• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played since around a month or two after launch, so I'm kinda overwhelmed by the sheer volume of changes. I bought the game in that bundle with Tactics when they were on a pricing error ($25 instead of $50), so I figured I'd get it to play co-op with my buddy who was wanting to try the story.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I really enjoyed the Skiff section but if they occurred in a more dynamic and more "linear" space it'll be great fun. Backtracking is a pain in the ass.

Gears 2-3 always had vehicle sections that are always bridges between narrative locations / palette cleansers.

Maybe the two can be combined.

The main characters can travel on a hub vehicle in between narrative important set piece locations (perhaps entire Gears 5 levels) in wide but linear "corridors" populated with randomized encounters, mini-"dungeons", events, etc.

The vehicle itself will be drivable and have offensive abilities like an Assault Derrick or oversized COG tank. It should be sturdy and have enough firepower to deal with surprise Corpser, Swarmak, and other heavy Swarm attacks.

Of course the vehicle be upgradeable too. It should also have a fabricator + weapons locker + collectible showcase.

Last edited:

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Massive, massive changes to the Gnasher in the upcoming dev playlist.

Also FFA is going from 14 players to 8 players and will be playable on some normal maps. Ranked TDM is coming back as a 4v4 mode with only solo/duo queue allowed.

https://www.gears5.com/whats-up-july-30-2020
Big changes, very ambitious. We'll see how that goes down.

im in favor of the KOTH scoring change. It's crazy that I get 60+ elims cuz I'm taking angles and defending the point from afar but I'm at the bottom of the leaderboard because other dudes letting idiots break the ring and get lots of caps.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting choice to bring back TDM as a 4v4 playlist with limited team queue sizes.

Also, liking the Gnasher changes. I imagine they'll be unpopular among a lot of folks, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I watched some of the tournament this weekend and it makes me want to play again. Gnasher changes seem real interesting though I haven't kept up with how it has evolved through the life of this game. I liked it around launch time.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I watched some of the tournament this weekend and it makes me want to play again. Gnasher changes seem real interesting though I haven't kept up with how it has evolved through the life of this game. I liked it around launch time.
the players were still on the old mechanics. the new Dev Playlist goes live Thursday with the changes but it's unclear when it goes live into everything else.

EDIT: looks like they updated the July 30th What's Up to show how much help we're getting in magnetism.

current
Magnetism-ADS-Before-5f232dcbd9b13-1024x576.png

new
Magnetism-ADS-After-5f232dea2baf8-1024x576.png

I foresee lot s of players complain about shots not registering with these changes.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
played two matches on the dev playlist so far and it's definitely harder to land full shots with the Gnasher now. kinda crazy how much this has been helping all this time. I almost don't want to even bother with the retail version now because it's just going to teach bad aiming habits.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested to see how the new changes to the gnasher are received. I know people who banged out gears 1 back in the days and they complain the current gnasher misses shots would be interested to see how the new version is received probably worse.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna take some getting used to. I can't hit wraparounds to save my life now. Keep getting bodied. These are good changes, though. The reduced power of the Lancer means I'm getting sprayed down less, and the reduced magnetism on the Gnasher means neither myself nor my opponents can just blindly hipfire a perfect shot from a 70 degree angle from the barrel.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Haven't played in months and hopped on.

Shit is still unplayable for me.

Disclosure, I'm wireless currently.
But I'll have a low ping, but then constant errors.

I shouldn't even bother.
Which makes me sad.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The bullet magnetism is kind of wild. I think will be a reality check for a lot of people. In those developer screenshots, it basically turned a scratch into a solid body shot with some hitting the head. I never knew it was so much, was it always like that?

I played some King of the Hill ranked and had some good games. Matchmaking was snappy too which is nice, I like this ranking system they've put in. You know exactly where you stand which is cool.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
The bullet magnetism is kind of wild. I think will be a reality check for a lot of people. In those developer screenshots, it basically turned a scratch into a solid body shot with some hitting the head. I never knew it was so much, was it always like that?

I played some King of the Hill ranked and had some good games. Matchmaking was snappy too which is nice, I like this ranking system they've put in. You know exactly where you stand which is cool.

I think over the course of the franchise it's been steadily increasing. some have said the strafe Gnasher battles are more akin to the Gears 1 style with this tuning

up until the studio shake up earlier this year It's been a steady push to attract more casuals into the game and making it easier to gib people was a direction they were going in.

In Gears, found out 90% of first time players don't play a second multiplayer match if they don't get a kill. That first game's important...

— Lee Perry Yo! (@MrLeePerry) September 2, 2017

Lee Perry works at Epic but these kinds of stats were going to influenced how TC made Gears after MS bought the IP.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
I tried out the dev playlist, strafing feels much more useful and I also felt like I was more likely to get out of situations where more than one person was shooting me with the gnasher. Still had some shocking instant kills either way but that's gears.

Wouldn't this change give even more of an advantage to wall bouncers? That is the one thing I refuse to partake in on gears since the original.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think over the course of the franchise it's been steadily increasing. some have said the strafe Gnasher battles are more akin to the Gears 1 style with this tuning

up until the studio shake up earlier this year It's been a steady push to attract more casuals into the game and making it easier to gib people was a direction they were going in.

Lee Perry works at Epic but these kinds of stats were going to influenced how TC made Gears after MS bought the IP.

I think Gears 3 was my favorite but I'm definitely not opposed to a more "honest", I guess, system. If there's less BS then even if the game is harder, it's on me to get better which is great. The frustrating thing is when you can't tell or you feel the game is fighting against you.

I tried out the dev playlist, strafing feels much more useful and I also felt like I was more likely to get out of situations where more than one person was shooting me with the gnasher. Still had some shocking instant kills either way but that's gears.

Wouldn't this change give even more of an advantage to wall bouncers? That is the one thing I refuse to partake in on gears since the original.
Kind of but I think it balances out. It's hard to hit them maybe but it's also harder for them to hit. The bullet magnetism seemed extremely generous based on that screenshot though maybe it's the norm. That means that while you're sliding and dancing all over the place you're getting some massive help from the game in landing shots. You're not getting that anymore but people won't be able to hit you either as well either until they get better.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017

the slide into cover speeds have been reduced with these changes.

the game currently has a delay to health regen when bouncing around that isn't going away.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys, that all makes sense. I didn't see anything bad in my limited time on the playlist. In fact I enjoyed the sometimes longer strafe dances. If this is the most technically accurate and reliable way the gnasher should work then I see no reason why they shouldn't roll out it properly.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys, that all makes sense. I didn't see anything bad in my limited time on the playlist. In fact I enjoyed the sometimes longer strafe dances. If this is the most technically accurate and reliable way the gnasher should work then I see no reason why they shouldn't roll out it properly.

That's my thought as well. I don't really want to be helped by the game that much and I'd rather more opportunities for maneuvering and making plays. If it's too easy to gib then it becomes harder to outplay which is the highlight of gears to me. I'm sure there's a balance to be struck but those developer screenshots really stuck out for me as way too much help. It's turning a glancing blow, nearly a complete miss, into a kill. I think there's quite a bit of magnetism with the Longshot as well, I'd like to see that demonstrated like they did for the Gnasher though I have to admit it feels great to pop those heads with it. It feels a lot easier though and I'd like to know that I'm getting better through skill and practice vs. adjustments to bullet magnetism and auto-aim.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
The new ranked system doesn't make sense to me. It's just a grind fest it doesn't get you to your skill bracket quick enough. My friend who I play with always ends up onyx every season. Right now we're both the same rank and that doesn't look like changing anytime soon since the bulk of your points comes from wins so we're ranking up together.

With the old system he would rank up much quicker because of points and comparing your overall skill to the enemy team.

It feels really weird and not skill based just a long grind up a ladder.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
The new ranked system doesn't make sense to me. It's just a grind fest it doesn't get you to your skill bracket quick enough. My friend who I play with always ends up onyx every season. Right now we're both the same rank and that doesn't look like changing anytime soon since the bulk of your points comes from wins so we're ranking up together.

With the old system he would rank up much quicker because of points and comparing your overall skill to the enemy team.

It feels really weird and not skill based just a long grind up a ladder.

so the ranking system used to be a 80/20 split in favor of personal performance. they then flipped it to 80-team 20-personal. this was also before the new Ranking system (Operation4) even came into effect and was done because people would complain about winning and losing rank.

I was in a similar situation with my group. in the past we ranged from Bronze to Diamond(me) and now it's been a much more even climb with me barely getting into Gold with the rest not far behind in Silver1-3.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I get onyx I run into a godlike onyx five stack lancering us down from every position and it's back to gold 3. Very very difficult to ge to diamond solo like past operations. I remember some games when you really wiped them out and got like 2000+ ranked points. Now you barely make up what you put on the line lol

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
The new system is very transparent but I don't think it works for ranked. I don't know what the current consensus is on ranked systems but the old school placement matches > set your MMR > get much better to move up makes the most sense to me.

Not everyone should start at the at the same rank after 4/5 games. Points shouldn't be capped the way they are, I'm (silver player) getting the same gp for eliminations as an onyx because I'm tapping them with the lancer for assists meanwhile the onyx player is blowing them up with the gnasher.

I know it's a new system that they can tweak but it could also have something to do with the horrible player population at least on ranked KOTH crossplay (EU). I think they should add input based matchmaking with crossplay enabled at all times. It works fine on modern warfare.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
That's my thought as well. I don't really want to be helped by the game that much and I'd rather more opportunities for maneuvering and making plays. If it's too easy to gib then it becomes harder to outplay which is the highlight of gears to me. I'm sure there's a balance to be struck but those developer screenshots really stuck out for me as way too much help. It's turning a glancing blow, nearly a complete miss, into a kill. I think there's quite a bit of magnetism with the Longshot as well, I'd like to see that demonstrated like they did for the Gnasher though I have to admit it feels great to pop those heads with it. It feels a lot easier though and I'd like to know that I'm getting better through skill and practice vs. adjustments to bullet magnetism and auto-aim.
It's wild to me how the gnasher can simultaneously be so absurdly consistent up close due to favoring bad aim with heavy magnetism, while simultaneously being super inconsistent at a distance thanks to randomness with pop-shots and hipfire spread. The new changes aren't something I'm used to, but I feel like it'll be an immense improvement if they hit the final build.

I'm grateful that Gears 5 doesn't have "core" and "competitive" tuning unlike previous entries in the series, and I hope these changes don't also come with a return to that mold. It was always super frustrating going from casual matches with some friends to ranked matches with others, and having that "adjustment" period where I was constantly eating shit due to how differently weapons handled.

The old magnetism took the wind out of my sails in a lot of duels that I feel like I should've won, but didn't due to bullets bending through time and space to turn me into mulch. Conversely, there's a lot of times where I feel like my kills were totally unearned because of how heavily magnetism favored my shots. I want the gnasher to be a test of movement, timing, and precision more than I want an easy delete button I can whip out when under pressure.

I'm not so sure about your hypothesis concerning Longshot magnetism, though. There's a lot of shots I've had where I'm slightly off-target, and those narrows misses definitely left skulls intact.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking about Gears 5 and then hear the changes they've made and realize for multiplayer Gears 4 was as good as it was ever gonna get.

*Sigh*.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This right here is why I don't like what they've done to the MP.

Just make a causal arcade mode and leave competitive alone.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I have been having miserable luck with my dailies. I'm at the final five tiers of the ToD, and the challenges total out to about six or eight stars per day.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
www.gears5.com

Gears 5

Explore Gears 5

Ever since we added the latest tuning into the developer playlist – we've been overwhelmed with questions about when it will be added to Versus. The time is NOW! (well, next Tuesday)

lots of balancing stuff for Horde characters, bug fixes, and that ridiculous sticky cover issue is gone.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
On my final 30 stars before I finally get the Cosmonaut! I'm pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to hit max rank this tour compared to the first ToD (the last one where I actually played regularly, since my GP subscription lapsed and I picked the game up on Steam a month ago).

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Man Lahni so close to be viable in Horde higher difficulties, I wish instead of adding melee damage to her resist card they just gave her Paduk's generic 15M damage resistance.
Engineer perks will be fun, though disappointing to see it just be the same for all 3, Del doesn't really need ultimate cool down so I wish they had something else to mix it up.
Cole changes seem fine, though I think burning needs a bit of a change if Pyromanic is going to ever be use.
The new hive is so silly to the point where I wonder if its to test people if they care about performance drops before they allowed unlimited classes.

Last edited:

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Hopped back in because of the ultimate perks and mostly playing luck of the draw arms race which is fun. Got the Kryll weapon set with coins, best one yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
My first "Half Dozen" ribbon. Also have to say I'm loving that they brought the dev tuning to the rest of the game. It feels so much better. You can actually Gnasher battle again.