• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

Get ready for the ultimate jump-in / jump-out Gears 5 Versus experience in Arcade, featuring Heroes with distinct playstyles that let you play your way more than ever before. Learn more about Arcade: https://Gears5.com/Arcade Subscribe to Xbox Game Pass and be one of the first to play in the Versus Tech Test on July 19th. Access is also available through digital pre-orders and physical pre-orders at participating retailers. https://Gears5.com/TechTest

Info on the brand new Arcade mode:

The Tech Test features 5 heroes* to choose from in Arcade Deathmatch:

Hunter – Kait / Swarm Hunter

• Passive: Increased Movement Speed
  • Bounty: Execute for an additional Skull
  • Loadout: Hammerburst, Talon Autopistol, Smoke Grenade
  • Upgrades: Boltok, Incendiary Grenades, Torque Bow

Kait and the Swarm Hunter are versatile characters thanks to their fast movement and vision-blocking smoke grenades.

Their weapons let them catch enemies off guard at range before relocating to avoid being targeted by opponents, or by executing fast flanks on unsuspecting enemies with Incendiaries and Talon.

Support – JD / Swarm Drone

• Passive: Spot enemies who damage you. Enemies you spot reward health to killer.
  • Bounty: Multi-kill for an additional Skull.
  • Loadout: Lancer, Snub Pistol, Flashbangs
  • Upgrades: 3 Random Weapon upgrade slots of varying quality

JD and the Drone are the backbone of any team, providing critical healing to teammates who kill any opponents you mark while supporting from a distance with his sturdy loadout.

While their weapon upgrades are randomized, this gives JD and the Drone more versatility as they move between supporting fights and taking out enemies. Plus, who doesn't love a little surprise sometimes? This hero character is recommended for new players to give the best variety of power weapons.

Heavy – Del / Scion

• Passive: Receive Stim(Extra health above the normal maximum) for Kills
  • Bounty: Multi-kill for an additional Skull
  • Loadout: Hammerburst, Talon Autopistol
  • Upgrades: Buzzkill, Mulcher, RL-4 Salvo

If you're all about the big guns, Del or the Scion is the hero for you.

While Heavy Weapons make this a slower paced hero than others, their passive ability adds additional health (known as Stim) every time they get a kill. This helps them survive when exposing themselves to engage with Heavy Weapons.

CQB – Marcus / Swarm Grenadier

• Passive: Cover slide speed and distance increased
  • Loadout: Enforcer, Snub Pistol, Smoke Grenade
  • Upgrades: Shock Grenades, Gnasher, Breaker Mace

For the bold and the brave, these heroes are all about getting up close and very personal. Their loadout and weapon tree sacrifices range in exchange for some potent close range weaponry.

Without many tools to fight at range, their passive allows them to take cover quickly and close the gap. If you see Marcus or the Grenadier pull out Breaker… run.

Sniper – Fahz / Swarm Sniper

• Passive: Immune to flinching when ADS or fully scoped
  • Bounty: Headshot kill for an additional Skull
  • Loadout: Lancer, Talon Autopistol, Flashbang
  • Upgrades: Boltok, Marzka, Longshot

Fahz and the Swarm Sniper are for players that love to snipe from a distance thanks to their headshot centric weapons of increasing quality.

Both can take hits without flinching while they line up those sweet headshots on opponents that dare to challenge them at range, so keep calm and land your shots to make them truly shine.

Extra info on the Tech Test duration:

What can I expect in the Gears 5 Tech Test?

For Gears 5's Technical Test, we're bringing three distinct modes across two brand new multiplayer maps to play throughout both test periods:

Arcade: A new approachable, frenetic Versus experience.
Escalation: The pinnacle objective mode of Gears is back and better than ever.
King of the Hill: Capture the hill, enjoy the carnage.

In addition, you'll also get to try out two new features of Gears 5:
Bootcamp: Practice your skills and learn new mechanics in our new training mode.
Tour Of Duty: Experience a mini Tour of Duty, where you'll complete Medals to unlock exclusive Tester Weapon Skins to take into Gears 5. Complete all 3 Medals to unlock the exclusive Tester Banner to showcase in Gears 5.

We'll reveal more about Gears 5 Versus next week followed by a weekend of electric Gears 5 Escalation action and more from the ELEAGUE Invitational tournament (July 13th – 14th).

When will the Gears 5 Tech Test be available?

Beginning July 17th at 10am PDT, the Tech Test will be available to pre-download for eligible players. The Tech Test will be approximately 15GB.

The first Technical Test period will run from July 19th at 10am PDT until July 22nd at 10am PDT.
The second Technical Test period will run from July 26th at 10am PDT until July 29th at 10am PDT.

