• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried it, but there is now a 20 wave horde option for custom games. Wasn't the classic horde event 20 waves?

All this timed horde events are 20 waves, but in custom games you can't change the ruleset of horde besides the modifiers.

Classic horde was a mode where there are no classes, fabricators and all that stuff from modern gears, so is an different ruleset than the current mode. And is the same with Jingle Juvies

agiantsheep

Oct 27, 2017
All this timed horde events are 20 waves, but in custom games you can't change the ruleset of horde besides the modifiers.

Classic horde was a mode where there are no classes, fabricators and all that stuff from modern gears, so is an different ruleset than the current mlde. And is the same with Jingle Juvies

Ah, I thought the other events were using the 12 wave frenzies. I did wonder why the 3 custom options were just labelled "Horde", "Horde Frenzy", and... "Horde".

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Ranked matches are rigged.

I play solo and everytime in about to make master, I get paired with the worst team on the planet or its unplayable with lag. Then the points lost will take 3-5 matches to make up.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
this new tuning is horrible, it feels like my character has a disconnect between controller actions and what happens on screen.

so many delays and nerfs

www.gears5.com

Gears 5

Explore Gears 5

Last edited:

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is definitely a step up over gears 4, jaw-dropping beautiful throughout. I'm glad I waited till I got an OLED panel to play this game. The open world hubs were by far the worst part of the game, they were pretty to look at but just horribly tacked on. Definitely excited to see where this franchise goes.

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
This game is definitely a step up over gears 4, jaw-dropping beautiful throughout. I'm glad I waited till I got an OLED panel to play this game. The open world hubs were by far the worst part of the game, they were pretty to look at but just horribly tacked on. Definitely excited to see where this franchise goes.

I loved the concept of the open world feel, but I felt it lacked any type of personality and felt bare like the devs rushed it or had no idea what to add to it. Sure there was a side objective for Paduk here and there, but honestly it was a huge missed opportunity. If they would go that route again, I do hope they make it feel more alive and actually like the planet is alive verses massive areas of nothingness.

Definitely agree however how its a step over Gears 4. It felt like The Coalition got their footing and confidence to craft an actual Gears game that felt like Gears. Story was pretty good.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the concept of the open world feel, but I felt it lacked any type of personality and felt bare like the devs rushed it or had no idea what to add to it. Sure there was a side objective for Paduk here and there, but honestly it was a huge missed opportunity. If they would go that route again, I do hope they make it feel more alive and actually like the planet is alive verses massive areas of nothingness.

Definitely agree however how its a step over Gears 4. It felt like The Coalition got their footing and confidence to craft an actual Gears game that felt like Gears. Story was pretty good.

I don't know if the gears shooting rhythm can vibe in an open world setting without losing something. I enjoyed the campaign (bugs aside), and really enjoyed hive busters. The game looks incredible, and I don't think it gets enough recognition for it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Instead of a open world hub where you cant use gears iconic mechanics at all I feel that the game needs more scenes where you could breath a bit, learn lore and all that stuff. For example Im playing coop with my friends and they enjoyed the part where you go to the outsiders village

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
seconded. Judgment is fine, but nobody really wanted a Baird-fronted game.

I thought the story was interesting enough. I played it through..games with gold(?) a long time ago on 360. Gears cover based TPS combat is still best in class, so if you get through everything else and want more Gears it's worth playing. Completely optional story wise though.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Does Gears 5 split screen work in versus mode and against actual players? I've searched online and can only find information on the campaign.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
It's wild to me that they're already ending support. The post-launch updates this game got were not good at all, most of it coming in the form of putting old characters back in and then porting over Gears 4 maps. A great disappointment.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
2 more operations plus the rest of 6 is like 8 more months of content before EOL.
No, with Op 6 ending, it's maybe six, but I expect nothing. Even after their statements about changing how they deliver content, Op 6 had all of two maps (one of which was a port of Speyer) and like seven characters.

I expect four maps (and they'll be ports) and a handful of characters.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild to me that they're already ending support. The post-launch updates this game got were not good at all, most of it coming in the form of putting old characters back in and then porting over Gears 4 maps. A great disappointment.

this game was a train wreck of post launch support. overhauls, developer turnaround, unkept promises and just an utter lack of direction in the studio

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
this game was a train wreck of post launch support. overhauls, developer turnaround, unkept promises and just an utter lack of direction in the studio
Yeah, and it was made worse by how bereft of content it was at launch. They're going to end up only delivering like 13 new multiplayer maps total, of which some of them are trash like Icebound and Pahanu.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Operations are content drops that have progressively been lackluster in scope

(maps, modes, characters, skins, MTX junk)

Oct 25, 2017
Curious, what made Gears 5 multiplayer such a let down? I played a lot of Gears 4 but never got around to do the same with 5, does the community have distaste for this game?

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Curious, what made Gears 5 multiplayer such a let down? I played a lot of Gears 4 but never got around to do the same with 5, does the community have distaste for this game?

