• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. It feels like they switched on the PG13 button even with all this gore. I gotta say the hit reaction of enemies compared in both games really shocked me, G5 just lacked the punch.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This right here is among the clearer signals for how deliberately misleading the video is. And it's hard not to look at it as a total give-away for foregone conclusions if people are reacting positively to the video without at least calling that much out.
That's the big problem with this video. It presents itself as an honest critique but it's fundamentally dishonest because it nit picks, ignores areas of improvement, and by design omits all context for anything.

It is specious by design and intent.

Wow. It feels like they switched on the PG13 button even with all this gore. I gotta say the hit reaction of enemies compared in both games really shocked me, G5 just lacked the punch.
That's because nobody likes flinch in their gameplay. Enemy NPCs still flop and flail around. That's an example of the missing context.

Oct 28, 2017
Some real valid things shown in that video. I definitely feel the difference.

With that said, as far as environmental destruction goes that's a real nitpick since Gears 5 really ups that in different ways and ways that even affect gameplay.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Wow - I disagree completely. Gears 5 feels snappy and reactive in shooting.

ANy sort of "reduction" in fidelity in other areas can easily chalked up to development priorities or other time oddities.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
That's the big problem with this video. It presents itself as an honest critique but it's fundamentally dishonest because it nit picks, ignores areas of improvement, and by design omits all context for anything.

It is specious by design and intent.
It also pulls from different Gears games for negative comparisons but only features one encounter from 5.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The responses sound resoundingly like "He didn't like something about this thing I like! How dare he!!!! So nitpicky!"

C'mon, people. Let's not trash people for a harmless opinion on the game's presentation.

The animations/reactions were clearly heavily toned down, and some people may not like thay big of a stylistic change. It's not about the sound.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
The responses sound resoundingly like "He didn't like something about this thing I like! How dare he!!!! So nitpicky!"

C'mon, people. Let's not trash people for a harmless opinion on the game's presentation.

The animations/reactions were clearly heavily toned down, and some people may not like thay big of a stylistic change. It's not about the sound.
Do you even watch Crow's videos? Theres a lot of quackery and nitpicking with audio/visual tricks.

Anybodys whos ACTUALLY played Gears 5 knows how loud and intense most of that game is.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I watched the video but could you elaborate more on this? It really just seemed like Crowbcat was showing some small details lost in Gears 5, but alot of them don't really seem to... affect gameplay.
I think over a decade later on a new generation of hardware it's pretty ridiculous that we'd lose any detail, big or small. Ultimately these are not technical limitations they are design decisions/oversights and they affect overall game-feel; they add up. Same with the Crackdown differences.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

And this is how you get reaction posts like this. People not playing Gears who also lack context or experience with the games involved to participate in decent discussion chiming in with this as their ONLY reference point.

This thread and its video sucks.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Maybe play the game before making this comment.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
worst part is the vegetation not reacting to the player in gears 5. Looks so out of place when the graphics are so good. Same with Horizon Zero Dawn.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
we'd lose any detail, big or small. Ultimately these are not technical limitations they are design decisions/oversights and they affect overall game-feel; they add up

Like what are you talking about here exactly? Destruction? The Gore? The blood? All of it?

The gore was changed because it seems like a stylistic choice, straight up.

The blood? Hey, good point. Sucks that it doesn't last as long. I mentioned earlier that I noticed clips fall on the floor and stay there for awhile, so while that detail was lost, it seems they have added other details.

The destruction? As someone said earlier, Gears 5 has added destructible pieces that actually affect gameplay.

Like what exactly adds up and makes Gears 2 feel better than Gears 5 for you?

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i definitely noticed that the game lost some of it's uniqueness in terms of art design and tone. i only played the first GoW on the 360 so i'm not sure when it changed so much but if feels like there is a lot more banter between the gears, almost like they took a page from uncharted. the first GoW was much more serious and atmospheric.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
And this is how you get reaction posts like this. People not playing Gears who also lack context to participate in decent discussion chiming in with this as their ONLY reference point.

This thread and its video sucks.

People who haven't played a game defending a video that deliberately misrepresents its points against people who did play those games when they point out those mischaracterizations is pretty meta, you've gotta admit. Just like you point out, it limits what discussion can actually happen, because it has basically nothing to do with reality.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think over a decade later on a new generation of hardware it's pretty ridiculous that we'd lose any detail, big or small. Ultimately these are not technical limitations they are design decisions/oversights and they affect overall game-feel; they add up. Same with the Crackdown differences.
What, specifically, do you feel Gears 5 has lost gameplay and presentation wise that makes it worse than Gears 1/2. With added recoil, the gunplay in 5 is much more impactful than it was in 1 or 2. There's a huge amount of added executions, weather effects destroy and alter the environments, the animations have increased in fluidity and quality across the board, etc.

Like, are you going to get down to details? Or are you just going to remain vague? Have you played Gears 5?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I do miss reactive, highly destructible environments. Feels like that was scaled back a lot this gen.

I was playing Astro Bot the other day, and one of the big things I noticed that I think contributes quite a bit to the game's charm is how almost everything reacts to your input, whether it's light physics upon being sprayed with water, bouncing the loading screen ball with your controller, or just a robotic flower noticing when you look at it, thanks to VR.

Having your input be felt like that goes a long way in adding to the fullness or virtual tangibility of a game, and I wish more titles could/would prioritize those small details.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know what I enjoy more. Crowbcats funny piss take videos or the hyper serious way people react to them 😂

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Im not surprised a negative video on Gears 5 has more talk and posts talking about it than the glowing Digital foundry one.
Why is that you think?

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Like what are you talking about here exactly? Destruction? The Gore? The blood? All of it?

The gore was changed because it seems like a stylistic choice, straight up.

The blood? Hey, good point. Sucks that it doesn't last as long. I mentioned earlier that I noticed clips fall on the floor and stay there for awhile, so while that detail was lost, it seems they have added other details.

The destruction? As someone said earlier, Gears 5 has added destructible pieces that actually affect gameplay.

Like what exactly adds up and makes Gears 2 feel better than Gears 5 for you?
I think you need to re-watch the video my dude. The hit reactions in Gears 2, both for players and enemies is more varied and gives a better sense of bullets connecting in every direction. This isn't really even a minor thing. But I get it, nothing pointed out in the video matters and Gears 5 is perfect, right? Is that what I'm supposed to say? Am I supposed to say that for Crackdown 3 too? Ultimately "weight" is what defined Gears early on and it's a tricky thing to capture, it's how the player feels connected to the game environments. Gears 2 had it, and Gears 5 I do not see it in this video at least.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Most of the changes comes from tone direction:
Gears of War 1 was about horror in war, while the second it was more about "Last Brutal Stand" of humanity, while the third game is all about Survival and Hope.

My point, is that first trilogy is, well, a lot more harsher in tone than the new games.

Gears (of war) 4 and 5 are lot lighter, more about the living in a world after the apocalypse passed while dealing with a new danger. I mean, there is reason why they dropped the "Of War" from the title.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Just discovered people that hate crowbcat with a passion, we learn something every day. His videos are well made at least.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think you need to re-watch the video my dude. The hit reactions in Gears 2, both for players and enemies is more varied and gives a better sense of bullets connecting in every direction. This isn't really even a minor thing. But I get it, nothing pointed out in the video matters and Gears 5 is perfect, right? Is that what I'm supposed to say? Am I supposed to say that for Crackdown 3 too?
What the fuck are you even talking about? Crackdown 3 was widely panned at release. Gears 5 has received a huge amount of praise and is widely seen as the best Gears game by the franchises fan base.

Honestly, if we want to talk about the physics in older Gears games, let's talk about how floaty and rubbery everything felt.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Gnasher gib in Gears 5 is terrible, it's like Gears 1 where they just get cut to pieces and fall to the ground like jenga blocks. Gears 2 introduced momentum to the gibs so the torso would often end up getting blown back due to the force and it wouldn't chop off the lips if what you aimed for was the chest. Gears 3 had the same system I think and Gears 4 was different but the gibbing still didn't feel as bad as Gears 5 jenga block gibbing.

The cosmetic destruction and the water in Gears 2, never returned in any Gears game....3, judgement or 4. It was a special UE 2.5 feature that they introduced to the engine and the only reason it existed was cause they wanted to showcase those features in the game for other developers. It's about priorities really, they didn't focus on it. Very similar to how Farcry 2 has proper destruction and physics for leaves and trees but Farcry 5 barely even has any interaction with vegetation. Games made today focus on just different things, unless there is a specific focus on destruction like Control, Siege, Battlefield.

Regarding the blood decals, they actually caused some of the biggest frame drops in Gears 2 and led to persistent framedrop after a certain point in the game. It was toned down in all later games.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually my biggest criticism of the Gears games after 2. They just became generic looking with eye candy of low-hanging sort of fruit. Beaches, palms, sunsets etc.

There was a depressing but all the more compelling beauty about the cold, rainy and dark ruins of Gears 1 and 2 and quite frankly, I think the series increasingly lost its visual identity with 3 going forward. Gears 5, as great as it may be as a product judged in a vacuum, really seems like it wants to be an Uncharted-like tour of great-looking vistas or something.

oh yes :'(

but most people don't feel this way. for them Gears was just "grey and brown"

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
An interesting video that can be summed up in one sentence.

"Game has changed over time."

hailvera

Sep 4, 2019
I haven't played Gears 5 but I've watched enough Crowbcat videos to know that it pretty much just goes in a "old game good, new game bad" style. Some of their criticisms can be valid but they have a tendency just to cash in on newly released games by using unfair comparisons.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see any fault, The video backs up the claims. You can clearly see the concessions made for that 60fps.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018

Misleading the viewer isn't harmless. In this day and age when social media is everything, something like this can completely make or break a product. Deceptive content can spread like wildfire and most people won't know if it's true or not, or might not even care but it will still leave an impression and they might reference that if they ever want to play the game at a later time. I know it's an extreme example but we've all seen how someone can get voted in as the president of the most powerful country on Earth by lying and deceiving through their teeth and barely anyone questions it. If it had a detrimental effect on that, it can have a detrimental effect on this. The worst bit is the people who wanted the game to fail because of their fanboy autism now have their fuel. It's their lucky day. I wouldn't like this type of content to exist for any game because it's honestly pathetic.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
hit reactions, cover destruction and gore effects in a Gears of War game aren't nitpicks.
Cover destruction is still in Gears 5. And it alters gameplay more than it does in Gears 2.Gears 2 barely even has any complete cover destruction. You can chip low poly pieces of cover off, but it's almost always a cosmetic alteration. And Gears 5 is incredibly gory with dramatically more violent executions compared to 1 and 2.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This dude's still around nitpicking huh
it doesn't really matter.. In the end Gears fans will decide what they prefer and so far it seems TC made all the right decisions with G5. The game is fantastic.

Im not surprised a negative video on Gears 5 has more talk and posts talking about it than the glowing Digital foundry one.
Why is that you think?
Lol. So true. TC has done an amazing job and It is obvious.

Last edited:

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
He's not wrong...

Although controls and movement have improved, the sense of weight and heft in both characters and their actions has been reduced overtime by TC

It's nothing more than a change in direction. It's not a huge deal, but still noticeable.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
What the fuck are you even talking about? Crackdown 3 was widely panned at release. Gears 5 has received a huge amount of praise and is widely seen as the best Gears game by the franchises fan base.

Honestly, if we want to talk about the physics in older Gears games, let's talk about how floaty and rubbery everything felt.
Crowbcat did a similar video of Crackdown differences and it was pretty spot on. Nobody had much an issue with it. Oh, my bad man, I didn't know Gears 5 was well received. Well shit, you're right, looks like this video is ass.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I played the first trilogy on 360, were the games 30fps ? My memory of them is incredible graphics and very fluid framerate. Maybe it's the next gen shock.
Did they remaster Gears 2 since then? Thinking of picking a One X for Gears 5 but if there's older titles, that would be hype !

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
He's not wrong...

Although controls and movement have improved, the sense of weight and heft in both characters and their actions has been reduced overtime by TC

It's nothing more than a change in direction. It's not a huge deal, but still noticeable.
I think its them pulling away from the clunky and heavy Gears characters that many people rightly called "Dude Bro". That faster mobility, animation times etc makes it feel much more responsive but that heaviness is also gone. I think they picked the right direction to widen out, instead of yet another Gears game with ponderous movement and weightiness just because its always been like that.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Crowbcat did a similar video of Crackdown differences and it was pretty spot on. Nobody had much an issue with it. Oh, my bad man, I didn't know Gears 5 was well received. Well shit, you're right, looks like this video is ass.
I just think it's odd that you're comparing a game that'll likely win and be nominated for multiple goty awards to Crackdown 3 lol. Almost like you're trying to put the two games in the same category. The video is disingenuous though.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
He's not wrong...

things are markedly faster and more responsive imo, ergo the slow plodding animations no longer work. makes the game play better to me and i hope it keeps getting faster

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I think its them pulling away from the clunky and heavy Gears characters that many people rightly called "Dude Bro". That faster mobility, animation times etc makes it feel much more responsive but that heaviness is also gone. I think they picked the right direction to widen out, instead of yet another Gears game with ponderous movement and weightiness just because its always been like that.

At the end of the day, I do prefer smooth and responsive movement and animation. Gears 5 doesn't look bad at all.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Wow - I disagree completely. Gears 5 feels snappy and reactive in shooting.

ANy sort of "reduction" in fidelity in other areas can easily chalked up to development priorities or other time oddities.
This. Thanks again for the amazing analysis you guys put out. I am still in Act 1 but I can tell just how much of a step up it is from the previous games.