During Test periods, our goal is to test our servers handling an influx of players ahead of launch day. Gears 5 has an access queue system in place to protect server stability as much as possible – please be aware you may encounter some queueing as you start to play.

Between test periods, the Tech Test will remain available for download but servers will be offline.

Gears5_Arcade_explained_20-5d2d2fb405cb8-1024x576.jpg

TerribleUnluckyLacewing-size_restricted.gif

PalatableOilyAfricangoldencat-size_restricted.gif
GivingRaggedIndianpangolin-size_restricted.gif

ParchedAssuredArmyworm-size_restricted.gif
FirsthandImmediateAyeaye-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It's like gungame...I'm ready! I don't even like Gears like that but I love gungame...definitely trying it out.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I feel like the whole "leave some icon at the spot you killed someone" is kind of dumb. No one is going to be paying attention to some blood pattern on the ground during a match.

Other than that looks pretty good. Will be playing this weekend.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Amazing. Will be playing with my buddies day one thanks to gamepass.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
That looked really good, can't wait to try this out. It's a good thing they have something for the casuals to play since the game becomes very difficult at a certain point in multiplayer.

Oct 25, 2017
Never got into Gears multiplayer but Locusts doing emotes is silly enough that I'll give this a go for a weekend.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, looks beautiful. Love the environments and variety! Feels like a decent sized jump from other Gears.

"We wanted to make sure it was a mode that was familiar to people who had played Gears before, but also opened up a whole new style of play that wasn't just shotgun gameplay,

Music to my ears.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I just updated my Xbox and I'm READY. Gonna play some Gears 4 tonight to get rid of some of my rust. Need to get my wallbouncing back up to snuff.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I like how it looks in the trailer but once the game is released half of your team will run around like this:

gearshitzbjxd.png

+ all kinds of animated rainbow or pink weapon skins etc.

Wish they kept the serious tone of the first 2 games for multiplayer

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Oh man, looks beautiful. Love the environments and variety! Feels like a decent sized jump from other Gears.

the level with the crumbled house of sovereign is really nice, bright and colorful like a 90's sega arcade game. they barely show it in the trailer but I think you guys will be impressed.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Arcade sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to it...but do we not get to play the new escalation mode at all this test? :(

Also lol to the people who want serious skins in comp multiplayer. That's what a campaign is for. MP is just about the mechanics and doing it in style.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Other game modes confirmed for launch:

In addition to Arcade, Escalation, and King of the Hill, players can also look forward to other modes like Arms Race, Dodgeball, Execution, Guardian, Team Deathmatch, and Warzone.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
The trailer was a lot of fun! I didn't expect Arcade to essentially be gun game, but I dig it. It's a good way of forcing people off the Gnasher, thats for sure.

Looking forward to giving this a go on the weekend.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
We are excited to reveal your first look at Arcade, a brand new type of Versus experience for all types of players. This ultimate jump-in / jump-out mode brings hero characters, each with their own distinct abilities and weapon upgrades, to Gears 5 Versus players.

Arcade Deathmatch is just the beginning, where two teams of five race to be first to 50 kills. This promises to be unlike any Gears Team Deathmatch you've ever played!

■ Zero to Heroes

Picking a character is more than just who you want to play—it's about choosing the way you want to play.

Each hero character has a unique combat style defined by a passive ability, a bounty, a loadout, and a dedicated set of weapon upgrades.

These traits let you play your way more than ever before, whether you want to get up close and personal, keep at a distance with the Longshot or somewhere in between—we've got the character for you.

The Tech Test features five heroes* to choose from in Arcade Deathmatch:

Hunter – Kait / Swarm Hunter

• Passive: Increased Movement Speed
  • Loadout: Hammerburst, Talon Autopistol, Smoke Grenade
  • Upgrades: Boltok, Incendiary Grenades, Torque Bow
Kait and the Swarm Hunter are versatile characters thanks to their fast movement and vision-blocking smoke grenades.

Their weapons let them catch enemies off guard at range before relocating to avoid being targeted by opponents, or by executing fast flanks on unsuspecting enemies with Incendiaries and Talon.

Support – JD / Swarm Drone

• Passive: Spot enemies who damage you. Enemies you spot reward health to killer.
  • Bounty: Multi-kill for an additional Skull.
  • Loadout: Lancer, Snub Pistol, Flashbangs
  • Upgrades: 3 Random Weapon upgrade slots of varying quality
JD and the Drone are the backbone of any team, providing critical healing to teammates who kill any opponents you mark while supporting from a distance with his sturdy loadout.

While their weapon upgrades are randomized, this gives JD and the Drone more versatility as they move between supporting fights and taking out enemies. Plus, who doesn't love a little surprise sometimes? This hero character is recommended for new players to give the best variety of power weapons.