Lack of content at launch. Bad weapon balance that has changed probably a dozen times since launch. A revolving door of game modes + game mode changes. Incredibly poor map design, especially on the launch maps. Trying to make Arcade mode a thing.

Gears 5's multiplayer has felt like one giant beta for Gears 6, in terms of TC actually figuring out what the hell they want Gears MP to be. Whether Gears 6 will actually benefit, who knows. I hope so. If not, I feel like we're heading for a reboot.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
initial map count was low, map quality was low, Ranking system was a flawed mess, the move to 4v4 from 5v5, Gnasher going through what seemed like 10 different versions, other weapons nerfed into the ground, squad restrictions that stopped friends from playing with each other, the Operations were supposed to be a 3 month cadence that morphed into 4.

some of this is personal preference but the overall playerbase has similar issues.

the overall vision of what MP was supposed to be changed as developers moved into and out of positions in the studio. the turnover at TC was drastic.

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of content at launch. Bad weapon balance that has changed probably a dozen times since launch. A revolving door of game modes + game mode changes. Incredibly poor map design, especially on the launch maps. Trying to make Arcade mode a thing.

Gears 5's multiplayer has felt like one giant beta for Gears 6, in terms of TC actually figuring out what the hell they want Gears MP to be. Whether Gears 6 will actually benefit, who knows. I hope so. If not, I feel like we're heading for a reboot.
initial map count was low, map quality was low, Ranking system was a flawed mess, the move to 4v4 from 5v5, Gnasher going through what seemed like 10 different versions, other weapons nerfed into the ground, squad restrictions that stopped friends from playing with each other, the Operations were supposed to be a 3 month cadence that morphed into 4.

some of this is personal preference but the overall playerbase has similar issues.

the overall vision of what MP was supposed to be changed as developers moved into and out of positions in the studio. the turnover at TC was drastic.
I think I get the picture. I tried the multiplayer when it launched and I remember hating arcade mode and put the game down until just very recently.

I don't remember Gears 4 having most of these issues? I think the Gnasher got some changes along with the competitive mode balancing but the maps were pretty good (if not just a little too safe)?

There's a big lack of Gears 5 content on YouTube too. I searched hoping to find a solid PvP primer in 2021 and there's next to nothing...

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Gears 4 was tuned to perfection and I loved playing it. I was all aboard the Gears 5 hype train but...it played different. It didn't feel like Gears and it wasn't enjoyable as a Gears game. Don't get me started on putting Terminator characters in my Gears universe.

Best to move on and try again with Gears Infinite.

Also, reboot the narrative. Gears 5 campaign ending (the decision) also messed that up.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah damn. I was hoping Gears 5 would be my gateway to Gears multiplayer. Oh well, I'll still check it out and see if it clicks with me.
For what it's worth, most of the complaints I've been hearing are from the hardcore and pro players. As a casual experience, Gears 5 is plenty fun and worth playing. Just stay away from Arcade mode (it's gone for now but it'll probably return very soon).

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Well it was definitely weird as operations have just been adding skins that we've had around with easy access in Gears 4. Burned a lot a of time in 3 & 4.
5 was good but i couldn't get my normal group to maintain decent play time on that iteration.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I like the PVE changes a lot, it's too bad though they couldn't add more cards to Promotional Classes since that would really help them feel more equivalent.

Oct 25, 2017
i recently got a series X, so finally played through Gears of Four (I didn't have a One and don't game much on my PC nowadays).

i had enough fun with the campaign to stick through it, but the robots just weren't much fun to interact with (and there was only a single encounter with cross-faction interaction?! what?).

Gears 5 (I've played up to the end of the first open world section) seems like a big step up so far.

also whoever thought the catapult shooting in the wind at the turret was a good idea is having a fucking laugh

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn Gears ERA is dead huh? Feels bad man.

I redownloaded the game on my PC after playing some Gears Tactics for the first time. Got me itching to Gnash some fools.

For some reason I can't get the PC benchmark to work... at all. I hit C on the keyboard but nothing happens, nor does holding the key down.

I'm trying to see what kind of FPS I'm getting to squeeze out the most visuals possible. :(

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia

@GearsofWar: Gear up for your next mission and jump into the #Gears5 5x XP event! Play any PvP or PvE event this week and you'll get V-Day Marcus when Op 8 Drop 2 launches. 👊

Live now until 10 am PT September 13, 2021. https://t.co/jhp0E1yy0p

Marcus is a cool freebee honestly. Was really hoping for V-DAY Dom or Baird.

Also we are getting Valera, Barak(both of those from Rise of Raam), Oscar, and The Rager(Gears Judgment) as a drop in wave 2 coming.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I just played a few matches of Gears 3 (with that sweet 60FPS), a game I put in hundreds of hours back then, but now everything feels so stiff, clunky and that shaky cam while roadie running is making me seasick, lol. Coalition`s games, especially Gears 5, are such an improvement over the old titles in terms of movement and controls, it`s not even funny.