• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty happy they pulled in JD for the opening of the game. It threw me off a bit since, for a lot of his encounters, Kait was actually shown in early trailers for them. Good to transition away from the character rather than just dropping him wholesale.

As for the multiplayer: Escape is great but folk really need to wrap their heads around it being called "escape" and not "fight everything and explore".

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
How stable is the stability of the game's online co-op for PC Game Pass users? I have a few days off coming up but I'm hearing questionable things about the state of the servers.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Pretty happy they pulled in JD for the opening of the game, really threw me off since, for a lot of his encounters, Kait was actually shown in early trailers for those chapters. Good to transition away from the character rather than just dropping him wholesale.

As for the multiplayer: Escape is great but folk really need to wrap their heads around it being called "escape" and not "fight everything and explore".

Seems some people take it too literally and just runs off alone and leaves people to die and pull everything ... the poison dont move that fast tbh. You can take it pretty slow

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Seems some people take it too literally and just runs off alone and leaves people to die and pull everything ... the poison dont move that fast tbh. You can take it pretty slow

It's the folk who double back and end up pulling in more enemies that get me (this is after we've died and now have the exit on the map).

Last edited:

aember

Oct 26, 2017
How stable is the stability of the game's online co-op for PC Game Pass users? I have a few days off coming up but I'm hearing questionable things about the state of the servers.
My group (me and 1 friend on XB1X and 1 person on PC Game Pass), the PC player literally kept disconnecting every 15-20 minutes if it was calm. If there's action - always a guaranteed disconnect.

Granted this was just our experience, so it might be different for you. Hopefully it'll be better after the current server update.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I learned what happens when you're even a little bit in the door path at the end of Escape when the game has decided it's closed.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Ok.

E94egoP.png

aee76pL.png
Wow. Do you get any small benefit for restarting the levels like prestige in COD? I haven't played a lot of Gears multiplayer since Gears 2 so I'm not sure how things go.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
My group (me and 1 friend on XB1X and 1 person on PC Game Pass), the PC player literally kept disconnecting every 15-20 minutes if it was calm. If there's action - always a guaranteed disconnect.

Granted this was just our experience, so it might be different for you. Hopefully it'll be better after the current server update.

That's somewhat disheartening. I also realized that the wide release + Steam release are happening tomorrow so there may also be a new influx of players. Then again, I'd be subbing to Game Pass for 3 months, so I imagine it'd be fixed well before then.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Wow. Do you get any small benefit for restarting the levels like prestige in COD? I haven't played a lot of Gears multiplayer since Gears 2 so I'm not sure how things go.

Yeah you get something, but it's as bad and embarrassing as the rest of the progression system/cosmetic unlocks.

This is what you get when you reach level 100 and do a re-up:

5EbBgTs.jpg

This is what you get for level 200. (Source: Reddit)
I shit you not.

30pTPEr.jpg

I want loot boxes back.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I learned what happens when you're even a little bit in the door path at the end of Escape when the game has decided it's closed.

One of my first rounds I let my slashing of some Juvies pull me through the door like an idiot. I managed to just roll back as it closed, that clip is a keeper.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm partway through act 2 and I'm still not quite sure of what I make of the exploration aspect to the game. I replayed Gears 1 just before Gears 5 and one thing I appreciated so much is how that game just flowed. The pacing was so on point.

There's so much downtime to Gears 5. So much time focused on story and the incentive to explore every nook and cranny makes me progress quite slowly. I don't quite know whether I like it or dislike it at this point. The game certainly doesn't overdo it with loot and the skill tree is simple, and the fact you can respec encourages experimentation which is good. The areas so far have had good room for exploration but it's not overwhelming which is something I feared. It seems to be done well.

But something I'm really starting to notice is that when I have a proper combat encounter my reaction tends to be "YES FINALLY! BEEN TOO LONG!"

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I want loot boxes back.
Instead of wanting the developers to fix a bad system that's very much a fixable system, you want the absolute worst monetization system in the games industry to date to come back.

I'm so tired of seeing this knee-jerk reaction. The game's been out for three days, and it has far more problems than a poorly thought-out battle pass and prestige rewards.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
The collectibles are bugged to all hell. Smh
fwiw, this is from their forums from last night:

"Update: 7:30pm PT
We have identified a second issue with the stats service.