Heavy – Del / Scion

• Passive: Receive Stim(Extra health above the normal maximum) for Kills
  • Bounty: Multi-kill for an additional Skull
  • Loadout: Hammerburst, Talon Autopistol
  • Upgrades: Buzzkill, Mulcher, RL-4 Salvo
If you're all about the big guns, Del or the Scion is the hero for you.

While Heavy Weapons make this a slower paced hero than others, their passive ability adds additional health (known as Stim) every time they get a kill. This helps them survive when exposing themselves to engage with Heavy Weapons.

CQB – Marcus / Swarm Grenadier

• Passive: Cover slide speed and distance increased
  • Loadout: Enforcer, Snub Pistol, Smoke Grenade
  • Upgrades: Shock Grenades, Gnasher, Breaker Mace
For the bold and the brave, these heroes are all about getting up close and very personal. Their loadout and weapon tree sacrifices range in exchange for some potent close range weaponry.

Without many tools to fight at range, their passive allows them to take cover quickly and close the gap. If you see Marcus or the Grenadier pull out Breaker… run.

Sniper – Fahz / Swarm Sniper

• Passive: Immune to flinching when ADS or fully scoped
  • Bounty: Headshot kill for an additional Skull
  • Loadout: Lancer, Talon Autopistol, Flashbang
  • Upgrades: Boltok, Marzka, Longshot
Fahz and the Swarm Sniper are for players that love to snipe from a distance thanks to their headshot centric weapons of increasing quality.

Both can take hits without flinching while they line up those sweet headshots on opponents that dare to challenge them at range, so keep calm and land your shots to make them truly shine.

■ Eliminations Get Skulls, Skulls Get Weapons

Skulls play a critical role in boosting your power and claiming victory on the battlefield.

Each Elimination (a kill or assist) puts Skulls in your bank for you to purchase upgrades from your character's unique weapon tree. Each weapon tree offers weapons of increasing power to pick from– the better the weapon, the more Skulls you'll need to cash in to equip it.

Cash in Skulls at any time to upgrade, even in the middle of a fight. And don't worry, Skulls aren't streak based, so you'll keep your unspent Skulls even if you die. If you want to mix it up and change characters mid-match, the skulls transfer over so a new character can even start with their most powerful weapon option.

Finally, earn Skulls even faster by using each character's specific bounty that earns you bonus Skulls.

■ Love that Pop!

Headshots are better than ever in Gears 5, and you'll see them often in the amped up action of Arcade Mode.

Exclusively in Arcade, headshot damage is boosted to give every weapon a chance to pop heads. This makes Arcade the most fast-paced, visceral experience in Gears Versus. Aim for the head and watch them pop!

Additionally, to keep the focus on each Hero's distinctive play style, slide cancels in Arcade have a longer cooldown than the standard one-tuning found in the rest of the Versus experience. Without wall bouncing in Arcade, cover to cover action truly shines and we can't wait for you to try it.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Does anyone know if the game will have similiar progression to Gears of War 3? I loved earning those medals and skins.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I like how it looks in the trailer but once the game is released half of your team will run around like this:

gearshitzbjxd.png

What do you expect? All of these studios just trying to follow that Fortnite trend. I too miss the seriousness of the first few games. It's why I've become less interested in Gears as time has gone on.

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Heads-up on the Tech Test OT. I'll open/start the thread very close after people can download the Tech Test.
For discussion on Arcade or the trailer, that stuff can happen here :)

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
What do you expect? All of these studios just trying to follow that Fortnite trend. I too miss the seriousness of the first few games. It's why I've become less interested in Gears as time has gone on.
This really bothers you that much? It's gonna have the serious cosmetics. Nobody uses them cuz people want something more unique.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017

I'd expect them to cut the crap. Why is stuff like that needed? There are games out there that only offer serious skins.

Oct 19, 2018

gearshitzbjxd.png

I'm with you, I wish they could reign alot of that stuff in. The Coalition did acknowledge pretty openly that people didn't like the color blast style skins as much. I dont doubt the game will be as you describe around launch; but playing 4, the amount of people who still use those is pretty low among the players who are still active.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My experience with Gears multiplayer is like one round of the first game at launch, like two with 3, and a couple with Ultimate. Never been a fan of it, but this looks fun enough. I'll give it a shot through the Pass.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
but playing 4, the amount of people who still use those is pretty low among the players who are still active.
That's, from my experience anyway, because they brought back the Locust.

I've been playing fairly actively the past couple weeks, I've legitimately seen zero Swarm in Versus. It's just all the fan favorites from Gears 3 and I absolutely love it. Same deal for the COG side - mostly Gears 3 skins are being used.