• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
On one hand, I acknowledge that Microsoft had Gears 5 at almost every one of its big presentations since it was announced.

On the other hand, it felt like its presence at a lot of those presentations was being very subdued. When they announced the release date at E3, the marketing gave me (and it felt like many others) that impression that the game couldn't possibly be that close to finished.

I'm glad it turned out well, I just wish this had a lot more pomp leading up to release to kind of deliver a sense of payoff. I was still lingering on my "Gears 4 is only okay and that feels like a bit of a bummer" taste toward the series, so having some sense of confidence about Gears 5 from its publisher leading up to release would've been great.

Can't wait to eventually play the game myself -- sold my X a couple of months ago under pretense that I'll just play Xbox/Microsoft games on PC when I get back to PC gaming. It'll be one of the first games I go to on my return!

Now that I think about it, I was thinking about selling my X and I was like "what would I actually play on this" and it boiled down to Gears and Forza, and my foremost thought about Gears was "well Gears 4 was kinda so-so..." Some more confident Gears 5 marketing may have well swayed my decision to keep the Xbox.

Feb 10, 2018
Gears is nowhere near as well crafted as Uncharted in my opinion. The story and characters don't really involve me at all and I feel like the gamey-ness is a lot more transparent.

For me Gears is like a really efficient blockbuster video game - fun and easy to play, but doesn't leave much of a lasting impression.

It's like comparing prime Indians Jones to a Micheal Bay movie.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
You mean the one that is basically just DLC?

Why are you being so disingenuous with your comparisons?

Why are you comparing what is, essentially, a DLC side game to a mainline Gears game so you can claim victory?

This is pathetic. It truly is. Take a good look at yourself in the mirror.
It was a $40 stand alone game that got a retail release. Stop making that an excuse for its quality. Left Behind was a $10 dlc and scored higher than it. Why are you getting so emotional over this and start calling people pathetic? You need to take a deep breath and step away from the forums for a while lol

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sick of comparisons. I'm so tired of people in 2019 still trying to force some kind of rivalry in terms of exclusives, or an answer to this or an answer to that.

Why can't we just be happy with the competition internally, that MS are trying to improve on there roster of games and improve there game pass service and such. I don't compare Sony to Nintendo, they both do there own thing, why do we feel this constant need to compare MS to Sony, its apple's and oranges.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was a $40 stand alone game that got a retail release. Stop making that an excuse for its quality. Left Behind was a $10 dlc and scored higher than it. Why are you getting so emotional over this and start calling people pathetic? You need to take a deep breath and step away from the forums for a while lol

A $40 stand alone expansion that took only a year to develop. You also realise The Lost Legacy is sitting at 84 on meta and Gears 5 is sitting at an 85, and that both are sitting at 85 on OpenCritic? There's barely anything between them critically speaking lol. You're really reaching here.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really struggling to get into Gears 5 and didn't have that issue with Uncharted 4 or Lost Lost Legacy.

I can't get over the ridiculous character design, I feel like some of the mechanics (vaulting and cover system) are stuck in the previous generation. I can't take another "war is hell" said in a scruffy voice piece of dialogue.

The game is very polished, but after playing other games to me personally it feels stuck in the past.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I gave up halfway through Gears 1, then skipped to 4 and lasted about two levels before I'd had enough. Gears 5 is better than both, but it still feels like a game stuck in the past. Plus, I don't care about the story and I really dislike the characters. It feels like a Gears game, for better or fo worse. It looks lovely, but xbox 'quick start' has been shitty as usual, sometimes leaving whole levels with unloaded textures so the objects look like claymation models.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The Lost Legacy wasn't 'basically just DLC', what's wrong with some of y'all?
Lost and Damned was basically just DLC. Scored 90.
Ballad of Gay Tony was basically just DLC. Sitting at 89.
Witcher 3 expansion is basically just DLC. Sitting at 92.

But let's not talk about Uncharted "dlc" because reasons.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"Since 4"... dude we got 1 game after 4 stop making it look like some trend. Gears 5 is doing better than Gears 4. Uncharted peaked at 2 and hasn't reached the same height since. Original Gears did that with the first game and set the standard for cover shooters so the 1 or 2 point "decline" isn't as bad as you're making it sound. The first three consistently scored 90+. Yeah, not much of a difference between the two franchises. Both excel at different things.
4 and 5 both didn't break 90 which is a decline from their predecessors and something that Uncharted didn't experience, stop with the disingenuous posts and goal post moving.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You mean calling a retail stand alone game "dlc"? Multiple wrongs don't make a right.

Being stand alone doesn't mean it's a full game. Infamous First Light is also DLC and stand alone. It's really easy to understand the differences between a DLC and a full game, but I see that pushing your agenda is more important so keep it up.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Gears 5 hailed as a win for Microsoft and the return to form for the franchise gets measly 1 point higher than a non-numbered Uncharted game that came out 1 year after the previous mainline entry.

That basically says it all.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not wrong, in multiple interviews they said it was DLC. And it is.
No they said it was going to be DLC but then it started to grow and become something bigger, loads of games probably start out as DLC but then the development evolves into something more and it becomes a fully fledged game.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Being stand alone doesn't mean it's a full game. Infamous First Light is also DLC and stand alone. It's really easy to understand the differences between a DLC and a full game, but I see that pushing your agenda is more important so keep it up.
Whats a full game? Its a 7-10 hours campaign, about as long as Gears 5 on average.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
On one hand, I acknowledge that Microsoft had Gears 5 at almost every one of its big presentations since it was announced.

On the other hand, it felt like its presence at a lot of those presentations was being very subdued. When they announced the release date at E3, the marketing gave me (and it felt like many others) that impression that the game couldn't possibly be that close to finished.

I'm glad it turned out well, I just wish this had a lot more pomp leading up to release to kind of deliver a sense of payoff. I was still lingering on my "Gears 4 is only okay and that feels like a bit of a bummer" taste toward the series, so having some sense of confidence about Gears 5 from its publisher leading up to release would've been great.

Can't wait to eventually play the game myself -- sold my X a couple of months ago under pretense that I'll just play Xbox/Microsoft games on PC when I get back to PC gaming. It'll be one of the first games I go to on my return!

Now that I think about it, I was thinking about selling my X and I was like "what would I actually play on this" and it boiled down to Gears and Forza, and my foremost thought about Gears was "well Gears 4 was kinda so-so..." Some more confident Gears 5 marketing may have well swayed my decision to keep the Xbox.
The marketing of this game is one of the worst i've seen for a high profile project like this. Absolutely awful and I think it is still felt now despite the succes. It could have been a much bigger succes. What a shitshow they did last e3

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope you'll be here too. Send me a PM if Gears 5 help X1 in a big way, especially in sales.
Ah, the problem is your mindest. The game can be a success critically, it can be a massive win for Microsoft but to you this is only valid if the only metric in the world of success is considered, sales. This is especially funny because your favorite plastic box provider makes tons of money from subscriptions.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Comparing games to one another is pretty dumb and nothing good ever comes from it on a forum like this.
I can't wait for Death Stranding to release so we can have the BoTW v Death Stranding threads.....eughh.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think it's a return to form at all. The campaign, while mechanically sound and fun to play, was otherwise quite unremarkable. The more open areas dont change that at all. I even think the game could have been better wizhout them, judging from the blast that was the first act.

But then the game might have turned into another Gears 4. I really dont think The Coalition are on the same level as Epic here and probably never will be with this series.

And then we have Uncharted 4, which not only refined its mechanics, but also delivered a very compelling story and experience. It was memorable and felt "whole". Gears has had cliffhangers twice now, stretching its thin story almost to the breaking point. In the good old 360 days you have fucked the Locust in the ass with every game. When they were over you always felt like you had done it, with only a slight teaser at the end to tell you the fight wasnt really over.

The longer I think about it, the more disappointed I am lol

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think gears even registers on sonys radar or any other ms exclusive. Uncharted reached heights that gears never will.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
From ND's own admission it's a standalone game mate. Stop with this agenda nonsense.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
The Lost Legacy is a standalone spin-off game but it wasn't full price IIRC. Forgot how much it was at launch. Think it was $40?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Officially it was "a standalone expansion to Uncharted 4". It was actually free for those who had the Uncharted 4 Deluxe Edition, Explorers Pack, Season Pass or Triple Pass Expansion. But yes, it was also sold retail seperately too.
Sure but how many DLCs are priced at $40? It grew into something more than that and they had to honor the Uncharted 4 deluxe edition customers. Gears 5 is on Game Pass so I suppose we should compare it to $10 indies?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you people stop it with the console warring? Is this going to be the new normal now that ms has desirable exclusives again?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Imagine arguing over whether a game is stand alone DLC or a "full retail game" just so you can keep console warring.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are some guys in here serious, how is a full-sized, stand alone, retail copy game a DLC?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Lost Legacy was Uncharted's Judgment.
LL was better than both Gears 5 and Uncharted 4.
Are some guys in here serious, how is a full-sized, stand alone, retail copy game a DLC?
It was planned as DLC similar to Left Behind, but it eventually blew up and they decided to also release it as a standalone game. Season Pass buyers got LL with the season pass. It's somewhere in between DLC and full-price game, but in the end, it doesn't matter. LL was a return to form after the poorly paced mess that Uncharted 4 was.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure but how many DLCs are priced at $40? It grew into something more than that and they had to honor the Uncharted 4 deluxe edition customers. Gears 5 is on Game Pass so I suppose we should compare it to $10 indies?

Never said it was DLC, but an expansion. Just a comprehensive stand alone one. Though not comprehensive enough to be charged at a full $60 even though it did also come with Uncharted 4's multiplayer built in.

To be fair, it was a great effort for a 1 year development time lower budget project, but it clearly lacked the scope of the mainline title. I think the reviews are fair.

icexxascended

Jan 8, 2018
Gears 5 hailed as a win for Microsoft and the return to form for the franchise gets measly 1 point higher than a non-numbered Uncharted game that came out 1 year after the previous mainline entry.

That basically says it all.
You playing metas or games? Does Your top rated games fall directly inline with Metacritic scores? Lol