All stats have been recorded, but players have issues retrieving them. We are close to a fix, and apologize for any service disruption. We will post an update as soon as we deploy."

You're missing Pack 1; it has the Kait Banner. Somehow I have it but I'm missing Pack 2 with the JD Banner.
This happened to me. I contacted both Xbox and Rockstar customer support. We'll see how it goes. I'm missing Pack 2 with Kait's banner. I think it has to do with redeeming codes from Walmart. It seems to have given me the Walmart pack in place of Pack 2.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have the complete act and chapter list?

I'm on act 3 chapter 3 and am wondering how much is left. Hopefully beat it before the weekend is out!

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Been trying to play the campaign online with my cousin this afternoon. It kicked us 4 times while loading and then finally we got halfway through the first mission and it lagged him out.

This is unacceptable. Combining this with the bugs others are having here and on reddit I am just giving up today. Game looks great. Wish it would work.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Anyone else having their completed missions showing up as 'incomplete'?
Yes. Half of Act II and all of Act III. I played them on Experienced, too, so I'm hoping the fixes they are putting in place will fix this along with the collectibles issues. I also didn't get an achievement for beating all chapters on any difficulty when I beat the game because of it.

We'll see.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
So how is the multiplayer?
For some reason it feels more campy. I played the worst match of TDM yesterday where we won the first round but then the enemy team decided to just not move from cover inside the diner or whatever it is and fire lancers and it was impossible to even approach them. Maybe it was the map.

I dunno, I'm having fun for the most part but now I think I might've enjoyed 4 more.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
For some reason it feels more campy. I played the worst match of TDM yesterday where we won the first round but then the enemy team decided to just not move from cover inside the diner or whatever it is and fire lancers and it was impossible to even approach them. Maybe it was the map.

I dunno, I'm having fun for the most part but now I think I might've enjoyed 4 more.
Thanks for the honest answer

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019

A simple smoke grenade would help. Most people equip the stun and leave it at that. Smoke is for dodging/clearing out campers like that.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Holy Shit. I just finished it, so I can finally start my review. But damn if Gears didn't fuck me up.

How the hell is that decision going to affect Gears 6?

An amazing ride with a few issues here and there. Better gunplay, a better script and they took off the kid gloves. Loved it.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
Absolutely awful launch for anyone wanting to play co-op. Spend more time in lobbies trying to join a game together than actually playing it. Frustrating!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only half way through (this is going to take me fucking ages lol), but I am loving this campaign. I'm going to dub it Gears of Lore.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
My screen goes black for a few seconds, didnt happen on first playthrough. Its happening after every few seconds, just fade to black and then it continues. I am not connected to the internet.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Holy Shit. I just finished it, so I can finally start my review. But damn if Gears didn't fuck me up.

An amazing ride with a few issues here and there. Better gunplay, a better script and they took off the kid gloves. Loved it.
Everything you've said is totally how I feel about it. What a ride. I'm still thinking on it all and god the gunplay and gameplay design were glorious.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think they're gonna do some kind of vote as to which one they pick.

Kind of like how they handled carmine live or die previously.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else encountered a weird thing with party chat on PC?

I'm playing with my friend on console, so we're both on an Xbox party chat, yet I can still hear game chat, and game chat can hear me.

So basically I can hear my friend and game chat at the same time

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Instead of wanting the developers to fix a bad system that's very much a fixable system, you want the absolute worst monetization system in the games industry to date to come back.

I'm so tired of seeing this knee-jerk reaction. The game's been out for three days, and it has far more problems than a poorly thought-out battle pass and prestige rewards.

Unfortunately, yes it has, I'm not disagreeing here.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far the campaign is better than a lot of other recent games and it's maybe the best looking game since FH4 imo. Great game so far. I suck at competitive online games but I still play cuz of Sarah Connor lol.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
and you dont earn ranks in custom games? Cmon Coalition people like playing no respawn games too damn

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I'm at Act 2 Chapter 5 and this game is a delight. Turned down difficulty to Intermediate, though.

But man. Y'all. I like that they're finally addressing some long-dangling plot threads and fleshing out some previously glossed over details. Love the pacing and variety, too.

Dunno if it's "the best looking game of the generation". That initial entryway with the pine trees in New Hope looked kinda rough.

Last edited: