• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So I start up with Gears, play the tutorial, then back out to download a Nvidia update (just got back from vacation), and now the game won't launch. Xbox (beta) just minimizes and nothing happens. My GP account is up to date, but in the profile/account/subs box it errors out and "my subs failed to load", when I click "manage" and get sent to the MS account page its fine there. Listed with correct payment info and dates and etc.

Any idea whats up? Again, I played just fine, did an update, now it won't launch.

Its hard to search this, because I only find issues relating to either playing early or a beta of the game....

OP
OP
gdt

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Done both. If fact when I rebooted after the Nvidia update there were some W10 updates too.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Had hope for this but no progress. Did another update and nothing. The fuck man.

Try running WSReset.exe to remove the windows store cache without affecting installed apps (should be searchable in start menu)

If it doesn't work try reseting the xbox app and windows store app in the windows program settings

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
if it still doesn't work try moving the game to another drive through the windows program settings (you can try moving it back after if it works)

OP
OP
gdt

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So I quick downloaded a game (Bridge Portal) and it worked just fine.

All of my windows stuff is up to date (just checked and it says so), so I guess my current recourse is a re download for some reason.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm won't let me move it. Error code 0x80073cf0

Shit, might have to redownload.

Quick google says it's a cache issue. Storminormin 's link is a good place to start.

If for some reason it doesn't work you can try manually taking control of the DeliveryOptimization folder and deleting its contents

So I quick downloaded a game (Bridge Portal) and it worked just fine.

All of my windows stuff is up to date (just checked and it says so), so I guess my current recourse is a re download for some reason.

A redownload is probably the easiest solution if you don't have a bandwidth cap or didn't want to play tonight.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I was unable to boot Gears 5 on PC the other day, in which i just needed to login into the Xbox Companion App, and then it worked. Could try that.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It does seem like an Xbox Auth issue. Open Task Manager -> Services -> Verify that Xbox Live Auth service is running.

OP
OP
gdt

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Woah weird. Just unistalled, but it freed up no space at all. I can't find the game in apps or programs either.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
I downloaded the game from Windows Store and had the same issue at Act 3, logged out of the Windows account using the Windows Store app and logged back in which fixed the issue for me. At the same time the Xbox Live status in the Xbox settings was "having issues" or something, which explained the thing.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I was having an issue getting it started last night after downloading, managed to fix it by doing different things and restarting my machine. When they say GamePass on PC is in beta, they mean it. *sigh*

OP
OP
gdt

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, after messing about with a massive file in the hidden Windows Apps folder and getting permission to delete it I got my space back.

Then I had to repair the Xbox app and now I'm finally redownloading. Wtf man. It better work after all this.

But the tutorial felt great when I played.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn this is super frustrating. Can't figure this out.

Oop sorry wasn't following the thread these past hours. Knowing how to take control of a folder is something you may need to do again in the future. Windows 10 just loves to lock shit up real tight.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had this problem, but it turned out it was just a communication error between the xbox account and windows account. I use two different ones, and my gamepass is not on my windows account. It took me forever to figure out I could only switch it to the xbox account by clicking the notification at the top of the app.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, after messing about with a massive file in the hidden Windows Apps folder and getting permission to delete it I got my space back.

Then I had to repair the Xbox app and now I'm finally redownloading. Wtf man. It better work after all this.
Gotta love that Windows store.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ugh I am getting this issue with Gears 5 as well. Bought and downloaded it. Had it for a few months, then began to play it. Then after I signed up to gamepass ultimate, it undownloaded the game for some bloody reason. Then I redownloaded it and now it is installing some 7gb update (probably ultra textures) and not letting me launch. Pretty poor experience. Kind of just want to complete Gears 5 and then delete it to be honest.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Unrelated , but Wasteland 3 was doing an update and it got an error . So I had to download the whole game again . Ms stuff can be so frustrating sometimes

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Yeah, I personally much prefer steam in all ways apart from how cheap gamepass can be. Never had any issues with downloading from there.
The only issue I ever had with steam that I can remember is darksiders 1 freezing at a certain point.

I've had numerous issues with w10 store . It has gotten better with the gamepass app but there are still some issues that crop up here and there that are very annoying

Sir Swish

Oct 26, 2017
I've Just had this problem with slay the spire. Been playing it fine for like a month then came to launch it and it wont do any thing, I've repaired it, reset it and re installed it but nothing seems to work.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have Asus Sonic Studio III app installed? I know Metro on GamePass did not start for me until I uninstalled that app.