• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
TIL you can hack the enemy bot so they protect you with a shield instead. Would've made some fights go down easier.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
I have no idea what I'm doing. Does anyone have any tips for Horde mode? Is there a manual in-game about this? Like I really don't get where enemies spawn or why, and I have no idea about tactics for the larger enemies.
I'd say treat it as a sort of a tower defense game with the fabricator as a base. You can place various fortifications which greatly help. Its good to find a defensible point on the map as a choke point for enemies (i:e upstairs on Icebound). When you're at the end of a wave its good to leave 1 or more enemies alive to give time to repair fortifications, grab ammo, and prepare for the next wave. When you fight bosses its sometimes better to just clears the ads(additional enemies) before fighting the boss themselves. Its also good to lure them away from your base if it threatens to destroy your fortifications.

Don't forget to use and upgrade fortifications. Even having barriers placed is enough to slow down enemies and give you some time. You can deposit the power you get into the fabricator for the entire squad to have access to, give it players individually by aiming at them and hitting "give power", or keep it on your person to make sure nobody will use your power on a fortification you don't want (mostly in the case of public with randoms).

And can I skip the screen with scores that comes after every round? It just wastes time for me. ⌚

Nope, can't skip. You can, however, walk around and pick things up. Like power, weapons, ammo boxes, etc. It really helps if you're next to an ammo box at the end of the wave and snatch it up before it spawns another next wave.

And last question: is it always such a long game? Can you choose the amount of rounds? It takes ages to get through the mode. (•_•)
You can choose if you host a game, otherwise no. People dont typically stick around for all 50 waves or even make it all 50 waves with randoms :S. Its mostly a private group type of thing.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I played through about 4 hours of the campaign last night with 2 friends. This might be the best co-op game I've ever played. The robot guy is super helpful & we're having a blast every moment. I haven't played a Gears game in almost 10 years now but this feels great

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Still making my way through campaign but I have to say, Jack is an amazing addition to the game. I'm playing on Experienced difficulty and his abilities are essential in certain encounters. It really changes up the battles compared to the previous games.

Oct 27, 2017
Hit my first infinite checkpoint bug. I guess i'll wait until a patch before playing more because this shit sucks
Yep, twice today I've hit it. Seeing a bunch of people on my twitter complaining about it, too.

I would take my console offline to see if it's a network issue - but this isnt my primary console. It's a real shame as I'm really enjoying the game.

Did any of the reviews mention this? Because if they didn't, I'm guessing it's networking related. Has there been any comment from Coalition?

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Jeez snipers are even more OP in arcade. There's no reason to run a Gnasher class when you can just one-shot everyone long and close range.

Xbox players should probably turn off crossplay because this is the best lineup on PC right now.

fahz25kwg.png

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, twice today I've hit it. Seeing a bunch of people on my twitter complaining about it, too.

I would take my console offline to see if it's a network issue - but this isnt my primary console. It's a real shame as I'm really enjoying the game.

Did any of the reviews mention this? Because if they didn't, I'm guessing it's networking related. Has there been any comment from Coalition?
It's network related due to play anywhere. If you go offline all the glitches go away. Stats and Dave's are messed up.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Damn, Escape mode with 4 difficulty settings, went up from Level 67 to 77.
Had luck at the end cause there is a bug at the moment that when someone left and rejoins then all enemies disappear if you die 1-2 times again with the rejoined player.

But still, the game acts like I never played through one of them, no time in the leaderboards or statistics. That really sucks.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Lol longshot on mouse is actually hilarious. Just railing off back to back headshots anytime someone pokes out.

Oct 26, 2017
I've only been able to completely play 1of 3 multi rounds. It's crashed twice at the what of the map.

Between this and the campaign progression bugs. I might wait a week to play it more

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
My brother and I got through Act 1 without any bugs, but now I'm scared to start up Act 2, as it seems that's where the save issues are coming up

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I hope my save didn't get corrupted last night. I died and the saving progress loading circle just sat there indefinitely against the blood red death background. I just shut the game off and went to sleep.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Every horde character has different skills and weapons (and one weapon or type of weapon they do more damage with. Example: Marcus -> Lancer). Sadly currently every character in a horde match has to be unique. You might haven chosen Kait, but someone else too. In that case one of you gets automatically a different character.
Some characters are more fighters (like Marcus) and others are more a support role (like Jack).

It's a good idea to just play a few waves with the different characters in a private game (you can do this alone or with friends). Horde -> Custom -> Host Match (missing players are automatically filled up with bots. You can configure that: it's the left box in the horde lobby "Horde - Survive 50 waves")
This way you can explorer and test on you own speed and every map you want.

Some other aspects that are not quite clear from the beginning:
  • Read about the special skill of every character and how the skill is recharged. The default way is buy getting points (kills, assists, etc.).
  • The enemies drop energy. The energy should be collected (Does not matter who collects it. Every player get his share.). With this energy you can level up 4 skills (unique for every character) for the current horde match. These skills always start at level 1. You can do this only in the 30 second window after a wave is completed. You open that menu with the Y button and use the left / right / etc. to choose the upgrade. Important: The Y button normal actives the special character skill so watch out. Y only opens the skill menu in the countdown phase!
  • Every horde character has a dedicated level from 1 to 18. With every level up you get more skills and you can have up to 5 of them active for one game. And you can level up these skills with random cards. You access this configuration menu in the horde lobby (character picture -> change setup) or when pressing the start button and then customize -> characters -> horde.
  • Playing "solo" works for the first few waves. After that people have to play as a team.
  • With LB + RB you can skip the countdown, but only of all players agree to it (all players have to press LB & RB).

No manual or tutorial. In regards of enemies it should become clear after fighting them a few times.

No.

At the moment there is only the 50 wave variant. Going by Gears 4 I am sure they will release the 25 version later. If you don't have the time for 50 just play a few waves. With the integrated sever browser you can also jump in a match that is for example in wave 30 of 50.
Thank you so much for the answer! I really had no clue about any of this. Really appreciate it. 🥰

I think it's going to be more fun now that have some more info about the mode. Really hope they add a shorter version of it. I enjoy the idea of the mode but 50 waves is too long for me.

I'm actually generally enjoying the multiplayer modes so far! 🤸‍♂️ Escape is cool especially if you play with a good group.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Cool twice now I've lost progress because the game has froze up on me.

I think it's related to instant on but replaying stuff because of this sucks.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm enjoying this game way more than any other Gears game.

I uh...was not expecting this but holy shit.

Game is fucking fantastic.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Jeez snipers are even more OP in arcade. There's no reason to run a Gnasher class when you can just one-shot everyone long and close range.

Xbox players should probably turn off crossplay because this is the best lineup on PC right now.

fahz25kwg.png

i'm pretty much a noob to Gears multiplayer but my experience so far is that nearly every game will have a couple of snipers that just devastate your team and the sound is so good on the game that it's impossible to sneak up on them without detection. It's crazy how effective they are.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Gears MP always seems to attract the worst sort of people in voice chat, I've only played a few matches and I'm already tempted to just turn voice chat off.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
The matriarch fight is honestly one of the worst boss fights in a game this year. Omg with all the fucking bullshit. 😂

Dear developers, if you cant design a boss fight just fucking dont. Please.

Too much health, one shot mechanics(on medium) and scripted shit where it turns red and you dont see anything. Kthxbai

Last edited:

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
M&KB feels like cheating in Gears.
Only really feels like that for precision weapons imo. Stuff like gnasher duels and most other encounters play out fine on pad. But longshot and embar? Let your KB+M players grab them lol. Anyone remotely experienced with pc shooters will clean up.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Only really feels like that for precision weapons imo. Stuff like gnasher duels and most other encounters play out fine on pad. But longshot and embar? Let your KB+M players grab them lol. Anyone remotely experienced with pc shooters will clean up.
Which is what I mean... it gives an advantage for specific weapons, and no downside.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I was about to post about how fun this game is to play on Experienced and then I got to the abandoned mine. Fuck off.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
So campaign co-op is not working at all at the moment? Just tried getting into a game with a friend, no matter who was hosting as soon as the mission started to load the other one was removed.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Campaign finished, a little underwhelmed by the story tbh but it was really fun to play all around. Act III and IV go crazy

Kinda sucks that the servers problems are affecting my achievements, got at least 3 that didn't pop, including the one from finishing the campaign

TIL you can hack the enemy bot so they protect you with a shield instead. Would've made some fights go down easier.

yeah, its pretty handy. All Jack's abilities are great, really take the gameplay to another level with a bunch of options to tackle the fights

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
It's kinda weird how Kat has the same support skill in Escape that she does in Horde.

The skill that has to do with building/repairing fortifications.... which is kinda useless in Escape.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
The matriarch fight is honestly one of the worst boss fights in a game this year. Omg with all the fucking bullshit. 😂

Too much health, one shot mechanics(on medium) and scripted shit where it turns red and you dont see anything. Kthxbai
It's actually really easy to kill him, just freeze him with the jack ability or with the crio weapon and then shot at the back, when it turns red just stay away from him...

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Is the checkpoint bug in the PC version as well? Getting annoying on my XB1X to the point it dampens the enjoyment of the game. Definitely glad for Game Pass this time.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in act 1 just after the helicopter went down after talking to Jinn and I'm not sure what to do? No objective has loaded and I'm stuck in a room that seemingly has no exits. Trying to exit to the main menu and reload the checkpoint just causes the game to load infinitely. Did I fuck something up?

Lupic

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
How are the online services coping this afternoon, Era? The past few days have obviously been rocky, not long got home from work and feel like playing some ranked but not if the servers are still taking a shit.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

Is this the year of terrible boss fights?

RE2 and Plague's Tale also had those issues

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I'm in act 1 just after the helicopter went down after talking to Jinn and I'm not sure what to do? No objective has loaded and I'm stuck in a room that seemingly has no exits. Trying to exit to the main menu and reload the checkpoint just causes the game to load infinitely. Did I fuck something up?
IIRC, you have to use Jack's Stim ability to run through the thin wall of flames.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Waist deep into Act 2, I'm playing on Insane for whatever reason so it's a bit of grind but I'm enjoying it so far. The Gears 2 callbacks are pretty neat but I've been hit by the checkpoint bug more times than I'd like. I'm also still getting kicked out of MP and horde games as well.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If it is the Stim part, that is quite obscure unless you happen to switch to the Stim. I didn't, as I wasn't interested in using it as, at the time, I was using scanner for finding items.

A bit annoying.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
This campaign is fucking off the chain good. This is the best Gears since 2. Maybe since 1.

I like that they are going back and cleaning up dangling plot threads left by Epic.

Well fucking done Coalition.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
It's actually really easy to kill him, just freeze him with the jack ability or with the crio weapon and then shot at the back, when it turns red just stay away from him...

Why excuse terrible game design? No its not really easy to kill him as its takes like goddamn 15 minutes to take his HP down. He has a TON of health and just like that you are dead because you got either picked up, run over or jumped on.

This boss fight is pure shit and it really sours me on an otherwise good game.