• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KiLLaDeZo

Banned
Mar 27, 2018
Horde would be so much damn better if it didn't show you the score after every damn round, it takes too damn long. Just keep it going like COD zombies ..

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
A Horde Mode "Classic" would be great. The mode has has gotten good changes but as you said, they've been making the matches longer and longer.
5 seems to try and fix that somewhat as it's not as fabricator heavy as 4, but i'd still love a "Kill enemies every wave and just buy weapons like in Arcade Mode".
Seems like a simple way to cut it down to 30 minutes even with 50 waves.

I like this idea a lot and definitely feel it should be implemented.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
loved it, I really did not like gears 4, felt like a cash grab on a dead franchise but gears 5 was leagues better and really lives up the OG trilogy.

I let JD die, but after seeing how heart broken marcus was I had to go back and kill del instead, Marcus lost everybody dude doesn't deserve that. Hope Del is the canon ending and JD and kait are the protags in the next game. I also wish the Hammer of dawn was more satisfying, felt super light weight.

Same for me, but I realized it in my first and only playthrough so far. I also believe it will be the canon outcome.

Glad you're loving the game man.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who disliked Gears 4 a fair bit, this was pretty great. Shame the story completely fell apart and got nowhere though.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Was able to snatch 1%( and top 16 on Descent) on the two expiring Hives, Descent is no joke, I find almost impossible not to abandon someone on the 2nd chapter

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Found my first frustrating section on my Insane run. This Hollow Storm side mission in act 2 is a massive pain in the ass. A Warden plus 5 snipers and a bunch of grunts. It's set up like you're meant to take half of them out quietly but the stealth mechanics in this game are non existent.
The stealth mechanics are very existent and that is the perfect area to execute them. It took me many tries to get the pathing behavior down and figure out a good order to approach all the enemies in there; I was seen by the very last enemy (not counting the heavy), so I only had to mop him up and then focus on the heavy, but I did it.

Here's how that run played out; I still can't get over how it ended!

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
So Team Deathmatch in MP is basically camp and wait?

It's terrible. Been playing since the release and more and more people are just waiting and that's it. Lancer just ruined this game mode, no dynamic, no nothing. Really disappointed.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
So Team Deathmatch in MP is basically camp and wait?

It's terrible. Been playing since the release and more and more people are just waiting and that's it. Lancer just ruined this game mode, no dynamic, no nothing. Really disappointed.
I've been playing since launch and haven't experienced that once lol. Still classic Gears with the Gnasher being dominant. It's nice that the Lancer is actually useful now though. It's not really viable just sitting with the Lancer because it's so easy to rush with the Gnasher and flash.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I feel so useless to my teams in Gears multiplayer that make me end rage quit and uninstall the game. I cant do a single kill in KOTH. In other way, opp team probably love me 😂

I struggle on arcade to btw but at least i kill someone there! 😅 put it to install again to give another chance.. i know this going to end the same way as before but yea.

Some people have been playing the game since day one. 12, 13 years Hardcore. They zoom around, move like smoke, and know all the tricks by heart. They've played so much, they could body in the dark.

Was able to snatch 1%( and top 16 on Descent) on the two expiring Hives, Descent is no joke, I find almost impossible not to abandon someone on the 2nd chapter

We should play a round so you can carry my butt to the glory land, the top of the leader boards.
I got a level nine linda hamilton, level six Lahni, and level 5 Mac D. Everyone esle is lev one.
Is your GT the same as here?

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing since launch and haven't experienced that once lol. Still classic Gears with the Gnasher being dominant. It's nice that the Lancer is actually useful now though. It's not really viable just sitting with the Lancer because it's so easy to rush with the Gnasher and flash.

Maybe it has something with my ranked level, but today I played 5 rounds, everyone is just camp and wait behind corners. My team, their team, all of them, just waiting with gnashers.

If someone tries to run to their "base", he can just be melted with Lancer. Yes, it is useful, but for keeping enemies at a distance while they try to bring some dynamic into the game.

KotH is, of course, different story, but unplayable with squad of mates.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Ugh, I was really enjoying this game until Act 2. The open-world thing is just crushing my enjoyment of what was previously a very linear experience. I get it, every game has this type of thing now, its a good way to get "buy in" from the masses but I just didn't expect it to be in Gears. All power to those who wanted the series to expand into this type of thing but I have no interest in driving a skiff from point-to-point just....because.

Multiplayer is phenomenal.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The stealth mechanics are very existent and that is the perfect area to execute them. It took me many tries to get the pathing behavior down and figure out a good order to approach all the enemies in there; I was seen by the very last enemy (not counting the heavy), so I only had to mop him up and then focus on the heavy, but I did it.

Ha ha - those pro strats!

I also managed to get most enemies there using stealth. It's certainly feasible to get them all down with practice.

As many others have posted over the last few days - I found Chapter 4 and 5 of act 2 pretty tough (only on "experienced" difficulty). I was expecting a bad boss in chapter 5 so was mentally up for it. I found the fight fairly straight forwards until the last section of health where loads of new moves come into play...plus some random bullshit deaths. I ultimately won by saving my grenades until the last part of health. That way I could "burst" down the boss with 1-2 freezes rather than having to do several.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Ugh, I was really enjoying this game until Act 2. The open-world thing is just crushing my enjoyment of what was previously a very linear experience. I get it, every game has this type of thing now, its a good way to get "buy in" from the masses but I just didn't expect it to be in Gears. All power to those who wanted the series to expand into this type of thing but I have no interest in driving a skiff from point-to-point just....because.

Multiplayer is phenomenal.
You can just go to the main objective and ignore the side missions.

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Not sure how long it will be before I move on from multiplayer. The flash grenades get old in koth. The breaker mace is so OP, it feels like it was only included to give new players a way to get a kill. If you don't see a frag grenade coming at you in the air or as soon as it lands it is simply too late, you're dead - same with the dropshot. The maps are average. It could be amazing, but these few things get old quickly.

Oct 28, 2017
You can just go to the main objective and ignore the side missions.
No you cant. Actual gameplay abilities are tied to the side content. You will be at a literal gameplay disadvantage if you just stick to the main path. This is why I wish the Jack upgrades were linear progression not tied to collectibles. I can't ignore the exploration, and believe me with how it dragged down the pacing I wanted to.

And by the way some of those ultimate abilities proved to be bloody vital in my playthrough. I can't imagine how much I would have struggled if I had none of them.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Yeah, I also managed to stealth kill most of them after a few tries. That was on Experienced, however, I'll be there soon in my Insane run, so that will be interesting to revisit.

The video is great, by the way. I've also had luck using Shock Traps to slow Wardens down.

No you cant. Actual gameplay abilities are tied to the side content. You will be at a literal gameplay disadvantage if you just stick to the main path.

Ultimate abilities are a nice incentive for exploration, but depending on your chosen difficulty, you can get by without them. You can even get by with a limited amount of standard Jack upgrades, but you'll have to spend more time respecing Jack to better suit some of more difficult encounters. Many encounters can be won with just enough patience, and some tactical consideration, even on Insane.

Last edited:

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I just went alone on the chopper in hive mode because my teammates went around.. getting ammo I guess, pretty funny. I hope they got the clear atleast.

Gotta say that it's really nice to get a free battle pass in a game, will the next tour's be free too?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
So in regards to cross-play, if I play on PC am I always matched with console and PC players? I'm finding a lot of bot lobbies in classic quickplay. Maybe I should just hop into ranked.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I miss having Hammerburst as my primary weapon on MP.

Don't know why they removed that option :/

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Seems they fixed the ranked matchmaking problem in Asia, at least for now. That's great!

Vasgar is becoming one of my favorite Team Deathmatch maps. I just like the flow and general aggression that the map promotes. Got my first 5K there, too, which helps.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I miss having Hammerburst as my primary weapon on MP.

Don't know why they removed that option :/
They didn't know how to properly balance it in MP, it was either underpowered or overpowered, so they just removed it as a loadout option and put it on map as pick up weapon 1.5 years into Gears 4 because it was "over-effective when used by a team of players".

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of fully upgraded abilities, I think stim revive and flash freeze were the only must haves. Camo was really great too but you don't really need the last node. Just the one that extends the timer on kill. Pop camo and go in executing everyone. Ezpz.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
As far as I know, all Tours will be. Next one starts in December with free maps and characters.
That's really great, will probably get me to play gears for a long time.
Is anyone getting the "video card stopped working" bug in Gears 5? It's happening to me and it always happens in loading screens. Weird.
I got a couple since I updated my nvidia driver, I went back to an old one and haven't had a crash since but its only been 2-3 days.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I'm finding Escape to be the mode I want to play the most (sadly only in the top 5% of the leaderboards right now), but always leave my games a little disappointed.
- The load times at the beginning are brutal. You usually wait a minute after everyone's already in the lobby, then have to watch two cutscenes.
- It feels to me like the modifiers aren't in the proper order. enemies doing more damage and regeneration taking longer seem far harder modifiers to me than the gas moving quicker.
- I am really struggling coming from The Division/The Division 2 as my last 3rd person shooters. I find evading enemies, navigating cover effectively pretty frustrating in comparison. The biggest thing for me is having to detach from cover to switch sides on a piece of cover. In single player, no big deal, in Escape, it can mean insta-death with powerful snipers. I guess I'll get used to it.

But yeah...I hope the mode gets adjustments over time, not just new maps.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You still can't see that you've re-upped besides the short 3 seconds while you search a team? I thought that was just a server problem?

Edit

Why are Batista's glasses red in the character screen but then blue everywhere else?

You had one f'n job Coalition, wtf.

Last edited:

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
Just finished the campaign, that was a really good time.

As Fahz said in Act 3... "8 out of 10, we do it again!" Personally, I loved the campaign and felt it was just as strong as Gears 2, if not the strongest in the series.

We really need a classic horde mode without the bullshit classes. I want to use Fahz but not be stuck with precision weapons. I want to rock a lancer GL with my boy.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
Some people have been playing the game since day one. 12, 13 years Hardcore. They zoom around, move like smoke, and know all the tricks by heart. They've played so much, they could body in the dark.

We should play a round so you can carry my butt to the glory land, the top of the leader boards.
I got a level nine linda hamilton, level six Lahni, and level 5 Mac D. Everyone esle is lev one.
Def a hard experience for a new players. Unfortunely i give up again because i have not really interest in keep get rekt everytime XD more like about have no patience to learn and master the game to be at a decent level to compete.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Act 3 yesterday,one thing I really love:
how the rocket is this satisfying through-line for the entire act. You're finding the nose cone, delivering the rocket, and then taking it to launch, ending with a whole boss battle!
Really enjoyed Act 2 and 3 a lot, and they've already rocketed Gears 5 to my favorite in the series (along with story revelations and character motivation that feels like the strongest the series has had). Can't wait to close it out with Act 4!

Side node: really appreciating the soundtrack, and no surprise it's by Ramin Djawadi. Not a ton of views on youtube as I'm looking up the songs, so hopefully these tracks don't get overlooked, really love Kait's Theme!

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017

Yah it is, if I'm ever in just shoot me an invite

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
They need to make some qol changes to horde, I don't wanna see the stat screen and if the host drops don't drop us to menu. I hate the ability to pause as well, should be restricted somehow.