'm just on Chapter 2 of Act 1 and absolutely loving this game.

My only gripe is on my 1440p UW monitor, it seems to just zoom in on cutscenes to fill the screen, rather than staying the same distance and rendering the new parts of the scene to the sides. I'd much prefer if they just made the cutscenes 16:9 with black bars to either side, rather than zooming all the way in to fill the 21:9 aspect ratio. Guess I'll play on 16:9 (2560x1440) with black bars either side for the first playthrough.
You need to change CINEMATIC SCALING MODE option in Video settings to Letterbox for proper cutscene aspect ratio and 21:9 gameplay.

Last edited: